How not to clean a cruise ship - NORWEGIAN EPIC!

eroller

Nicely done video and poem. Quite disturbing. But considering the recent massive layoff at NCL HQ, I wouldn't be surprised his letter is still sitting on an empty office desk unopened.

Yeah, this is what I theorized earlier on in this thread. Maybe they fired all the people he sent his emails to.

Edited by shapatack0

How is asking how ANYONE would know that NCL answered every e-mail to this guy that made the video be turned into that a poster doesn't like it when someone disagrees with them? There is no disagreement. More than just me would like to know how anyone can make such a statement.
Sure, I'd like to know about that, too. But the poster I was responding to was not only talking about the posts in this thread.

i am really frustrated at the moment with all the changes made by ncl..but on this occasion i feel like that i should defend ncl..if i had a problem like this on a cruise i would contact the hotel director and i am SURE that they would fix that.that video seemed to me as being done on purpose promoting rcl carnival etc just doing big harm on ncl...i am SURE that ncl guest services would really take real care on sth like that..ive been on a lot of ncl cruises and they are very very strict with cleaning and hygiene

i am really frustrated at the moment with all the changes made by ncl..but on this occasion i feel like that i should defend ncl..if i had a problem like this on a cruise i would contact the hotel director and i am SURE that they would fix that.that video seemed to me as being done on purpose promoting rcl carnival etc just doing big harm on ncl...i am SURE that ncl guest services would really take real care on sth like that..ive been on a lot of ncl cruises and they are very very strict with cleaning and hygiene

Don't be so sure about fixing anything. Our toilet on the Sun did not work for 3 days, fridge was out for the same about of time. We still booked a cruise on the Escape for next January. Oh and the video........that was Great!

Did you listen to the words or just watch the video? He states that he contacted the Hotel Director.

Edited by luvcruzing

Outstanding video -- very creative and well done. Nothing like a good public shaming for a company that was non-responsive to legitimate customer complaints.

It was very well done.:D

I had a complaint with our government run transit system recently and emailed them about it. I almost fell off my chair when they call me back to apologize and offer a resolution. If a government monopoly can do that, a public company, in a competitive industry, better do that and more or they will soon be dealing with another government institution, the courts, with a Chapter 11 filing.

Eeeewwwww.....I don't care if they gave him a free cruise!....that cabin was disgusting and my standards are pretty darn flexible....how a steward could walk away from those obvious things is unbelievable . ...putting passengers like me in an unsafe situation...compromised immune system...the buck stops with the hotel ditector.....and why didn't the last guests complain....on maybe they did and the ones before....that cabin did not get like that overnight...

I think the evidence was clear that the room wasn't in the shape that any cruiser would want.

Sounds like the Hotel Director needs a good case of common sense training. This could have been avoided.

How about switching their room? Doing a complete clean - top to bottom?

Sometimes the staff on ships get too caught up in trying to appease people with things like chocolate covered strawberries.

Just get the job done properly.

Now to be fair... we don't know the full story. Maybe the cruiser was making unreasonable demands. Who knows? Maybe they did respond, but he didn't get the answer he was looking for.

One thing is for sure... the matter could have been handled better. Obviously NCL needs to do a better job of oversight over their rooms.

I have been on cruises in 3 different cruise lines. Each time, I had to ask the room steward to clean something, or change something.

Each time after a respectful request a issue has been resolved.

I have two cruises booked with NCL. I hope this was a lapse, which I suspect it was. Things do happen. I just hope they don't happen to me. HAHA

This rather clever YouTube video/poem was recently posted by a past NORWEGIAN EPIC passenger who sailed in February. He was not happy about the cleanliness of his cabin, wrote NCL, and never heard back. So he took matters into his own hands and created this poem/video. It's pretty well done actually, and I have to admit some of the cabin conditions are unacceptable.

I have to wonder if having the shower/toilet arrangement in the cabin and not in a separate bathroom is creating extra mold issues on EPIC? This is not the first I've read of mold issues on EPIC.

Seems like NCL is getting a LOT of bad publicity as of late. Not a great start for the new management team it would seem.

Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isL8_zyIkwg&spfreload=10

Wowsers-- this is an effective sales tool for all other Cruise lines-- I am reviewing NCL on CC thinking of booking a cruise but now having serious second thoughts-- Mold is very bad JuJu in your cabin--this is one damning video-- and why would NCL ignore the OP's letter?

I think the evidence was clear that the room wasn't in the shape that any cruiser would want.

Sounds like the Hotel Director needs a good case of common sense training. This could have been avoided.

How about switching their room? Doing a complete clean - top to bottom?

Sometimes the staff on ships get too caught up in trying to appease people with things like chocolate covered strawberries.

Just get the job done properly.

Now to be fair... we don't know the full story. Maybe the cruiser was making unreasonable demands. Who knows? Maybe they did respond, but he didn't get the answer he was looking for.

