Couple in 80s told to get off the ship!

SALAD MUNCHER

Not specific to the passenger in question, but in general, the day I can no longer figure out how to call the consulate in whatever country/zone I am in or figure out how to repatriate myself in some sort of emergency is the day I will stop traveling.

Easily said now......you have no way of knowing how you will feel when that day comes. Cavalier attitudes have nothing to do with reality.

Easily said now......you have no way of knowing how you will feel when that day comes. Cavalier attitudes have nothing to do with reality.

Nothing cavalier about it. When I can no longer manage my bags, figure out how to make a phone call, etc., it will be time to stop traveling. It's common sense.

Nothing cavalier about it. When I can no longer manage my bags, figure out how to make a phone call, etc., it will be time to stop traveling. It's common sense.

I speak from personal expierence.......a time can come when a person can no longer manage on their own. Common sense doesn't say they have to give up what they enjoy......common sense says that they will need help. We all find our own way to cope. :)

Not specific to the passenger in question, but in general, the day I can no longer figure out how to call the consulate in whatever country/zone I am in or figure out how to repatriate myself in some sort of emergency is the day I will stop traveling.

But fortunately this couple were able to get home, despite not being able to use the most direct route.

As we are all speculating, maybe the gentleman's ESTA ran out during their holiday/vacation, after Fort Lauderdale? .

If that was the case it would have been easy for staff to obtain a new one before docking in US.

David

So what if you got injured and couldn't arrange your own medical assistance, hospital admission, repatriation? You'd rely on others, right.

David.

Most countries (including the UK and Canada) require prescription medications to be in the original container with the prescription label as dispensed by the pharmacy. Without these labels how do CBP know these are legal drugs? They don't and drug smugglers come in all ages. They are not just 20 year old Hispanic males.

Do most people leave their prescriptions in their original containers? I awl au distribute mine out into daily pillbox portions. If not, I would never be able to keep,track.

So what if you got injured and couldn't arrange your own medical assistance, hospital admission, repatriation? You'd rely on others, right.

David.

Big difference between leaving home not being able to take care of myself and having an emergency happen along the way.

Do most people leave their prescriptions in their original containers? I awl au distribute mine out into daily pillbox portions. If not, I would never be able to keep,track.

I leave mine in the original containers. I have no problem keeping track. I take three vitamins/supplements and three prescription meds daily.

DH and I do both. We usually do a weekly pillbox and take the boxes for refills. DH takes so many tablets he finds it easier to slip the day's tray into his pocket so that he has them readily available just before he eats rather than start 'faffing' around at the table and we both take tablets that need to be taken just before eating so can't take in the cabin in case the wait before food is too long.

BTW we always take copies of our prescription with us.

Well if that applied to passengers on Cunard ships they would be sailing half empty.

David

Ha Ha David, so true! Many 'elderly' folk have mobile phones with them but don't really know how to use them in respect to country codes etc. Technology surged over the last 30ish years, before that we all typed on manual typewriters and used public phone boxes! :) Fortunately many elderly folk are able to look after themselves in general when they go on holiday BUT imagine how difficult it must be if you suddenly find yourself in very unfamiliar situations with no help at hand, e.g. no Ship's Pursar's desk nearby to ask for help - even younger people would find this daunting to say the least.

If that was the case it would have been easy for staff to obtain a new one before docking in US.

David

That is true, you would think so anyway. We were on a transatlantic from Barcelona a few years ago, and though the cruise line had sent out emails to tell us to take a copy of our ESTA's with us, some passengers decided to go with the official ESTA information that you don't actually need one, maybe just the number. So at check in quite a few passengers were hastily on computers bringing up their ESTA acceptance and getting them printed out. A couple of friends couldn't manage for some reason, and were told they were off the ship at Madeira to make their own way home if they couldn't do so before then. They weren't given the chance to keep trying all the way across the Atlantic. Happily they did manage before Madeira. Maybe it is a bit too sticky a situation for cruise lines just in case the passenger is refused.

I do wish we could find out though so we don't ever do the same thing.

