Ryndam - apparent murder/suicide onboard

I do hurt for the steward who discovered them. I hope HAL provides adequate counselling for that contingency. I also feel for the family and friends of this couple who have been blindsided by this.

The crew do not speak of such things. No one coming after will ever know. Odds are pretty good that someone has died in at least one hotel bed in which you've slept.

:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt that future guests would be made aware of which cabin this occurred in. The crew most likely have been instructed not to speak of it.

Ya think ??

Edited by F27TW

Just heard about this on our local news. Not much information, they are from Salem, Ohio. Names not yet being released, they flew out of Cleveland, were on a 14 day cruise from Tampa on Holland America Ryndam. The crew found the 2 and was an apparent murder/suicide. :eek:

My mom and I are on board this cruise. We were informed of this incident on board with a ship wide announcement at 8:15 pm. Shared how it could delay our departure for st Thomas and arrival there tomorrow morning but am happy to report on behalf of all on board that as of about 12:20am we are off the pier from pier 3 east and backing out to start out of San Juan, past El Morrow and head for St. Thomas. It's only 75 nautical miles so no big deal. Posting this using my cel so will be switching to airplane mode once we get out. Oh and this was discovered right after we arrived at 11:30am this morning. We docked at 11:10. Just under 2 hours early coming in from 2 days at sea from Key West.

Edited by rjbean4

We are now out from San Juan turning to the east heading for St. Thomas. We have actually now lost 5 passengers as 3 were disembarked in Tampa before we even sailed. We sailed 40 min late because of it and then we're late into Key West on Monday.

DW and I were on Norwegian Breakaway when the young child drowned in the adult pool. It is never easy to be on a ship when something like this occurs. I can only hope that the families of the affected will be able to find comfort after time has past.

Before we make these incidents any more sensational than already presented, let's keep in mind in most every community, there are murder suicides, there are fatal accidents, instead of falling between a tender and a ship, they fall off roofs while shoveling Boston's incredible snowfall....... Where there are people there will be incidents.

A ship is a community and people have heart attacks, strokes, serious falls, broken bones and yes, murders and suicides.

Always sad and we always wish them and their loved ones peace.

Edited by sail7seas

I was on the Quantum this past January and one of the passengers ended up missing and was found dead on a bathroom floor in San Juan. We couldn't depart for over 90 minutes and the police and dogs swept parts of the ship.

The next day the report in the papers said Royal Caribbean cruiser from the

Quantum of the Seas found dead .............. the coroner said they were looking into it as he was found with syringes in his shirt pocket etc. The wife or girl friend said he was not a drug user and didn't know why or how the syringes would end up on him. They visited the Fort and became separated so she returned to the ship.

Needless second days AP story was much different .

No mention of a Cruise Ship at all just a " 37 year old man visiting San Juan for the festival died of alcohol poisoning "

That coroner works fest it was like watching 48 hours .