Lido Buffet etiquette question

knippsel

What is a Lido Buffet?;) Sorry. I'm afraid I may find out shortly on our first HAL cruise in decades. It will be our first voyage on a ship which closes the dining room at lunch-time on some days according to what I have read on CC. It wouldn't hurt us to skip lunch from time to time, but we have chosen late sitting for dinner so we might want a light meal at mid-day. Yes, I know there is the option of room service.

It is not solely because a lido experience can be a "bun fight" that we avoid them. I have a suspicion that buffets are conducive to the spread of norovirus. I can't prove this, of course, but from the horror stories I have read of passengers' behaviour I think it best to avoid them.

In my experience, the Lido is a good alternative to the main dining room. The food is served buffet style, some of it self serve, but a lot of it is handed to you by the cooks. If the ship goes into code red, passengers don't serve themselves at all. Yes, a few passengers "handle" the food, but most know how to act. I have rarely had trouble finding a place to sit, but I have no mobility problems or special requirements.

The Dive In is another good option for lunch, but definitely not a light meal unless you have better self-control than I have.

We don't eat in the Lido all that often but when we do it's situational. If it's crowded we'll try to find a table and then one of us will go through the line while the other table sits. If it's not crowded then we'll go through the line together and find a table afterwards.

Edited by Randyk47

What is a Lido Buffet?;) Sorry. I'm afraid I may find out shortly on our first HAL cruise in decades. It will be our first voyage on a ship which closes the dining room at lunch-time on some days according to what I have read on CC. It wouldn't hurt us to skip lunch from time to time, but we have chosen late sitting for dinner so we might want a light meal at mid-day. Yes, I know there is the option of room service.

Some people who have late sitting for dinner also go to the afternoon tea at 3 pm for a bit of food (sandwiches and sweets), or other food depending on the theme of the tea, to tie them over until dinner so that might be an option for you, if other options don't work for you.

There is a Taco Bar by the indoor pool on the Vista Class ships that is open until 6:30. They bring out the melted cheese to make nachos at 2:00 PM. The Dive In by the indoor pool for burgers and dogs that is open all afternoon on all HAL ships.

Years ago I enjoyed the HAL Lido but the staff cutbacks ( no tableside service on our last cruise other than a busboy picking up dirty dishes) are really disappointing. Get your food, then jump up and down for beverages, extra Silverware, whatever is missing. By the time you have the beverages the food is cold. So as far as I'm concerned people can grab whatever table they see before they start the process of getting food and drink.

Seems to be a lot of underlying resentment toward attractive young females. Hmm.

I guess I haven't been on enough HAL cruises. I've not experienced the feeling that the cruise is a struggle for scarce resources.

Or resentment toward how they are catered to for being attractive young females. And it sounds like you are okay with the entitlement of the attractive young females, and you have little regard for the elderly pax in the story. Hmmm. That's pretty clear too. ;)

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

No, No, No. No resentment from this gentleman to attractive young females.

What is objectionable is the action of the crew member.

If I am seated in a restaurant and asked to move to a different table because of whatever, that is the issue. Why should I have to surrender my place just because someone(s) wants it? The money I paid for that "spot" is equal to whatever they paid. (And, if the group were indeed crew/cast members, they would put an entirely different, and negative, spin on the situation. At least, in my opinion.)

I am still awaiting to learn if the person who made "the complaint" received a response and what the response was.

Thank you, you said that so much better than I could. All true.

Lorie

As you say some people get their table before their food. I don't think there is anything wrong with either method. Food First; Table First...... Usually, on person sits at the table while others get their food. Not much one can do to stop that.

Designated water carrier & table sitter here. I usually give our party a general idea of where I'll be, grab as much water as I can carry, and get a table. Then, when the others return, I get my meal.

I like to think of myself as a beacon, guiding the way - with 4 to 6 glasses of ice water to welcome the weary traveler.

No, No, No. No resentment from this gentleman to attractive young females.

What is objectionable is the action of the crew member.

If I am seated in a restaurant and asked to move to a different table because of whatever, that is the issue. Why should I have to surrender my place just because someone(s) wants it? The money I paid for that "spot" is equal to whatever they paid. (And, if the group were indeed crew/cast members, they would put an entirely different, and negative, spin on the situation. At least, in my opinion.)

