BROKEN ARM...... RCCL in 2 weeks

Good morning, My son broke his arm this weekend and will have a hard cast put on. We are due to cruise on 4/4. I have tons of questions. I am going to call RCCL but I am unsure sure who to contact. Has anyone had any experience with injured children onboard? I want to make sure he can still go to the kids club and participate in activities. I dont want his vacation to be horrible of I will reschedule. Thanks

You don't say how old he is or what types of things he likes to do nor do you mention the ship. Obviously he will be limited with some of the physical activities like rock climbing, using the flow rider, etc. I don't see why he would be restricted from any activity that doesn't require use of the fractured arm.

My kids have not traveled with broken bones but I have. Mine was my foot so I was on a knee scooter/ wheelchair.

I don't know why he would not be able to go to kids club he can pretty much do everything except pools, flowrider and rock climbing. That leaves lots of other activities and my DS all time favorite the arcade. Maybe increasing his arcade budget would help offset some of the sting.

I am not sure how old your son is and there are a few things he won't be able to do like the flowrider but lots of stuff he still can.

If pools and beach matter to him I would order a cast cover to keep his arm covered and clean while at the beach. I got mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-wear-Reusable-Travel-friendly-Bandage-Waterproof/dp/B00LM3BNMS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427200816&sr=8-3&keywords=Arm+cast+cover

I would not recommend getting all the way in the water but at least he could get a little bit in the water.

I can't offer terribly specific advice, just some anecdotes.

My son broke his arm just before a camping vacation when he was 7. We got a decent cast cover and it worked like a charm (that is, until it sprung a leak). Ours was this variety - http://www.drycorp.com/ - recommended by my sister who works in a medical supply store. He participated in most things we would have done if he hadn't have broken his arm. We went to Six Flags, swam in the ocean, went on tours. His cast was full arm, so the cast cover was hard to get on and off (ours was meant to fit tight around the top, lots of stretching to get it over the cast). If your son is in a half arm cast, it will be even easier.

No idea if Adventure Ocean will limit his participation.

On our recent Mariner of the Seas cruise, two different passengers were seen with ankle injuries. One looked like she might have hurt herself on the ship (ankle was bandaged/wrapped), the other looked like she was hurt before (she had a walking boot). They were moving around on crutches, sitting by the pool, etc. I could see the ship staff doing their best to make sure they were comfortable and enjoying their vacation.

Good luck!

Aside from not being able to swim (unless it's a waterproof cast), it shouldn't affect his good time (or yours) at all! Kids are VERY flexible with broken bones, especially arms!

AO will be fine...I don't see why he'd need any special treatment or consideration!

No worries! All of you will be just fine!!!

I can't offer terribly specific advice, just some anecdotes.

My son broke his arm just before a camping vacation when he was 7. We got a decent cast cover and it worked like a charm (that is, until it sprung a leak). Ours was this variety - http://www.drycorp.com/ - recommended by my sister who works in a medical supply store. He participated in most things we would have done if he hadn't have broken his arm. We went to Six Flags, swam in the ocean, went on tours. His cast was full arm, so the cast cover was hard to get on and off (ours was meant to fit tight around the top, lots of stretching to get it over the cast). If your son is in a half arm cast, it will be even easier.

No idea if Adventure Ocean will limit his participation.

On our recent Mariner of the Seas cruise, two different passengers were seen with ankle injuries. One looked like she might have hurt herself on the ship (ankle was bandaged/wrapped), the other looked like she was hurt before (she had a walking boot). They were moving around on crutches, sitting by the pool, etc. I could see the ship staff doing their best to make sure they were comfortable and enjoying their vacation.

Good luck!

We got this same type of cast cover for my husband's cast (broken ankle) and it was great. It is more expensive than the one shown in the first link but it was worth it, especially for showering.

Adventure Ocean will let him participate, as long as he isn't using his cast like a weapon.;):p

You need to decide if you want to travel or not. Kids will adapt. We cancelled our cruise because my husband just couldn't see how he would enjoy our vacation in a hot climate, on crutches completely non-weight bearing. With a broken arm, I think we would have gone.