New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

Well I've read the lies, and I'm not buying that they just added fee times. I see a LOT of standards have been removed.

Not buying this one. When you ask us collectively if we'd like some hot items like they have on other lines, I guess some of us were too stimulus to think they would start charging g is for food that was already included in our fare. None of this stuff is "fine dining" or "food of quality" that needs a charge.

The wool has been pulled further down over the heads.

[quote name='A2Mich']Not surprising considering that cruise ships in the 70's and 80's did not have balcony cabins, with the possible exception of suites. There were plenty of scenes on the Love Boat with portholes in the cabins, but have never seen cabins as large as on LB.[/quote]
In reality most were pretty small my grandparents were on one of them...they were Island and/or Fair Princess in show.. both identical....in a very narrow cabin with fold out couch to bed...but had time of their lives...sigh..paternal grandparents...they had some lovely land trips and a couple of cruises in retirement..lots of great time before the long ending years with more issues. Edited by sjn911

[quote name='a2mich']i do have to say that i have enjoyed some of the replies here - especially the ones along the lines of "well i don't mind the changes......as long as they don't affect me." well, duh? But they do in fact affect someone.

No matter how we choose to look at it, cruise fares are going back up - not to the same levels they were at in the 80's, but they are slowly going up either way. While i understand that cruise lines need to cut costs here and there to stay competitive and viable, i do think that the cruise lines are trying to see just how much they can get away with as far as cutbacks, cost cutting, additional charges, etc., until their number of bookings or profit margins begin to decrease. Why else would they be testing a pilot program for extra charge items? To see if people will pay the money. And inevitably, people will. Businesses will charge for everything they can because people will pay it. Why does disney charge over $100 per person for a one day park admission (while still paying the majority of their workers $9-$10 an hour) and paying their pos greedy board members millions per year? Because people continue to pay it on a daily basis. It seems in my opinion, that many people seem to have lost the value of their money. When a typical one day trip to a theme park for a family of 4 costs in excess of $500, am i the only one here who thinks that is ridiculous? Well the cruise lines are no different. Years ago, there were no alternative dining options on cruise ships. All dining options were included (mdr, lido buffet, and room service) for no additional charge. Years later, some brilliant bean counter thought it would be a good idea to find another way to earn more revenue, so we came up with alternative dining options to make more money. So that became a standard aboard nearly all ships, and people expected it and gladly paid the additional costs. Drink packages - as if the cruise lines weren't already making a killing on drink sales, the cruise lines decided to come out with drink packages so they can charge, quite frankly, a lot of money for drinks made with duty-free below wholesale bulk priced alcohol. So now we have people gladly forking over several hundred dollars per week so they can drink as much as they want (which incidentally led to the new game of "how many drinks do i need to drink to come out ahead). And, we as cruisers now expect this and are willing to pay top dollar for it. Or specialty dining packages where you can book multiple reservations in specialty dining for a discount. And in addition, we have the usual justification of "well, i can't eat at a steakhouse at home for $35 per person." well, guess what? You're not. Your base cruise fare already includes x number of dollars per meal figured in. So, the $35 steakhouse dinner, is really $35 plus whatever amount the cruise line already budgeted per meal. Even if only $5 per meal for food costs (as i've heard it's a rather small amount), i can certainly go to a typical chain steakhouse for less than $40 per person, and often do. While it may not be ruth chris' or sam seltzer quality, neither is the food you're getting onboard.

At the end of it all, we are doing exactly what the cruise line wants us to - spending more money onboard. All the while, they have been finding ways to cut costs - charging extra for things that used to be included, eliminating soap, eliminating pillow chocolates, removing table linens in the dining room. While the individual cuts and savings don't have a huge monetary value on an individual basis, the overall savings of a few dollars per passenger, can easily translate into millions of dollars saved per year, which also translates into millions more added to the bottom line. We as passengers likely don't think about a few dollars here and there, and that's exactly what the cruise line wants. We won't miss a few dollars per person, but that few dollars per person multiplied by a few million passengers per year, can change hands very quickly from the consumer's hand to the cruise line's hand - and now the cruise line has made a few extra million dollars per year. But it's only a few dollars.......;)[/quote]

standing up and applauding !!!! Exactly what i have been saying!!!!!!

