New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

People choose room service because it is convenient even though you can eat elsewhere on the ship. I, too, would miss my early morning coffee and croissant but if they charged I'd walk the steps to procure it, myself, as long as it was available when I get up at 6am.

Maybe the key would be for the buffet to offer "to go" trays so that you could easily carry the stuff back to your room if you so desire as well as sealable coffee mugs (paper or otherwise).

They did but did away with these a few years back. Said it made people waste food. :rolleyes:

Free lamb on Carnival Miracle 8 day Alaska last September

DSC_1029_Zyde.jpg

Not sure about American Table ships, but they have other tasty options.

Thank you! I wonder why I was on the cruises I was on, they only offered shank. Wondering if maybe because in the Caribbean and not in another area?

If you look at that "new" room service menu the NY roll with brie is gone. The shrimp roll...gone. Veggies and dip...gone. Quesadilla is now being charged for and it was once...free.

THIS is what bugs me. It starts as a "charge" for "some" things while only removing a "few" things. However, it won't stay that way.

John compared this to a "hotel" charging for room service. Well, I don't pay 1000's of dollars to stay in a hotel for seven days UNLESS I'm in downtown Manhattan or in a high end resort, which, by the way, INCLUDES my food AND alcohol. Cruise ships aren't hotels. The food and entertainment need to be included in that price. Period.

PS....I would MUCH prefer them add a dollar to the service charge if the staff that delivers our food being stiffed is the problem.

Getting ready for cruise #16 next week and never got room service... Never understood how lazy someone must be that they can't walk a couple of hundred feet to piles of food everywhere..

I'm on vacation from my 60 hour a week job running my real estate company. Sitting on my balcony enjoying coffee and danishes and watching the ocean go by isn't laziness. It's my vacation.

If you want to jump up and run around all over the ship for your vacation, that's your business, and I hope you have a jolly time at it, but that's not how I do it.

[quote name='poison7fl']Getting ready for cruise #16 next week and never got room service... Never understood how lazy someone must be that they can't walk a couple of hundred feet to piles of food everywhere..[/QUOTE]

You must have read my mind. Maybe coffee in the morning but then is the time to stroll a sleeping ship. Cup some coffee on the way back to the cabin. Then go for breakfast. Almost 60, never ordered room service in my life. Edited by golfb4cruzing

At a certain time, there's not piles of food everywhere. Besides, me and my kids love Carnival's ceasar salad, which you can't get other than the MDR and on the room service menu. Yup, we order room service in the evenings at least twice during a cruise.

I don't think it's lazy to order coffee when there are plenty of beverage stations open in the morning. And I don't think it's lazy for a waiter to take my drink order while I'm laying out on the Lido deck.

Don't understand why people on here can't respect other people's options to do things their way on vacation without having to hurl insults. There are plenty of times you are waited on while onboard. Since when does it automatically make you lazy? Please.

[quote name='Kristi Williamson']If you look at that "new" room service menu the NY roll with brie is gone. The shrimp roll...gone. Veggies and dip...gone. Quesadilla is now being charged for and it was once...free.

THIS is what bugs me. It starts as a "charge" for "some" things while only removing a "few" things. However, it won't stay that way.

John compared this to a "hotel" charging for room service. Well, I don't pay 1000's of dollars to stay in a hotel for seven days UNLESS I'm in downtown Manhattan or in a high end resort, which, by the way, INCLUDES my food AND alcohol. Cruise ships aren't hotels. The food and entertainment need to be included in that price. Period.

PS....I would MUCH prefer them add a dollar to the service charge if the staff that delivers our food being stiffed is the problem.[/QUOTE]

More than just a couple of things are gone...the new "Freebie" menu has been hacked!

Not on this new menu that was FREE on the old RSM:

Shrimp Salad on french Roll
Mozzarella & Portobello Mushrooms on Focaccia
Roasted NY Strip Loin & Cheddar Cheese on French Bread
Chicken Fajita, Guacamole with Greens in a Jalepeno & Tomato Wrap
Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Rye
Assorted Vegetable Sticks with Blue Cheese Dip
Fresh Fruit Salad
Strawberry Yogurt

Actually they cut the FREE items in half. Use to get 18 free...plus drinks...now only 9!!!

And someone will come along and say "This is not a cutback" Edited by ready2cruzagain

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']I've certainly not been in the loop much lately here on CC - but just learned of a new room service menu which is due to be implemented on April 12. There are to be some pay items on it as well.

If this has already been covered here on CC, could someone give me a link to the thread(s)?

If not - I have no other information thus far. Just read it in an email from a Hotel Director.

THANKS,

Tom[/QUOTE]

Hi, Tom & Cheryl. I've missed your posts on CC.

[quote name='Kristi Williamson']I'm on vacation from my 60 hour a week job running my real estate company. Sitting on my balcony enjoying coffee and danishes and watching the ocean go by isn't laziness. It's my vacation.

If you want to jump up and run around all over the ship for your vacation, that's your business, and I hope you have a jolly time at it, but that's not how I do it.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear! lol The audacity of some people. I don't go to the gym on my vacations either, that might make me lazy...and going to the spa and indulging in massage, lazy? check. My vacation is all about being LAZY. I work hard and when I choose a cruise for my vacation, it's all about vegging out and being served while watching the wake in my aft balcony. When I feel like running around, I'll go the Orlando parks...
...but that's just me.

