I LOVE HAL and most here know it......

sail7seas

Sail7Seas,

Congratulations on taking this big step.

I did my first cruise without my DH with my niece. I chose to stick with HAL but each of us need to do what makes us comfortable.

My best advice is to let your friends know that you might need alone time. If a STUG (sudden traumatic urge of grief) hits, just go to your suite until it passes.

It is also good if you ask your friends to let you tell them if you need help rather than them asking "are you OK?"

Enjoy, have fun, stay strong!

I admire your courage in taking this first, most important step and wish you a wonderful time with your friends and a safe trip. Please let us know your opinion of NCL when you return home. Enjoy!

Congratulations Judith on deciding your time has come to move on.

I don't think that any one can tell another person when that time has arrived.

I think the advice given from Elsie is about the best your could get from any one.

Still in our prayers

Ralph

But I booked a suite on NCL today.

Friends are sailing a date that works for me, it will be my first time sailing solo and I am not up to sailing HAL yet without my DH. Were crew to ask 'where's Sir Robert', it would be very hard for me. I know if I don't sail soon, I might never and I don't want that to happen.

I won't have to worry about losing use of my veranda due to a neighboring smoker which would be a BIG factor for me. I am not willing to take a chance on losing use of my verandah because of smokers.

Please, wish me luck. :o I hope I made a good choice.

Sail, I am so glad you finally decided to cruise with your friends. It is a good way to get back into cruising again. Even though you won't have the Neptune Lounge for snacks or morning coffee you will have a butler who will bring you whatever you want, whenever you want it. And your stateroom will have it's own coffee machine. Enjoy.

Hopefully someday you will feel up to cruising on HAL again.

Good for you! You have made the right decision, IMO. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time because 1) You are a positive person and, 2) You will be with friends. I look forward to your contrast/compare if you're up for it. We have never sailed NCL, but friends have and they loved it.

Thank you all the nice messages. Makes me feel maybe I did make a good decision. :)

I plan to try hard to not compare but it is inevitable to some extent. After all, I compare each HAL ship to another why wouldn't I compare another cruise line I've never sailed before? :D

There's nothing wrong with making comparisons. I think (hope) you'll find much to like on NCL, as I do. Even if NCL doesn't turn out to be a good match for you, I hope you'll find that you're able to cruise again. You've made that first important step, and I wish you a wonderful and healing cruise. Most of all, I hope someday you will have healed enough to return to HAL.

Edited by buckirj1

There are so many kind and caring people on this forum. It is easy to forget the basic kindness in most of us when the petty sniping and contrariness rears its ugly head. The support given me in this thread is beyond describing and I cannot tell you how much it means to me. Many have walked the sad road I walk and hearing from those who succeeded in 'coming out the other side' gives me hope and courage.

Many thanks and for sure I'll post comments and likely comparisons :o when I return. :)

Oh, Sail---I am SO SO happy for you! I think of you so often, even though we have never met, and I have been praying for you about this decision to sail again. I love that the decision is made and the cruise is booked! That was the big hurdle---it is like saying, "I am going to go on with my life, just as DH would want me to do."

Having friends with you, having a beautiful new suite on a new line, getting to be back upon God's great big beautiful ocean---all blessings that will help you through this first cruise in "the rest of your life".

I always love your good advice and wise comments here on this forum. My advice for you---Have a wonderful time and let folks pamper you! You deserve it. Can't wait to read your comments and evaluations after your cruise.

Thank you all the nice messages. Makes me feel maybe I did make a good decision. :)

I plan to try hard to not compare but it is inevitable to some extent. After all, I compare each HAL ship to another why wouldn't I compare another cruise line I've never sailed before? :D

Whenever we see your posts, we always say 'lets see what Sail7Seas says', and just like tonight we read your posts like gospel. so sorry you are sailing solo, and this makes me sad, but gives me hope too. my husband and i always promise that we will cruise again (and are instructed to Neptune, which we have never done, if we have to sail solo one day). I know that this will be a new voyage, but i am proud of you. your husband would be too. keep us posted. I love HAL also, very much and only have disney and carnival to compare it to, but just the same, we all await your insight and tips for us on your virgin NCL voyage.