:d

The bottom line in all of this....

Are you getting your money's worth when you cruise? Of course it is hard to swallow that the economics of cruising have changed. But, like all things we spend our money on....we still have a choice.

My vacation dollars are mine to use as I choose. It's my choice to select what I consider the best value for my hard earned buck. If the product that is available doesn't match my expectations I'll choose something else or, heaven forbid, do without.

I can rant and rave about "WHAT" I deem fair...but the reality is that nothing stays static, everything changes. I used to watch TV for free...not now. I used to buy gas for 25 cents a gallon and got my oil checked and my windows washed, not now. People used to bag my groceries and carry them to my car, there was individual attention at retail stores, theme parks were $10 per day, I could go to a concert without blowing my budget (my last ticket was over $300), I could fly across the US for a $50 stand-by ticket and get a meal.

Again...if you cruise today your onboard experience is what it is...all the ranting and complaining isn't going to change it. So I have a choice as a consumer...to book a cruise or not, that's the bottom line.

[quote name='A2Mich']I do have to say that I have enjoyed some of the replies here - especially the ones along the lines of "well I don't mind the changes......as long as they don't affect me." Well, duh? But they do in fact affect SOMEONE.

No matter how we choose to look at it, cruise fares are going back up - not to the same levels they were at in the 80's, but they are slowly going up either way. While I understand that cruise lines need to cut costs here and there to stay competitive and viable, I do think that the cruise lines are trying to see just how much they can get away with as far as cutbacks, cost cutting, additional charges, etc., until their number of bookings or profit margins begin to decrease. Why else would they be testing a pilot program for extra charge items? To see if people will pay the money. And inevitably, people will. Businesses will charge for everything they can because PEOPLE WILL PAY IT. Why does Disney charge over $100 per person for a one day park admission (while still paying the majority of their workers $9-$10 an hour) and paying their POS greedy board members millions per year? Because people continue to pay it on a daily basis. It seems in my opinion, that many people seem to have lost the value of their money. When a typical one day trip to a theme park for a family of 4 costs in excess of $500, am I the only one here who thinks that is ridiculous? Well the cruise lines are no different. Years ago, there were no alternative dining options on cruise ships. All dining options were included (MDR, lido buffet, and room service) for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. Years later, some brilliant bean counter thought it would be a good idea to find another way to earn more revenue, so we came up with alternative dining options to make more money. So that became a standard aboard nearly all ships, and people expected it and gladly paid the additional costs. Drink packages - as if the cruise lines weren't already making a killing on drink sales, the cruise lines decided to come out with drink packages so they can charge, quite frankly, a lot of money for drinks made with duty-free below wholesale bulk priced alcohol. So now we have people gladly forking over several hundred dollars per week so they can drink as much as they want (which incidentally led to the new game of "How many drinks do I need to drink to come out ahead). And, we as cruisers now expect this and are willing to pay top dollar for it. Or specialty dining packages where you can book multiple reservations in specialty dining for a discount. And in addition, we have the usual justification of "well, I can't eat at a steakhouse at home for $35 per person." Well, guess what? You're not. Your base cruise fare already includes X number of dollars per meal figured in. So, the $35 steakhouse dinner, is really $35 PLUS whatever amount the cruise line already budgeted per meal. Even if only $5 per meal for food costs (as I've heard it's a rather small amount), I can certainly go to a typical chain steakhouse for less than $40 per person, and often do. While it may not be Ruth Chris' or Sam Seltzer quality, neither is the food you're getting onboard.

