Ryndam - apparent murder/suicide onboard

Sheesh!

HAL had to tell the passenger and the public SOMETHING! Had they said an 'incident' and nothing else... they would have pandemonium!

"Ship should have stayed in port until FBI completed their inquest" A $500 million ship staying in port so FBI could take a month? No way. What about all of the passengers? Stay on board.... without being to get ashore?

Let the FBI do their job. I'm quite certain they were involved from the moment and gave the ship permission to sail.

But blame HAL? No! They had to say something. Heck, passengers complain that the clock in the cabin didn't work and they want to know why. (Of course we all know what.... the clocks stopped for I hour for zone time change!)

Stephen

From the Tampa Tribune...

"That night the biggest question was whether the Ryndam would even leave Puerto Rico, and the consensus was we would likely be flown back to Tampa.

The captain came over the speaker system. He said there had been what appeared to have been a murder-suicide and that the ship had to wait until it was cleared by the FBI to continue on."

So did HAL do the right think? YES.

Had they said nothing it would have made a worse situation for the passengers.

Hand they not explained how the two passengers had died, they would have a story that there was a murderer on the loose. Would you want to know?

"That night the biggest question was whether the Ryndam would even leave Puerto Rico, and the consensus was we would likely be flown back to Tampa.

The captain came over the speaker system. He said there had been what appeared to have been a murder-suicide and that the ship had to wait until it was cleared by the FBI to continue on."

Hand they not explained how the two passengers had died, they would have a story that there was a murderer on the loose. Would you want to know?

100% agree with this! Be up-front and honest with the facts. No white-washing of information. We are adults; we can handle the truth, regardless of what it might be.

Well it is a sad situation but you have to consider the source of the article.

I've read cruiselawnews for years, you learn so much about the dark side of travel and not just on cruise ships. He is a plaintiff attorney for wronged passengers and crew. He is working to educate and protect cruise passengers, we are entirely too trusting.

His insight last year Into the NA horror story(crew member rapes, beats and nearly kills a passenger) was very enlightening. Even though cruise lines technically do "background checks" on crew members I learned most third world countries lack significant crime data bases. Never presume crew members have been thoroughly vetted.

Sheesh!

HAL had to tell the passenger and the public SOMETHING! Had they said an 'incident' and nothing else... they would have pandemonium!

"Ship should have stayed in port until FBI completed their inquest" A $500 million ship staying in port so FBI could take a month? No way. What about all of the passengers? Stay on board.... without being to get ashore?

Let the FBI do their job. I'm quite certain they were involved from the moment and gave the ship permission to sail.

But blame HAL? No! (SNIP)

Stephen

Completely agree with you Stephen.. Can't imagine anyone would suggest that a ship stay in Port for days on end.. The Captain has a responsibility to all his Psgrs .& agree that HAL handled this horrible incident perfectly..

... Never presume crew members have been thoroughly vetted...

They certainly have been vetted more than the 2000 other passengers on board :rolleyes: I'll take my chances with the crew any day over some of the other passengers I have witnessed over the years.

From today's Tampa Tribune. The author, Steve Otto, is a retired Tampa Tribune columnist.

http://tbo.com/list/news-columns-sotto/vacation-cruise-out-of-tampa-turned-into-murder-mystery-20150413/

Holy moly, if that's the real story that's some tough stuff.

ETA: for all of the people saying it was a tragedy and that they hoped the people would find peace- lets. It forget it was a crime scene and one of the people was a murderer.

Edited by Seago2