Revenue Opportunities for HAL

While on my last cruise, I thought of some nifty ways for HAL to make more money. I am the type that would not pay for any of this myself (we never pay a surcharge for dining) but from the lines I see at our local Starbucks, I know there are folks who will queue up for anything that has a cash register at the other end. So with that said, passing along ideas/thoughts on how HAL could make more $$$ and therefore, keep my cruise fare nice and reasonable....Here goes, and add your own.....

1) Drink cart on HMC. Similar to the golf course. Drinks, water, snacks sold from the cart that travels up and down the beach. Folks would pay to not have to get out of their lounge chair.

2) Lodging on HMC. Perhaps a weekly "rustic Caribbean island experience". Model this after family dude ranches. Bring in a herd for the week and they "camp out" and experience the island. Utilize HMC for more revenue during the "off season", perhaps.

3) Sell boxed lunches/picnic lunches on HMC. Folks might pay a few bucks to leave with a picnic basket for lunch/drink while on the beach.

4) Have a up-charge restaurant at HMC. Perhaps a lunch area with Caribbean food and waiters that is a cut above the BBQ and has a reservation and table service.

5) Charge for extra baggage. Based on the cruise length, why not tell everybody we welcome x bags FREE but $$ for more than X. I see some folks bring in the kitchen sink for a 7 day cruise because it's "free" perhaps but they may be willing to pay to continue to bring in the sink...and if they don't I think we are all just fine.

6) Breakfast with the Captain (or whatever venue/event) with the captain. Many folks would enjoy an opportunity to talk to the captain. And many would pay for it.

7) Behind the curtain tours....Several could be offered. The bridge, the staff areas, more intense galley tour than the walk-through, the front office, the stage shows, the hotel mgmt area, etc.. Maybe a "docking tour" where you are on the bridge when the ship docks at dark thirty. Yes, I know security but that could be worked out. Similar to Disney's back stage tours of the Magic Kingdom.

8) Medical Tests. So there is a Dr on board. Not sure how busy they are. Could they provide routine screenings and flu shots for a fee? I could get my cholestoral (sp?) checked and get my flu shot for possibly less than in the states? Maybe offer complete physicals or other tests that are very expensive back home? Take advantage of being in International Waters.

9) Sell priority boarding, priority tendering and priority disembarkation spots. still let the high level Mariners get their prime spot in line but also allow others to "pay" for the same priority. I fly Southwest all the time and I am surprised at how many people pay extra to be the first 15 to board.

10) Music Lessons. Have the entertainers give instructions on how to sing/dance/play the whatever for whoever wants to pay.

11) Sell discount tickets to stuff on shore. Along with the shore excursions, sell tickets to attractions, transport, drinks, food etc on shore. For instance, while in Key West, we went to the Truman Vacation Home. HAL could have sold us the tickets on board for a buck or two less and pocketed some $$$ from the group rate they could get. What about "taxi vouchers" or a "shuttle to town" for a flat fee that would be cheaper than if we did it ourselves? What about a food/drink coupon for restaurants in town?

12) Allow local craftspeople to sell stuff at the lido pool area while in port. Many folks choose to not go onshore but might welcome the chance to have the local merchant on the ship. Obviously, HAL gets a cut of the sales.

13) Photography lessons. Have the ships photographers give us a class or one on one instruction for a fee on how to take pictures.

14) Stateroom Upgrade package: For a fee, I can get a higher quality of sheets/towels, fresh flowers, whatever for my room. Maybe that's what's done in the suites (I would never know) but thinking folks would pay more for the higher thread count, etc.

15) Sell books in the Library. HAL is supposedly tied in with the New York Times (BTW, I hope they get paid a lot or they need to ditch the NYT for a media source that is better, IMHO) Along with the books to check out, allow the passengers to buy the latest NYT best sellers. Some folks may not want to check out the book because they can't finish it and would not mind buying it. Also, tie in with the board game folks to allow you to buy the game and have it shipped to your home.

16) And regarding the NYT, sell us a newspaper. Instead of having the abbreviated newspapers, have something a little more and put a price on it.

