Legend has Noro!

We received a call & email notification that boarding will be delayed Tuesday due to "gastrointestinal illness." I'm thinking the ship will be nice & clean so as long as we're careful, we should be fine. DH thinks that sounds too easy.

I'm sure some of you have been through this. I'd appreciate your thoughts & suggestions............

Do NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth until you've washed your hands...that's how the virus enters your system! You don't need to stop touching other things....as long as you don't touch your entry points until you've washed your hands!

Been on a ship with many cases on it and then we did the B2B following it. Ship had a major cleaning when we got off at B2B, with us given a free tour in port. We didn't get noro.

Do as other recommended above. Avoid your face unless your hands are Clean and you should be fine.

The ship will be Clean, so that is a good thing!:)

Have a wonderful cruise.

The virus is extremely common, and most of us have exposure to it every few weeks, giving us an immunity. The issue with noro is that immunity only lasts about 2 months after exposure.

If you don't get out much, or sterilize your hands frequently, you may not have had recent exposure and therefore have a weakened immune system. It's these individuals that are most susceptible to getting sick aboard.

The best thing you can do to avoid a ruined vacation is to make sure that you have a strong immune system before boarding. If you have the immunity that most of us have, it will not be an issue.

If you think your immune system is weakened by lack of exposure, then you will need to be extra careful and wash hands frequently. Avoid touching surfaces. Use the hand sanitizers liberally. While these can provide some protection, they're not nearly as effective as your own immune system.

Do NOT touch your eyes, nose or mouth until you've washed your hands...that's how the virus enters your system! You don't need to stop touching other things....as long as you don't touch your entry points until you've washed your hands!

Darn good advice there.

And, as said, Noro is everywhere. Every ship has it. Just a matter of how much.

Take a deep breath and remember that "noro" is not unique to cruise ships. You can pick up the virus at a hotel, a school, a grocery store.... Common good health practices go a long way, as does not panicking.

You missed my point entirely.........you could use soap as many do but barely for a couple seconds and rinse.....that will not get rid of bacteria, but a thorough scrubbing will and in fact if you scrubbed more than 30 seconds, you do not even need soap.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/06/soap-how-much-cleaner-does-it-actually-make-your-hands/258839/

Now..........where's your evidence?

Edited by BecciBoo

The virus is extremely common, and most of us have exposure to it every few weeks, giving us an immunity. The issue with noro is that immunity only lasts about 2 months after exposure.

If you don't get out much, or sterilize your hands frequently, you may not have had recent exposure and therefore have a weakened immune system. It's these individuals that are most susceptible to getting sick aboard.

The best thing you can do to avoid a ruined vacation is to make sure that you have a strong immune system before boarding. If you have the immunity that most of us have, it will not be an issue.

If you think your immune system is weakened by lack of exposure, then you will need to be extra careful and wash hands frequently. Avoid touching surfaces. Use the hand sanitizers liberally. While these can provide some protection, they're not nearly as effective as your own immune system.

I think I have now read the most important thing about NORO -- and that is US. Most people who have a good immune system can fight off many many germs, without getting at all sick. So eat a well balanced diet, take appropriate vitamins, a little extra Vitamin C (can't hurt)....and always wash your hands, face etc WELL. Then everyone has a better chance for a good vacation.

Was on Legend last year Apr/May and there had been Noro. They delayed check in, and everything was "super" cleaned. In fact the cabin stewards were working really hard to get everything done, before passengers boarded. My cabin wasn't quite complete, like the mirrors still needed to be buffed, needed vacuuming. I just went and had sail-away drinks with friends.

The Dr on the ship was on the TV and he said it's best to wash your hands...while singing Happy Birthday (to yourself) TWICE. Much more that just a rinse.

Enjoy.

Edited by hatetotan

Was on Legend last year Apr/May and there had been Noro. They delayed check in, and everything was "super" cleaned. In fact the cabin stewards were working really hard to get everything done, before passengers boarded. My cabin wasn't quite complete, like the mirrors still needed to be buffed, needed vacuuming. I just went and had sail-away drinks with friends.

The Dr on the ship was on the TV and he said it's best to wash your hands...while singing Happy Birthday (to yourself) TWICE. Much more that just a rinse.

Enjoy.

I have a friend who works in food service & he said when he first started working he was told the same thing about singing Happy Birthday twice when washing hands. It made sense to me & I've been doing it ever since..........

You missed my point entirely.........you could use soap as many do but barely for a couple seconds and rinse.....that will not get rid of bacteria, but a thorough scrubbing will and in fact if you scrubbed more than 30 seconds, you do not even need soap.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/06/soap-how-much-cleaner-does-it-actually-make-your-hands/258839/

Now..........where's your evidence?

My evidence is my experience at working in a hospital lab for many years.

And by soap you should also stressed that liquid soap via a pump is better than bar soap which can very easily be contamiated.

If singing helps when washing our hands, how about we sing something to pass on the message.

I put forward this suggestion. Tune "you're the one that I want"

We’ve got germs, they're multiplying,

But I’m taking control.

Soaps the power, I’m applying

It’s Exterminating.

You better wash up

Cause we need clean hands

And the ship depends on you

You better wash up

You’d better understand

To us all you must be true

Noro’s left

Noro’s left, now up to you.

Repeat

:)

If singing helps when washing our hands, how about we sing something to pass on the message.

I put forward this suggestion. Tune "you're the one that I want"

We’ve got germs, they're multiplying,

But I’m taking control.

Soaps the power, I’m applying

It’s Exterminating.

You better wash up

Cause we need clean hands

And the ship depends on you

You better wash up

You’d better understand

To us all you must be true

Noro’s left

Noro’s left, now up to you.

Repeat

:)

Love this!!!!:D:D:D

Sailing on the 14th--in two days.

Here is the latest update I received a few minutes ago from Royal, both as an email and as a text:

April 12, 2015

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to provide you with additional important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Legend of the Seas from San Diego on April 14, 2015.

During the current sailing, guests onboard experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting some enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your cruise.

Because of this extra cleaning and sanitizing, Check in for your cruise is expected to take place between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. We do not anticipate that boarding will start until AFTER 2:30 PM. We apologize for this delay to your boarding process and we thank you for your understanding and patience.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Well, I am sure the Legend will be super clean and ready for your great cruise.

My DH and I were on the 3/20/2015 Southern Caribbean 10 night sailing. We had a great time and I would go again in a minute. We seemed to have picked up a cold-viral thing on the last day or so. Did not effect our trip at all but cannot seem to shake it.

Sounds like good advise from all of the CC posters. I did wash my hands a lot but I probably made the touching the face mistake!

Have a great cruise.

We were on Grandeur in late January when the ship had a second consecutive cruise with noro. I had very mild symptoms for a day and was over it. I was quarantined for 24 hours so I watched some films, read a lot, and slept.

However, as the number of ill grew to over 200 cases, the cleaning solutions were used on the walls in the hallways, etc. and I had a significant allergic reaction to those solutions. I would be fine on deck or at the pool but would start coughing, sneezing and feeling congested within 5 minutes of walking down the halls or entering our cabin. I am a person with very infrequent allergic reactions but it was significant.

I will now always carry allergy meds with me on cruises.

Edited by Bookish Angel

News article. Not just a minor outbreak - up to 7% of PAX.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-passengers-suffer-vomiting-190012834.html

Celebrity Infinity had an outbreak of it also....not much that can be don't to prevent it....if sick people come on board....everyone needs to take responsibility for their own personal care regimen to minimize it from happening and spreading.

Add NCL to the list, since one of its ships had an outbreak last week....it just happens and happens.

Edited by Paulette3028