New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

We aren't sharing cabins, it isn't about what you eat in the privacy of your own cabin. It's shared table dining requirement in MDR, and there will be people and families with children that will be uncomfortable as I indicated.

Perhaps someone made uncomfortable by my ordering a steak should choose Your Time dining so they can sit by themselves.

Carnival should go the route of Princess. Slap a cabin tag on a case of soda and it gets delivered, no questions. Same for any non alcoholic beverage. We took a case of wine once and slapped a cabin tag and it was there. They still make their bar quotas. I have not paid more for my Princess trips than a Carnival one, so that argument is moot. Carnival has to make money somewheres to pay for the new ships. So anything out of their norm will have an upcharge. The ones suffering will be the workers as this will ding their tip. Personally, I don't go on vacation to eat in my room. But with small kids (or drunks) it might be necessary.

We've taken one Princess sailing (Caribbean Princess). While it was "OK", there were a couple things which rather irked me.

First night (in their steakhouse) - They bring us a menu and ask for our water preferences. I'm simply an "ice water" kind of guy. Cheryl asks for Pellegrino (or Perrier, can't recall!). They then ask for our ship card so that they can "run the charge". I said something along the lines of "you mean you can put that on our tab for the meal and charge us after we've finished"? To which they replied that it was their policy to do it this way.

Later that night, already confounded by that particular oddity, we were in a lounge and I ordered a Grey Goose and Diet Sprite. I was told that since they don't have Diet Sprite in their soda guns, I would have to pay for the drink AND pay for the can of soda. It was not just this lounge, or this server - it was that way the entire week, no matter where I ordered.

DSC03462-M.jpg

To this day, it really sticks with me - which is why I am still relaying this story years later !!

Tom

It just means that the US is catching up with Carnival Australia. They've charged for ALL room service items since the Spirit moved here in 2012 and the Legend last year. This is our room service menu...

e3f3645a-b2da-42c1-b106-951a7e638f21_zpsqlycezjq.jpg

what is an Aussie beef and beer pie?

Actually, in the past 3-4 Carnival cruises, they've always given us a table for us as I traveled with a large group (my family)..no strangers. Next cruise it will be just two of us cruising, so I am hoping I do get a table with other people so I can make some adult conversation. I couldn't care less about what they are ordering for dinner....I couldn't care less about what they are wearing....etc.

Later that night, already confounded by that particular oddity, we were in a lounge and I ordered a Grey Goose and Diet Sprite. I was told that since they don't have Diet Sprite in their soda guns, I would have to pay for the drink AND pay for the can of soda. It was not just this lounge, or this server - it was that way the entire week, no matter where I ordered.

To this day, it really sticks with me - which is why I am still relaying this story years later !!

Tom

LOL, that's wacky!!!

Probably, like you, I would have laughed it off and had a really weird story to tell.

With all those abbreviations, I have no clue what you just typed. GA & BA? HD?

:rolleyes: You can see I do not text

That is so funny because I was thinking the same thing, the who? the what? (and I do text) :)

LOL, on a thread about room service menus YOU bring up MDR up charged meals.

Then I comment on that and I am rambling????

Good one.

It's not a one up thing for me. Good luck. Be happy.

Edited by eponym

Actually, in the past 3-4 Carnival cruises, they've always given us a table for us as I traveled with a large group (my family)..no strangers. Next cruise it will be just two of us cruising, so I am hoping I do get a table with other people so I can make some adult conversation. I couldn't care less about what they are ordering for dinner....I couldn't care less about what they are wearing....etc.

That's great! Glad to hear. You are one of 4.5 million Carnival cruisers that has decided that the changes won't affect you.

I suspect most Carnival cruisers never use Room Service, but the changes won't affect me in any negative way.

I only used room service once ever, to order some milk at like 3 am when heartburn from a succulent dinner in the for-pay steakhouse was keeping me up. (I have chronic acid reflux before you attack the steakhouse. The dinner was simply too much and I would have paid twice as much for it on land.)