I am still awaiting to learn if the person who made "the complaint" received a response and what the response was.

I spoke to the Lido Manager(not sure if that is the correct title) and explained what had occurred. He was appalled by the staff members actions and assured me the matter would be dealt with. He stated that there are never any reservations given for tables in the Lido.

I did see the group of young women searching for a table on other mornings, just like the rest of us.

I am perfectly willing to share a six top if anyone wants that but I do not want to be moved to a less desirable location for a special group.

First come, first choice of location and table.

So very true.

We're all on the ship together.

Why not make the journey as pleasant as possible ?

Why were the actions of the crew member objectionable? The party of 6 (whether they were young, old, male, female, pretty, ugly is immaterial) had need of a table large enough to seat them all together. The couple could have just as easily been accommodated at a smaller table. The large group needed the large table; they could not all have sat and eaten at a smaller one. And in order to get the larger table they needed, they enlisted the help of staff.

I do not see anything wrong with that. As for the water glasses, I have often been asked by the Lido staff if I wanted water or tea and whatever I requested appeared on the table when I returned with my meal.

I really don't see anything wrong with what the crew member did. The couple seated at the larger table could have said they would not move. But what is the ruder action here: being asked politely to move and not or taking more resources than you need and denying others?

We prefer to get our food first and than look for a seat.

We also look for a 2 top if available to avoid these type of issues, unless of course someone we have met invites us to join them.

I just asked my DH and he said he does not think the crew should be asking passengers to move. He thinks that should be between the passengers. But he thinks that needs to come down from the top.

I wasn't clear if the couple at the 6 top was willing to have a group share with them, and if it was a group of four young women would they have told them to go sit somewhere else, or allowed them to join at the table.

We would have moved to a 2 top if asked, and DH said he would rather have the available 2 top rather than sit with these women (assuming it was a group of 4)

I spoke to the Lido Manager(not sure if that is the correct title) and explained what had occurred. He was appalled by the staff members actions and assured me the matter would be dealt with. He stated that there are never any reservations given for tables in the Lido.

I did see the group of young women searching for a table on other mornings, just like the rest of us.

I am perfectly willing to share a six top if anyone wants that but I do not want to be moved to a less desirable location for a special group.

I missed the part about "reservations". It sounds like he was just trying to find these women a table so they could eat together.

Btw, my DH agrees with you and does not think staff should be asking passengers to move, but that it should be between the passengers.

If the group was four young women would you have allowed them to join you? The fact that you keep mentioning "young" women makes one question if your response would have been different if it was an elderly group of 6 and HC with scooters, etc (and needed space to store their scooters and wheelchairs away from the buffet line).

We would have moved to the 2 top so we could eat alone.

Edited by Jade13

I travel solo.... and I usually eat breakfast and lunch in the Lido. I usually gather up my first items - and find a place to sit. Like others I also leave a personal item there although I have found that now they are used to no trays the staff is a bit more careful about clearing. Usually there are people I know that join me,.... but if others ask to sit, the answer is always "of course". Met great people and sometimes a few not so great. If there are no empty tables when I arrive, I ask if I may share. Sometimes someone is holding the whole table for others, but most times the answer is yes. Not really a problem and after awhile you get to know people and it really is not an issue. Just keep smiling.

Susan

I missed the part about "reservations". It sounds like he was just trying to find these women a table so they could eat together.

Btw, my DH agrees with you and does not think staff should be asking passengers to move, but that it should be between the passengers.

If the group was four young women would you have allowed them to join you? The fact that you keep mentioning "young" women makes one question if your response would have been different if it was an elderly group of 6 and HC with scooters, etc (and needed space to store their scooters and wheelchairs away from the buffet line).

We would have moved to the 2 top so we could eat alone.

Our problem was with the reservation of a table---the group was not even in the Lido when all the moving went on. The staff member was clearly trying to hold a table for a group that was not even there yet.

That was my only objection.

We love to have company for meals and we would have moved if the group had asked us themselves.

It was strictly the reservation thing that was a problem.

Our problem was with the reservation of a table---the group was not even in the Lido when all the moving went on. The staff member was clearly trying to hold a table for a group that was not even there yet.

That was my only objection.

We love to have company for meals and we would have moved if the group had asked us themselves.