At the end of it all, we are doing exactly what the cruise line wants us to - spending more money onboard. All the while, they have been finding ways to cut costs - charging extra for things that used to be included, eliminating soap, eliminating pillow chocolates, removing table linens in the dining room. While the individual cuts and savings don't have a huge monetary value on an individual basis, the overall savings of a few dollars per passenger, can easily translate into millions of dollars saved per year, which also translates into millions more added to the bottom line. We as passengers likely don't think about a few dollars here and there, and that's exactly what the cruise line wants. We won't miss a few dollars per person, but that few dollars per person multiplied by a few million passengers per year, can change hands very quickly from the consumer's hand to the cruise line's hand - and now the cruise line has made a few extra million dollars per year. But it's only a few dollars.......;)[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand your point.

Yes, Carnival is a business and we are consumers.

I don't see how your little Econ 101 diatribe adds anything to the mix.

Personally, I look at what a business offers and decide whether or not I am getting the value I desire from it.

So far, even with the most recent room service changes, (which will actually affect me very little), I find value in what Carnival offers.

The soap they provide me is fine, I never ate the chocolates, I honestly can't remember if there was a table cloth on my MDR table a single night of my January cruise.

Some people find the things I just mentioned very important. If this is you it might be time to start looking for a new cruise experience. Edited by Bob NC

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']The bottom line in all of this....

Are you getting your money's worth when you cruise? Of course it is hard to swallow that the economics of cruising have changed. But, like all things we spend our money on....we still have a choice.

My vacation dollars are mine to use as I choose. It's my choice to select what I consider the best value for my hard earned buck. If the product that is available doesn't match my expectations I'll choose something else or, heaven forbid, do without.

I can rant and rave about "WHAT" I deem fair...but the reality is that nothing stays static, everything changes. I used to watch TV for free...not now. I used to buy gas for 25 cents a gallon and got my oil checked and my windows washed, not now. People used to bag my groceries and carry them to my car, there was individual attention at retail stores, theme parks were $10 per day, I could go to a concert without blowing my budget (my last ticket was over $300), I could fly across the US for a $50 stand-by ticket and get a meal.

Again...if you cruise today your onboard experience is what it is...all the ranting and complaining isn't going to change it. So I have a choice as a consumer...to book a cruise or not, that's the bottom line.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Look all of us complain about something or the other. Some things I don't mind. Others I do. It's perfectly o.k. to have a difference of opinion. But understand that things DO change. That's #1. #2, there's no need to be insulting and rude, which many of these posts have been. You ought to be able to have a discussion around here without that crap. We are discussing vacstion. Something alot of people never get a chance to do. Edited by cruizinisthebest

[quote name='perditax']Thanks. Maybe I picked the wrong time of year/news cycle to start investigating cruises and lurking on CC. Does this happen every spring? Is it always pay more/get less each year, or does awesome stuff get added to counterbalance it?

(I'm not trying to troll or whatever, but to an outsider skimming all the lines' boards it looks like I missed the golden age of cruising or something. :) Lots of outrage on RCCL and NCL right now especially.)[/QUOTE]

Changes happen all the time with the cruise industry, so no you didn't pick the wrong tme. But keep in mind there are some on CC who, if Carnival anouced today that they were going forward going tobe using 13.9 oz water glasses instead of 14 oz water glasses, would complain that Carnival is "cutting Back" on water.

[quote name='CdrescherRBL152']Changes happen all the time with the cruise industry, so no you didn't pick the wrong tme. But keep in mind there are some on CC who, if Carnival anouced today that they were going forward going tobe using 13.9 oz water glasses instead of 14 oz water glasses, would complain that Carnival is "cutting Back" on water.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I was out of the loop... did John mention something on FB about water rationing ?? :eek:

:D

Tom

Economics 101.

You get what you pay for. If it's not worth it to you fine. Simply don't purchase. Problem solved. This goes for fee items from room service to the steakhouse to that extra drink at the bar. Whatever. Chill.

Here's the one thing that does bother me. I get upset when people try to rig the system because they think the rules shouldn't apply to them. An example would be the guy that tries to bring his 'sea chest' sized suitcase (or 3) onto the plane as a carry on. He's the same as that guy who sees 25 cars in the left turn lane but decides to 'cheat up' 20 and cut in. Yeah, that guy. Don't ever be that guy.

