Document question

Silleestarfish

I am hoping that someone can answer this question because I have received several different and contradictory answers from different carnival employees and cannot find anything specific and clear cut on their website.

we're embarking on our 2nd cruise on the inspiration April 6th for 4 days to Catalina and Mexico. It will be myself, my 14-year-old son, my husband and our daughter together. The first cruise we took which was also to Mexico, I was instructed to have a notarized statement provided by my son's father that gave me permission to take him on the cruise and out of the country. During our check in at the port and throughout the entirety of the cruise, we were never asked for that document.

for this cruise, I did some of my own research and some general cruising sites not specific to Carnival have said these documents are necessary. Carnival's website does not. I have called several different carnival staff members and can't get the same answer twice from anyone.

it's not a problem to get the statement, however, it does cost around $25 to have it motorized which I would rather not spend if I don't have to. Does anybody have clarification on this issue?

thanks so much!

it is recommended, not required.

there have been folks that have been asked for the letter and if they dont have it, they start to ask the children questions. if they are not 100% satisfied with the situation you can be delayed a lot.

You should not need it. But you can if it makes you feel better. Unless you plan on putting an engine on it (motorized), your bank should be able to notarize the document for you.

One carnival staff said just a letter without being notarized was fine: another said it wasn't necessary at all; another had no idea what I was talking about and a 4th said better to be safe and just have it- my sons dad lives in a different state and tells me it's $25. I guess I'll just go ahead and have it as $25 is a small price to pay in the event it is an issue- I wish carnival was more clear with their policy Thx everyone !

Customs requires it and since I cant post a web site try googling required travel documents for minors the third item should be U>S> customs and border protection site. I know have heard a lot of folks say they were never asked but if you are and don't have it then you might get stuck not going on your cruise and I do not believe trip insurance would cover it.

while your googling your state and notary cost. In GA they can only charge you a few dollars. "The authorized fee is $2.00 for each notarial act." Many banks offer this service for free to their clients.

Better safe then sorry!

Safe sailing!

Customs requires it and since I cant post a web site try googling required travel documents for minors the third item should be U>S> customs and border protection site. I know have heard a lot of folks say they were never asked but if you are and don't have it then you might get stuck not going on your cruise and I do not believe trip insurance would cover it.

while your googling your state and notary cost. In GA they can only charge you a few dollars. "The authorized fee is $2.00 for each notarial act." Many banks offer this service for free to their clients.

Better safe then sorry!

Safe sailing!

Ooops it looks like a bunch of folks confirmed the bank thing while I was confirming my info.

I am hoping that someone can answer this question because I have received several different and contradictory answers from different carnival employees and cannot find anything specific and clear cut on their website.

we're embarking on our 2nd cruise on the inspiration April 6th for 4 days to Catalina and Mexico. It will be myself, my 14-year-old son, my husband and our daughter together. The first cruise we took which was also to Mexico, I was instructed to have a notarized statement provided by my son's father that gave me permission to take him on the cruise and out of the country. During our check in at the port and throughout the entirety of the cruise, we were never asked for that document.

for this cruise, I did some of my own research and some general cruising sites not specific to Carnival have said these documents are necessary. Carnival's website does not. I have called several different carnival staff members and can't get the same answer twice from anyone.

it's not a problem to get the statement, however, it does cost around $25 to have it motorized which I would rather not spend if I don't have to. Does anybody have clarification on this issue?

thanks so much!

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!!

Better safe then sorry!

Safe sailing!

See below link for info. It is not required by Carnival or customs but suggested. Also I have never run into any customs officials while boarding a ship, only on return.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

We have taken friends children with us traveling with our other children and because these were not our own children had the notarized document in case of medical emergency. Even though none of the names matched our last names we were still never asked for any documentation other than regular passport info when signing in.

Its safe and best to have it in case of any emergency....if the child gets hurt you will be allowed to have that child treated if necessary.

I do not know where this completely false idea started but I am tired of seeing it.

First off, there is no place in the world's that would not provide a child with emergency treatment. Second, I highly doubt places like Mexico cares who brings a child in.

Third, I am in the medical field and on the occasion someone does bring something like that in, it is totally ignored and a call is placed to the parents.