17) Charge for reservations in the MDR. For the anytime dining, we can do anytime dining but if we want to make sure we have a table like we want it at a certain time, charge a fee. I see folks all the time at the gym pay $2 to reserve their favorite spin bike for their favorite spin class.

18) And my favorite......Charge me $25 for the HMC Treasure Hunt. Have a pirate give me and my kids/grandkids a treasure map just for us and let us spend time snooping around the island looking for our buried treasure.

Care to add to the list or flame me for mentioning something that may cost us more? I believe a highly profitable HAL keeps HAL sailing for me!

A really mixed bag, here.

8 is a non-starter, I think. Simply not a place that a cruise line would want to put itself. The physicians are already independent contractors, and the farther they are from the company, the happier I am sure the insurers will be.

A number are flat out impractical: I can just imagine implementing #9. The four passengers on the Prinsendam who don't have four stars or a Neptune Suite will now be able to pay so that everyone has priority--and so no one will. I can't imagine 14, either. Poor room stewards are already pressed with too many cabins. Start adding in 3 out of thirty that get different towels and sheets, and it gets to be crazy.

11 undercuts the already significant revenue from shore excursions. I just don't see them going there.

12 is interesting--it's certainly what's done at places like Pitcairn, where landing is simply not possible. But it does raise a significant customs issue when a merchant boards with bags full of merchandise, and disembarks with bags not quite as full. It's one thing to allow visitors on the ship at turnaround ports. Quite another to have merchandise coming and going.

The big thing that strikes me, though, is that this becomes a slippery slope towards upcharging for everything.

Edited by visagrunt

1) Drink cart on HMC. Similar to the golf course. Drinks, water, snacks sold from the cart that travels up and down the beach. Folks would pay to not have to get out of their lounge chair.

While they don't use a cart, there are usually stewards walking with a Thermos bottle full of Pina Coladas ... and they will go back to the bar for something else if you want it.

2) Lodging on HMC. Perhaps a weekly "rustic Caribbean island experience". Model this after family dude ranches. Bring in a herd for the week and they "camp out" and experience the island. Utilize HMC for more revenue during the "off season", perhaps.

There really is no "off season" as Carnival and sometimes Costa uses it in the summer.

3) Sell boxed lunches/picnic lunches on HMC. Folks might pay a few bucks to leave with a picnic basket for lunch/drink while on the beach.

I don't think there would be many takers. If someone wants to eat on the beach they can bring their own from the BBQ. And for those willing to pay the price you can book a cabana with the "butler" package.

7) Behind the curtain tours....Several could be offered. The bridge, the staff areas, more intense galley tour than the walk-through, the front office, the stage shows, the hotel mgmt area, etc..

Several (maybe all?) of the larger ships offer extensive tours like this for $150 pp. They are limited in capacity, and usually sell out.

11) Sell discount tickets to stuff on shore. Along with the shore excursions, sell tickets to attractions, transport, drinks, food etc on shore. For instance, while in Key West, we went to the Truman Vacation Home. HAL could have sold us the tickets on board for a buck or two less and pocketed some $$$ from the group rate they could get. What about "taxi vouchers" or a "shuttle to town" for a flat fee that would be cheaper than if we did it ourselves? What about a food/drink coupon for restaurants in town?

On our Baltic and Med cruises we were able to buy shuttle bus tickets on board for $3 to $5 pp each way in several ports. In places like Livorno/Florence where the city is a fair distance from the port we bought "excursions" that were simply a transfer bus to/from town, and a guide on the bus talking on the ride in about what is available in town, passing out maps, etc.

Edited by jtl513

#6: you won't find many Captains who would want to go along with this one, either at all or with any frequency.

You have quite an imagination. Pretty amusing post: thanks!

Boy, have you got that one right! :D

And as for the "docking tour", unless you understand the ISPS Code, you aren't ever "going to work out" the security issues, let alone the insurance ones. Can anyone say Concordia?

The original list is a bit weird, undoable or just not fesible but some are interesting.

