Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

For everyone shopping for Mexican Vanilla, make SURE it does not contain coumarin, which, according to the FDA, is toxic and banned in the US. I think most (all?) of the better brands now puts a sticker on their bottles saying it's coumarin-free. Also, for the purest vanilla, you want the kind without corn syrup.

Back when you could easily hall liquor to the US in a carry-on bag on the plane, we'd always bring back a bottle of good tequila and a bottle of Kahlua. Too much of a hassle these days, though. :(

We warned about this a few years ago -- on a repositioning cruise on the Westerdam.

Glad you have brought this to everyone's attention.

I promised I would follow up on the Canadian Customs situation.

My travel agent phoned Seattle and the person she spoke to had no idea why the ship staff would be requesting the forms so early and be telling people to just make an estimate of what their spending would be and then sign a post dated form.

This morning just before we left the ship I had a call from the guest relations manager who had been speaking with Seattle as a result of my agent's intervention.

She apologised for her staff giving me incorrect instructions and agreed that it was a big no no to do what they were suggesting. She then thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said they would be addressing the issue.

I promised faithfully that as soon as the ship departed San Diego and I was done shopping, I would hand in my correct, complete form. She was happy with that.

Glad that your TA called Seattle.

I still shake my head over the fact that you all were expected to sign declaration forms one week in advance.

Doesn't vanilla have alcohol and water? I think it has to. :confused:

Some have corn syrup and then again, some have coumarin. :eek:

have no idea Sail to be honest. The only ingredient showing on our bottles is vanilla. It is pure vanilla extract.

AND NOW FOR SAIL A WAY

Yup, another fund sail a way with some of the 'gang'.

Captain was a bit formal until the pilot tooted back at him and then we had a medley going :) Sort of a short version of the one he does out of FLL.

Great toots - great sail a way - great company. Life is good :)

Glad that your TA called Seattle.

I still shake my head over the fact that you all were expected to sign declaration forms one week in advance.

I couldn't figure out how they wanted people to do that. So wrong.

I would wonder whose idea that was?

It's for canadian (?) travellers that spend a lot of time going back and forth over the Canada/USA border. It moves you through customs and sometime security faster.

I also wondered what a Nexus card was.

Thank you for explaining.

It's actually for both US and Canadian citizens. It's listed as a "Trusted Traveler" card and requires a background check and in-person interviews with both US and Canadian border staff. It's primarily designed for land crossings and airports but is supposed to be WHTI compliant ID card. As a "trusted traveler" there's a NEXUS line for security in Canadian airports and it authorizes holders to use TSA precheck lines and Global Entry kiosks at airports.

While not near the Canadian border I got mine in 2011 when I planned my 2012 Zaandam far east cruise, and also had a Caribbean Cruise a couple of months earlier. I was concerned about having my passport out of service for visa processing, and got the NEXUS as a secondary ID.

With the privileges it gives as a trusted traveler I would not want to risk getting caught making an untrue statement on a customs declaration.

Roy

Lizzie, I consider myself a patient person but you are a saint putting up with so much. IMO you and anyone else in your cabin are entitled to a per diem refund for each day you were without a basic service like hot water or inconvenienced with repairs. Anything less is unacceptable. If I were you my HAL sailing days would be done. I sincerely hope they do right by you.

LIzzie is a Saint indeed. We have one person complaining constantly. The hotel didn't suit. HAL didn't clean out the mini bar soon enough, drinks don't come fast enough, etc. Lizzie on the other hand has only shared with a few of us and this thread. She always has a smile on her face and jokes about it. I fear I would not be so tolerant. She is not going around complaining and has a real problem. She has such a great attitude. Her attitude is I'm on vacation and I'm not going to waste my time complaining. I want to cruise with her again.!!!

The concierges love her as anyone else would be ranting and raving.

I am glad she has been compensated BUT I will be more happy if she has hot water for the rest of her cruise. I think she had 4 plumbers in her room today !

I am taking some lessons from her.

Edited by kazu

I hope the four plumbers can put their wrenches in the right place and get hot water into Lizzie's cabin. It's truly a bad situation that it has gone on for so long. Instead of everyone loving the person who is good natured and doesn't complain, way BETTER they get it fixed.

