Couple in 80s told to get off the ship!

SALAD MUNCHER

Saw a report last night on the local TV station (NW UK) that a couple in their 80s who were taking a cruise though the Panama Canal to celebrate the man's birthday were asked to disembark a Cunard ship (doesn't mention which one) in South America prior to it's passage through the Panama Canal and into USA because the USA authorities has decided to recind the man's USA Visa without giving a reason. Apparently they asked why and were never told, and still they say they have no idea why. It appears they were just dumped in South America and had to make their own way home. It took a 3 hour taxi ride to an airport in South America and three air journeys before they got home at a cost (they say) of £10k+.

Has anyone else heard about this kind of thing happening on Cunard?

Saw a report last night on the local TV station (NW UK) that a couple in their 80s who were taking a cruise though the Panama Canal to celebrate the man's birthday were asked to disembark a Cunard ship (doesn't mention which one) in South America prior to it's passage through the Panama Canal and into USA because the USA authorities has decided to recind the man's USA Visa without giving a reason. Apparently they asked why and were never told, and still they say they have no idea why. It appears they were just dumped in South America and had to make their own way home. It took a 3 hour taxi ride to an airport in South America and three air journeys before they got home at a cost (they say) of £10k+.

Has anyone else heard about this kind of thing happening on Cunard?

Hi SALAD MUNCHER

It would be good to know more details, but if the following port of call was on US soil, I would imagine that any shipping line or airline (please let us not blame Cunard specifically) would be breaking laws/rules by taking the passenger to a country for which he did not have a valid visa. They would have no choice but to put him off at the port prior to the US one.

We do not know his nationality. Or the reasons that the US authorities had for cancelling his visa (but I would imagine they would have to be good ones, to grant a visa and then cancel it... unusual I would have thought).

As we've only heard one side of this situation, and until we know more, I think his problem is with the US authorities, not with Cunard. In this case, I feel they are being unfairly blamed.

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Pepper

It appears they are both British living in a small town near Lancaster. I wasn't blaming Cunard, I was just shocked at the story of these two elderly passengers being left to their own devices in a strange country. It could happen to any of us!

I have tried finding the report online (it was on Granada reports last night) but have not managed to do so.

Cheers, Sue

Hi Pepper It appears they are both British living in a small town near Lancaster. I wasn't blaming Cunard, I was just shocked at the story of these two elderly passengers being left to their own devices in a strange country. It could happen to any of us! I have tried finding the report online (it was on Granada reports last night) but have not managed to do so. Cheers, Sue
Hi Sue,

Thank you for your post :) . I do hope that it couldn't happen to any of us!

If they are British I wonder why they had a visa in the first place, as most of us are covered under the visa-waver ESTA system? Odd.

I agree with you, for this elderly couple to have to get home, under their own steam, with little or no assistance, from a remote foreign country (that they weren't expecting to visit in the first place) must have been unbelievably upsetting and distressing (to say the very least).

I'm not doubting your reporting of these distressing events in any way, not at all. But I do know what local-tv-reporters can be like. Little or no research and alarmist eye-catching headlines, on a slow news day they have to fill up that 30 minute slot with lots of anything. And it is easy to blame the big faceless corporation and go for the sympathy vote. Often, when the full facts are known, the story isn't like the initial report at all! If you find out more details, I'd be keen to hear.

With all best wishes to you, and many thanks :)

Edited by pepperrn

Here is the BBC North West report - the story starts at 05.48 minutes:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05n1f11/north-west-tonight-01042015
Thank you Happyboating for the link to the programme.

The unfortunate couple do not appear to be blaming Cunard at all, in fact they don't (nor the reporter) say the name Cunard once... They just seem very puzzled.

(For those unable to see the video, the clues to this being a Cunard ship, are a carefully arranged Cunard brochure "in shot" and the name on some paperwork)

Thanks again and all best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks for the links, I'm not able to view the report at the moment but I'll watch it tonight.

What a shame their holiday came to such an abrupt end, I hope they have recovered from their journey home.

Thank you for your post :) . I do hope that it couldn't happen to any of us!

If they are British I wonder why they had a visa in the first place, as most of us are covered under the visa-waver ESTA system? Odd.

:)

It's unlikely that they had a visa. Explaining what a visa waiver is on a tv report? it was fair for them to call it a visa.

Obviously Cunard was not responsible in any way, and of course we don't know the reason for the rejection of the visa by the US authorities In so many cases of tv reporting we seldom get the full story.

It's to be hoped that Cunard gave full support in the travel arrangements to get the couple home. To be dumped ashore without any support or help at age 80 would be a nightmare for most at half the age.

David.

It's unlikely that they had a visa. Explaining what a visa waiver is on a tv report? it was fair for them to call it a visa.

Obviously Cunard was not responsible in any way, and of course we don't know the reason for the rejection of the visa by the US authorities In so many cases of tv reporting we seldom get the full story.

It's to be hoped that Cunard gave full support in the travel arrangements to get the couple home. To be dumped ashore without any support or help at age 80 would be a nightmare for most at half the age.

Hi balf,

I agree with all the points you've mentioned above, well said (esp your final comment).

I hadn't thought that they might use short-hand (Visa for the ESTA waiver), my oversight :o

Best wishes :)

This is a really interesting report and I would love to hear the details, but I can't find anything on the internet and can't view the link.

Please post if you hear anymore.

I thought the ship always checked all of your visa information before you boarded.