It's the simple things in life..... Edited by Love2Cruz2015

I have mixed feelings on this. I should state that I've only ordered room service a few times in my life, and never on a cruise. I can usually find acceptable (or better) options if I'm willing to travel a bit for them.

Having extra menu items is nice, even if they do cost extra. And one of the test labs will be the Conquest, which I will be on in December.

However, they're still not serving true dinner entrees, which would be most appealing to me.

Overall it's not bad, but not what it could have been.

[quote name='ready2cruzagain']

And someone will come along and say "This is not a cutback"[/QUOTE]

To me, the issue isn't whether something is a cut back. The issue each of us needs to decide for ourselves is, is this changing something I value. For some, the answer to this is yes because they get a lot of room service. For me, if it will keep my cruise costs down, since I don't get room service much at all, then I'm for it. That doesn't mean I think others shouldn't be disappointed in this change.

That's the way I view any change Carnival makes. How does it affect my experience? And if there's one thing I have learned in reading threads, it's amazing how diverse people's opinions are in what we each value.

[quote name='Honolulu Blue']I have mixed feelings on this. I should state that I've only ordered room service a few times in my life, and never on a cruise. I can usually find acceptable (or better) options if I'm willing to travel a bit for them.

Having extra menu items is nice, even if they do cost extra. And one of the test labs will be the Conquest, which I will be on in December.

However, they're still not serving true dinner entrees, which would be most appealing to me.

Overall it's not bad, but not what it could have been.[/QUOTE]

When we sail on Carnival, probably the single biggest thing I miss (compared to most other mainstream lines) is not being able to order off the dining room menu in our suite. Many will say "yes, but other lines charge much more than Carnival for thier suites." While that's mostly true, Carnival would do well (in my opinion) to offer this perk to those in at least their top suites: Captain's Suites, and Fantasy class Owner's Suites - as the rates for those are similar to other lines suites.

This has happened rarely for us, but that's HD dependent!

Tom

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='ANGELSwithANGLES']I guess youre forgetting they are cramming twice as many people into these ships where personalized service is almost non existant. I would expect to be paying half the fare I used to.[/QUOTE]
I don't get the service being almost non existent. I've been on 21 Carnival cruises and can truthfully say, we have always had good service and most of the time great! But, we are easy going and don't ask for a lot and show appreciation for everything we get. The more appreciation you show, the more the employees want to help you.
Pat

[quote name='Hoosierpop']To me, the issue isn't whether something is a cut back. The issue each of us needs to decide for ourselves is, is this changing something I value. For some, the answer to this is yes because they get a lot of room service. For me, if it will keep my cruise costs down, since I don't get room service much at all, then I'm for it. That doesn't mean I think others shouldn't be disappointed in this change.

That's the way I view any change Carnival makes. How does it affect my experience? And if there's one thing I have learned in reading threads, it's amazing how diverse people's opinions are in what we each value.[/quote]

This is so perfectly stated. A few days ago, someone posted a review that wasn't overly complimentary to Carnival based on something small happening every single day. He was blasted by most posters as being someone unable to be satisfied. My post said simply that the OP gets to feel how he feels. No one can determine what holds value or relevance to another.

This change is actually pretty big for us. We cruise for ports, but also for the complete relaxation factor of cruising. My DH and I both have heavy work schedules, so down time is a HUGE deal for us when we vacation. Part of that is getting up in the morning and ordering coffee and danishes to sit on the balcony and watch the ocean go by together. Part of that is sitting on the balcony in the late evening with tea and cheesecake to just visit and be together. The food is part of that feeling and time together (sort of like how food plays a part in family gatherings).

While those things are included in our cruise fare NOW, this change signals a larger change because that is the trend. Removing 1/2 of the menu items matters, as well.

Excluding room service from the inclusive cruise experience and fare would matter greatly to us.

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']When we sail on Carnival, probably the single biggest thing I miss (compared to most other mainstream lines) is not being able to order off the dining room menu in our suite. Many will say "yes, but other lines charge much more than Carnival for thier suites." While that's mostly true, Carnival would do well (in my opinion) to offer this perk to those in at least their top suites: Captain's Suites, and Fantasy class Owner's Suites - as the rates for those are similar to other lines suites.

This has happened rarely for us, but that's HD dependent!

Tom

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

I agree with this. NCL's suite menu is spectacular....and completely included in the cruise fare!!!

[quote name='poison7fl']Getting ready for cruise #16 next week and never got room service... Never understood how lazy someone must be that they can't walk a couple of hundred feet to piles of food everywhere..[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never had a problem walking.
I need food and or milk with my medication at certain times of the day when MDR isn't open.
It's hard, especially at night, to find milk on the ship, unless you go to lido deck and search for a staff member who can go into the bowels of the ship to dig one up. Many ships do not have coolers to store milk brought back from breakfast or lunch.
So much easier to pick up a phone and call RS to order cookies and milk at night, and leave the hanger out for toast and juice in the morning to save my strength for activities later in the day.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

(I'm the would-be newbie cruiser who posted on page one being sad that this is the time I happen to be investigating cruises (specifically the last six weeks or so, which seems to have coincided with a lot of unpopular policy decisions across different lines). I just wanted to thank the folks who took the time to write reassuring responses, there were quite a few of you.)