RCL CEO'S compensation package

Just for context:

Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, was compensated $9.22m in 2014 (in salary and shares).

Apple is the world's biggest, most value, company that's making money hand over fist.

$12m for the Royal Caribbean CEO seems a bit steep.

Just for context:

Apple is the world's biggest, most value, company that's making money hand over fist.

Top 100 CEO's all made more than $19 million last year. You can't compare this to one company. Also if you look at just the salary it was under $1million. The rest came from stock options and bonuses which can fluctuate widely from year to year. Royal had a great year last year in terms of its financial performance and share price and the CEO was compensated accordingly.

Sad for us that he is making out for reducing our wait/cabin staff and cheapening the food choices :(

I know a lot of people say that cruising is cheaper now, and maybe it is, but I find that I am less willing to spend more money. My first cruise on RC was in an OS and I paid whatever the TA told me to. Now I really look for deals and I tend to book E/D or JS only. I still like Royal but I won't pay top dollar for the decreased services/food.

Edited by marci22

Just for context:

Hey, a guy's gotta eat...

Edited by HiCSailor
The struggle is real. ;)

Just for context:

How about the almost $400 million in stock grants he received a few years back?

Does anyone belive that if he had made let's say $1, it would have any impact on cruise prices or the compensation of any one else in the company?:rolleyes:

Yes, it all adds up, doesn't it? They'll take away a $25 obc for changing your room category. Seems petty but all those little cuts got him his bonuses this year.

well for those who have an issue with his salary, your always more than welcome to start your own competing cruise line and pay your CEO much less.. i too think its a lot of money but at the end of the day hes got what 60000 employees and how many hundreds of thousands of customers, stockholders, etc? i think if i had all that on my plate i would think its a fair salary too, idk?

ben and jerrys had a salary cap quite some time ago on there CEO but lifted it when they couldn't find a replacement CEO. welcome to capitalism, lol...

Well he's running out of things to cut so we'll see how sustainable it is in view of retaining customers. I don't think the room stewards/bar servers/waiters can handle any more of a workload. Drinks are now all $10 and up. Can't really charge $15 plus tip (or maybe you can).

Looks like the food will have to be in the next round of cost savings (as it usually is). I was always a food cheerleader but our last cruise (last summer) I noticed a significant decline. Seems to be the general opinion lately.

Yes, it all adds up, doesn't it? They'll take away a $25 obc for changing your room category. Seems petty but all those little cuts got him his bonuses this year.

Do you think you'd get your OBC back if his salary was cut to $1?

All of this is just a lot of hot air. If you paid all three executives one dollar, your cruise fare would drop by $4 per person per cruise.

The Richest 1 Percent of Americans Pay 24 Percent of Federal Taxes. If they didn't pay, would you like your tax bill to go up 24%?

Edited by steveru621

If you paid all three executives one dollar, your cruise fare would drop by $4 per person per cruise.

No it wouldn't - all the savings would be paid out in dividends to shareholders or it would just be used to pay off debt - it would have zero effect on pricing.

What TOTAL B.S. that they an continue to cut the quality of what they provide to their customers ... nickel and dime-ing, raising prices on drinks, lowering food and service quality, etc .. yet STILL pay this figurehead clown such an exhorbitant salary.

Why doesn't someone explain exactly why the CEO of this (or any cruise line) should be paid THAT much. What makes one person worth that amount of money .. when the product quality is continuing to decline ?

Its just so easy to look at what cruises rci whiners have booked and when you see they continue to sail rci, one can really see the importance of the post:rolleyes:;)

How so ?

You know, I've never understood that stat. Shouldn't you compare how much that 1% makes?

Good question. The top 1% earn almost 15% of the income and pay almost 24% of the taxes. They pay more in taxes because they have more income. To put it in context, the top 20 percent earned 51.9 percent of income and paid 69 percent of taxes. Unlike many European countries, there isn't a maximum that CEOs can be paid in the US, it is entirely up to the Board of Directors. Unfortunately, IMO, CEO pay is based on short term profits and not how the CEOs contribution will affect the company in 5, 10 or 20 years or how long the CEO stays with the company.

It's fun to read others take on the company but as a consumer you have choices. If you don't like how a company is performing don't buy their stock. If you don't like how they operate then don't buy their product. Simple.

What TOTAL B.S. that they an continue to cut the quality of what they provide to their customers ... nickel and dime-ing, raising prices on drinks, lowering food and service quality, etc .. yet STILL pay this figurehead clown such an exhorbitant salary.

Why doesn't someone explain exactly why the CEO of this (or any cruise line) should be paid THAT much. What makes one person worth that amount of money .. when the product quality is continuing to decline ?

Because the bean counters don't care a whole lot about the product quality. They're concerned with the profit margins and return on investments. As long as the money is rolling in and well into the black, that's their concern. Prices continue to go up, quality goes down, a few of us on Cruise Critic complain, and they laugh all the way to the bank. Hmm----sounds like Disney business ethics here--oh wait, they have no ethics.

No it wouldn't - all the savings would be paid out in dividends to shareholders or it would just be used to pay off debt - it would have zero effect on pricing.

Oh brother! It's just an example of how little executive compensation impacts prices. I believe you get my point without trying to one up me.

Since it's all theoretical, why couldn't all the money go to the dishwashers?

Because the bean counters don't care a whole lot about the product quality. They're concerned with the profit margins and return on investments. As long as the money is rolling in and well into the black, that's their concern. Prices continue to go up, quality goes down, a few of us on Cruise Critic complain, and they laugh all the way to the bank. Hmm----sounds like Disney business ethics here--oh wait, they have no ethics.

You nailed it. Unfortunately!

Welcome to 2015, and just about every freaking company today is doing the same! Any company is cheaping out where they, can so they can pay more to the top and stockholders; screw there customers and products made well to last! I wonder how all these new ships will be in 5 years? I bet issues!