New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

[quote name='jimbo5544']Thanks:):D How was your Sunshine cruise?[/QUOTE]

We were both pleasantly surprised! Having sailed on the Destiny previously, and knowing that they took away a chunk of the main show lounge and added more cabins - I figured it would be crowded. Granted, most Carnival ships (save the Spirit class) do have a lower passenger space ratio than, let's say Celebrity - so they do tend to feel "tight".

With the added dining options and reworking of the buffet area - I think they did very well! I liked it more than the Dream or Breeze. The only thing missing was the pub menu (again, WINGS!) in the RedFrog Pub !!

It was our office sailing, so we were able to enjoy it with our staff. We booked the entire Chef's Table one night - that was FUN ! Enjoying the week in the Captain's Suite was icing on the cake. :)

Tom

[quote name='ANGELSwithANGLES']I guess youre forgetting they are cramming twice as many people into these ships where personalized service is almost non existant. I would expect to be paying half the fare I used to.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]So it's up to each individual to decide if the aforementioned changes are too painful or unacceptable to continue cruising on Carnival, or any other line. [/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by Jamman54

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']We were both pleasantly surprised! Having sailed on the Destiny previously, and knowing that they took away a chunk of the main show lounge and added more cabins - I figured it would be crowded. Granted, most Carnival ships (save the Spirit class) do have a lower passenger space ratio than, let's say Celebrity - so they do tend to feel "tight".

With the added dining options and reworking of the buffet area - I think they did very well! I liked it more than the Dream or Breeze. The only thing missing was the pub menu (again, WINGS!) in the RedFrog Pub !!

It was our office sailing, so we were able to enjoy it with our staff. We booked the entire Chef's Table one night - that was FUN ! Enjoying the week in the Captain's Suite was icing on the cake. :)

Tom[/QUOTE]
We will be on the Sunshine in August, and staying in the Captain's suite as well. Thanks for the info. Not sure if you have checked it out, but where they will hold the CT on the Vista looks pretty darn cool!

So it's up to each individual to decide if the aforementioned changes are too painful or unacceptable to continue cruising on Carnival, or any other line.

Interesting, this poster writing style reminds me a lot of someone who used to post here. Go figure;)

to an outsider skimming all the lines' boards it looks like I missed the golden age of cruising or something. :) Lots of outrage on RCCL and NCL right now especially.)

The "golden" age of cruising was a totally different experience. It was pretty much limited to a section of folks who had the time and resources to pay a pretty hefty fare to be pampered for a week or more...and cruise ships were small, with portholes the only option for natural light. Dining was set, 3 times a day and menus were pretty limited. Activities were fairly sedentary and ports were the same old, same old.

I wouldn't mind an old-fashioned, all inclusive cruise with only 500 passengers again....oh, I probably could cruise Azamara and spend my kid's inheritance.

The "golden" age of cruising was a totally different experience. It was pretty much limited to a section of folks who had the time and resources to pay a pretty hefty fare to be pampered for a week or more...and cruise ships were small, with portholes the only option for natural light. Dining was set, 3 times a day and menus were pretty limited. Activities were fairly sedentary and ports were the same old, same old.

I wouldn't mind an old-fashioned, all inclusive cruise with only 500 passengers again....oh, I probably could cruise Azamara and spend my kid's inheritance.

Some of the newbies here should book themselves on those special "way back" cruises to see what it was like, except the experience will bematter bY not pulling those old ships out of mothballs. It will be in ships that have twice as many people sailby on them.

It was the intimacy of actually getting to know all the faces of you fellow passengers that laid the base for something special. And then put a gun in their hand to fire at clay discs.

Edited by ANGELSwithANGLES

I don't see anything wrong with options....you have the option to buy or not to buy. Cruises are not all inclusive, and never have been since I started cruising in 2002. I honestly don't mind it. For years I didn't go to optional dining but a few weeks ago we went to the steakhouse twice on our 6 day cruise. My son went to the kid's club and we were able to have date nights and it was great food that would have been way more expensive on land. Not to mention we don't usually have anyone to watch him on land.

I'm not flaming you, you certainly have a right to your opinion and if charging for room service items is the deal breaker for you....so be it.

My opinion only and don't care who flames: opened this door when they started charging for selected items in the MDR.

Now firmly down the path of doing away with the all-inclusive cruise.

You can pretend they are options. I can see a couple of years down the line when cruise ships are filled with a new group of people.

I have a cruise booked for June that I booked in May, 2014. If charging anything for room service comes to fruition it will be the fifth change Carnival has made unilaterally since I booked. It will be time for me to walk away and cheers to you who can't wait for the door to slam behind me.

Thanks. Maybe I picked the wrong time of year/news cycle to start investigating cruises and lurking on CC. Does this happen every spring? Is it always pay more/get less each year, or does awesome stuff get added to counterbalance it?

