New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

IMO: Any cruise line that goes pay to play is going to fold. I think Carnival is doing it the smart way with upcharges for extra services... but 90% being complimentary.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. But what we consider to be upcharges for extra services used to be included in the "all inclusive" cruises in the past.

Examples:

1) Tipping was optional or already included, and was never, in the past added on to the bill.

2) The MDR had excellent service and food. There was never an upcharge for a steak. In fact there was no need for an optional steakhouse in that the menu and the service in the MDR used to be legendary.

3) There was never a need to purchase Ice Cream or similar type deserts in that they were readily available during the day

4) Midnight buffets were every night

5) Room Service menu was very large without any surcharge

6) Shows in the theatre would last 90 minutes (not 30 as we observed on Princess) and there would be no upcharges for "special" shows.

RCCL started the trend on their "Ultra-Large Ships" of having numerous add-on charges. With many of the cruise lines trying to keep down costs, yet have to maintain a profit, I do expect that we will see many more surcharges or upcharges for items which used to be included.

Well, I feel the same about your string of plant envy posts (and there are more than two of them).

Seriously, you are a nuisance and your posts are only nuisance related towards me.

Bug off.

Edited by eponym

Seriously, you are a nuisance and your posts are only nuisance related towards me.

Bug off.

I simply used the same words you did. If that is a problem, then next time use a different set of words to express yourself.

I received an email from Carnival either yesterday or the day before. Personally I am not paying for any room service items, I'll just stick to whatever is free on the menu. I usually order breakfast and then a snack at night thru room service.

I simply used the same words you did. If that is a problem, then next time use a different set of words to express yourself.

Please refrain from directly responding to me in the future. I am not going to go round and round with you. Please.

Thank you.

On the Breeze now and noticed that it was open at 10pm

Very interesting !

I'd love to know their new hours. Perhaps that will be spreading to other ships.

Have you learned how many Diamond guests are on your sailing yet?

Enjoy --

Tom

The bottom line in all of this....

Are you getting your money's worth when you cruise?

That's what people are discussing.

It is becoming more difficult to determine just that, and where it once was (or for a long time was), it MAY not be with ongoing changes.

No one will be able to really forecast their vacation costs and enjoyment other than having some sort of spending limit established, and then paying attention to total costs while having to cherry pick your way through a cruise to piece together what you hope is getting your money's worth AND satisfaction in the end. And, of course not exceeding your budget ceiling for the trip. The changes and potentially more changes could complicate the heck out of family vacations where it wasn't really necessary.

Edited by eponym

I just got the opportunity to see the proposed revised room service menu. While I am in agreement that it is voluntary and entirely the choice of the individual I was disappointed to see that certain items. such as the Shrimp Salad, will no longer be available. This was an item that I have ordered in the past and will miss. The other thing I was disappointed about is that Carnival did not include a soup such as the one on the Carnival Australia menu. Years ago, on my initial cruise (on Celebrity) I suffered from seasickness and found the chicken broth that I ordered from room service to be an alternative to help me settle my stomach. NCL also has broth on their menu. I don't recall what Royal Caribbean has but I do recall ordering a hot breakfast from their room service. I have made this suggestion many times when I responded to surveys at the end of my cruises regarding the broth but apparently this is not a priority for anyone but me. It would be a nice addition IMO.

That's what people are discussing.

It is becoming more difficult to determine just that, and where it once was (or for a long time was), it MAY not be with ongoing changes.

No one will be able to really forecast their vacation costs and enjoyment other than having some sort of spending limit established, and then paying attention to total costs while having to cherry pick your way through a cruise to piece together what you hope is getting your money's worth AND satisfaction in the end. And, of course not exceeding your budget ceiling for the trip. The changes and potentially more changes could complicate the heck out of family vacations where it wasn't really necessary.

This was part of my concern as well. It almost seems like they MAY be hoping that people lose track of their spending and end up spending more than they had planned. I would still cruise Carnival again, but am hoping they don't get too carried away with all of the extras and make family vacations unaffordable. For a couple, their current upcharges may be manageable, but when you have a family of four, five, or more, the extras can add up very quickly. With a larger family, even basic costs for a vacation can mount quickly, and every add on only eats into the budget further. We are a family of five, and are currently booked on RCI, so had to pay base fare for five, gratuities for five, round trip airfare for four, rental car, spending money, etc, and I can tell you, it all adds up very quickly. Soda cards for two adults and two kids alone were $182, gratuities almost $400, plus a Family Promenade cabin (about the only option for 5 outside of a suite, which would be out of our budget), another $1550 in airfare, $300 for independent excursions in two ports, and then we really have to start watching costs.

Very interesting !

I'd love to know their new hours. Perhaps that will be spreading to other ships.

Enjoy --

Tom

4 total, us and another couple. Got the diamond event invite for tomorrow afternoon but it is the same time as our group shared cocktail party. They are trying to reschedule.

Very interesting !

Enjoy --

Tom

If we get to go to the diamond event or we see Matt, I will ask about the hours. When we came back from dinner, there was a questionnaire regarding what additional dining venues we would like to have. Never received that before.