It was strictly the reservation thing that was a problem.

Do you know for a fact that at least one member of the group had not seen the Lido worker while she was preparing to get her food and asked for help in securing a table large enough for everyone in her group?

I suppose that is a remote possibility.

The fact that I saw the group enter the Lido doors and then seat themselves with no food or drink in hand made me think otherwise. They all dispersed to get food and drink after they sat down.

Seemed like a reservation situation to me.

Because DH is in a wheelchair, I have to get him seated first, in an area of the Lido that is accessible.

Sometimes it's impossible - which is why we don't often eat in the Lido.

When there were trays, I was able to get his food and mine, take it back to the table and eat lunch with him.

Now I wait in line for his food, take it back to him, then get in line for mine.

So we dine in shifts.

Another reason to have lunch in the MDR when it is open. :)

I have to wonder if the "six young ladies" were singers and dancers from the cast.

It's unusual to find "six young" ladies who are passengers on a HAL cruise.

But you must remember, in the context of a HAL ship, "young ladies" might well be in their 50's:D

That is true. I don't like to share a table with someone I don't know at the Lido when I'm traveling solo, but I don't take any big tables. I feel it is your good right to take on if you want so and don't mind sharing. It would be a different thing if you would object if someone would sit down.

I am totally with you on this one, I wouldn't be happy either.

The only case where I would give up me seat is when someone with reduced mobility or a scooter needs it for obvious reasons. Then I'll be more than happy to move.

Edited by headhunterke

I think some assumptions may have been made and we don't have enough verifiable information to know exactly what happened. We cannot condemn a Lido worker for a bad choice when we really don't know the whole story.

I'd like to reserve judgment and not think the worse.

Not that my opinion matters, but I agree with Sail. It's possible that this wasn't a "reservation". Maybe someone simply grabbed a staff member (which wasn't seen but doesn't mean it didn't happen) and asked for helped and was accommodated. Doesn't sound like anyone was rude or disresceptful when you told them you didn't want to move.....he just moved on to someone else. If a group was to come in and has a member of their group in a wheelchair and requested help finding a talble and was told "sorry, we can't help you", there would be outrage that they didn't try to help. Wasn't like he demanded that someone moved,, he simply asked . I think there is always two sides to a story and in this case, the poor worker may have been just trying to be helpful and ended up being on the losing end of the stick. By trying to help one group of passengers he upset another. Sometimes you just can't win....

Maybe this comment about this topic is relevant or not, but I will make it anyway.

In comparison to my past cruising history that dates from 1970, it has been my observation that in the Lido Restaurant, not just on HAL ships, but others as well, people seem "content" to wander around the dining venue in search of a table when there are obvious other tables not fully occupied that they could have asked if they could share.

Also, sitting at the Ocean Bar or the Crow's Nest Bar, or wherever: it has become increasingly more difficult in recent years to strike up a conversation with other guests. Even the bartenders seem less interested in conversing with their customers. (Even when they are not busy.)

I don't understand why I am observing this. Are some people cruising today more insular than those of, say, 10-15 years ago?

Or resentment toward how they are catered to for being attractive young females. And it sounds like you are okay with the entitlement of the attractive young females, and you have little regard for the elderly pax in the story. Hmmm. That's pretty clear too. ;)

Lorie

I'm a male chauvinist pig. Oink. I didn't pick up that the elderly were being abused. That's not good if true. I hope to be elderly myself one day. Were they forced to move against their will? No excuse for that.

Not that my opinion matters, but I agree with Sail. It's possible that this wasn't a "reservation". Maybe someone simply grabbed a staff member (which wasn't seen but doesn't mean it didn't happen) and asked for helped and was accommodated. Doesn't sound like anyone was rude or disresceptful when you told them you didn't want to move.....he just moved on to someone else. If a group was to come in and has a member of their group in a wheelchair and requested help finding a talble and was told "sorry, we can't help you", there would be outrage that they didn't try to help. Wasn't like he demanded that someone moved,, he simply asked . I think there is always two sides to a story and in this case, the poor worker may have been just trying to be helpful and ended up being on the losing end of the stick. By trying to help one group of passengers he upset another. Sometimes you just can't win....

Of course, your opinion matters........

especially when it agrees with mine. :D :D