your mom called-she wants a vacation email from ncl

CruiseScrooge

I got the same email. My mother passed too. It did not offend me but I did think it was not a good idea because clearly they did not know me as a customer.

I have gotten more emails from NCL lately, daily that I am just about to unsubscribe.

There is a big push for sales. My NCL PCC called me last week too. She is great and admitted the prices have went up and I said not now...too expensive..

It's interesting ... some of you are complaining because of the volume of mail that you get from NCL. I have signed up for email from NCL several times. I've NEVER heard from them about anything. I've long filed that under "Customer Service."

Had I of received the email about "taking Mom on a cruise", I would have thought "Yes, I would have liked to take my mother on a cruise. And she would have enjoyed going." Giving that she died years ago, I am left hearing her say what she often did, "Thanks for thinking of me."

Get a grip, people; get a grip!

I totally agree. I am thinking, if NCL thought about hurting peoples feelings because of a campaign they would not send out Valentines day ads to people who are divorcing or single, or Thanksgiving ads to people who have no families or father's day ads to people who have no fathers. I don't think their intent was to insult people the ad was meant to be a nice one. I think people are just sensitive with everything that is going on with NCL and now they are just picking picking picking...:rolleyes: are they really supposed to know whose people mothers are dead? just delete the emails..

Wow, just wow. It's just amazing that so many people can be hyper-sensitive to an email. AN EMAIL PEOPLE and a "mass marketing" one at that which is meant to reach as many potential customers as possible.

In my opinion not only is it an overreaction, it validates those of us(myself included) that think the world has gone PC insane. As another person pointed out, people are always trying to find something,anything to be offended by in this day and age.

It's a pretty simple solution for those "offended" delete the email and move on with your lives. Better yet follow the old "sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS will never hurt me" adage.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

I am not sure why people are offended by the recent NCL marketing e-mail. It is marketing, which if you received it, I believe you agreed to receive it.

How many marketing ads etc. do we all ignore because it doesn't apply to us? I get these e-mails every day and can't believe others don't either.

Ignore it if doesn't apply to you, just like you do with all of the other 'junk' you get.

Happy cruising all! :D

It's a great email subject line; it really caught my attention. Never in a million years did I think someone would be upset by it, or think it insensitive because their mother died.

There's an unsubscribe link at the bottom or top of every bulk email sent. Please click it if you don't like to receive email (or are receiving too much email). Unlike true spammers, NCL will promptly remove you from their email list because they are subject to fines if they don't remove you.

Huh...I vaguely remebered seeing this email in my inbox,but I did my normal mass delete when I don't feel like opening every one.

Curiosity killed the cat so I had to go back to my trash to see what the fuss is about. It reminded me that my Mom just took a 12 nighter on the Breakaway for her 70th,only bringing sibling #1, not 2,3, or 4....I'm doing Alaska without her ,without guilt ;)

The e-mail didn't bother me at all. After all, Mothers Day is around the corner. Every company out there has mom commercials. It's just marketing to me. I actually think its a good campaign. Maybe my kids would get the hint. That is if they got NCL emails.

Like "CruiseScrooge" I also found that email to be darkly amusing as my Mom also is dead. Also, I'm sure that if she wants a vacation, she'd prefer Las Vegas to a cruise.

Given the average age of people who cruise, you'd figure that the NCL staff in marketing would realize that "your Mom called" might not be the best slogan for a cruise promotion. With Mother's Day approaching this campaign could be a little hard to take for people whose mother recently died. This is just my opinion.

I admit I am a bit sensitive but I found the e-mail distasteful. I am not a young man as a matter of fact I'm a Great grandfather but my mom passed away two years ago next week an I hit a downer when I got the e-mail.

The e-mail didn't bother me at all. After all, Mothers Day is around the corner. Every company out there has mom commercials. It's just marketing to me. I actually think its a good campaign. Maybe my kids would get the hint. That is if they got NCL emails.