It's actually for both US and Canadian citizens. It's listed as a "Trusted Traveler" card and requires a background check and in-person interviews with both US and Canadian border staff. It's primarily designed for land crossings and airports but is supposed to be WHTI compliant ID card. As a "trusted traveler" there's a NEXUS line for security in Canadian airports and it authorizes holders to use TSA precheck lines and Global Entry kiosks at airports.

While not near the Canadian border I got mine in 2011 when I planned my 2012 Zaandam far east cruise, and also had a Caribbean Cruise a couple of months earlier. I was concerned about having my passport out of service for visa processing, and got the NEXUS as a secondary ID.

With the privileges it gives as a trusted traveler I would not want to risk getting caught making an untrue statement on a customs declaration.

Roy

Yes, Roy, it's a great thing to have these days for ease of driving across the border, especially. You do have to be extremely careful to follow all the rules though, or you can lose it in an instant. I heard of one woman crossing the border at Blaine who was eating an apple, and the officer took it and her Nexus card! She was having to jump through hoops to try to get it back (and of course, pay all over again).

I hope the four plumbers can put their wrenches in the right place and get hot water into Lizzie's cabin. It's truly a bad situation that it has gone on for so long. Instead of everyone loving the person who is good natured and doesn't complain, way BETTER they get it fixed.

totally agree. ridiculous really.

On another point before I forget. I have done my conversions and calculations and you are far better off to pay in pesos than American dollars.

American dollars are pricey for us Canadians anyways and I believe in using the currency of the country I am in. The math has proven itself out and I am glad I used the ATM to get more Mexican pesos.

The shock on the faces from storekeepers, restaurants, etc was amazing.

Pesos? you have pesos? oh, here is the price. LOL

I always use the currency of the country and definitely it is worthwhile.

Example, we stopped at the port to have a margarita - yup, we caved (and it was delicious). He told us the price was $16 USD. I said no pesos, the cost was close to $13 USD. Big difference no?

DH is getting ready so it is Adagio time - going to the Canaletto tonight with 0bnxshs (pity them my friends).

Adios for now.

Roy

Thx for the clarification. I just knew what I wanted it for :D.

Yes, Roy, it's a great thing to have these days for ease of driving across the border, especially. You do have to be extremely careful to follow all the rules though, or you can lose it in an instant. I heard of one woman crossing the border at Blaine who was eating an apple, and the officer took it and her Nexus card! She was having to jump through hoops to try to get it back (and of course, pay all over again).

I bring some dried sealed fruit and a few munchies when I cruise. I make sure I declare that. While going thru usa customs in Toronto the guy thanked me for being honest. It's the only way in my mind. If you watch the show border security you'll get another impression.

Thanks for the invitation!

Having been on that exact cruise twice (once the Westerdam), I am tempted. PathfinderEss will know what I mean when I say it was the best!

We book our cruises late in the game, but I would like to read along on the RollCall!

Thanks again for the outstanding work you have done and are still doing for this Panama cruise. It is a pleasure coming along for the ride, although dam hard to keep up with you guys!!

I can whole hardily concur with SilvertoGold, that cruise on the Westerdam was awesome, with another one of Hal's great Captain's (PJ).

LIzzie is a Saint indeed. We have one person complaining constantly. The hotel didn't suit. HAL didn't clean out the mini bar soon enough, drinks don't come fast enough, etc. Lizzie on the other hand has only shared with a few of us and this thread. She always has a smile on her face and jokes about it. I fear I would not be so tolerant. She is not going around complaining and has a real problem. She has such a great attitude. Her attitude is I'm on vacation and I'm not going to waste my time complaining. I want to cruise with her again.!!!

The concierges love her as anyone else would be ranting and raving.

I am glad she has been compensated BUT I will be more happy if she has hot water for the rest of her cruise. I think she had 4 plumbers in her room today !

I am taking some lessons from her.

I know who is complaining and I also know Lizzie is a Saint. Not many of us would deal as well as she has with all these continuing problems. From now on we should call her Saint Lizzie.

I forgot about Mexican vanilla. My dh used to bring it home when he traveled there for business. $1 for a very large bottle. Back in the 80's.

Nearly 99% of the vanilla sold in Mexico is imitation vanilla flavour and should be left in Mexico. If you want initiation flavour vanilla, just buy the generic stuff at your local supermarket.

