Must-try food for lunch in Bruges and Amsterdam

Hi! We'll be on Princess excursions in both Bruges and Amsterdam where besides the guided tours, we'll have some hours to wander on our own and have lunch. I would think we'd want a Belgium waffle in Bruges...maybe sample a chocolate candy or two there too...but have no idea if there are any other things that people love to have there and especially no idea about Amsterdam. We'd probably never find a specific restaurant/café but if anyone can give us ideas of items to have for lunch and/or just nibble as we wander that can be easily found, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Amsterdam try their pancakes they are not like ones you get in N.A.

There is a place by the tourist building across from the train station that has some good ones

i-t8P8tfJ-M.jpg

DH ate half before I thought to get a photo ;)

Other than chocolate & waffles some like their fries with mayo or mussels are a popular dish in Bruges so many choices near the town square

Indeed pancakes in Amsterdam, with or without extras. Since Indonesia was once a dutch colony you also will find ""saté"" on many menus. Roasted chicken( ajam) or porc (babi) with peanut sauce.

Edited by Ine

Dear Ine: in 1972 my wife and I had a Rijstaffel dinner at Bali. I know it doesn't exist anymore, but I was wondering what restaurant you would recommend.

There are still a few good restaurants with delicious rijsttafel. Depending where in town you stay check one of those:

http://www.samasebo.nl/nl/

http://indrapura.nl/?lang=en

http://www.restaurantbluepepper.com/

http://www.tempodoeloerestaurant.nl/

Enjoy!

In Amsterdam you can buy cake and other products which will give you a nice relaxed, mellow feeling :eek::eek: All completely legal....;)

Your post cracked me up :D

Of course, you can now legally experience the same relaxed, mellow feeling right here in my home state - candies, cakes, cookies are among the various ways to ingest these "products". Also legal in Washington. The under 30s set is making millions for these new businesses in Colorado.

Ine

Which of your Rijstaffel restaurants would be closest to the Doubletree at Central Station? We would love to do that meal. My DH worked with a Dutch Indonesian in the 1970's and 80's and we went to their home for big dinners on several occasions. The food was fabulous! But we would also consider which one you think is best!

I second the Indonesian food or the pancakes.

If you just want to try a small snack in Amsterdam, and not a whole rijsttafel or a cart wheel of a pancake, try something typically dutch such as beef croquettes ("kroket"). It is a popular small lunch dish. Or you can have some fingerfood with your beer: a "bittergarnituur" or "borrelgarnituur", normally with spicy mini-spring rolls, little cubes of cheese and "bitterballen" (little beef filled balls). Another option is "poffertjes": tiny pancakes (more like the American style pancake, but very small) covered with sugar.

Ine

Which of your Rijstaffel restaurants would be closest to the Doubletree at Central Station? We would love to do that meal. My DH worked with a Dutch Indonesian in the 1970's and 80's and we went to their home for big dinners on several occasions. The food was fabulous! But we would also consider which one you think is best!

In your case take a tram 4 or 9n(or cab) to Rembrandplein and have rijsttafel at Indra Pura. Enjoy.

Hi! We'll be on Princess excursions in both Bruges and Amsterdam where besides the guided tours, we'll have some hours to wander on our own and have lunch. I would think we'd want a Belgium waffle in Bruges...maybe sample a chocolate candy or two there too...but have no idea if there are any other things that people love to have there and especially no idea about Amsterdam. We'd probably never find a specific restaurant/café but if anyone can give us ideas of items to have for lunch and/or just nibble as we wander that can be easily found, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Definitely mussels and frites in Bruges with chocolates for dessert and one of the local beers to drink. Food in Belgium is wonderful.

I second the Indonesian food or the pancakes.

If you just want to try a small snack in Amsterdam, and not a whole rijsttafel or a cart wheel of a pancake, try something typically dutch such as beef croquettes ("kroket"). It is a popular small lunch dish. Or you can have some fingerfood with your beer: a "bittergarnituur" or "borrelgarnituur", normally with spicy mini-spring rolls, little cubes of cheese and "bitterballen" (little beef filled balls). Another option is "poffertjes": tiny pancakes (more like the American style pancake, but very small) covered with sugar.

Ditto!

You can wake me up for some fried bitterballs anytime! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the distances from the Doubletree to Indrapura and to Tempo Doeloe. Actually by cab it is closer to Tempo Doeloe and it can be walked in 24 minutes. The distances are really so similar that it doesn't matter. It comes down to which is the best? Do you or anyone else have an opinion? We will be a group of 10 so I need to make reservations soon for May 23rd.

I checked the distances from the Doubletree to Indrapura and to Tempo Doeloe. Actually by cab it is closer to Tempo Doeloe and it can be walked in 24 minutes. The distances are really so similar that it doesn't matter. It comes down to which is the best? Do you or anyone else have an opinion? We will be a group of 10 so I need to make reservations soon for May 23rd.

I am slightly in favour for Indrapura.