Expired Future Cruise Certificate

cdamion

A few years ago on board a Princess ship I purchased I future cruise certificate. I had forgotten about it until after it expired as Princess was not doing any itineraries I wanted. I just figured I lost the money I paid, so no harm no foul for my stupid.

Well, out of the blue today I received a check from Princess for the $100 I paid. That was nice of them, I do not believe that Royal or Carnival would have done the same thing for me. I think theirs just expire.

Just makes me appreciate Princess more (I just wish that a good itinerary would line up for me so I could get back on board).

I too received a check for expired Princess FCC. I also had some Carnival FCC's that expired and was told by a Carnival agent I could extend them for six months and still get my money back if I did not use them. That was not the case. carnival did not want to refund my money because they had expired. After many emails to an agent that I had worked before, I was told Thad I could use them to lower my payment for a cruise I had already booked and used a FCC for that one already. Carnival did not want to give any OBC with it. I took the reduced payment . I feel that Carnival should have carried through on the extension or let me have a refund. I had to waste endless phone calls and emails before I was able to get someone to make me happy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next step is getting Princess to automatically send an email indicating the FCD's that are about to expire in the next few months giving the opportunity to renew or not and a way to confirm that you still have the CC they were bought with and/or confirm your mailing address.

I am convinced that the reduction from 4 to 2 years was to eliminate much of the problems they have trying to refund to expired cards and/or to invalid addresses. If an email were sent many of the problems doing the refund might be eliminated as well as extending many that otherwise get refunded.

Terry

We were told right when we purchased our Future Cruise Credits onboard that we would be refunded the $100 if we didn't use them within 4 years.

Then you bought them somewhere between 3 and 4 years ago assuming that they have not yet expired. They changed them to 2 year expiry but any of the older 4 year FCD's maintained their original expiration date and their value which for some cruise duration and/or cabin type they pay a higher FCC (onboard credit). I have one old one left that I had hoped to book just the right cruise with it.

Terry

A few years ago on board a Princess ship I purchased I future cruise certificate. I had forgotten about it until after it expired as Princess was not doing any itineraries I wanted. I just figured I lost the money I paid, so no harm no foul for my stupid.

Well, out of the blue today I received a check from Princess for the $100 I paid. That was nice of them, I do not believe that Royal or Carnival would have done the same thing for me. I think theirs just expire.

Just makes me appreciate Princess more (I just wish that a good itinerary would line up for me so I could get back on board).

Yes you can't beat fully refundable. :D

Then you bought them somewhere between 3 and 4 years ago assuming that they have not yet expired. They changed them to 2 year expiry but any of the older 4 year FCD's maintained their original expiration date and their value which for some cruise duration and/or cabin type they pay a higher FCC (onboard credit). I have one old one left that I had hoped to book just the right cruise with it.

Terry

In February of 2012 they changed the 4 year FCDs to have the lower OBCs for most categories. In September of that year they changed the duration from 4 years to 3 years with no further reduction in OBC amounts.

Rather than wait for a refund, we just booked a cruise and used 4 old FCC's each as they were due to expire in a couple of months. However we only get the obc for one each. Just brings down the balance of what we owe. Will have to pick up a couple of new ones on our next cruise.

I love the FCC. I use them no matter the length of the cruise as I like the reduced deposit and, even if the OBC is small for a short cruise, it's still free money and can go toward the gratuities. I don't see why I would ever turn down free money even if it was just $15 pp. We will always use FCC when booking and will always make sure we buy more when onboard.

My understanding is that HAL and Princess both refund automatically.

I can tell you from experience that Carnival does not, nor do they want to honor them in any way after the expiration date. After many phone calls I finally was able to get them to allow us to use our expired Carnival FCCs for the deposit on a cruise, without OBC. I was fine with the ultimate solution, but it wasn't easy getting there!

My understanding is that HAL and Princess both refund automatically.

RCI limits how many you can purchase on each voyage (4 I think) and they never expire and can never be refunded. However, they do allow you to transfer them to another person.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone received a refund for FCC's that haven't expired yet? We have two FCC's with March 2016 expiration dates and just received $100 refund checks today. We were looking at using them and were surprised to get a refund about 10 months prior to expiration.

I assume I need to try and get Princess to reinstate them? Any suggestions?

Has anyone received a refund for FCC's that haven't expired yet? We have two FCC's with March 2016 expiration dates and just received $100 refund checks today. We were looking at using them and were surprised to get a refund about 10 months prior to expiration.

I assume I need to try and get Princess to reinstate them? Any suggestions?

That shouldn't have happened. Call them and they can look 'em up and see when they were supposed to expire. Maybe you had some that you forgot about?

On the other hand, the RCI FCC's never expire. And their computer system is so quirky (I'm being charitable) that, if one books and then cancels a cruise using one, then the deposit is almost always refunded - I say "almost" because ours always have been, but I'm sure somebody out there has paid a penalty at some time.;)

The real advantages (for me) of the Princess FCC are (1) that it can be combined with military & shareholder OBC, which isn't the case on RCI or X and (2) you get the same amount using an FCC that you do if you actually book a cruise while onboard - RCI at least have reduced the credit to the point of being nearly worthless.

Well, out of the blue today I received a check from Princess for the $100 I paid.

My wife and I had purchased a future cruise credit the first time we had sailed with princess (5 years ago) and had forgotten about it also. I seemed to remember that they told us that if it wasn't used it would be refunded to us and, sure enough, 2 years ago we got our deposit back! Another reason I like Princess.

Tom

I love the FCC. I use them no matter the length of the cruise as I like the reduced deposit and, even if the OBC is small for a short cruise, it's still free money and can go toward the gratuities. I don't see why I would ever turn down free money even if it was just $15 pp. We will always use FCC when booking and will always make sure we buy more when onboard.

I think that California and New Hampshire state LAW says that the never run out of time. So if you are from one of these states I would check with Princess and tell them that state law trumps what is said by the cruise company.