New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

Ok I see what you mean. Bottom line then: I don't agree with the majority of changes and cutbacks they are making and may or may not cruise Carnival in the future. Is that better? Like is said--I'm not to argue with you so can we bury the hatchet now? Not in each other's skulls, BTW....

Let's go on a cruise together.

Let's go on a cruise together.

Lol. Hey--you know what--a cruise is still better than being at work. Even if it's not perfect, of course, what is perfect? Just make the best of whatever situation.

Perhaps someone made uncomfortable by my ordering a steak should choose Your Time dining so they can sit by themselves.

Well, let's look at it. Or, their feeling is that if you can't order off the MDR seated regular menu, YOU should be in Your Time dining. I think it easily cuts both ways. For example, if you want a Steakhouse level quality steak on any random night and are willing to pay extra for it than go to the Steakhouse.

Edited by eponym

Pies in Australia are traditionally savoury (we do have dessert pies as well, but when someone says "pie", they usually mean a meat pie). This would more than likely be the equivalent of a "beef and Guinness pie" but they just wouldn't wanna pay to use the name Guinness. If you google it, you'll see what I mean. :)

So its like a pot pie

Sounds good Thanks

BACK to the RS

As long as the old things are free they can add all the new things they want

or basically

If I can have my coffee with either bagel and lox or pastry for free Im good

Edited by jonbgd

I just had to google pot pie. But yes, I guess that would be a good comparison. The beer would be part of the dark gravy inside. :)

Sounds good to me. What type of meat would typically be used in AU? Beef, lamb, other? Just curious

I just had to google pot pie. But yes, I guess that would be a good comparison. The beer would be part of the dark gravy inside. :)

MMMMMMMMM

Beer makes things better:D

I think that is interesting. As Main Dining Room is a shared table experience with strangers, the fact that upper echelon food items are now available for up charge only MAY lead to exactly the opposite of what you are saying. Clearly sitting at a table with strangers for a week but not being able to afford up charged meals while they do will be uncomfortable. See the point?

Are you suggesting that someone should not order off the up charge menu because someone else at the table might feel uncomfortable?

Well, let's look at it. Or, their feeling is that if you can't order off the MDR seated regular menu, YOU should be in Your Time dining. I think it easily cuts both ways. For example, if you want a Steakhouse level quality steak on any random night and are willing to pay extra for it than go to the Steakhouse.

Does this sincerely make you uncomfortable? If I sit at your table and order a steak you are embarrassed/disgusted?

Are you suggesting that someone should not order off the up charge menu because someone else at the table might feel uncomfortable?

LOL yes that's what's he's saying. I think the majority of diners do not have Plate Envy at the dinner table..lol

LOL yes that's what's he's saying. I think the majority of diners do not have Plate Envy at the dinner table..lol

I was just wondering if, when at home and going out to eat with family or friends, he waits until everyone else orders before ordering so he doesn't make them feel uncomfortable and makes sure not to order anything more expensive than them?

Plate Envy...cracked me up!

I'd love to be at a table full of vegans. Then I could order a double cheese burger with bacon and chili. :cool:

By all means order what you desire but ordering food to spite others is a table partner most would not be happy with regardless of what they eat.

I never get food envy in the MDR although in an ideal world I would love to taste everything. If someone ordered Lobster I would think it looks great but would rather buy two drinks with my $20 but each to their own.

Pies in Australia are traditionally savoury (we do have dessert pies as well, but when someone says "pie", they usually mean a meat pie). This would more than likely be the equivalent of a "beef and Guinness pie" but they just wouldn't wanna pay to use the name Guinness. If you google it, you'll see what I mean. :)

Just saw Anthony Bordain eating some curry meat ones with mashed potatoes and mashed peas and then the created a little hole on top for gravy...:).