While it may not be Ruth Chris' or Sam Seltzer quality, neither is the food you're getting onboard.

Sam Seltzer went bankrupt. They were not known for high quality.

As far as comparing to the past, it's irrelevant. The pricing was built in, as you point out it was higher years ago when you factor inflation. A lot higher. Years ago you could bring your own liquor on board since they didn't make their money on booze. Now they do so the drinkers subsidize the fares. If just 10% of the people buy one $5 room service item it's several $million a year in revenue.

What part do you disagree with? The part that lamb chops, fillet, strip steak use to be on the main menu for free and now they are $20 extra? That is the truth.

I guess my point is...Carnival will start with ... oh we will just charge extra for a few things...then the free things on the RSM disappear. It happens all the time.

Just like the farewell party. Got where they only advertised it once at the beginning of the week and then said .... not well attended, therefore they dropped it. Well duh, you hide it the time and location and few people know about it or what it is and not well attended? In truth, it was a cutback.

I just took the Freedom 12-day repo cruise in February, and before that I was on the Liberty last April (with the new menus), and lamb chops were still on the menu on both cruises for free (lamb was offered for free 3 different nights on the Freedom), filet mignon was still an offering on the 2nd Elegant Evening, and New York Strip was on the main menu twice (at least) on the Freedom. All for free.

They were the standard cuts Carnival has always offered in the main dining room. The upcharge steaks are the Prime-grade beef (and whatever the equivalent of Prime-grade is for lamb) that you get in the Steakhouse, just for a smaller fee than the Steakhouse charges. The lamb replaced the lobster in the Steakhouse Selections on the 1st Elegant Evening, when Maine lobster was available on the main menu. But the free main menu is still serving lamb and filet mignon (I'm not sure if the strip is on the 7 day menu or just on the longer sailings).

And that now = 20,001 posts for Halos.

Thanks for helping to validate my statement....you are mistaken, however. My post count is a bit over 25,000 :p

carry on.....

Edited by halos

Thanks for helping to validate my statement....you are mistaken, however. My post count is a bit over 25,000 :p

carry on.....

And you have re-validated my statement as well. Another off topic post from you, that is completely non relevant. No wonder you got to 25,000 so quickly.

As I read back through the entire thread, it becomes clear once again to me what I was referring to when addressing you.

By the way, at 25,000+ posts (assuming at least 2 minutes to read and write a post), you have spent more than 830 hours of your life making posts on this board.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Happy Happy.

Edited by eponym

Not seen you in a while.....

Yes, been busy, not to mention it's just not the same around here. Came back to find a roll call for a cruise we just booked and popped in here after I saw JH post something about this on facebook....wanted to see what people were thinking about it.

Wanted to post something light, but that doesn't always work it seems.

As far as the topic goes....CCL cruises are pretty darn reasonable and I think if they need to make up money in some fashion, this isn't that big a deal. My stance has always been, if they need to charge more, DO it, just don't REMOVE things from the cruise experience....

Options are fine.

Elimination/cuts are not.

And you have re-validated my statement as well. Another off topic post from you, that is completely non relevant. No wonder you got to 25,000 so quickly.

As I read back through the entire thread, it becomes clear once again to me what I was referring to when addressing you.

By the way, at 25,000+ posts (assuming at least 2 minutes to read and write a post), you have spent more than 830 hours of your life making posts on this board.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Happy Happy.

So quickly?? I have been a member here since 2004....although the past 11 years has passed rather quickly....

Aside from that, a good portion of this thread is off topic.

Best wishes to you as well.

Edited by halos

Very interesting !

Enjoy --

Tom

Agreed! Wonder if it's staying open - or reopening in the evening :confused:

If we get to go to the diamond event or we see Matt, I will ask about the hours. When we came back from dinner, there was a questionnaire regarding what additional dining venues we would like to have. Never received that before.

Thanks for checking on the Guy's hours - if you can! Interesting that they are asking what's current cruisers think... ;)

I concur Halos - this thread has strayed quite a bit from its original intent (some attributable to me admittedly). That tends to happen from time to time, especially here on CC.

Generally it's not an issue as long as posters can resist taking little jabs here and there. Once that starts, it's like Ping Pong !

Tom

Yes, been busy, not to mention it's just not the same around here. Came back to find a roll call for a cruise we just booked and popped in here after I saw JH post something about this on facebook....wanted to see what people were thinking about it.

Wanted to post something light, but that doesn't always work it seems.

As far as the topic goes....CCL cruises are pretty darn reasonable and I think if they need to make up money in some fashion, this isn't that big a deal. My stance has always been, if they need to charge more, DO it, just don't REMOVE things from the cruise experience....

Options are fine.

Elimination/cuts are not.

So quickly?? I have been a member here since 2004....although the past 11 years has passed rather quickly....

Aside from that, a good portion of this thread is off topic.

Best wishes to you as well.

Your stance is the same as always (lol). Good to see you posting. Maybe cruise with you someday. (Off topic posts don't change much.... These included).