For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

How is "poor service" corrected, exactly? If I've received poor service, then I've received poor service... it's done. Now, in addition to the poor service, I have to go dick with management or guest services? What is the correction? A bottle of wine? Some chocolates appearing in my stateroom? Free Le Bistro?

What if the "poor service" is the fees? Are the fees part of the service, or somehow separated from the umbrella of the service?

You are on board for the length of the cruise. Can't the cruise line correct an issue that you have early in your cruise? Honestly, what type of correction is fair and equitable? If you were running the cruise line and the "correction" was coming out of your pocket, what would you do? If someone removed the DSC without explanation, I would conclude they were cheap and exploiting a loophole.

Poor service is the fees??? I do not understand this question. the DSC is part of the cruise fare. If they are too high or you think they should not be assessed then tell the cruise line by not giving them your business.

If someone removed the DSC without explanation, I would conclude they were cheap and exploiting a loophole.

But according to the experts here, the cruise line concludes that you've had bad service since they factor in removed DSC to their performance metrics.

Poor service is the fees??? I do not understand this question. the DSC is part of the cruise fare. If they are too high or you think they should not be assessed then tell the cruise line by not giving them your business.

My guess (even though it was hard to understand) is that the poster disagrees with the newly instituted fees (room service charge, 18 percent specialty restaurant charge, etc.) and is wondering if a reduction in the DSC is in order if they disagree with them, because they feel implementing them is poor service.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Fees are not poor service. Poor service, for the most part is not a one time I explained to him our unhappiness with the slowness of dinner service. From that night on, we were in and all with all parts of dinner completed in 75 minutes or less. That is correcting poor service. In this case, removal of any portion of the tips is unwarranted, we just didn't give anything else as we normally do for excellent service.

Why not leave extra? Sounds like you talked to the right party and got things corrected to a situation you were much happier with. The Maitre D effectively resolved your issue while you were on the cruise. I'd consider that excellent and tip the staff more. But even though you got exactly what you wanted as an end result you made a personal judgment call, at your discretion, that it was not excellent and did not warrant further tips.

Just trying to follow this logic. If efficient service, that you specifically request, isn't "excellent", what is?

If someone removed the DSC without explanation, I would conclude they were cheap and exploiting a loophole.

Conclude what you like, but remember... just saying something doesn't make it true.

Here, one for you, too...

DSC_ENF.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

So,

if I oppose the fee for room service and remove it from the DSC its no good,

But

If say the food was cold, or took forever, or the deliver was a smuck, or got the wrong order, then those would be poor service.

Most people wouldn't come close to agreeing with the valuation you have placed on yourself. :p

well that's the problem with this whole thread, no one should care what someone else tip's and chooses to do with his or her money/DSC and certainly not what someone values his or her time.

$125 an hour is reasonable for many professional jobs so triptolemus is probably in the ball park. Give or take. ;)

My guess (even though it was hard to understand) is that the poster disagrees with the newly instituted fees (room service charge, 18 percent specialty restaurant charge, etc.) and is wondering if a reduction in the DSC is in order if they disagree with them, because they feel implementing them is poor service.

That was pretty much it. I've got a nasty head cold and I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders this morning...

DCS is part of the cruise fare?

IS IT?

If my cruise fare goes down, gets a price reduction, does the DSC amount go down and get a corresponding price reduction?

If so then yes it is part of the cruise fare.

If not then it is most certainly is not part and parcel of the cruise fare. It is added no matter the cost of the cabin, cruise etc...

If I prepay gratuities they are not added into the overall cost in the cruise fare line on the bill, they slide into the port fees and taxes area.

Why put them there?

OBC cannot be used to pay the cruise fare but can be used to pay the DSC?

Ok. thank you for the explanation. I certainly do not have the magic bullet here, but if you are asking my opinion, the best way to voice a complaint about the increases is to write NCL, post here on social media (as the poster has done), or take your business elsewhere. Removal of the DSC in protest or disagreement serves more to enrich the cruiser at the expense of the crew members than send a message to the Company.

And then there's this little gem...

Who decides what the amount is? How does one do that? I value my time at about $125 per hour, my wife's at $125 per hour. If I spend 1/2 hour waiting for cold food, no drinks, there's my piss poor service. Then add another 1/2 hour dicking around with management trying to "resolve" the poor service, I'm approaching 100% of the DSC according to my valuation.