The most annoying thing, which is what is also happening on NCL, is new CEO's feel like they need to impress someone and make sweeping changes to try to out-do the previous CEO. These changes tend to upset not only the consumers but usually also the workers. IT happens in every industry. After they realize it not only upsets the harmony, but also affects their bottom line, due to turnover-customers leaving..etc, they tend to come down a bit and start listening to the workers and consumers again. It's the same cycle.

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Perhaps I was out of the loop... did John mention something on FB about water rationing ?? :eek:

:D

Tom[/QUOTE]

Knowing John's sense of humor, he wouldn't do that....

...but he would mention toilet paper rationing.:cool:

I am VERY disappointed in the change. They took out many of the items that we liked, which will stop us from ordering room service. We tip well for RS, so our servers are going to miss out on that one. I am also disappointed in the change the name of the item, make it appear new so we can charge for it. They should have kept all of the old items, and added new, not remove and replace.

[quote name='A2Mich']I do have to say that I have enjoyed some of the replies here - especially the ones along the lines of "well I don't mind the changes......as long as they don't affect me." Well, duh? But they do in fact affect SOMEONE. )[/QUOTE]

Yes, they may affect someone. But not everyone and some people may like the changes, even if they are "cut backs". Carnival is a business. They make changes to their product and services. Customers decide if they want to continue using those products and services. It's that simple.

If people look at the changes Carnival is making to things, and decide that another cruise line is better for them, that's the marketplace.

I understand that changes are going to disappoint people and message boards allow for the expression of that disappointment. What is interesting to me is that people seem surprised that a business is changing things.

[quote name='Bob NC']I really don't understand your point.

Yes, Carnival is a business and we are consumers.

I don't see how your little Econ 101 diatribe adds anything to the mix.

Personally, I look at what a business offers and decide whether or not I am getting the value I desire from it.

So far, even with the most recent room service changes, (which will actually affect me very little), I find value in what Carnival offers.

The soap they provide me is fine, I never ate the chocolates, I honestly can't remember if there was a table cloth on my MDR table a single night of my January cruise.

Some people find the things I just mentioned very important. If this is you it might be time to start looking for a new cruise experience.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to elaborate and start the same debate all over again. I've had the same discussion before on the Carnival boards and at the RCI boards. On the RCI boards people understood my point, and combined with recent price increases and continued cost savings measures, they understood what I meant. Anytime this same issue comes up on Carnival, people "just don't get it." So, I'm not going there. The general consensus on the Carnival boards is always the same---"don't buy it, use another cruise line, or who cares, it's only money." As said by another poster--the wool has been pulled down further. Guess it depends on who wants to be the sheep and who wants to be the wolf.

[quote name='jsglow']Economics 101.

You get what you pay for. If it's not worth it to you fine. Simply don't purchase. Problem solved. This goes for fee items from room service to the steakhouse to that extra drink at the bar. Whatever. Chill.

Here's the one thing that does bother me. I get upset when people try to rig the system because they think the rules shouldn't apply to them. An example would be the guy that tries to bring his 'sea chest' sized suitcase (or 3) onto the plane as a carry on. He's the same as that guy who sees 25 cars in the left turn lane but decides to 'cheat up' 20 and cut in. Yeah, that guy. Don't ever be[B][COLOR=Red] that guy[/COLOR][/B].[/quote]

Hey, I think I saw that guy's towel and flip-flop by the pool last week. He really gets around. :D

[quote name='A2Mich']I am not going to elaborate and start the same debate all over again. I've had the same discussion before on the Carnival boards and at the RCI boards. On the RCI boards people understood my point, and combined with recent price increases and continued cost savings measures, they understood what I meant. Anytime this same issue comes up on Carnival, people "just don't get it." So, I'm not going there. The general consensus on the Carnival boards is always the same---"don't buy it, use another cruise line, or who cares, it's only money." As said by another poster--the wool has been pulled down further. Guess it depends on who wants to be the sheep and who wants to be the wolf.[/QUOTE]

I guess we are all two stupid on Carnival to understand basic economics according to you. Btw, things change. I never got room service before because they didn't have what i liked. Now they have 4 or 5 items i will buy, adding maybe 20 to 30 bucks to my bill for the whole cruise. No big Deal.