But I booked a suite on NCL today.

Friends are sailing a date that works for me, it will be my first time sailing solo and I am not up to sailing HAL yet without my DH. Were crew to ask 'where's Sir Robert', it would be very hard for me. I know if I don't sail soon, I might never and I don't want that to happen.

I won't have to worry about losing use of my veranda due to a neighboring smoker which would be a BIG factor for me. I am not willing to take a chance on losing use of my verandah because of smokers.

Please, wish me luck. :o I hope I made a good choice.

Good luck and I hope we do not lose you to NCL.

Oh, Sail---I am SO SO happy for you! I think of you so often, even though we have never met, and I have been praying for you about this decision to sail again. I love that the decision is made and the cruise is booked! That was the big hurdle---it is like saying, "I am going to go on with my life, just as DH would want me to do."

Having friends with you, having a beautiful new suite on a new line, getting to be back upon God's great big beautiful ocean---all blessings that will help you through this first cruise in "the rest of your life".

I always love your good advice and wise comments here on this forum. My advice for you---Have a wonderful time and let folks pamper you! You deserve it. Can't wait to read your comments and evaluations after your cruise.

Whenever we see your posts, we always say 'lets see what Sail7Seas says', and just like tonight we read your posts like gospel. so sorry you are sailing solo, and this makes me sad, but gives me hope too. my husband and i always promise that we will cruise again (and are instructed to Neptune, which we have never done, if we have to sail solo one day). I know that this will be a new voyage, but i am proud of you. your husband would be too. keep us posted. I love HAL also, very much and only have disney and carnival to compare it to, but just the same, we all await your insight and tips for us on your virgin NCL voyage.

Himself

Good luck and I hope we do not lose you to NCL.

I was doing so well........ :D You three made me teary.

Beautiful messages. Really lovely.Thank you.

Highly unlikely I will be 'lost to NCL'. HAL has been our cruise 'home' for decades. I just need to build the strength to go back. This is (hopefully) a first step for me. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I am so glad you've decided to take the plunge and do this solo cruise. From my perspective, you are wise to choose an entirely new cruising experience and cruising with friends will be a plus. There still will be times when the fact of missing your DH will overwhelm you. Allow yourself your private times when your grief can surface and be recognized. It will be therapeutic.

Of course, when you are ready, we will expect some kind of review of your experience on a very different kind of cruise on a different line. Just don't forget that we're counting on you to come back to us on HAL and re-discover that joy of being with your HAL cruise friends and crew.

Good for you! Hope you enjoy your cruise. While HAL is still our favorite, suites on NCL are our definite 2nd. I still missed the Neptune but everything else was always wonderful (except maybe the "graffiti" paint job). :D

Sail, I echo the well wishes of others. I'm certain that no matter the experience you will come back to share your honest and thoughtful opinions.

Enjoy your solo cruise on a new line with close friends. We'll all be thinking warm thoughts about you as you embark on your brave voyage!

Sail, it's a big step you're taking and a good one! You're blessed to be going with good friends, and I think the idea of a different ship/cruise line is a smart thing to do at this time.

You'll love the suite service on NCL, especially the breakfasts in Cagney's for suite passengers, and your promo for specialty dining each night is wonderful!

Enjoy yourself and Bermuda, my friend. My thoughts and best wishes sail with you :)

Carol

My hope is that your friends will reciprocate and sail with you on HAL soon, and that the staff who is used to seeing you with DH will meet you with other friends and that will ease the transition.

Roy

My hope is that your friends will reciprocate and sail with you on HAL soon, and that the staff who is used to seeing you with DH will meet you with other friends and that will ease the transition.

Roy

You must have ESP, Roy.

The friends with whom I am sailing have been on HAL with us two or three cruises and DH and My last cruise together was with them on Veendam. We sailed Canada/New England.

They are dear people with whom we have been friends for many years. :)