Hi I am not sure if this would have been allowed but if there were problems with the US visa why can't they have just confined them to the ship on this section until the ship left US territory. That would have maybe been a more sensible solution for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because of the large number of different pills we take, I've been putting our pills in little 2" clear zip-lock bags (that can be written on with a felt pen). Separate bags for each of us and for day and night pills. Since some of our pills are to be taken with meals, the little bags are a less noticeable to those around us than pulling out a pill box or several pill bottles.

However, just to be safe, I have our doctor give us paper copies of all our prescriptions to carry with us just in case there is a problem.

Bob

Bob, Please say that you searched for the, usually obscure, elevator. I've never been in a train station in Germany that didn't have one.:confused:

Wuerzburg doesn't. Cologne offers elevators, porters thar can be preordered by train staff and special assistance by Bahnhofsmission. It is a very large station indeed and a very busy one, too.

Btw: Hi, I'm back, long lost due to some sad family incidents.

Salacia, it really wasn't as bad as it sounds....it was done by a really nice lady. I just couldn't figure out the point since I was boarding a ship full of sharp knives and forks. I never thought to ask what she was looking for. :)

The new security system at the QE Terminal has the same random search indicator as the airport systems. It's nothing personal.

Because of the large number of different pills we take, I've been putting our pills in little 2" clear zip-lock bags (that can be written on with a felt pen). Separate bags for each of us and for day and night pills. Since some of our pills are to be taken with meals, the little bags are a less noticeable to those around us than pulling out a pill box or several pill bottles.

However, just to be safe, I have our doctor give us paper copies of all our prescriptions to carry with us just in case there is a problem.

Bob

I take a lot of supplements as soon as I finish breakfast. They are all loaded into daily pill boxes and then transferred to a small plastic Ziplock before I leave our cabin for breakfast each morning.

Thus far our longest trip has been a month, which required four week-long daily pill boxes, plus a few preloaded little Ziplocks. Planning for a really long trip would be a challenge.

I take a lot of supplements as soon as I finish breakfast. They are all loaded into daily pill boxes and then transferred to a small plastic Ziplock before I leave our cabin for breakfast each morning.

If you are going to tranfer your pills every day from a weekly pill box on board, why don't you just put them in the little ziplocks (once) before you leave and leave the four plastic weekly pill boxes at home?

Bob

If you are going to tranfer your pills every day from a weekly pill box on board, why don't you just put them in the little ziplocks (once) before you leave and leave the four plastic weekly pill boxes at home?

Bob

That's a very good idea. I've seen the smaller zip locks on ebay......the ones used for jewelry. Grab a bag in the morning instead of the routine of sitting on the bed...one of these, one of these, one of these, one of these, one of these, and two of those. Thanks Bob. :)

Wuerzburg doesn't. Cologne offers elevators, porters thar can be preordered by train staff and special assistance by Bahnhofsmission. It is a very large station indeed and a very busy one, too.

Btw: Hi, I'm back, long lost due to some sad family incidents.

Hi Cunardaddict. To you and your family: I am sorry for your pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Shalom, -S.

Bob

That is a great idea, but please be aware that some drugs need storing in a certain way.Too long out of their original packaging may not give them the protection they need.Alot of drugs should be stored out of bathrooms.containers and packaging protect the drugs from light and moisture.I would defiinately read every storage leaflet in the original packaging,especially when on a long cruise.

;)

Bob

This is a good idea, but it is so much faster, when loading an entire month's worth of pills, to just toss them into the pill boxes, rather than loading them into the individual Ziplocs. Transferring them one day at a time from the pill boxes to the baggies on the ship is fast and painless. Moreover, it allows me to keep track of the days, which can become confusing on a long cruise with lots of sea days.

Another concern, is that during travel they aren't as well protected in the Ziplocs as they are in the pillboxes. I have had Vitamin "E" capsules in Ziplocs get squashed in my purse and they are really messy.

I had originally bought a bunch of 2" x 3" bags but they turned out to be too small and were constantly breaking open at the bottom, releasing the pills. I just recently bought 200 3" x 4" bags which I am certain will work better, and break open less often.