Our next door neighbor had some Chinese visitors who were going to take a cruise to Alaska, round-trip Seattle, but when they went to board, they were rejected because they didn't have a Canadian Visa and all ships going to Alaska from US ports make one Canadian stop somewhere along the way to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act. The family flew to Hawaii instead.

I found this on the Internet at the USA visa site.

Under the US Visa Waiver Program, many British Citizens holding a UK passport do not require a US visa providing: Duration of stay is not more than 90 days and traveller holds a valid ticket for onward or return travel. Passport is valid for at least 90 days from date of entry into the United States.

I still wonder what happened to this couple. ??

Thanks to VPN, I was able to watch the BBC video. I certainly hope that enough people keep on this story so the US government will have to explain why this was done and issue an official appology if the reason is government error.

I would hate to think of my wife and I being stranded while we are on our South America WC segment next year. We are about 10 years younger and it would be difficult for us and we live in the United States. For an elderly couple from the UK, this could have been a serious health hazard. We can only be glad that they made it back home safely.

Bob

Edited by BobBranst

Under the US Visa Waiver Program, many British Citizens holding a UK passport do not require a US visa providing: Duration of stay is not more than 90 days and traveller holds a valid ticket for onward or return travel. Passport is valid for at least 90 days from date of entry into the United States.

You also must have an e passport (Biometric passport) first issued in UK in May 2007. UK Passports a valid for 10years. They may have overlooked this, if their passport expires within the next year or so.

Edited by Pennbank

Under the Visa Waiver Programme one must register online for an ESTA at least 72 hours before travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements

'Those travelling under the VWP arriving by air or sea should provide details online at least 72 hours before travel. This is known as an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation or ESTA. If you do not have an ESTA you’ll be refused travel to the USA. If you’re arriving by land, you do not need to complete an ESTA before you arrive at the border. Getting an ESTA is a separate process to providing your airline with advance passenger information (details of your passport, country of residence, address of your first night’s accommodation in the US etc). For more information, and to apply online, visit the official ESTA website.'

Given the age of the couple, I wonder if they had in fact registered online.

I tried to follow Happyboating's link and could only get onto Iplayer, no specific page.

Tried googling and came full circle back to Cruise Critic.

Oh well.

Interestingly I followed a story on another forum recently where a member claimed they were refused a Heathrow flight to the US because the airline could not verify their ESTA.

Simple answer surely is to print off a copy of your ESTA.

I tried to follow Happyboating's link and could only get onto Iplayer, no specific page.

Oh well.

Interestingly I followed a story on another forum recently where a member claimed they were refused a Heathrow flight to the US because the airline could not verify their ESTA.

Actually thinking about it, if it is only the BBC that has reported this, and Google seems to confirm it, I'll treat it with a pinch of salt.

From the BBC video and the itinerary it shows, I think we can deduce that the couple were on this segment of the QV 2015 world voyage.

Tue 20 Jan Southampton, England

Fri 23 Jan Ponta Delgada, The Azores

Thu 29 Jan St John’s, Antigua

Fri 30 Jan Road Town, Tortola

Sun 01 Feb Nassau, Bahamas

Mon 02 Feb Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thu 05 Feb Kralendijk, Bonaire

Fri 06 Feb Oranjestad, Aruba

Sun 08 Feb Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Mon 09 Feb Transit the Panama Canal

Thu 12 Feb Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Tue 17 Feb Los Angeles, California

Thu 19 Feb San Francisco, California

The report states the couple found themselves in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (the final port of call prior to arrival in Los Angeles on 17 Feb). But this implies the U.S authorities found no problem with their earlier arrival in Fort Lauderdale on 02 Feb. Curious indeed.

Regards,

John.

Oh well.

Not every body has a printer.

In any event, one would just need the allocated Application Number to check/verify status.

The BBC link won't play on US sites. Very strange that the visa would be revoked especially since 80-year olds are not normally considered high security risks.

I would however be cautious before complaining that 80 year olds cannot be put off a ship because they have to arrange their way home from a foreign country. Unless one or both of them were impaired it can scarcely be easier to deal with this whether one is in their 20s versus their 80s. Do all of us reach a point where we can be denied boarding without a younger traveling companion because "things would be too difficult" should we have to disembark early? Or can an anti-social 80 year old make life difficult for the crew and fellow passengers because they cannot be disembarked over despicable behavior?

Edited by BlueRiband

I would however be cautious before complaining that 80 year olds cannot be put off a ship because they have to arrange their way home from a foreign country. Unless one or both of them were impaired it can scarcely be easier to deal with this whether one is in their 20s versus their 80s.

I can assure you that there is a huge difference between being 20 and 80 when it comes to being alone in a foreign country especially if the people of that country do not not speak the same language as you. I don't know too many 20 year olds or even 60 year olds who have difficulty hearing and must wear hearing aids and suffer from the arthritis or other age related maladies. On a cruise ship or a guided land tour, this is not a problem, but it is an altogether differnt thing being totally on your own. It was a lot easier to lug around heavy suitcases when I was younger. (I well remember how difficult it was for us to manage our suitcase when we were in France and Germany especially when I had to lug the heavy ones up a long flight of stairs in the Cologne train station.) Perhaps you need to "walk a mile in their shoes" before judging them.

Bob

Actually thinking about it, if it is only the BBC that has reported this, and Google seems to confirm it, I'll treat it with a pinch of salt.

It's unfortunate that you can't see the TV clip. If you had you would not treat it as a pinch of salt.

David.