Retreat cabana price...wow

ETinCA

Called for pricing on a retreat cabana, non family size cabana for a 22 night cruise this summer. $1017?? Geez. Pricing go up on these or what? Definitely not 3x a normal 7 day cruise price. And last time we went on a 12 night cruise, it wasn't near that if you cut it in half.

The problem with a Europe 22 night cruise with a cabana is that we won't be using it as much as a normal 7 day cruise anyway due to the amount of port days.

Have others experienced this increase? Unfortunately we declined it due to that pricing. Just curious.

Have a good weekend everyone.

That sounds about the price we paid for a 24 night retreat cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012. We didn't find it worthwhile either. We didn't use it at all the second half of the cruise. It was too hot and the service was too slow the few times we did use it. It was a great spot to watch the sail into Venice though.

Wow is right! I'd ask again later. IIRC when you book by the day they are $50 on sea days and $30 on port days, so if you had 18 port days and 4 sea days that would work out to $1020. Maybe just try to book some sea days after boarding.

Some great ideas! I'll try that. It is 18 port days and 4 sea days like you said.
I just checked a pdf I have and it said $75 for sea days and $45 for port days. ($50/$30 is for the Lido cabanas) It also said that they are $599 for "up to 20 days", and it sure doesn't seem like 2 more days should add $418 since "up to 15 days" is $499! :D Edited by catl331

Wow is right! I'd ask again later. IIRC when you book by the day they are $50 on sea days and $30 on port days, so if you had 18 port days and 4 sea days that would work out to $1020. Maybe just try to book some sea days after boarding.

We have had the Retreat Cabana on 3 of the 4 ships that currently have them. The price has been right about $39/day, which would be about $860 for a 22 day cruise. So it would appear they may have been a raise of about $6 per day.

We have had the Retreat Cabana on 3 of the 4 ships that currently have them. The price has been right about $39/day, which would be about $860 for a 22 day cruise. So it would appear they may have been a raise of about $6 per day.

7 days @ $299 = $42.71 /d

10 days @ $399 = $39.99 /d

15 days @ $499 = $33.26 /d

20 days @ $599 = $29.95 /d

22 days @ $1017 = $46.22 /d ???

That's a $16.27 /d step up, not $6

Edited by catl331

OK, curious where you got these prices from?
They are from a pdf that HAL last put out for the 2011-2012 season, but as recently as 2 months ago people were reporting the same prices were still in effect. For example here is a post from Feb 21st:

It depends on the length of the cruise.

Small cabanas

10-day cruise $399

Up to 15 days $499

Family Cabanas

10 days $599

Up to 15 days $749

Also on the Noordam they were offering various daily and weekly packages that included a Pinnacle dinner and Cannaletto Dinner. Don't remember the price. I had a family cabana, however, the small cabana next to me had four people using it on the special package.

Hope this helps.

Terri

Click on the link in THIS POST for the full pdf.

If these prices are now outdated and a 22 day rental is truly $1017, that makes it about 70% more than what a 20 day rental used to cost. WOW!

Edited by catl331

They are from a pdf that HAL last put out for the 2011-2012 season, but as recently as 2 months ago people were reporting the same prices were still in effect. For example here is a post from Feb 21st:

If these prices are now outdated and a 22 day rental is truly $1017, that makes it about 70% more than what a 20 day rental used to cost. WOW!

We had a 14 day rental on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December, and it was $499, which is in line with the 2011 price sheet. Anything over 20 days was "call for pricing."

Apparently, it should have read, "Call to be astounded and/or shocked." :eek: I fear that I'm to blame. If I hadn't published "Poohby Joe's Guide to Cabana Living," there probably wouldn't be all that demand from celebrities, which drove up the price. Rumor has it that Piglet bought out the entire summer cabana inventory on the Eurodam.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44985959&postcount=627

We are on the NA July 15,2015 for 24 days and booked retreat cabana regular not family size and paid $755.00US.

Mind you this was done last January, could be price went up.

That's more in line with what I would expect - a small increase to $31.46 /day

This post included a quote from another poster saying that the small retreat cabana next to hers was being used by four people. We were told that four adults could NOT use a smaller cabana.

This post included a quote from another poster saying that the small retreat cabana next to hers was being used by four people. We were told that four adults could NOT use a smaller cabana.

What happens on the ship is very different than what you are told by Seattle. We had the family cabana on the Noordam because we were three and paid for it prior to sailing. On the ship they were running specials and allowing four people in the two person cabanas for the entire cruise.

Terri

Many ship rules are not enforced by stewards who do not want to raise an issue.

What happens on the ship is very different than what you are told by Seattle. We had the family cabana on the Noordam because we were three and paid for it prior to sailing. On the ship they were running specials and allowing four people in the two person cabanas for the entire cruise.

Terri

That is shady for hal to do that. You pay a good sum to be there and the next thing you know it's overrun. I just got off the Noordam and people that didn't pay just came up and plopped themselves on a chair. It amazes me how some folks have no manners.

That is shady for hal to do that. You pay a good sum to be there and the next thing you know it's overrun. I just got off the Noordam and people that didn't pay just came up and plopped themselves on a chair. It amazes me how some folks have no manners.

That happened quite often while I was on the Noordam as well. The stewards were constantly asking those people to leave. There needs to be a better system to keep out those who have not paid for the retreat area.

I actually wrote a note to the GRM suggesting that the gate be closed with a sign posted. I received a nice note back thanking me for my suggestion with yet another plate of chocolate covered strawberries (I'm allergic) and nothing was done.

The entrance from the Crow's Nest is not blocked, just says Retreat Cabana's and to see bar staff for rental. People just walk up the stairs. I heard one man complain when he was asked to leave by the steward. He said that he was there the whole day the day before and no one said anything to him. Go figure.

Terri

That happened quite often while I was on the Noordam as well. The stewards were constantly asking those people to leave. There needs to be a better system to keep out those who have not paid for the retreat area.

I actually wrote a note to the GRM suggesting that the gate be closed with a sign posted. I received a nice note back thanking me for my suggestion with yet another plate of chocolate covered strawberries (I'm allergic) and nothing was done.

The entrance from the Crow's Nest is not blocked, just says Retreat Cabana's and to see bar staff for rental. People just walk up the stairs. I heard one man complain when he was asked to leave by the steward. He said that he was there the whole day the day before and no one said anything to him. Go figure.

Terri

The set up on the Noordam is not ideal. Those of us that paid for the entire trip kept a close eye but there were day purchasers so it was hard to know who belonged. I sure wish hal would listen to complaints and take corrective action instead of trying to placate people to try to correct the weak spots. It's amazing that someone would complain about being kicked out for something he didn't purchase. To bad some folks don't even have the most basic social skills. I remember asking about the cabanas years ago. I asked the steward to come over to me because I didn't want to step in the area because I didn't belong.