Caribbean Menu- Do You like it or Not?

geocruiser

Do you like the new Caribbean menu  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Caribbean menu

• Liked it.
    • Did not like it.
    • Like some of the dishes, but not all of it

I tried one, a sesame chicken appetizer with a yummy lime chili dipping sauce. I enjoyed that but none of the others really even appealed to me enough to try.

I'll be happy when I'm sailing on a transatlantic next year to not have those as menu options (but hopefully other, better choices in their place).

While the food we ate was enjoyable, we were underwhelmed by the menu.

Normally, it's difficult to choose among the options because they all sound appealing...not so with the Caribbean menu.

We tried once. The dish was called "Mufongo" or something like that, and we had it in the MDR. The 4 other couples at our table watched with interest as we tasted it, made faces, and ordered something else. I'll try almost anything once. In this case, once was enough.

Good night for the buffet. :D

I think it was almost every night on last week's cruise....having the Caribbean menu. The new shrimp cocktail was a nice change but I am sure traditionalists would not like it.

The Global Street Food option I think is a cool way to perk up the menu.

While there were a couple of things we didn't care for (one of the roti wraps was way too spicy for me and the Bahamaian fish stew with its missing Johnnycake was not worthwhile), in general we very much enjoyed the new offerings. I would try at least one new item every night just to mix up the same old-same old Princess menu.

You can't avoid it by going to the buffet one night...there are Caribbean menu items every night. Of course, most of the standards are still there, too, which is what puzzles me about all the complaints. I wouldn't eat lamb or (generally) veal or pork on a dare, but don't mind them being on the menu as long as there is at least one thing I do like (and salmon and chicken are always options).

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Haven't had the opportunity to try it. However, if there was a chance to get something that was actually spicy (doubtful) I would certainly give it a try. I've never found anything even remotely spicy on Princess.

Just back from the Regal last week. Not overly impressed with the 50th Anniversary/Caribbean menu. They have a Caribbean shrimp cocktail which was okay, but you must ask for the standard shrimp cocktail, as it is not on the menu.

The other Caribbean items did not excite us. On the other hand, the food on the Buffet was the best we ever had. Great selections and spread out (see my review - neilrr 4/15). Thank goodness they kept some of their best dishes from the old menu.

The MDR was very good but Rack of Lamb was missing and on the 1st formal night you only had a choice of two entrees Medallions of Beef or a Fish dish, though you could order off of the "everyday menu" too.

We personally like the old menu(s) better -- great motto - " if it ain't broken; don't fix it... :)

Happy Sailing!!! :)

I like Caribbean food, especially Cuban, and I eat it regularly in Houston. I was on the Royal in late January and ordered Puerto Rican Mofongo, Jamaican Seafood Soup, and Cuban Roast Pork for entrées on three different nights. What they served me would not be acceptable at an $8 a plate Latin café in Houston or Miami or Fort Lauderdale. I would have liked the Caribbean menu if they would have served me Caribbean food, what they tried to pass for Cuban Roast Pork was uneatable and I gave up after three tries. If Princess wants to serve Caribbean food they need to learn how to cook it. In my opinion the problem was not the menu, it was the chef who did not know how to prepare it.

We did not love it. Some things were great (the Turbot!) but overall we didn't look forward to it. The fish/crab/lobster "pate" or whatever that was towards the end was AWFUL! I mean straight AWFUL! We are going to start skipping Italian night. not impressed again. 0-2.

I wish I had a dollar for all the times folks asked for food from the region in the past. Lots of folks wanted spicey food, Mexican or island food. Now princess adds it to the menu and some are upset. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

It looks like less than a third of the choices on the nightly menus are Caribbean, it should work for us next week. I see things I really want to try, the roti wrap and there is a shrimp appetizer the first night. And looking forward to some of the old classics, prime rib, french onion soup, beef Wellington, etc.

There was not one Caribbean item..or entree each nigh/t. There might have been One "ordinary" entree...One night Spicy Goat Curry was on the menu.

I know that marks me as untraveled and not adventuresome, but I did not buy passages for five people to go on a cruise and eat Goat curry, spicy or not.

And I have fussed about the food so much, I fear the Chef might be fired. Part of my group went to a cooking demonstration with him. They loved the food and the Chef.

Someone went nuts on that Menu. The food was bad.It was not cooked right or just not good when cooked anyway.

I hope they return to an American/Italian/ Canadian/ European/Indian/ Asian/Mexican menu.

How is that not multicultural and diverse?

AND.......Cabin A+ entertainment A+ Buffet A+ Coffee Shop A+

International Cafe A+ Shore Excursion A + Getting on the ship & Getting off of the Ship A ++++++

IF I knew what I know now.......At least Two nights in Afredo's , one night in the Steak House. One night at Sabotini's. Two nights in the Buffet... and one night at the Crab Shack.

We are on the Royal and have enjoyed the Caribbean menu. The roti wraps are wonderful. There are still plenty of the usual menu items! I didn't find anything too spicy just flavorful.

Cheers, Denise

I don't think that's the goal. The food is supposed to be regional.

I get that. One regional dish instead of an entire menu...or most of the menu regional was too much. For me. And the appetizers and the soups............overkill

And I am one person. Of little importance to Princess. My next cruise will not be on Princess due to that menu. But Princess will tweak that menu or come out with a new menu and I will sail with them again...........God Willing.

It seems to me..........Princess had the Perfect Product. Entertainment. Food. Activities. STaff. Ports. Why did they have to change so much? How is that working out?

And I mean.........Live shows and games..on TV instead of Live activities interacting with live people.

And the Menu. How many people watch Princess Live TV in their cabins? But how many people go to a live in person Trivia match.?

Still love Princess. Always will.