I bring some dried sealed fruit and a few munchies when I cruise. I make sure I declare that. While going thru usa customs in Toronto the guy thanked me for being honest. It's the only way in my mind. If you watch the show border security you'll get another impression.

They don't have that show in the US (at least, not that I've seen) but we were in Victoria a few weeks ago and caught 3 to 4 episodes. I was amazed by the number of people lying to the Border Agents. They have a difficult job. We were pulled into the office one year when going to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise. My husband had just suffered a triple fracture of his leg and was using one of those knee scooters to get around. The Border Agent was very apologetic for putting us so far away from the door. We still don't know why we got questioned other than it was our first visit to Canada. It was scary thinking they would send us back and we would miss our cruise. They asked us a few questions and sent us on our way.

They don't have that show in the US (at least, not that I've seen) but we were in Victoria a few weeks ago and caught 3 to 4 episodes. I was amazed by the number of people lying to the Border Agents. They have a difficult job. We were pulled into the office one year when going to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise. My husband had just suffered a triple fracture of his leg and was using one of those knee scooters to get around. The Border Agent was very apologetic for putting us so far away from the door. We still don't know why we got questioned other than it was our first visit to Canada. It was scary thinking they would send us back and we would miss our cruise. They asked us a few questions and sent us on our way.

Wasn't sure if you folks got the show or not. I don't catch it often but I'm amazed at what people try to get away with.

I checked the vanilla I purchased and it doesn't have any of the ingredients shared earlier. Phew.

we finally were on deck for sailaway and heard the horns. First time since Fort Lauderdale. We have early dining so we are usually getting ready for dinner and the horns cannot be heard inside the ship.

The 8:00 show tonight was magnificent. All Elton John and Billy Joel. After bringing DD and DS to Club Hal we were lucky enough to share an elevator with BobE and his DW and they were heading to the Vista Lounge as well. No sooner had we sat down Tom joined us as well. Made the shop even better. We even caught some of BBKing before heading back to Club Hal.

Great night. But no key in the lock of our verandah door, no 4th tile so back to the front desk tomorrow. Good thing as I want to get my declaration form back. Since I had to fill in a new one I dated it yesterday not knowing the printed ones were post dated to April 30th. I thought there would be something in our mailbox but no. I want to fill it out correctly, which is not what HAL wants, apparently.

Thanks Sapper1 for the information.

Tomorrow is our 4th formal night. Then I can pack up the formal gear and send it home with DH.

I agree about the show, 1of4. Really sorry I felt bad the night they did ABBA. We've talked to them after trivia and they are a nice group of people. Standing ovation at the 10pm show.

Quiet day onboard (only got off for about an hour) but enjoyed the quiet of the ship.

The Future Cruise lady needs to set up more hours. I have been twice on different days. She's not there and her sign up sheet is always full. I want to actually talk with her not just fill in a piece of paper as suggested.

One last thing. Would someone please explain to me where the last two weeks went? It seems like yesterday the "Gang" was eating at Kelley's Landing and now there is a week (or less for some) left. :eek: I think we should have an annual "sail-away gang" cruise.:)

I checked the vanilla I purchased and it doesn't have any of the ingredients shared earlier. Phew.

we finally were on deck for sailaway and heard the horns. First time since Fort Lauderdale. We have early dining so we are usually getting ready for dinner and the horns cannot be heard inside the ship.

The 8:00 show tonight was magnificent. All Elton John and Billy Joel. After bringing DD and DS to Club Hal we were lucky enough to share an elevator with BobE and his DW and they were heading to the Vista Lounge as well. No sooner had we sat down Tom joined us as well. Made the shop even better. We even caught some of BBKing before heading back to Club Hal.

Great night. But no key in the lock of our verandah door, no 4th tile so back to the front desk tomorrow. Good thing as I want to get my declaration form back. Since I had to fill in a new one I dated it yesterday not knowing the printed ones were post dated to April 30th. I thought there would be something in our mailbox but no. I want to fill it out correctly, which is not what HAL wants, apparently.

Thanks Sapper1 for the information.

Tomorrow is our 4th formal night. Then I can pack up the formal gear and send it home with DH.

We would love to see the Elton John and Bill Joel show again. It has been several years since we have seen it. And we have done the Westerdam's repositioning several times.

Roy

Great explanation.

Thank you.