OMG - my friend doesn't have plans

Tee & Chilli

Last year I booked my Alaska trip for May of this year. I read many threads, trip reports and information online.

A couple of months ago a friend and his wife decided to book the same cruise. When I asked him about excursions he said he wasn't a planner. I gave him some ideas and again he stated he'll decide later.

A few days ago I advised him he really should reconsider as many excursions fill up. This time he said they were too expensive.

I'm afraid my friend booked this without gathering information on the cost of Alaska. Our cruise leaves in 35 days.

Has anyone gone to Alaska with no plans? :rolleyes:

Hi, one of the reasons I love sailing on my own:).....I don't have to

worry or be concerned about what anyone else does (or doesn't do).;)

To be honest, I am going to Alaska next month too......I have 1 private

tour booked in Ketchikan and I have a very large obc to use up so my

other excursions are being booked after I board the ship. So, I do know

what I want to do but haven't booked anything else ahead of time.

(Although it sounds like your friend's haven't done much research) but

I think you have done what you can for them.....you told them things

sell out and suggested they book things now.....I would not worry about

it anymore.

Last year I booked my Alaska trip for May of this year. I read many threads, trip reports and information online.

A couple of months ago a friend and his wife decided to book the same cruise. When I asked him about excursions he said he wasn't a planner. I gave him some ideas and again he stated he'll decide later.

A few days ago I advised him he really should reconsider as many excursions fill up. This time he said they were too expensive.

I'm afraid my friend booked this without gathering information on the cost of Alaska. Our cruise leaves in 35 days.

Last year, I traveled with people who made no plan. I had my own cabin, and my own plans. Not my circus, not my monkeys. They shopped. :rolleyes: I did what I wanted. I planned a day in Ketchikan that they were welcome to join and they did join me. Then they shopped.

I repeat, not your circus, not your monkeys ;) Perhaps you could give them some links to low-cost things to do in each port?

You are sweet to be concerned, but I am assuming your friends are adults. They will have to deal with whatever does or doesn't pan out, in terms of excursions. Everyone has their own vacation styles, budgets etc. I know more than a few people who never do any excursions and are just happy wandering around ports on their own. I wish both you and your friends a great cruise.

I repeat, not your circus, not your monkeys.

LOVE this line ... never heard it before :) But how true.

Perhaps you could give them some links to low-cost things to do in each port?

Some people just want to say they've been to Alaska and cross it off their bucket list.

Some people enjoy the cruise itself and don't want to do anything more than wander around the town and shop.

We all have different travel styles, interests, and priorities. We all don't have to go heli dog-sledding or flightseeing to enjoy a visit to Alaska. It's their trip to enjoy in whatever way makes them happy.

As Cowprincess suggested, give them a diy idea at each port ... bus to Totem Bight in Ketchikan, shuttle to Mendehall Glacier, Skagway Goldrush Museum with a walk or bus to the Goldrush Museum.

Edited by mapleleaves

Truthfully, we have done AK 3x and are working on our 4th this May. We've gone with and without plans. There are expensive and inexpensive options galore! The only port that we have ever really felt hemmed into make plans was Skagway. Honestly, they may just be happy with the scenery as we were on our first trip.

Some cheap independent options that we have done:

Ketchikan.....public bus to Totem park less than $5pp r/t

Juneau.....Blue Bus to Mendenhall Glacier $20pp r/t

Sitka....walked the town to see the Russian Orthodox Church, National Park Museum, and explore the Totem park(bit of a walk...but there was a pedi-cab that would take you)

Thanks everyone..I'll give him those suggestions. He's now asked to share my rental car in Skagway - no way!

I'm doing my own thing on my schedule.

Ohhhh....so now he wants to share?.....I hope the friendship is there

after the cruise.......because I have to wonder if they are going to

depend on you for "their excursions":eek:

I did (twice)...

• I think you are on a HAL ship.... on my first sea day, we were invited to theatre where they discuss excursions with a big slide show. Yes many of the flight and marine excursions are sold out pre-cruise. Definately sign up for the Tracy Arm mid-ship excursion pre-cruise if this is excursion is available because it saves you beaucoup time in Juneau.
  • when I walked up to the tour desk... I found 90% of the ship excursions were available to choose the night before on both my AK trips. When I could not decide... I let others decide for me. So each day I would go to the tour desk. Which one is the near "sellout". I guess that's the better cruise to go on. Kinda like choosing restaurants by looking at which one has the biggest line up.
  • HAL offers the Behind the Seas tour. I think you need to book that one on the boat. On my Ketchikan stop... the tour was in the afternoon, so I booked an early Ketchikan excursion to accommodate it.
  • if you can't decide.... combo tours like the "Best of.... " is a good economical option.