[quote name='Hoosierpop']Yes, they may affect someone. But not everyone and some people may like the changes, even if they are "cut backs". Carnival is a business. They make changes to their product and services. Customers decide if they want to continue using those products and services. It's that simple.

If people look at the changes Carnival is making to things, and decide that another cruise line is better for them, that's the marketplace.

I understand that changes are going to disappoint people and message boards allow for the expression of that disappointment. What is interesting to me is that people seem surprised that a business is changing things.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that people here think I'm disappointed by the cutbacks and changes here and there?. I never said I was disappointed with the changes. What does disappoint me is how easily many people roll over to simply have their money taken away from them. Of course the cruise line is out to make money. I know that just as well as anyone else. The cruise lines, like a company like Disney, will push and push and push until they find consumers' breaking points. The sad part is how easily many people just freely give away all of their hard earned money, knowing they are being taken advantage of, yet can STILL turn around and defend the co one doing it. If you were robbed at gunpoint would you go to court and defend the defendant? I already know the arguments coming to that comparison so everyone can not waste their time by saying that "well, you chose to sail on Carnival, it's up to you to decide if the price is worth it, you didn't willingly go meet the mugger, etc". I get all of that. What I don't get is why so many people willingly and blindly defend corporate Americas actions. Must be some great Kool Aid

[quote name='A2Mich']Why is it that people here think I'm disappointed by the cutbacks and changes here and there?. I never said I was disappointed with the changes. What does disappoint me is how easily many people roll over to simply have their money taken away from them. Of course the cruise line is out to make money. I know that just as well as anyone else. The cruise lines, like a company like Disney, will push and push and push until they find consumers' breaking points. The sad part is how easily many people just freely give away all of their hard earned money, knowing they are being taken advantage of, yet can STILL turn around and defend the co one doing it. If you were robbed at gunpoint would you go to court and defend the defendant? I already know the arguments coming to that comparison so everyone can not waste their time by saying that "well, you chose to sail on Carnival, it's up to you to decide if the price is worth it, you didn't willingly go meet the mugger, etc". I get all of that. What I don't get is why so many people willingly and blindly defend corporate Americas actions. Must be some great Kool Aid[/QUOTE]

Since you quoted me, I'll keep trying.

1) I never said you were disappointed in anything.
2) I don't view going on a cruise, any cruise, as giving away my money. I'm paying for a vacation. It's up to me to decide if a cruise is worth my money. There are a lot of ways I can spend my vacation. If I ever decide Carnival is not worth my money, I'll choose elsewhere.
3) As for why people continue to go on Carnival after "cut backs", it's because they still see the value for their money. It's that's simple. If people find the cut backs too much, they can go on a different line.

Question for you: even if it's true people are blindly giving their money to a greedy corporation, why do you care? It's not your money.

[quote name='Hoosierpop']Since you quoted me, I'll keep trying.

1) I never said you were disappointed in anything.
2) I don't view going on a cruise, any cruise, as giving away my money. I'm paying for a vacation. It's up to me to decide if a cruise is worth my money. There are a lot of ways I can spend my vacation. If I ever decide Carnival is not worth my money, I'll choose elsewhere.
3) As for why people continue to go on Carnival after "cut backs", it's because they still see the value for their money. It's that's simple. If people find the cut backs too much, they can go on a different line.

Question for you: even if it's true people are blindly giving their money to a greedy corporation, why do you care? It's not your money.[/QUOTE]

Great response except for a few things. Hard to go elsewhere when cutbacks have become the industry standard and norm. Sort of rules out similar options as far as cruising. Would likely have to switch to another type of vacation.

As far as blindly giving money away, I don't care if it's their money. BUT, when other people's habits have caused it to become MY money--that's when I get upset. When I now have to pay extra for something that never used to be extra, that does bother me. And why are we having to pay extr for formerly included things? Because consumers are WILLING to do so. Yourself included by your own admission are willing to pay extra for various things now that used to be no-extra-charge. Honestly, if the cruise lines are having to make cutbacks to maintain their margins, I would actually prefer that they simply raise the base price a bit, instead of nickel and dining people for everything they can. I have never liked that feeling one bit. If you need to make an extra $100 from me, raise my fare $100 and get your hands out of wallet every time I turn around.

