Couple in 80s told to get off the ship!

SALAD MUNCHER

Knowing something about how "these things" work it is highly likely that one of the party has prior convictions for a serious offence - they may be 85 now, but they were 20 once upon a time and the legal system has a very long memory. I have an elderly uncle with some less than salubrious activities in his distant criminal past, classic black sheep of the family and all that - he can never visit the US, entry would be denied.

Of course it could all be a case of mistaken identity, but this is one of the drawbacks of the visa waiver program - you are not pre-authorized, you have to know that you are "clean" before attempting entry. If you think that's strict I had to have a blood test at the US Embassy to prove that I didn't have any STDs before they would let me in (the very thought !!), and that in addition to producing my (blank) Scotland Yard criminal history record (and a chest x-ray for TB, and extra inoculations with accompanying certificate etc etc). Yes, the US is strict - don't even get me started on filing US tax returns.

Cunard submits the passenger itinerary with dates of birth - the US Immigration people run that file up against their latest UK criminals file and matches are automatically denied entry. Post 9/11 the Americans don't mess around and they would rather be safe than sorry. Their country, their rules.

Having said all that I am disappointed that Cunard didn't do more (a lot more) to help this elderly couple - a good marketing team would have recognized this as an opportunity for some excellent publicity.

Cunard fail.

Edited by Winchester Ranger

Well there have been some pretty judgemental views in the last seven pages and sometimes I really can't believe how far people are willing to speculate when not in possession of any facts at all. More than anything else I'm just pleased that the couple made it home safely rather than the old girl collapsing with a coronary at the quay side while trying to push a wheelchair. Now, that would have been a black headline for Cunard.

Might I just offer a few thoughts?

* Who on earth can possibly imagine that this is all some sort of hoax? This is the BBC we are talking about, not the National Enquirer / Daily Star / pick your own local rag. It's not even Fox News with some convoluted view of reality in the world at large. The BBC is such a paragon of responsible journalism that neither side of the UK political spectrum likes them.

* Whatever the reason for the US withdrawing consent to enter, we all agree that the couple were allowed to enter once and there were other, maybe better options for them to be put off the ship before Panama. So can anyone honestly argue that there is not in some way, some sort of screw up by the US official system here? Even with a one entry only visa (which in itself would be a strange thing for a couple in their 80s) it's not beyond the wit of man for some jobsworth at the Florida immigration desk to point out that everyone else on the ship has different paperwork and they really ought to get it sorted. Hooray for the land of customer service.

* If I go to board a plane for the US the airline checks that I have the right passport, ESTA, forward details, my underpants are on the right way around and my shoe laces are fastened before they let me through the gate. Cruise lines merely remind me to get an ESTA and they check my passport at the quay. It's a problem waiting to happen and whatever the reason for the US action, be it monumental incompetence or a former shady past or whatever, this sort of thing must happen more than we realise. Cunard have to carry some of the blame for two oldies being put off the ship in the most inconvenient place.

* I'm surprised, appalled and every thought in between that Cunard (reportedly) did nothing other than hoist out the gang plank and kick them off the end. They pay for the services of a port agent who ought to have been getting him/herself involved. They have lots of spare people on board during port days, who fill their time by taking free trips on tour buses. If they really didn't provide any end-to-end help then it's a disgrace.

Mini rant over ..... cooling down now.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Well there have been some pretty judgemental views in the last seven pages and sometimes I really can't believe how far people are willing to speculate when not in possession of any facts at all. More than anything else I'm just pleased that the couple made it home safely rather than the old girl collapsing with a coronary at the quay side while trying to push a wheelchair. Now, that would have been a black headline for Cunard.

Might I just offer a few thoughts?

* Who on earth can possibly imagine that this is all some sort of hoax? This is the BBC we are talking about, not the National Enquirer / Daily Star / pick your own local rag. It's not even Fox News with some convoluted view of reality in the world at large. The BBC is such a paragon of responsible journalism that neither side of the UK political spectrum likes them.

* Whatever the reason for the US withdrawing consent to enter, we all agree that the couple were allowed to enter once and there were other, maybe better options for them to be put off the ship before Panama. So can anyone honestly argue that there is not in some way, some sort of screw up by the US official system here? Even with a one entry only visa (which in itself would be a strange thing for a couple in their 80s) it's not beyond the wit of man for some jobsworth at the Florida immigration desk to point out that everyone else on the ship has different paperwork and they really ought to get it sorted. Hooray for the land of customer service.

* If I go to board a plane for the US the airline checks that I have the right passport, ESTA, forward details, my underpants are on the right way around and my shoe laces are fastened before they let me through the gate. Cruise lines merely remind me to get an ESTA and they check my passport at the quay. It's a problem waiting to happen and whatever the reason for the US action, be it monumental incompetence or a former shady past or whatever, this sort of thing must happen more than we realise. Cunard have to carry some of the blame for two oldies being put off the ship in the most inconvenient place.

* I'm surprised, appalled and every thought in between that Cunard (reportedly) did nothing other than hoist out the gang plank and kick them off the end. They pay for the services of a port agent who ought to have been getting him/herself involved. They have lots of spare people on board during port days, who fill their time by taking free trips on tour buses. If they really didn't provide any end-to-end help then it's a disgrace.

Mini rant over ..... cooling down now.

Could not have said it better myself! Just off the QM2 and did notice an 'upping' of tender operation security after the tragic incident earlier in the year. However the service has dropped in other areas, which if you hadn't sailed Cunard previously you wouldn't notice.

Well there have been some pretty judgemental views in the last seven pages and sometimes I really can't believe how far people are willing to speculate when not in possession of any facts at all.

I have no reason to doubt that something happened, but do find it unusual that all traces of the story seem to have vanished. Is it possible that being disliked by both sides of the political spectrum might actually not confer infallibility on BBC? Perhaps there might have been honest error in reporting, followed by wholly understandable reluctance to maintain records demonstrating such error?

I googled this from every angle and never could find the story. Most interesting is that the Cruise Industry Ambulance chaser "Cruiselawnews" also never picked up on this....that guy does not miss a story, I am doubting this report !

It happened in February, was reported on BBC local news in April (the programme only stays online for 24 hours, there is nothing sinister in the fact that it is no longer there), and we have heard nothing further.

Cruiselawnews probably wasn't interested as the couple didn't seem to be wanting to sue anyone.

It happened in February, was reported on BBC local news in April (the programme only stays online for 24 hours, there is nothing sinister in the fact that it is no longer there), and we have heard nothing further.

Cruiselawnews probably wasn't interested as the couple didn't seem to be wanting to sue anyone.

There are very few news stories, particularly ones as filled with "human interest" as this, which simply vanish. I am not a conspiracy theorist, nor do I think anything "sinister" is going on, but if BBC is anywhere near as infallible as Chunky. 2219 would have us believe, it seems unlikely that the story would simply be "no longer there".

When faced with a number of improbables, it often makes sense to consider the least improbable ---- which could be that there was a lot less to the story than was originally reported.

I am not so sure, news stories come and go and for many varied reasons some stay and linger far long than necessary while others disappear without a trace. I just think the story was reported and has had no follow up. It happens a lot now as so much of the news is syndicated around the global network. Had this couple had a serious complaint and been younger, social media may have come into play as well.

US immigration enforcement is arbitrary so this wouldn't surprise me in the least. I used to regularly take the Discovery Sun ferry between Ft. Lauderdale and Freeport, Bahamas. Disembarking always was delayed an hour in Florida while at least a half dozen people were routinely chased down and detained every time. UK immigration can also be a pain though.