Unless they plan to be a pest and try to piggyback on your excursions and plans, it seems to me that it is their problem, not yours.

DON

[xlxo

[*

[*]HAL offers the Behind the Seas tour. I think you need to book that one on the boat. On my Ketchikan stop... the tour was in the afternoon, so I booked an early Ketchikan excursion to accommodate it.

[

What is a Behind the Seas tour?

Edited by oaktreerb

Only thing that matters are your plans. :)

I've run into many people who do nothing in Alaska. A lot of remarks about costs, and then just stating- nope, I'm not spending THAT money. Well, over many years- I get emails, talk to people etc- they're talking a different talk on the second trip. ;) With clear mention of regrets.

Important- is to know yourself. Make the most of your short time, and don't waste time or money. ;) My style, does involve a lot of touring, and a lot of expense. It is my choice and my priority. Everyone is different and has to make their own choices. Just don't regret what you didn't or did do.

Regarding Tracy Arm excursion. I see many complain that most of Carnival's Alaska cruises don't include Glacier Bay but do Tracy Arm instead. Yet then I see people book Tracy Arm excursions from other ports.

There is the ability to take a round trip Tracy Arm boat tour out of Juneau. That is the only "other" port there is. Cruises with Tracy Arm on their itinerary, most all have the ability to add on to this cruise ship transit. at least one point of this tour- is from the boat tour, direct with on/off the cruise ship.

Yes, it is "interesting". There is a train of thought, that claims Glacier Bay is the only sailing that is worthwhile. Some seem to be from people who haven't even been there yet, or the only place they have sailed in Alaska. There is also the edge that somehow, their selections are so much better than the other sloppy seconds, sailing, Hubbard or Tracy Arm. :) I will continue to claim this isn't true.

OK, I am opinionated, but having been to all these places- each was never considered a waste and I enjoyed every experience and ability to see the beauty of Alaska.

I will mention- Tracy Arm in the boat tours, is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. So another issue with the added costs, that some people don't want to pay. Reason, I sometimes will point this out with cruise ship pricing when it's noted that the Glacier Bay itinerary is more.

What is a Behind the Seas tour?
Ooops... it's Behind the Scenes... it's also known as the captain's tour. Limited to a dozen people per cruise. It's a rare opportunity to explore the bridge, kitchen, engine control room and where they keep the beer.

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-buzz/2013/10/15/how-a-cruise-ship-works/2986403/

On my AK trip, the tour was something like 5 hours over 2 days. Loved the trip.

Found some pictures from another traveler's blog.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2010/12/22/dbas-cruise-diary-behind-the-scenes-tour/

Edited by xlxo

Yet then I see people book Tracy Arm excursions from other ports.
I prefer to see Glacier Bay as there are more glaciers, but HAL Glacier Bay passengers have the option to check out Tracy Arm/Sawyer too with a mid-ocean transfer enroute to Juneau.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935

This often sold out option saves you 50 miles in not retracing the between Tracy and Juneau. Others who visit Tracy from a Juneau tour miss out on Mendenhal, whale watches, other Juneau attractions due to time at Tracy.

Most of the cruises, that have Tracy Arm in their itinerary, still have a half day port time in Juneau, so enough time for a tour.

It can be an excellent choice to do the full day 8++ hour Tracy Arm boat tours. Depends how you wish to spend your time. :)

a bike with three or four seats....

https://www.facebook.com/SitkaPedicabs/photos_stream

The ones I usually see are 2 seaters, maybe 3 if kids are involved.

Too much pedaling for 4 people? :) :) I feel sorry for the Central Parks runners, going up some of the hills. :)

The ones I usually see are 2 seaters, maybe 3 if kids are involved.

Too much pedaling for 4 people? :) :) I feel sorry for the Central Parks runners, going up some of the hills. :)

Yes, the pedi-cab that was being used in Sitka had a driver and rear seats for 2 passengers.

To clarify... I was counting the driver in my earlier count.

Don't know about sitka... some pedicab have electric motors for hill assist. Vancouver has electric ones several years ago.

To clarify... I was counting the driver in my earlier count.

Don't know about sitka... some pedicab have electric motors for hill assist. Vancouver has electric ones several years ago.

Lol....sorry didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you.....just confirming what Budget Queen described. I didn't see any with electric motors.....but it was the first sailing into Sitka that year in May. So, they only had 2 pedi-cabs running and not their full staff just yet.