Shame on you rcl

I am so disatisfied with rcl at this time..i booked months ago through them not using a ta for an oceanview room.during the booking process i stated my kids age being 5.then months passed and i found out via cruise critic(never via rcl) that my kid can not use the pullman on the cabin and that one of the adults must use the pullman instead..when i found that i emailed rcl and told them that i can not accept that.i dont want to sleep on a pullman bed and neither does my wife..i told them at the time of booking there was never stated that there would be this restriction.as well as that there was nothing written on the rcl site about this..then their reply was sorry but sleep on the pullman yourself...its my first rcl cruise and probable my last..i feel tgey mislead me and their reply was totally unacceptable..if i was outside cancellation period then i would have cancelled and never ever book again with them...i didnt pay so much money just to sleep on a pullman bed..thats not WOW RCL that totally RIDICULOUS

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We cruise tomorrow on the FOS . We booked this cruise back May, my daughter was having her 3rd child in August. She booked a family room, it was to be her, her husband., 12 yr old daughter, 2 and a half old son, and the new baby. My husband and I have a room with my 13 yr old grandson. My grand daughter would be on the top bunk and grandson on bottom bunk in that small extra room, and baby in a crib. Daughter and husband in double bed.

Unfortunately our Grandson died during childbirth. It was so unexpected, her uterus completely ruptured, and she hemorrhaged. We are blessed that she made it, we say a prayer everyday for the EMTs, and the nurses and doctors and Winnie Palmer Hospital. After much thought we decided we would still cruise. My daughter called our rep at royal and they changed her room since they wouldn't be 5. He said they would have been bump anyway and he would take care of everything not to worry.

We checked our room numbers and saw we were next to each other so all good didn't give it another thought until I saw this post. Well they have 2 up 2 down. Called the rep today of course everything is sold out, he said I thought you would want a crib for the 2 and half yr old, well if we didn't want one in the 1st room why would we want one in the 2nd room.

We will make it work by putting mattress on the floor. He sleeps in a toddler bed. Just not a good start.

i'm confused. Did the OP think his stateroom had a pull-out sofa bed and later found out it was a Pullman?

As I understand it, he knew there was a pullman, planned on son sleeping in the pullman, and after booking found out Royal doesn't "allow" kids under 6 to sleep in pullmans.

I'm very rarely on Royal Caribbean's side these days, but this one I feel like was not their fault.

At the time of booking, you were fine with your child sleeping in the pullman bed. Now that you saw one sign from another ship that limits the age, you are suddenly not okay with it.

These upper beds have roll bars so that the person sleeping in them virtually cannot roll off anyways. I can assure you that our children were sleeping in the pulldown beds at younger than age 5 and loved them. IF there are warnings on all the ships now, its to limit liability in case of a bizarre accident, because as you have demonstrated, people are always looking to throw blame in todays society.

Sorry to call a spade a spade but it sounds like you have made up your mind you want a different cabin/cabin layout and you're looking for loopholes for a free upgrade. You knew what a pulldown bed was when you booked and you knew your child would be sleeping in it.

I never said that i wanted a free upgrade...i just told you the facts..all you royal caribbean cheerleaders can not understand that my problem is that a huge restriction that was involved on my booking was never passed to me during the booking process and that i found out via cruise critic about this problem..if you rcl fans call that a top notch customer service then i have to tell you that ive cruised with ncl disney celebrity hal carnival and never ever i had any problem like this before

The point of the fact is RC should have been more informative when the OP booked so that he could make the necessary changes to accommodate what he wants.

If there are rules and age restrictions it should be clearly stated. Yes he was fine with the child sleeping on the pullman bed, but to be told there's an age restriction and still go ahead and commit the wrong, if anything happens he only has himself to blame.

And as stated from an other poster here i have cruised on disney having my child on a pullman which clearly had huge rails and didnt have age restriction for my kid.thats why i was ok at first to book this cabin..if i knew that would be a clear written prohibition taking my child i would never ever jeopardise his safety for a room..i would have gladly paid more for another room..

We cruise tomorrow on the FOS . We booked this cruise back May, my daughter was having her 3rd child in August. She booked a family room, it was to be her, her husband., 12 yr old daughter, 2 and a half old son, and the new baby. My husband and I have a room with my 13 yr old grandson. My grand daughter would be on the top bunk and grandson on bottom bunk in that small extra room, and baby in a crib. Daughter and husband in double bed.

Unfortunately our Grandson died during childbirth. It was so unexpected, her uterus completely ruptured, and she hemorrhaged. We are blessed that she made it, we say a prayer everyday for the EMTs, and the nurses and doctors and Winnie Palmer Hospital. After much thought we decided we would still cruise. My daughter called our rep at royal and they changed her room since they wouldn't be 5. He said they would have been bump anyway and he would take care of everything not to worry.

We checked our room numbers and saw we were next to each other so all good didn't give it another thought until I saw this post. Well they have 2 up 2 down. Called the rep today of course everything is sold out, he said I thought you would want a crib for the 2 and half yr old, well if we didn't want one in the 1st room why would we want one in the 2nd room.

