For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

[quote name='LoveyHowell']On page 3 you said you have no problem with the policy. I think your subsequent posts paint a different picture altogether. Clearly you take offense to people removing DSC at their discretion. If it bothers you very much why not take a cruise line where the service fees are baked in and/or not refundable?[/QUOTE]

Here's my answer regarding the TYPE of DSC removers I have a problem with underline:

[quote name='maywell']I have no problem with differing opinions - I have problems with complainers / whiners who won't fix their problems despite all the advice how to solve it (on CC no less - alots of good advice how to fix problems) and[U] DSC-removers that claim they tip but it glaringly obvious they don't when they explain themselves further.[/U][/QUOTE]

There's a glaring difference between a DSC-remover like Legion3 and others like jackson bernard that you defended yesterday - Why don't you read legion3 posts in this thread to figure it out - Trust me, I kinda believe he does tips the staff while removing the DSC.

[quote name='LoveyHowell']

When ROOM service fee was added people said if you don't like it, go elsewhere. Then they held up the NCL contract that says NCL can change anything it wants. So NCL is right. But when someone mentions DSC and references that same exact contract, they are wrong. The contract is wrong. [/QUOTE]No, the contract is neither right nor wrong; it is simply the contract. It determines what the company and the passengers have the right to do. When people say that NCL does not have the right to raise onboard prices according to the contract, they are wrong. They do have the right to do that. But I can say that in my opinion, it is a lousy thing for them to do. When passengers say that they have the right to remove their DSC according to the contract, they are right. They do have the right to do that. But I can say that in my opinion, it is a lousy thing for them to do.

[quote name='maywell']Here's my answer regarding the TYPE of DSC removers I have a problem with underline:

There's a glaring difference between a DSC-remover like Legion3 and others like jackson bernard that you defended yesterday - Why don't you read legion3 posts in this thread to figure it out - Trust me, I kinda believe he does tips the staff while removing the DSC.[/QUOTE]

So you clearly do have an issue with the policy. It's a discretionary charge and can be changed or removed at a guests request, no further discussion necessary. Either you are fine with that or not. You are not fine with that being an option because you believe some people should not be allowed to change or remove the Charge. No need to hide from that.

[quote name='hawkeyetlse']No, the contract is neither right nor wrong; it is simply the contract. It determines what the company and the passengers have the right to do. When people say that NCL does not have the right to raise onboard prices according to the contract, they are wrong. They do have the right to do that. But I can say that in my opinion, it is a lousy thing for them to do. When passengers say that they have the right to remove their DSC according to the contract, they are right. They do have the right to do that. But I can say that in my opinion, it is a lousy thing for them to do.[/QUOTE]

A fair analysis and response

[quote name='maywell']Here's my answer regarding the TYPE of DSC removers I have a problem with underline:

There's a glaring difference between a DSC-remover like Legion3 and others like jackson bernard that you defended yesterday - Why don't you read legion3 posts in this thread to figure it out - Trust me, I kinda believe he does tips the staff while removing the DSC.[/QUOTE]

Actually your completely wrong, basically in all your posts but this one in particular, I have never removed a DSC on any cruise and have tipped extra everyone, I felt deserved it.

I just don't like sanctimonious tip bullies that tell others what to do with their own money. But that's me. ;)

[quote name='LoveyHowell']You continue to support NCL, even though you clearly disagree with the policy of DSC being discretionary. Why do you continue to spend money with NCL if you do not agree with their policy?[/QUOTE]

Because... even though you may disagree on 1 policy and agree with 99 others AND you enjoy the EXPERIENCE you don't spin your wheels looking for companies you agree 100% with. It would be an ordeal. I like NCL, especially the suite life. But I feel it is like telling a sports franchise owner how to run their team.

Do you research every company you patronize?

[quote name='mjkacmom']They're called flight attendants here, and I've never tipped them. However, I give the porters $2 per bag at the airport, more to the bellman at the hotel for handling my luggage. A few bucks to the valet if parking and/or retrieving my car, same to the employee calling me a cab, tip up to the cab driver, $1 pp per day for hotel housekeeping, a few bucks for room service, or for extra pillows/blankets/towels. 18% - 20% at restaurants, $1 or $2 for each drink at the bar.[/QUOTE]

whoa that's crazy tipping :D

Hey but it's your money...;)

[quote name='legion3']So is a tip an obligation?[/QUOTE]

You mean the 'service charge' - that an obligation. The tip is what you feel someone deserves. I keep forgetting that people confuse the 2 as the same thing while cruising.

[quote name='legion3']Why?[/QUOTE]

Why? Because, these are typically the same people who "never get good service" where ever they go. They are normally the same people who never get their money's worth; therefore, they will never tip, anywhere. I do what I want to do. I don't care what other people do. I just think it's funny that many people will always remove the gratuity, because they will always be the people who always get bad service. Live and let live. :D

[quote name='LoveyHowell']It seems some posters have a real issue with DSC on NCL being discretionary and the fact that it can be removed by the guest just for asking without the need to provide any reason whatsover. If it bothers you so much...why continue to patronize a company with policies you do not like?