I like beef and chicken pot pies...little cheap frozen ones we have here probably from childhood thing..rarely have them.....these are "steakhouse pot pies " lol..thanks from another poster...Sarah

I never get food envy in the MDR although in an ideal world I would love to taste everything. If someone ordered Lobster I would think it looks great but would rather buy two drinks with my $20 but each to their own.

LOL..yes...so many good choices even on new menus...we will not starve.

I do not think being able to order the better items is that much of a deal...new people have the whole new to them menu and a couple of options...everyone orders seconds or another choice from main menu if wanted..and all or most all who cruise spend a few extra dollars on something...if it was a whole other menu then yeas but a couple of items when they still have cruise elegant and better beef and a lobster choice is not big deal to me..not separate ship class situations like some have. And I feel the way they do it, ship within ship suite areas with extras...fine on those ships too. There are a huge variety of things to do that all do at a far better price than land...ie entertainment on those ships...and lots of nice cabin sizes and there is always..."rank" in cabin choice..ANYWAY...we are all used to paying more for more whatever and all having good cruise deals. We have to stop splitting hairs after change shock....IMHO..save it for the big bad changes..LOL.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I am getting a chuckle out of this "plate envy" thing:)

I am visualizing a cartoon of a table of cruise passengers with their eyeballs bulging at the sight of what the person next to them or across has ordered. LOL.

I could care less what the person next to or across from orders and eats, or if they pay extra for it. I, for instance dont like escargot or lamb, but would never get upset or queasy if somebody at my table ordered it, nor would it bother me if they ordered a 20.00 meal from the steakhouse.

If I had such issues, I would just be certain to confirm YTD. and put some blinders on, since tables are close

BtB, I have no problem with the new room service menu, even though they took away my fave Chicken fajita sandwich. Still enough free, or price incl stuff on there to please me, and might or might not go for a pay for option, same as I sometimes get a piece of that delicious carrot cake from the coffee shop. sometimes I do, sometimes not, and depends on what I want and when, and if I feel like paying extra for it. Same as how many dod's I choose to drink per day.

It is about options, and options are good in my world. Just my opinion, and all are welcome to their own of course.

Still chuckling about the "plate envy". New expression for me.:D

Edited by SMSACE6

It is not my prerogative to assuage every silly class envy concern someone on board a ship has. If you are so insecure that my food order will make you uncomfortable what are you going to do when I start talking about the awesome couples massage we had that afternoon, or the cabana we've reserved in Half Moon Cay.

If I come to dinner on Elegant night in a Ralph Lauren suit and you're wearing TJ Maxx, is that something I should worry about? If I buy an expensive watch on the ship and you're there browsing, should I hide my transaction so you don't get jealous?

The absurdity of this argument is that it's the ultimate slippery slope. I can afford something, I want to buy it, other people are made uncomfortable by this because they can't afford it. Kind of defeats the purpose of going on a cruise if we're all going to stand separate corners and judge each other and feel class envy. I may have saved up my money for quite some time (and by the way, I'm not rich: it usually takes me a year to save up for my vacation) and may want to just indulge for one week on silly things. I could get a massage much cheaper on land than on the ship, but having one on the cruise makes it a little more special. I am willing to pay upcharges to make things more than just an assembly line vacation experience.

By all means order what you desire but ordering food to spite others is a table partner most would not be happy with regardless of what they eat.

That's the difference between stateside humor and over the pond humor. Many times the Brilliance is not seen.

That's the difference between stateside humor and over the pond humor. Many times the Brilliance is not seen.

I think its just a case of it not being there at all because no-one laughed.

Not really sure why you brought in the UK/US thing there but thats for somewhere else.

Edited by Velvetwater

Some ships don't Have steakhouses, which is why those offerings on the MDR menu are so special.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Some ships don't Have steakhouses, which is why those offerings on the MDR menu are so special.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

How many Carnival ships still don't have a premium eatery of any kind? I really don't know the answer. It doesn't have to be a steakhouse.

Edited by eponym