We will make it work by putting mattress on the floor. He sleeps in a toddler bed. Just not a good start.

1st. I am very very sorry for your loss.

I am sure it will work. Can the children sleep on the sofa bed maybe together?? Just a thought.

Hope all goes well you all deserve a nice vacation together.

I never said that i wanted a free upgrade...i just told you the facts..all you royal caribbean cheerleaders can not understand that my problem is that a huge restriction that was involved on my booking was never passed to me during the booking process and that i found out via cruise critic about this problem..if you rcl fans call that a top notch customer service then i have to tell you that ive cruised with ncl disney celebrity hal carnival and never ever i had any problem like this before

Ok, thanks for the warning, I´ve heard it, evaluated it and filed it....

12065824352039300232mozart_ar_Spanish_Trash_Bin_Sign_1.svg.hi.png

Always check the deck plans before you call to book a cabin, or pull it up online when you are on the phone with a rep. That way you know the exact bed configuration(s).

I am so disatisfied with rcl at this time..i booked months ago through them not using a ta for an oceanview room.during the booking process i stated my kids age being 5.then months passed and i found out via cruise critic(never via rcl) that my kid can not use the pullman on the cabin and that one of the adults must use the pullman instead..when i found that i emailed rcl and told them that i can not accept that.i dont want to sleep on a pullman bed and neither does my wife..i told them at the time of booking there was never stated that there would be this restriction.as well as that there was nothing written on the rcl site about this..then their reply was sorry but sleep on the pullman yourself...its my first rcl cruise and probable my last..i feel tgey mislead me and their reply was totally unacceptable..if i was outside cancellation period then i would have cancelled and never ever book again with them...i didnt pay so much money just to sleep on a pullman bed..thats not WOW RCL that totally RIDICULOUS

I would have made the same mistake. My kids have been on two cruises on Disney and have been sleeping in Pullman beds since three years old. There is no possibility of them falling out of them on Disney because of the rails. How are they setup on rccl ships? We are doing out rccl for future cruises and won't have the kids on our first cruise. It scares me there have been reports of them falling into a bed below. If they fall head first that could have serious health consequences even if it was just a foot or two.

Anyone have close ups of the Pullman beds on rccl and what the railing looks like?

Freedom of the Seas, Royal Family Suite ...

2ndbedrm-MS.jpg

Don't make assumptions. Maybe the OP would have paid more for a different cabin, maybe not. Maybe the cabin upgrade at the time of the booking is less than what it is now.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought to even ask the question.

I would not have thought to ask either, and I'm Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. Is there also a weight restriction? The parents might be too heavy to sleep on the pull down bed.

Edited by Cuizer2

And as stated from an other poster here i have cruised on disney having my child on a pullman which clearly had huge rails and didnt have age restriction for my kid.thats why i was ok at first to book this cabin..if i knew that would be a clear written prohibition taking my child i would never ever jeopardise his safety for a room..i would have gladly paid more for another room..

Royal Caribbean pullman beds have the same rail as Disney. If it was okay with Disney what is the difference? A warning label to limit liability? I found this on another website for you from Liberty.

b4ce9454-13b5-4855-9299-2fc6e7a84e7d_zpsb5e9chwc.jpg

i'm confused. Did the OP think his stateroom had a pull-out sofa bed and later found out it was a Pullman?

I don't think so - he was fine with the Pullman for his child until he read on here it wasn't allowed/a good idea. Now he is not so fine with it. Felt Royal should have advised him at booking time.

My question - and no Im not making assumptions - what would the OP have done when he was first booking if he had been informed then - as he feels he should have been - would he have moved on to a cabin with a sofa bed?

IDK - can't assume :)

Edited by LovesCruising

Royal Caribbean pullman beds have the same rail as Disney. If it was okay with Disney what is the difference? A warning label to limit liability? I found this on another website for you from Liberty.

b4ce9454-13b5-4855-9299-2fc6e7a84e7d_zpsb5e9chwc.jpg

Really - and this is a problem to put the child in the Pullman?

OK - point is taken - what is it exactly you are looking for - by the way - Celebrity and Royal = same company

and in another post you state you would have gladly paid more for the proper cabin had you been informed - well your informed now so to speak - change the cabin and pay more - I don't see what the problem is - if it means less worry for you and more safety in your opinion for your child - just do it

Edited by LovesCruising

I too was not aware of the minimum age until I happened to come across it on CC! I do believe under the description of the room they should stated this fact. Agree with you on that portion. ***However, your child is 5, I honestly feel he will be fine! You can buy one of those mesh railings to bring for extra protection. You could always fold towels for extra protection. If heaven forbid your child falls he will be on you so doubt they would be injured..... Don't think they'll be checking the rooms.... JMO

I am still confused about the claim it is an RCI "rule." I can't find this "rule" on the website. So is it a "rule" or "recommendation?" You know, like the "Recommendation" for dress for which there is no penalty for disregarding.

That is the problem. The rule is not easily discovered by the average person booking a cruise.

That is why Royal Caribbean should have made this known at the time of the booking.