I took one look at the room service menu when I got on board and would usually head up to the pizzeria if I got midnight muchies.

Would I pay six bucks to get chicken wings delivered to my door at 3 am without having to get dressed and go up to the Lido? Absolutely. If you cannot accept that it may well be a generational divide. Old folks want cruising to be like the grand old days, young folks want modern ships with lots of modern amenities. That's where the tablecloth kerfuffle started. Carnival was trying to bring its dining rooms into what people consider to be contemporary elegant. The seniors started burning Gerry Cahill in effigy in protest and I expect that's why we still have tablecloths on the Pride even though our cruise director last year promised we'd get nice lacquered modern tables in the dining room, like they have in the steakhouse.

I only used room service once ever, to order some milk at like 3 am when heartburn from a succulent dinner in the for-pay steakhouse was keeping me up. (I have chronic acid reflux before you attack the steakhouse. The dinner was simply too much and I would have paid twice as much for it on land.)

I took one look at the room service menu when I got on board and would usually head up to the pizzeria if I got midnight muchies.

Would I pay six bucks to get chicken wings delivered to my door at 3 am without having to get dressed and go up to the Lido? Absolutely. If you cannot accept that it may well be a generational divide. Old folks want cruising to be like the grand old days, young folks want modern ships with lots of modern amenities. That's where the tablecloth kerfuffle started. Carnival was trying to bring its dining rooms into what people consider to be contemporary elegant. The seniors started burning Gerry Cahill in effigy in protest and I expect that's why we still have tablecloths on the Pride even though our cruise director last year promised we'd get nice lacquered modern tables in the dining room, like they have in the steakhouse.

As for Gerry Cahill--from what I have gathered, the months where Carnival had such "bad luck" with mechanical failures/breakdowns were a direct result of Mr Cahill's cheapness--along with cutting travel agent commissions, no longer printing brochures for clients, etc. That information was forwarded to me by a travel agent, so I have no way to verify it any further, but I do know that Cahill earned a bad reputation as a cost cutting bean counter. Whether or not it is well deserved may be up for debate. I wouldn't exactly run around praising him.

I am OK with this and may consider paying for the small charge items. We have never done room service before but will be trying on our upcoming cruise. Now only if they'd add pancakes, waffles, etc. to the breakfast room service menu!

I don't agree with what they did...but I also don't know if it would make people uncomfortable. I can certainly afford the upcharge they have for "surf and turf" but I can just wait till they serve it for free on another day. I can get lobster tail, filet of beef, prime rib during normal dining room meals, so why would anyone pay the surcharge? It's anyone's guess. I also have never been to the upcharge restaurants....

I have been to the steakhouse and can tell you the lobster and steaks are MUCH better than the ones offered in the main dining room. The main dining room food is very good though, and unless there really wasn't anything offered on a particular night that appealed to me, I most likely wouldn't pay the extra, but I like the option.

Back to the original subject - I'm disappointing that they are removing the shrimp salad and chicken fajita wrap. Those were my two favorites. BUT, as long as I can order coffee, juice, and rolls for free so I can spend a relaxed morning on my balcony before getting out for a real breakfast, I'm OK. I do use RS for that every single day of a cruise. I would hate to have to venture to the lido deck to get coffee as soon as I wake up.

Options are good to have. In twenty or so cruises we have only ordered breakfast from room service (and that is not daily). I could consider ordering some of these items. I also can see that this will impact lots of people who will have to decide if this is their breaking point or not.

As for Gerry Cahill--from what I have gathered, the months where Carnival had such "bad luck" with mechanical failures/breakdowns were a direct result of Mr Cahill's cheapness--along with cutting travel agent commissions, no longer printing brochures for clients, etc. That information was forwarded to me by a travel agent, so I have no way to verify it any further, but I do know that Cahill earned a bad reputation as a cost cutting bean counter. Whether or not it is well deserved may be up for debate. I wouldn't exactly run around praising him.