I can ignore a commercial on TV or skip over an ad in a magazine which is not directed at me personally but my e-mail box is personal I was not a happy cruiser with that e-mail.

It would have been funnier if it had said: "Your mom called -- she wants her cruise line back." You know, because NCL seems to skew older than some other lines. :)

Not being critical. I'm 61 and I like NCL just fine. I don't need water slides, climbing walls, ropes courses, etc.

I can ignore a commercial on TV or skip over an ad in a magazine which is not directed at me personally but my e-mail box is personal I was not a happy cruiser with that e-mail.

Then use the junk mail block feature and ignore. It's your personal decision not to use it and opened the email.

I am very sorry for your recent loss; my Mom died 12 years ago and I still get tears when we pray for my parents in church.

I believe we all signed up for the marketing e-mails which makes it not so personal but more of like a public mail box; kind of like the junk mail you get in your post office mail.

Unfortunately, marketing, now crosses the line (IMHO) a lot. Again, IMHO, the best thing you can do is ignore and unsubscribe from the internet marketing or vote with your dollars ( in other words do not purchase what is being advertised with the marketing campaign).

I have learned to ignore....the more offensive something is to me I tend not to purchase.

Then use the junk mail block feature and ignore. It's your personal decision not to use it and opened the email.

You Obviously miss my point. I admit I'm overly sensitive on the subject of my mother. I read the subject and was not happy - to late to "Junk Mail" bin it.

I receive e-mails from NCL every day and some I enjoy and some I don't. This one I found distasteful and insensitive. There are other ways to approach Mother's Day advertisements. To say "Your Mother called... OK that is off my chest and I will not bother you folks again. I'm busy packing for my NCL Dawn cruise in 19 days.

Are you honestly asking that we accept the fact that you felt this email was addressed to YOU personally, and that when NCL said "your Mother" that they actually meant that YOUR Mother had called? :confused:

Maybe I can accept that the topic of the email was upsetting to you, but then I'd also have to accept that discussing the same topic in a message board forum would ALSO be upsetting. If I were in your place, I wouldn't read, much less participate in, a discussion whose topic was upsetting to me.

I wonder how many people got that email, read it, and then called their own Mothers to say: "I just got this email that you called NCL about wanting a vacation. WHY would you call them and not tell me first?" :rolleyes:

i just got it. i've got a pretty warped sense of humor and find it funny even though my mom died last year but darn it there must be a few people sleepwalking at the sales departments.

I received the email- my mom passed 16 years ago and I laughed it off... But yeah, very poor way to grab people's attentions!

I received this the other day and the first thing that came to my mind was to call them and say, " My Mom passed away 7 years ago...how are we going to work this? But then I thought about the cruise My brother bought for her and her best friend/coworker when the retired together and how much she enjoyed that cruise, which made me smile.

My Mom died almost 2 months ago. She had always talked about going on another cruise, but cancer took her away. The email made me bawl my eyes out.

ETA: I don't blame NCL for using this as a Mother's Day sales ad. There's no way they would have known it is a raw wound for me. Plus my only child will still be at basic training on Mother's Day. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the day. Not NCL's fault. Someday I'll go on a memory cruise for my Mom...

Edited by WickedRed

Wow... so next you will say they are enabling alcoholics with the UBP and Im sure are a source of the obesity problem with the UDP and the buffet in general..and as others said..kids sail free..very hurtful to the childless... and Yeah my mom passed 16 years ago.. still miss her..but got through my inbox just fine...nitpicking at its best...

Marketing shortcuts, in this case trying to use a cute tag line, can often lead to troubles because of the limited nature of the message - in this case one which directly refers to the recipient's mother.

Imagine if the ad stated: "Do you know a mother who deserves a cruise?" Much less specific, could be your mother, MIL, your wife, BFF or anyone else you're close to that is also a mother. And all of a sudden your message applies to a a larger target audience. That's marketing.

Yes , that is a better substitute.