[B]There are other lines that have all inclusive charges. Or, for example, you can sail with Royal Caribbean which will make you pre-pay gratuities to use their version of Freestyle dining and[U] it is non-refundable no matter the quality of service.[/U][/B]

I ask this because whenever NCL changes a policy and people voice concerns or complaints, the standard answer by many is if you don't like the policy, don't pay NCL for a vacation. Well, the question is back to those same people - If you want a company that does not allows DSC to be a discretionary fee, why are you still with NCL?[/quote]

This is simply untrue, as [U]I received a full refund of the prepaid gratuities[/U], for my Quantum of the Seas, Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2, 2014. Edited by gkbiiii

[quote name='gkbiiii']This is simply untrue, as [U]I received a full refund of the prepaid gratuities[/U], for my Quantum of the Seas, Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2, 2014.[/QUOTE]

you shouldnt have told that..they are going to come now all over you :p

[quote name='backsbanny']you shouldnt have told that..they are going to come now all over you :p[/quote]

I know your right about that: it is just so hard to be forced into mediocrity, with spending MY own money!!!

I know the long knives are out!!! :eek::rolleyes::p

[quote name='mjkacmom']They're called flight attendants here, and I've never tipped them. However, I give the porters $2 per bag at the airport, more to the bellman at the hotel for handling my luggage. A few bucks to the valet if parking and/or retrieving my car, same to the employee calling me a cab, tip up to the cab driver, $1 pp per day for hotel housekeeping, a few bucks for room service, or for extra pillows/blankets/towels. 18% - 20% at restaurants, $1 or $2 for each drink at the bar.[/QUOTE]

Someone who understands tipping!!!!

[quote name='maywell']Yes, it is unlike in your country where take as an insult. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Why do you continue to vacation with NCL if you find their policy about DSC being discretionary so troublesome?

[quote name='Froggitt']NCL should pay a decent wage to staff. If that means upping prices to include gratuities, fair enough. No more stiffing. No more threads about 18% service charges on drinks or meals.[/QUOTE]

How do you define the term Decent Wage? Do you know how much these crews would get paid doing similar jobs back in Philippine, Indonesia and Caribbean? There is a good reason they all signed on with NCL and keep extending their contracts over and over again.

[quote name='LoveyHowell']Why do you continue to vacation with NCL if you find their policy about DSC being discretionary so troublesome?[/QUOTE]

I was referring to his native country of Greece, where he claims tipping is sign of insult. D in DSC can also stand for Daily Service Charges and Service Charges on NCL are not tips - its service charges / fees. Now if you don't like NCL can be discretionary with the charges / fees (they can doled it however they see fit ), then you go and cruise elsewhere. Me, I prepay the charges and tip (a sign of gratitude ) on top to my room steward and any staff that goes beyond the call of duty for me while enjoying my vacation. And for the record - Majority of NCL passengers are so not like NCL CC forums posters that disagree with others opinions and viewpoints; I would use some names and descriptions of the differences but then this thread will get deleted. Edited by maywell

I was referring to his native country of Greece, where he claims tipping is sign of insult. D in DSC can also stand for Daily Service Charges and Service Charges on NCL are not tips - its service charges / fees. Now if you don't like NCL can be discretionary with the charges / fees (they can doled it however they see fit ), then you go and cruise elsewhere. Me, I prepay the charges and tip (a sign of gratitude ) on top to my room steward and any staff that goes beyond the call of duty for me while enjoying my vacation. And for the record - Majority of NCL passengers are so not like NCL CC forums posters that disagree with others opinions and viewpoints; I would use some names and descriptions of the differences but then this thread will get deleted.

So you don't support NCL policy of allowing guests to remove the service charge at the guest discretion?

I have no problem with the policy. I just think it's poor taste to hear people talk about how clever they think they are for taking advantage of it.

I also have no problem with NCL's UBP policy. I just think it's poor taste to hear people talk about how fall-down drunk they got.

So you don't support NCL policy of allowing guests to remove the service charge at the guest discretion?

I believe that if you're going to reduce / remove let be because there was a complete service failure from top to bottom or situation that just could not be resolved at all - like the NCL FAQ states. And oh, on the contract now they took out the word 'discretionary" from Service Charges now, thought you should know.

I believe that if you're going to reduce / remove let be because there was a complete service failure from top to bottom or situation that just could not be resolved at all - like the NCL FAQ states. And oh, on the contract now they took out the word 'discretionary" from Service Charges now, thought you should know.

The guest ticket contract still says discretionary. The website FAQ is not the conteact...