If your sailing history is current on your signature, I'm confused as to why you are so concerned about what Carnival is doing, since it would appear that you haven't cruised Carnival since 2006. Unless you are a shareholder, I really can't figure out why you would feel so strongly about this - to spend so much time telling us "sheep" why we are working against our own interests.

what is an Aussie beef and beer pie?
Pies in Australia are traditionally savoury (we do have dessert pies as well, but when someone says "pie", they usually mean a meat pie). This would more than likely be the equivalent of a "beef and Guinness pie" but they just wouldn't wanna pay to use the name Guinness. If you google it, you'll see what I mean. :)

If your sailing history is current on your signature, I'm confused as to why you are so concerned about what Carnival is doing, since it would appear that you haven't cruised Carnival since 2006. Unless you are a shareholder, I really can't figure out why you would feel so strongly about this - to spend so much time telling us "sheep" why we are working against our own interests.

I'm sure there will be a post that makes perfect sense telling you how wrong you are.

Options are good to have. In twenty or so cruises we have only ordered breakfast from room service (and that is not daily). I could consider ordering some of these items. I also can see that this will impact lots of people who will have to decide if this is their breaking point or not.

Because I almost booked another Carnival cruise before we decided on RCI. Not like it matters--RCI is making similar changes to their product and pricing as well. We debated for a few months between Carnival and RCI and narrowly chose Freedom of the Seas.

I'm sure there will be a post that makes perfect sense telling you how wrong you are.

You're also very opinionated so don't know why you're getting your feathers all ruffled. You simply can't take hearing any opinion against what you're precious Carnival Cruise Line is doing. I though this was cruise critic and debates were welcome, but apparently not.

Told you.

I also didn't say they were wrong like you enjoy doing so well. I simply stated why Carnival's business decisions have an impact on me. Because I'm not a loyal Carnival only customer.

You're also very opinionated so don't know why you're getting your feathers all ruffled. You simply can't take hearing any opinion against what you're precious Carnival Cruise Line is doing. I though this was cruise critic and debates were welcome, but apparently not.

Actually, I am rather strong willed and I believe my opinion is better than others opinions.

You, on the other hand, don't believe anyone else should even HAVE an opinion.

That's just my opinion, though.

Actually, I am rather strong willed and I believe my opinion is better than others opinions.

You, on the other hand, don't believe anyone else should even HAVE an opinion.

That's just my opinion, though.

I am also very strong willed--which is precisely why I feel that a lot of their new charges and cost cutting is BS. So I guess we're both legends on our own minds, since we both think we're right. Realistically, the real correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle. You have your opinion and I have mine. We don't have to agree, but we don't have to argue. This is much like arguing politics or religion. Everyone has an opinion and to the other side, it stinks. I'm not trying to argue with you. If you're ok with everything Carnival does and have no problem paying all of the ridiculous charges they want you to, then so be it. I am not of the same group and will question it. Just because someone CAN charge more, doesn't always mean they SHOULD. If there is a need to charge more for something, then justify the price increase to me, don't simply do it and think I'll be ok with it, because I won't.

You don't understand.

I can easily voice my opinion by saying..."I don't mind the extra room service charges for certain items."

You, on the other hand have to say "

. If you're ok with everything Carnival does and have no problem paying all of the ridiculous charges they want you to, then so be it. I am not of the same group and will question it.

With my opinion I can say what I like or don't like.

Your opinion has to say that someone else is WRONG, (ie. What I do is ridiculous)

Big difference there bud.

You don't understand.

I can easily voice my opinion by saying..."I don't mind the extra room service charges for certain items."

You, on the other hand have to say "

With my opinion I can say what I like or don't like.

Your opinion has to say that someone else is WRONG, (ie. What I do is ridiculous)

Big difference there bud.

Ok I see what you mean. Bottom line then: I don't agree with the majority of changes and cutbacks they are making and may or may not cruise Carnival in the future. Is that better? Like is said--I'm not to argue with you so can we bury the hatchet now? Not in each other's skulls, BTW....