As for things like specialty restaurants, of course I don't have to go there and spend my money. You've been cruising long enough to remember the days when there was no such thing as a specialty restaurant. You went to the dining room or buffet if you were hungry. I have no problem with the cruise line adding an extra fee option. Where the problem comes in, is when they remove a formerly included item and only make it available in the extra cost option. So now I have to pay their ransom to get the SAME item. That's when I get upset. If they want to offer an extra cost option for something special that was not previously available, that's one thing, but not make it the only way to get something that was readily available before. Is the cruiselines' cutbacks on overall food quality OK with everyone? Or they could all do what many people claim NCL does---cut back on dining room food quality so much that it pushes people to the extra cost venues to get a decent meal. Is that ok too? I mean--it is corporate America, so it must be the right thing to do. Corporate America wouldn't ever take advantage of the unsuspecting consumer, would they? Of course they would and do as much as they can.

[quote name='lido deck larry']I would pay the upcharge on room service items only if they bring a tablecloth. I just can't eat cruise food without a tablecloth.[/QUOTE]

And a chocolate.

Well. At least my BLT and cheese cake survived the cut. I dont really see a big deal with this. If Carnival is going to charge for some items and keep other items free then they are at least giving you the choice not to spend extra money. And if by doing this it enables them to keep the lowest prices in the industry so be it. There is no doubt that I personally consider late night free room service an important perk in cruising. But now I have the choice to add some french fries to my BLT. To me that is worth a buck and change.

[quote name='lido deck larry']I would pay the upcharge on room service items only if they bring a tablecloth. I just can't eat cruise food without a tablecloth.[/QUOTE]

Celebrity suite breakfast is what you're looking for... albeit without any additional charge! :D

[IMG]http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/CRUISES/Celebrity-Eclipse-January-28th/i-vG2NZM2/0/L/IMG_0753-L.jpg[/IMG]

Later that day -- room service WINGS ! They were free as well... the beers, not so much ! ;)

[IMG]http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/CRUISES/Celebrity-Eclipse-January-28th/i-9xFZqcQ/0/L/IMG_0754-L.jpg[/IMG]

Tom

[quote name='A2Mich']I am not going to elaborate and start the same debate all over again. I've had the same discussion before on the Carnival boards and at the RCI boards. On the RCI boards people understood my point, and combined with recent price increases and continued cost savings measures, they understood what I meant. Anytime this same issue comes up on Carnival, people "just don't get it." So, I'm not going there. The general consensus on the Carnival boards is always the same---"don't buy it, use another cruise line, or who cares, it's only money." As said by another poster--the wool has been pulled down further. Guess it depends on who wants to be the sheep and who wants to be the wolf.[/QUOTE]

This is a prime example of the kind of insulting posts I'm talking about. You might want to refrain from sweeping labeling of everyone in this or any other thread. I, for one, didn't disagree with your post. Just thought it was a tad longwinded in explaining a basic economic concept that most people do understand. I don't even think the person that quoted you initially disagreed with you. It's just a matter some are bothered by the change or not. That's all. Sorry you think everyone on the Carnival board is incapable of understanding what you're saying. I wouldn't participate in a thread where I thought everyone on it was dumber than me.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Celebrity suite breakfast is what you're looking for... albeit without any additional charge! :D

[IMG]http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/CRUISES/Celebrity-Eclipse-January-28th/i-vG2NZM2/0/L/IMG_0753-L.jpg[/IMG]

Later that day -- room service WINGS ! They were free as well... the beers, not so much ! ;)

[IMG]http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/CRUISES/Celebrity-Eclipse-January-28th/i-9xFZqcQ/0/L/IMG_0754-L.jpg[/IMG]

Tom[/QUOTE]

Forget the food, that's a huge beautiful balcony!