One thing is for sure... the matter could have been handled better. Obviously NCL needs to do a better job of oversight over their rooms.

I have been on cruises in 3 different cruise lines. Each time, I had to ask the room steward to clean something, or change something.

Each time after a respectful request a issue has been resolved.

I have two cruises booked with NCL. I hope this was a lapse, which I suspect it was. Things do happen. I just hope they don't happen to me. HAHA

"....Unreasonable demands?" Your kidding, right? Did you SEE the video? Pretty strong visual evidence I would say -- as my old Grandmother used to say-- "There are none so blind as them that will not see"

Aside from the Vogon-like poetry (some will get the reference, most will not)

Haha! Always enjoy a good Hitchiker's reference. Well done!

Jim

The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal - a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you. Daft as a brush, but very very ravenous!

We just booked our first NCL cruise. PLEASE tell me this is an exception, not the rule.

I've been a little anxious about our booking with all of the negative threads I've seen over the last week. I decided to overlook the fees and make a conscious effort to enjoy our cruise, but this would be an absolute deal breaker for me!!!

We are booked on the Jewel not Epic but if this room was allowed to start looking like this, could it be a problem fleet wide? I'm assuming that if all the rooms were this gross they would be out of business, BUT...you know what happens when you assume.

I'm just looking for a little reassurance. :o

I am right there with you :eek: we are booked by on the Epic in May and I am very nerves

Actually NCL responded to every email form this person.

EyeSeaEwe, you made a statement and I think you should post how you knew this!! If no answer, I would think this is just plain old cow crap on your part. Yes, this is a little terse but NCL needs to please the customers and on this occasion, NCL cannot defend itself on the mold, plain old dirt, and positively unsanitary linen. Thank god, this did not happen to me, don't know how I would respond. I always check the cabin when boarding and so far have had good luck getting the problems fixed before we cast off.

Wowsers-- this is an effective sales tool for all other Cruise lines-- I am reviewing NCL on CC thinking of booking a cruise but now having serious second thoughts-- Mold is very bad JuJu in your cabin--this is one damning video-- and why would NCL ignore the OP's letter?

While this is pretty ugly don't judge a whole cruise line by this one very unfortunate incident. It happens on every line as others have said.

I was on the Epic three times and I was very impressed by the cleanliness of my cabin and the entire ship. Being a retired Navy CPO I have very high standards.

This rather clever YouTube video/poem was recently posted by a past NORWEGIAN EPIC passenger who sailed in February. He was not happy about the cleanliness of his cabin, wrote NCL, and never heard back. So he took matters into his own hands and created this poem/video. It's pretty well done actually, and I have to admit some of the cabin conditions are unacceptable.

I have to wonder if having the shower/toilet arrangement in the cabin and not in a separate bathroom is creating extra mold issues on EPIC? This is not the first I've read of mold issues on EPIC.

Seems like NCL is getting a LOT of bad publicity as of late. Not a great start for the new management team it would seem.

Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isL8_zyIkwg&spfreload=10

It was a clever video and he is great at poetry but I am a little surprised he didn't get moved to a different cabin. I have never been on an NCL ship that looked like that. When he talks about hair in the dresser drawer, my husbands comment was: what dresser? Normally cruise ships do not have dressers. They have all knds of storage, but not actually dressers. I guess the Epic is a little different.

We have sailed a few times when the cabin, especially the balcony could be a little cleaner, but never had mold anywhere. I think it is interesting he mentioned what line he will keep cruising.

As for not hearing back from NCl, this is a very weak spot as far as we are concerned about NCL. They are not good at follow through after the fact. We have had a couple of bad experiences with this. NO, not a dirty cabin, but with no response after we return.

I am happy he enjoyed the rest of his cruise.

We just booked our first NCL cruise. PLEASE tell me this is an exception, not the rule.

I've been a little anxious about our booking with all of the negative threads I've seen over the last week. I decided to overlook the fees and make a conscious effort to enjoy our cruise, but this would be an absolute deal breaker for me!!!

We are booked on the Jewel not Epic but if this room was allowed to start looking like this, could it be a problem fleet wide? I'm assuming that if all the rooms were this gross they would be out of business, BUT...you know what happens when you assume.

I'm just looking for a little reassurance. :o

All you have to do is check CDC reports on cleanliness. Normally NCL ships come out smelling like roses. This had to be the exception...

As for not hearing back from NCl, this is a very weak spot as far as we are concerned about NCL. They are not good at follow through after the fact. We have had a couple of bad experiences with this. NO, not a dirty cabin, but with no response after we return.
He claims that NCL never got back to him. NCL claims that they did. So that part of the story is he said, they said. And NCL is at a disadvantage there because they can't go around disclosing details of their correspondence with individual customers. I am not defending NCL here, since I don't know who's telling the truth. But there are two sides to that part of the story.