This is also why it is a good idea to book through a travel agent. It doesn't cost any more and you are more likely to get some good advice (over the Royal Caribbean reps who in many cases are not familiar with the product that they are selling).

I too was not aware of the minimum age until I happened to come across it on CC! I do believe under the description of the room they should stated this fact. Agree with you on that portion. ***However, your child is 5, I honestly feel he will be fine! You can buy one of those mesh railings to bring for extra protection. You could always fold towels for extra protection. If heaven forbid your child falls he will be on you so doubt they would be injured..... Don't think they'll be checking the rooms.... JMO

Exactly, if you read the family forum, many parents make bumpers for the beds using towels or extra blankets that they get from their cabin steward. Some have found that the cabin steward will make bumpers for them as they make up the beds. Just roll the towels or blanket into a long noodle and put it under the bottom sheet at the edge of the bed. Works great for pullman beds, sofabeds or the regular beds.

Oh for crying out loud, grow up already! Sorry, I don't usually get name-cally on threads here, but this "rant" is absolutely ridiculous.

The OP was PERFECTLY FINE with their 5yo sleeping on the Pullman when they originally made the reservation, but NOW they have a problem with it????

And don't give me that "it's not safe if they hit rough seas" baloney -- a small child is NOT going to be thrown out of a Pullman bed unless the ship turns over like the Concordia, plain and simple. At that point, it's not going to matter who was sleeping on which bed -- you'll all be underwater and swimming for the door.

This is simply sour grapes on the part of the OP -- they want something for nothing, at least that's my opinion. The only reason that the cut-off for sleeping in the Pullman is 6yo is because some pencil-pusher in the Risk Management department of the cruise line's insurance company chose that number.

THERE IS NOTHING MAGICAL ABOUT THE AGE OF SIX! :rolleyes:

I know kids who can sleep safely in a Pullman at age three, and I know kids whose judgment I wouldn't trust to not do something stupid (like jump out instead of using the ladder) at age twelve. The age of six is nothing more than a number.

And before anyone asks, my own son slept in the Pullman at age three and age four (two different cruises on two different lines) -- he loved his "special bunk bed"!

And the room was set up such that the Pullman was above the double bed anyway, so if he did intentionally make himself fall out of bed (the only way he was going to "fall out" -- there is a railing on those things, you know!), he would have landed on the double bed right underneath him.

OP, just grow up. If your kid is afraid to sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. If you're afraid to have your kid sleep in a Pullman, you shouldn't have booked one. Otherwise, put your kid wherever you want (the kid can even sleep on the floor -- kids can and will sleep anywhere, with or without a sheet / blanket / pillow!) and simply enjoy your cruise!

Best post I've read in a while.

Well said for being honest and saying what a lot of people were thinking.

Kezz

OK after ALOT of googling w/o results - I went to cruisingpower.

Under Stateroom Bedding is the following: (see the last paragraph)

Our beds have nine-inch think mattresses with separate two-inch-thick micro-fiber pillow tops and a duvet with cotton-blend covers. We have 220-thread-count long-staple cotton-blend sheets with two micro-fiber pillows*, plus one decorative pillow. Our bed frames, designed to prevent sagging, are adorned with bed skirts and colored bed scarves placed at the end of the beds to protect the duvet.

All beds onboard are 6 feet 8 inches in length and the width is equivalent to a twin size bed. When two beds are placed together it will convert to one queen size bed. We have bed boards upon request.

Most staterooms and suites have beds which may be converted to a queen size bed. Some staterooms are configured in an L shape which prohibit the conversion of the twin beds into a queen size bed, otherwise the beds are laid out parallel to each other. Extra mattresses are available if necessary.

We have created a solution to the dreaded gap that invariably forms when two twin beds are pushed together to form one larger, queen-size bed. Custom-designed pillow tops are doubled over when placed atop twin beds, but are unfolded and laid on top of one another and the mattresses to create a queen-size, gap-free mattress.

The upper berth/bed has a maximum weight limit of 300 pounds and no height restriction. It is not recommended for children under the age of 6 nor for guests with mobility concerns/issues. There are bed rails for the upper berth.

*We have feather pillows and down pillows upon request.

Even tho a travel agent would have access to this information, its not easy to find - and probably wouldn't even be considered unless specifically brought up. Its not easy to find.

And its a recommendation - not a RULE

The upper berth/bed has a maximum weight limit of 300 pounds and no height restriction. It is not recommended for children under the age of 6 nor for guests with mobility concerns/issues. There are bed rails for the upper berth.

*We have feather pillows and down pillows upon request.

Even tho a travel agent would have access to this information, its not easy to find - and probably wouldn't even be considered unless specifically brought up. Its not easy to find.

And its a recommendation - not a RULE

Sort of like the sign at the pool that says swim at your own risk. There is a risk. RCI has made you aware of the risk. Now take your pick and decide where you want you and your kids to sleep.... and swim. Everyone in the cabin has a place to sleep. No one does bed checks. The OP had no issue booking a cabin with Pullmans for the child to sleep in. Maybe I am missing something, even though I have read the whole thread, but I don't see the big issue here.... at all.