Shifting Dining Times

tvaud

Last month on the Coral, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the traditional dining times were changed to 5:15 and 7:30. We tend to select late dining, and DH doesn't always like to eat at 8:15. For those of you who have sailed on the Ocean Princess, are the dining times 6 & 8:15 or are they earlier?Thanks.

This seems to be common on the Panama Canal sailings but far less so on all others; don't expect to see second seating earlier than 8:00 especially as Ocean offers fixed seating only. But again this can vary depending on where in the world you are sailing; in Europe where most prefer eating later they will likely not move the first seating earlier than 6:00.

Dining times vary by itinerary...

So true.

We were on a B2b.

First segment late traditional was at 7:45 PM.

Second segment late traditional was at 8:15 PM.

Pre-cruise the personalizer said 8:00 PM for both segments.

A MAJOR pet peeve of mine over the last couple of years We've had 6pm first seating time on our last 5 cruises, and I think it was actually 6pm only one time. Our our Ruby ta last fall even our cruise card showed 6pm, but it had been moved to 5:45 again. We talked to Passenger Services and the Captain's Circle hostess, and both of them told us that the change came from the home office. I don't understand why it isn't left up to the maitre d'. On our ta there were a large number of b2b passengers from the British Isles cruise, and first seating was 6pm on that cruise. Many passengers were late to dinner the first few nights because they didn't notice that the time had changed.

We love td, and while even 6pm is a bit early for us we book it. You wouldn't think the 15 min. difference for the 5:45 would make a difference, but it does especially on port days.

A MAJOR pet peeve of mine over the last couple of years

We love td, and while even 6pm is a bit early for us we book it. You wouldn't think the 15 min. difference for the 5:45 would make a difference, but it does especially on port days.

I agree. We always do late TD, but when we take the little kids along, we do early. You don't know until you are on the ship when the time will be. We had 5:30 once, which pretty much ruled out the PES lounge or afternoon tea. I realize we could take the kids to the buffet or opt for Anytime, but the TD experience is now a tradition for us, and the kids love it.

We prefer early traditional, and all the pre-cruise info from Princess said it would be at 5:45. When we got to the ship it was 5:15:eek:, way too early, and evidently had been for some time. I wish Princess would tell you the truth.

GAK!!! 5:15 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for dinner!

We prefer early traditional, and all the pre-cruise info from Princess said it would be at 5:45. When we got to the ship it was 5:15:eek:, way too early, and evidently had been for some time. I wish Princess would tell you the truth.

Wow I have never seen 5:15 as an early dining time, but I've been doing anytime for years. What ship and where were you cruising ?

I remember earlier dining times in Alaska as well...on the Island. For the Ocean, we are doing the 14 day Caribbean during the Christmas holidays. I am hoping for a little earlier, but I won't hold my breath...

I remember earlier dining times in Alaska as well...on the Island. For the Ocean, we are doing the 14 day Caribbean during the Christmas holidays. I am hoping for a little earlier, but I won't hold my breath...

For those on early seating, any earlier would be lunch.;)

We got off the Ruby last Saturday. For our 49 day cruise, first seating was changed to 5:45 and late seating was 8 p.m. They also had a fixed seating in one of the any time restaurants, and it was at 5:30 and called "Enhanced Dining". Anytime dining began in that restaurant at 7:30.

Sure, but no matter what time the dining room opens, there

will be a bunch of people lining up 15 minutes beforehand.

So, apparently, there are people who want to eat at even 5:00...

We are doing the canal transit on Coral next month. I'm jolly glad we have ATD, that is crazily early for 1st seating. My only concern will be to time entry to the dining room, probably after 7.00 and still take part in trivias or watch the shows. Could be quite interesting working it out.

Wow I have never seen 5:15 as an early dining time, but I've been doing anytime for years. What ship and where were you cruising ?

All of the ones we've been on. The people begin lining up at the door at 5 PM sharp. By 5:15 PM there's a line 25-30 people long.

Not here in Florida. Most of the non working people eat before 4 PM- Only the people who get home from work late eat after 5.

On the ship all of activities fit the early schedule much better. Eating early, main show, other shows and then a snack before the movie. Of course I'm up a little earlier than most people....no later than 5 AM. :D

I just wish they'd settle on a time and stick to it. We love TD, and we hate to become one of those people who only show up for td dinner sometimes.

On our last cruise we found ourselves booking Sabatini's and Crown Grill more often partially to have a later dinner time.

Edited by FritzG

I just wish they'd settle on a time and stick to it.

Often the reasons for when the Traditional dining is scheduled have to do with the region of the world the ship is in and the culture there. Europeans tend to eat later (just try to find a decent restaurant open for dinner in Paris before 8 PM). Those in the USA tend to eat earlier.

What I would like is honesty in the Personalizer. Don't list 8 PM as a place holder if the real time will be 7:45 PM or 8:15 PM or another time.

What I would like is honesty in the Personalizer. Don't list 8 PM as a place holder if the real time will be 7:45 PM or 8:15 PM or another time.

Absolutely! It's annoying not knowing beforehand, especially when we have the little ones with us.

Sure, but no matter what time the dining room opens, there

will be a bunch of people lining up 15 minutes beforehand.

So, apparently, there are people who want to eat at even 5:00...

Growing up, breakfast was at 7 am, lunch at noon and supper (dinner) was at 5 pm. As a kid, if you missed one of them on a non-school day, some privileges were taken away.