My DH has often mentioned HAL would make a lot of money if they offered fishing off the back, lower deck for a fee for 30 or 60 minutes. He would definitely pay to try his hand while sailing. Any fish caught would be released after photos (which are part of the package) or maybe kept for the crew's dinner. I know there are a lot of possible issues such as what if someone caught a dolphin, got pierced by a hook, etc.

Anyone else have ideas to share - this could get fun??

The original list is a bit weird, undoable or just not fesible but some are interesting.

My DH has often mentioned HAL would make a lot of money if they offered fishing off the back, lower deck for a fee for 30 or 60 minutes. He would definitely pay to try his hand while sailing. Any fish caught would be released after photos (which are part of the package) or maybe kept for the crew's dinner. I know there are a lot of possible issues such as what if someone caught a dolphin, got pierced by a hook, etc.

Anyone else have ideas to share - this could get fun??

Not sure that 15-20 knots is optimum trolling speed.

Developing Half Moon Cay with overnight accommodations or an upscale restaurant would destroy a lot of it's charm. In time it will look like every Margaritaville in the Caribbean.

Waiters already walk the beach offering to take drink orders, don't know what a drinks cart will add.

As for expanded services on board (selling books, printing larger newspapers, fancy bed linens) would all require more man power and it is debatable whether it will generate enough income to pay for extra personnel and equipment.

Edited by Boytjie

Developing Half Moon Cay with overnight accommodations or an upscale restaurant would destroy a lot of it's charm. In time it will look like every Margaritaville in the Caribbean.

Waiters already walk the beach offering to take drink orders, don't know what a drinks cart will add.

As for expanded services on board (selling books, printing larger newspapers, fancy bed linens) would all require more man power and it is debatable whether it will generate enough income to pay for extra personnel and equipment.

With all the cutbacks in recent years, among the things that disappeared were daily newspapers delivered to "S" (Neptune Suites as they are now called) each day in port. We sometimes got International Herald and often USA Today. We missed that when they stopped providing them. We didn't always remember or see a place to buy one when ashore.

I will say I think OP creative but I sincerely hope most of his ideas are never developed by HAL. :D :eek:

Can think of a few more ideas. Required tipping for those who help you in and out of tenders. A fee for priority seating in tenders (plus 18%) and a larger fee for non-priorty seating (plus 18%) A water meter on each cabin that charges a fee, per liter, for water usage (plus 18%). A fee for use of seats in the Lido (plus 18%). A daily "resort" fee of $500 (plus 18%) for use of the ship's facilities (this is similar to what is now done in Las Vegas hotels). A $50 per day fee (plus 18%) for use of a quiet spot on the ship (no music, no PA announcements, etc). A $5 per piece fee (plus 18%) for use of stainless steel flatwear (and cheap plastic stuff for those who do not want to pay). A daily "garbage fee" (plus 18%) for creating garbage. HAL might want to be politically correct and call this the daily "Environmental Fee" (plus 18%) or perhaps the "Environmental Corkage Fee."

One can go on and on....but not sure we should give the sleeping heads in Seattle any new ideas.

Hank

8) Medical Tests. So there is a Dr on board. Not sure how busy they are. Could they provide routine screenings and flu shots for a fee? I could get my cholestoral (sp?) checked and get my flu shot for possibly less than in the states? Maybe offer complete physicals or other tests that are very expensive back home? Take advantage of being in International Waters.

Despite the negative response you get in this thread, I like many of your ideas and especially this one. In Western Europe, many people fly to Turkey for laser eye surgery and dental work because it's much cheaper, while not necessarily worse. Bringing the doctors and dentists to a cruise nearby sounds like a viable business opportunity to me.

Despite the negative response you get in this thread, I like many of your ideas and especially this one. In Western Europe, many people fly to Turkey for laser eye surgery and dental work because it's much cheaper, while not necessarily worse. Bringing the doctors and dentists to a cruise nearby sounds like a viable business opportunity to me.

It's not unheard of for Americans (and others, I presume) to fly to India for heart surgeries. Many of their heart surgeons trained in U.S. and for those without good health insurance it costs a fraction of what is charged here.

