Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

Awe don't feel bad, on one cruise we were not invited to any thing either and we are 5 * and the only ones on board.

So sorry to hear this. You have to wonder sometimes: just how HAL thinks!

We have found the ship short staffed. We are not complaining and haven't said anything but it was routinely taking an hour at dinner just to get an appetizer. One night it was so bad that everyone was appologizing and the next day another server was brought into the section and has stayed. We are surrounded by large tables: a 12 top, an 8 and two 6s.

Our cabin is never done until 12:30 or 1:00. Our poor cabin Sewards have half our deck to do, just the two of them! As a result our laundry takes over 24 hours to be returned. The batch we put together before dinner yesterday (early dinner) has not been returned and it is now 9 PM the next evening. Our steward told me today that they are getting more stewards boarding in Puerto Vallarta.

Edited by 1of4

I agree: lousy public relations.

From our experience lately, HAL is doing much better with the invites for 5 stars.! The new problem is the Cooking Classes.

What is the problem with cooking classes? New to HAL and was very interested in these and how they work, cost etc.

So sorry to hear this. You have to wonder sometimes: just how HAL thinks!

We have found the ship short staffed. We are not complaining and haven't said anything but it was routinely taking an hour at dinner just to get an appetizer. One night it was so bad that everyone was appologizing and the next day another server was brought into the section and has stayed. We are surrounded by large tables: a 12 top, an 8 and two 6s.

Our cabin is never done until 12:30 or 1:00. Our poor cabin Sewards have half our deck to do, just the two of them! As a result our laundry takes over 24 hours to be returned. The batch we put together before dinner yesterday (early dinner) has not been returned and it is now 9 PM the next evening. Our steward told me today that they are getting more stewards boarding in Puerto Vallarta.

Awe don't worry I got over it a long time ago. Some Captains and Staff are more intune with things going on around their ships and other are not or seemingly don't care.

Sorry about your dinner service, makes it kind of hard when you have kids.

Hey, getting my cabin cleaned around 12 or 1 pm is great for me. I always advise them that I'm a late riser and don't care what time they come to make up my bed.:) I'm sure that gives them some leeway to take care of other cabins that passengers insist on early cleaning's. You are absolutely right though, they are streched thin and have many cabins to take care of.

Kazu, nobody says you can't stand on the outskirts of the Explorer's Lounge and cheer for 0bnxshs as he gets his medallion. I'm sure the crowd in the lounge would enjoy all the enthusiasm.

Woohoo, Captain Van Eerten on keeping up the tooting for all the sailaway gang. .......and yes, the Eagle has landed.

Kazu, as a retired teacher and a demo for a company that supports schools and hospitals in other countries I am so in awe of you. What a truly wonderful person you, and the other members of your roll call, are. Thank you for your support of these children.

I am a retired elementary school librarian. I donate books to a program called "room to read". It is so rewarding to help schools in these areas. The children are so appreciative. congratulations to all of you for doing this!:)

What is the problem with cooking classes? New to HAL and was very interested in these and how they work, cost etc.

cooking classes (hands on) are $29 and there are openings on our cruise.

The issue is for the 5* who I believe are supposed to receive complimentary ones.

Our invitation says "Observation Deck 10 Forward, Starboard side" - I was dreading being outside in formal duds, but I went up to look, and they are setting up in the Captain's Corner, on the port side of the Crow's Nest! (Sigh of relief). Or maybe we are relegated to the great outdoors and the a/c is only for 5 star!

The invitation for the Mariners' reception and lunch has also arrived. This ship is more organized than the Maasdam was on our last cruise.

The reception ended up being in the Crow's Nest. Captain asked me if there were enough toots :) We gave him a big thumbs up :). We were sitting next to Vict0riann so they got the A/C as well ;)

We're in Huatulco today, until 3, and it's supposed to go up to 93. I haven't even peeped through the curtains, I'm trying to keep the room cool. I'm not sure I will go ashore, or perhaps just for a little while.

We had a nice cocktail party with Captain van Eerten last night, he was complimented on his tooting prowess! The Crow's Nest was not terribly crowded. After dinner we joined some others of the Gang for the show (Abba imitators - very good) and then this rowdy bunch went to the piano bar for a nightcap. Our latest evening so far - almost midnight before we retired. The ship was pretty dead as we walked back.

cooking classes (hands on) are $29 and there are openings on our cruise.

The issue is for the 5* who I believe are supposed to receive complimentary ones.

The first cruise after getting to 5 stars, not one word about the complimentary cooking class; the next cruise we were called shortly after boarding to tell us about it and asked if wanted to attend, as lots of non 5 stars wanted the class. We did not do it.

I am sitting on the verandah watching the sun rise in Huatulco. The temperature is also rising! Many deep sea fishing charters have gone past. We were docked early. We have nothing planned here except the beach with DD and DS.

We are really hoping to get our laundry back that was taken in on Monday before dinner as we are running out of some items. In any case we will have to ask for a laundry bag and she so we don't run out of dark clothes too.

we heard no toots yesterday as we were in the dining room. I guess the ship has good insulation! :p

I am sitting on the verandah watching the sun rise in Huatulco. The temperature is also rising! Many deep sea fishing charters have gone past. We were docked early. We have nothing planned here except the beach with DD and DS.

We are really hoping to get our laundry back that was taken in on Monday before dinner as we are running out of some items. In any case we will have to ask for a laundry bag and she so we don't run out of dark clothes too.

we heard no toots yesterday as we were in the dining room. I guess the ship has good insulation! :p

Is there any of those comment cards around? Might be a good idea to fill one out the comment on the turnaround. It always seems to be a struggle to get laundry bags. I always leave a note on the laundry bag asking for a new one,

We're in Huatulco today, until 3, and it's supposed to go up to 93. I haven't even peeped through the curtains, I'm trying to keep the room cool. I'm not sure I will go ashore, or perhaps just for a little while.

We had a nice cocktail party with Captain van Eerten last night, he was complimented on his tooting prowess! The Crow's Nest was not terribly crowded. After dinner we joined some others of the Gang for the show (Abba imitators - very good) and then this rowdy bunch went to the piano bar for a nightcap. Our latest evening so far - almost midnight before we retired. The ship was pretty dead as we walked back.

That's one of my favourite ports . I hope you get ashore for a while.

Breakfast was a great success. I decided that today would be the day for my cruise treat -a waffle. I asked, as I always do, if there was "real" maple syrup, expecting the usual dubious look, and finally, a grudging search, perhaps in another kitchen. But no, today the server picked up a ladle and swirled a tub of maple syrup keeping warm! Also whipped butter, so everything was still piping hot when I got back to our table in the Lido restaurant. I am a happy cruiser - I may even have to do it again. Have to wonder if perhaps there are crew members who have caused this to happen... Way to go, Westerdam!

Probably because Mark Pells is the Hotel Director. How was the Meet and Greet with him in charge? Many times when I arranged the M & G on the Noordam, he outdid himself. Mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, the whole nine yards!

I haven't been keeping up much as we are moving...moving truck coming at 8 AM!

Sheila, when I mentioned you and DH to Mark he grinned and said to say hello back. :)

I haven't seen any posts from Scrapnana nor is her blog updated. Is she well? A little worried here.

Just spoke to her a few moments ago regarding changing the time of the cabin crawl. She sounded fine to me and didn't mention any problems. :)