(I'm not trying to troll or whatever, but to an outsider skimming all the lines' boards it looks like I missed the golden age of cruising or something. :) Lots of outrage on RCCL and NCL right now especially.)

I'm the same - the only time I cruised was on an "Educational Cruise" organized by my school in the early '70s. I'm starting to get a bit disheartened from reading all the posts of how disappointed people are with different cruise lines. I already booked a cruise last year for 2016 and paid extra for the balcony but now with the change of smoking policy on balcony debating whether to change to an inside and save $$$$$.

Some of the newbies here should book themselves on those special "way back" cruises to see what it was like, except the experience will bematter bY not pulling those old ships out of mothballs. It will be in ships that have twice as many people sailby on them.

It was the intimacy of actually getting to know all the faces of you fellow passengers that laid the base for something special. And then put a gun in their hand to fire at clay discs.

There is no way they can ever replicate how cruising was 30 years ago, for the very reason you mentioned. When I sailed on the brand new Holiday in 1985, she was the 3rd biggest cruise ship in the world. Only the QE2 and the Norway were bigger, and she carried a whopping 1,450 guests. By the end of the cruise you knew almost everybody.

The HD was kind enough to reply back that BUFFALO WINGS are "definitely on there". This will make afternoon's on the balcony, with a couple of cold ones, that much more appealing !

Now, I'm not sure if the April 12th date represents a fleet wide roll out, but I suppose we'll soon know.

Tom

It's funny, I have started watching old episodes of the Love Boat and there are never cabins with balconies or windows. People would just walk on to the ship, etc. Knowing how things are today it makes watching the show very amusing.

I'm the same - the only time I cruised was on an "Educational Cruise" organized by my school in the early '70s. I'm starting to get a bit disheartened from reading all the posts of how disappointed people are with different cruise lines. I already booked a cruise last year for 2016 and paid extra for the balcony but now with the change of smoking policy on balcony debating whether to change to an inside and save $$$$$.

Don't let people's crabbing get you down. We all love cruising it is just a place to vent. Look at how many people have cruises booked and on their countdown. I have three 2 Celebrity and 1 Carnival booked through July of 2016 (don't like putting the countdown on my posts). Things are changing for

good and some bad but that is the way all things work look at the airlines. As

consumers we can make choices. We love Carnival and but will tell you look around at other lines because they are not always the cheapest if you factor in

all things be flexible. CRUISING IS AWESOME !!!

The HD was kind enough to reply back that BUFFALO WINGS are "definitely on there". This will make afternoon's on the balcony, with a couple of cold ones, that much more appealing !

Now, I'm not sure if the April 12th date represents a fleet wide roll out, but I suppose we'll soon know.

Tom

My mouth is watering!!!

Don't let people's crabbing get you down. We all love cruising it is just a place to vent. Look at how many people have cruises booked and on their countdown. I have three 2 Celebrity and 1 Carnival booked through July of 2016 (don't like putting the countdown on my posts). Things are changing for

good and some bad but that is the way all things work look at the airlines. As

consumers we can make choices. We love Carnival and but will tell you look around at other lines because they are not always the cheapest if you factor in

all things be flexible. CRUISING IS AWESOME !!!

Thanks Kentucky816 - I was really starting to get a bit "antsy" about the whole thing.....

I don't agree. If they are simply bringing you food that is already being made and being served up top, why would it suddenly be charged for and tipping "charges" still not apply. They are not delivering it any differently.

They are adding stuff. What is there will stay per the rumors and will be free as they are now.

So, no cut back, this is an addition.

As to why the charge; because people will be too lazy to go to the lido deck to get the food that is free.

Andy

What part do you disagree with? The part that lamb chops, fillet, strip steak use to be on the main menu for free and now they are $20 extra? That is the truth.

I guess my point is...Carnival will start with ... oh we will just charge extra for a few things...then the free things on the RSM disappear. It happens all the time.

Just like the farewell party. Got where they only advertised it once at the beginning of the week and then said .... not well attended, therefore they dropped it. Well duh, you hide it the time and location and few people know about it or what it is and not well attended? In truth, it was a cutback.

I don't know where you have been, but on my cruise a month ago, they still have lamb chops in the MDR for free.

Yes, one night were the $20 chops you get from the Steakhouse which are a better cut (NZ Lamb), but another night, they still had the regular free lamb chops and let me tell you they were yummo....

Andy

Edited by Harrier1961

I still see cruising as a great bargain. You can still get some 6-7 day cruises (inside cabin) for $800 a couple and sometimes less on the real sale dates. And you don't have to spend a penny more if you don't want to. I'm sure there are many people on here that spend less than $50 while onboard and possibly $100 all week at the ports.

As far as the room service, I don't mind paying for more choices as long as the menu as it has always been contain free items, but I would not welcome a delivery charge for room service at all.