It's not unheard of for Americans (and others, I presume) to fly to India for heart surgeries. Many of their heart surgeons trained in U.S. and for those without good health insurance it costs a fraction of what is charged here.

Flying to India (and I hate flying) feels better than heart surgery on a ship :) Then again, look at this cool initiative: http://www.mercyships.org.

Look at OP's original post - he has an agenda: "I am the type that would not pay for any of this myself.... therefore, keep my cruise fare nice and reasonable". Sounds to me like: you pay more so s/he pays less.

Since we already supplement our fare with specialty dining and other indulgences, maybe the cruise lines could instill a "cheapskate" fee, to cover the skin flints who refuse to spend a dollar and who fear anything with a cash register at the other end. It could be something like "Dear Pax - in light of the fact that you only paid your measly fare and you get many of the advantages our more generous pax receive, we regret to inform you you did not meet the minimum onboard spending requirement. Unfortunately you have incurred our cheapskate supplement fee of (however many) hundreds of dollars per person. This is the only way for us to keep our fares affordable for people like you, and to keep it fair for people who aren't afraid to spend a dollar, unlike the skin flints who aren't afraid to squeeze President Washington until he screams. Thank you for your understanding." I would whole heartedly support this as it wouldn't affect us. :D

They could also charge 25 cents per flush like they do at public toilets. They would probably never implement that though as they would fear people like the OP would burst from holding it all week, because they are already full of it to begin with. ;)

Lorie

Feedbags and chex mix dispensers at the gangway. This will be used for those who can't go without eating for 2 hours. Just slide your ship card fill feedbag,affix to face and you're ready to tour the town. No worries about spending money on local food you can't get at home, or asking for a box lunch.

Just strap and go

Edited by Wakepatrol

The fact that the OP came up with these ideas while on a cruise means HAL clearly needs more activities to keep GulfCoastCruiser's mind busy. How about Pay-to-Play Jeopardy? Surcharge Scrabble? Bingo or Die?

Honestly, while many of these ideas are throwaways, there's some food for thought in the OP's list. It's certainly more interesting to me than another smoking, booze-smuggling, tank tops-in-the-MDR thread.

Jim

GulfShoresCruiser, you are evil. And very funny. Love your list. It is dangerous to give Holland America any ideas.

1) I seriously think the novelty of a drink-mobile on Half Moon Cay could increase revenue.

2) Hotel on HMC? A lot of the island is off limits now and would provide the space. The cost of electricity, water, sewer and supplies would probably make a hotel impractical.

6) Breakfast with the captain? Heck yes! It would not be the real captain, but a good actor dressed up as such with maybe bigger epaulettes or something. Did you think that was the real Mickey Mouse on Disney? Or maybe a down on his luck retired captain. Captain Schettino will need a job someday. Joseph Hazelwood?

8) Medical tests? They already sell what I consider questionable medicine. More money, less regulation in off shore acupuncture, shoe inserts, and teeth whitening.

18) Treasure hunt is a great idea.

I have often suggested that HAL buy a few cases of local beer and sell them in one bar for a profit.

Sorry Amazed....

Would you put your eye under a lazer..... while the Chief Engineer is stoking up his boilers and Captain orders more speed and = vibrations!

Feedbags and chex mix dispensers at the gangway. This will be used for those who can't go without eating for 2 hours. Just slide your ship card fill feedbag,affix to face and you're ready to tour the town. No worries about spending money on local food you can't get at home, or asking for a box lunch.

Just strap and go

Oh my goodness! You made me laugh out loud!

Sorry Amazed....

Would you put your eye under a lazer..... while the Chief Engineer is stoking up his boilers and Captain orders more speed and = vibrations!

Yes there are some obstacles for medical procedures at sea. Even on land I'd insist on having the procedure for one eye first, and the other one at least a month later to be 100% sure I can make a living afterwards. Getting my teeth fixed at 40% of the normal price, with a free cruise as bonus, I'd sign up tomorrow!