I am an accountant, so here is my response, although not well founded in logic):

I you are on a 7 day cruise, you and your wife are on the ship for 168 hours (24x 7days). at $250 per hour, the value of the cruise would be $42,000. If you paid $42,000 for a one week cruise, then you are correct:)

DCS is part of the cruise fare?

IS IT?

If my cruise fare goes down, gets a price reduction, does the DSC amount go down and get a corresponding price reduction?

If so then yes it is part of the cruise fare.

If not then it is most certainly is not part and parcel of the cruise fare. It is added no matter the cost of the cabin, cruise etc...

If I prepay gratuities they are not added into the overall cost in the cruise fare line on the bill, they slide into the port fees and taxes area.

Why put them there?

OBC cannot be used to pay the cruise fare but can be used to pay the DSC?

A portion of every cruise fare is fixed and a portion is variable. Only the variable portion of the cruise fare is adjusted for marketing purposes. 100% of the DSC is fixed, so it is not adjusted.

I should have said that the DSC is a part of the cost of cruising.

A portion of every cruise fare is fixed and a portion is variable. Only the variable portion of the cruise fare is adjusted for marketing purposes. 100% of the DSC is fixed, so it is not adjusted.

I should have said that the DSC is a part of the cost of cruising.

So like parking at a port is part of the cost of cruising?

Ok. thank you for the explanation. I certainly do not have the magic bullet here, but if you are asking my opinion, the best way to voice a complaint about the increases is to write NCL, post here on social media (as the poster has done), or take your business elsewhere. Removal of the DSC in protest or disagreement serves more to enrich the cruiser at the expense of the crew members than send a message to the Company.

Thanks, I'm sure the poster will appreciate your answer.

I was not evading, but I did not think you were serious. Here is my, more serious response.

You should not expect to receive more in compensation than you paid for the service. That would be "punitive damages" and can only be assessed by a court of law. If you received poor service for a single meal, then the DSC allocable to the single meal is about $3.75+ or -. If you received poor service on one day and did nothing about it, then you should expect the same service on the following days. This then becomes the base line for measuring the level of services. If the service is just as poor on the following days, then it met the revised expectations and therefore the DSC should not be adjusted, because the service was as expected.

Punitive damages... $3.75 +or - Well $7.97 is + or - $3.75 so is the entire DSC is it not.

A court of law - now that's funny

According to whom? I mean, I actually agree that DSC removal should be tied to quality of service (and after an opportunity to correct poor service is afforded) but NCL do state it is discretionary and therefore what you've posted above is your opinion (which is fine, like I said I agree with most of it) but it does not represent the company policy accurately.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretionary

According to whom? Really? How about according to the guest? (This is why I said "IF...after exhausting all available avenues for addressing the service deficiency...the guest remains unsatisfied...")

And it does reflect company policy, because it IS company policy. Directly from the website:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

According to whom? Really? How about according to the guest? (This is why I said "IF...after exhausting all available avenues for addressing the service deficiency...the guest remains unsatisfied...")

And it does reflect company policy, because it IS company policy. Directly from the website:

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You should read the guest ticket contract and not the website FAQ. The contract is your binding agreement with NCL. It clearly states the charge is discretionary. The NCL Guest ticket contract is accessible at the bottom of the main NCL page. It was last revised 03/14

Policy or guideline? Who ultimately decided if the DSC is removed or not. NCL or me?

Policy or guideline? Who ultimately decided if the DSC is removed or not. NCL or me?

You ultimately decide.

Here are the binding terms and conditions of booking with NCL. Under services charges NCL states they are discretionary by the guest.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Is this the gratuities or something else?

It is the DSC. Daily Service Charges. These charges are optional at guest discretion. The default is for them to be automatically charged to your onboard account but you retain the right to opt out at your discretion. They can be modified or removed at your request. NCL takes this money, pools it, and uses internal metrics to decide how it is going to be distributed to guest facing, and some non-guest services staff. No one on this forum knows with certainty the mechanics, percentages, or distributions.

We only know that the guest ticket contract is the final binding contract between the guest and NCL, and that contract specifically states that service charges are at the guests discretion.

I have documentation from NCL that states the DSC is a gratuity, and I have documentation that does not state this. Many people will use the terms gratuity/tip interchangably with DSC.