Old vs. New Ships

Ladydee

I know this is a totally subjective question, dependent on peoples' individual tastes, but I'm curious to know what those opinions are.

I'm 47 and I've been on 5 or 6 cruises, never on anything larger/newer than Voyager class. I see the commercials and read the reviews for all the new floating island mega-ships, but I gotta say, there's a part of me that's just not all that anxious to try one. Maybe its the "commercialness" of it that doesn't appeal? I really don't know, lol.

With all that said, I just booked a cruise for 2016. The decision came down to the Oasis or the Serenade. We booked the Serenade (which I've been on before).

Will I find it charming and traditional? or dated and lacking? I won't know until I get there!

For those of you who cruise all the time, what are your thoughts between the older ships on the fleet and the new ones?

Edited by Ladydee

I'm "older", don't cruise all the time, due to location, not caring for the short Caribbean cruises so I prefer ships not quite as big, and I don't need glitz, extras.

However, I do realize the way the industry is going, sailing for itinerary, Med and TA this year, Baltic and transatlantic next year, I have to go with whatever ship is going to places I want to see. This year I'll be on the Vision, next year on a newer, big ship, different cruise line.

I loved the Brilliance, thought layout, overall ship was awesome although some would say dated now. Sometimes going with what you have enjoyed before is a good thing! Next time, try a newer ship to compare! :) Regardless, you're cruising!

Edited by susancruzs

I've only got 1 cruise under my belt and another booked, but we chose Navigator over Oasis or Allure. Aside from being significantly cheaper, there's just something about the mega ships that doesn't jump out at me either. I know many, many people enjoy the production shows, the entertainment and activities that the mega ships have to offer. I'm just not one of those people. Give me a lounge chair, something to read and a couple of drinks and I'm pretty content. Although we don't have kids which is something that obviously influences the decision for a lot of people.

I like old ships, old boats, old planes, old cars, old homes....something about the nostalgia and thinking about all memories and things that have taken place in those surroundings and how times have changed since.

You know, none of them are old and rusty! It's sort of like airplanes that are in service for decades! They are kept up...and aside from the newer bells and whistles (which we don't give a fig about!), they all float, and offer you a good time!

I know this is a totally subjective question, dependent on peoples' individual tastes, but I'm curious to know what those opinions are.

I'm 47 and I've been on 5 or 6 cruises, never on anything larger/newer than Voyager class. I see the commercials and read the reviews for all the new floating island mega-ships, but I gotta say, there's a part of me that's just not all that anxious to try one. Maybe its the "commercialness" of it that doesn't appeal? I really don't know, lol.

With all that said, I just booked a cruise for 2016. The decision came down to the Oasis or the Serenade. We booked the Serenade (which I've been on before).

Will I find it charming and traditional? or dated and lacking? I won't know until I get there!

For those of you who cruise all the time, what are your thoughts between the older ships on the fleet and the new ones?

I would rather sail a voyager class second choice would be a freedom class ship,over any of their new ships.In fact after our cruise on the Liberty,Sense we no longer want to fly. We will just wait until all the quantum ships leave Cape Liberty.And the BS sales stop.:)

I believe that cruising has changed quite a bit over the last 10 to 15 years.Many of the activities,events even dinner have changed dramatically.We didn't have specialty restaurants.The MDR was the main meal onboard.There weren't any fees for anything like there are now.The new ships hold three times as many people.The bigger ships are just more cost effective for the cruiseline.I miss many of the activities that were fazed out

I love Voyager class, and have scheduled our first Oasis class cruise this December. I am a bit apprehensive but thought I might as well check it out for myself. I'm sure we will have a great time but not sure how much I am going to like pre-planning things like shows and dining. On vacation I enjoy going with the flow and NOT having a lot of structure. That's what concerns me the most about our Oasis cruise.

As you can see, I am not a seasoned cruiser but have been on a few. We travel with our children, now ages 13 &18. When they were younger they loved the kids programs regardless of the size of the ship. Just coming off the Oasis, they enjoyed that so much more because of all the ships amenities geared toward families. That said, if it was just my husband and I, I would sail on a smaller ship. It seems to me the ambience of the smaller ships is nicer.

Just off Liberty, and I enjoyed the extra shows, but man was that ship mighty big! It has given me no desire to go to anything bigger! Brilliance is still my favorite, and I can't wait to get back on her next March! I do want to give a Freedom/Voyager class another chance; since being sick could of played into some of this!

I like the Brilliance/Radiance class has good amount of pax, and not overly big! Very easy to do and walk around! I felt I got to know the staff a little more! There was plenty to do and enjoy! Enjoyed the back deck, solarium and more! Less lines, The lines were everywhere/entire trip on Liberty and it was almost controlled chaos! I would assume worse on the even bigger ships! JMO!

You know, none of them are old and rusty! It's sort of like airplanes that are in service for decades! They are kept up...and aside from the newer bells and whistles (which we don't give a fig about!), they all float, and offer you a good time!

Granduer has some visible rust in the solarium pool. She"s a decent ship and conveniently in Baltimore but for me, in no way offers the pleasures of the big ships.

Give me the newest, always. I like the lighter, brighter and more modern interiors and amenities of the newest ships.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I loved Majesty, Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class. I have no desire to go bigger. Freedom was as big as I could go, but I really enjoyed the entertainment on that ship!

I recently sailed Vision class, and after that, we decided Voyager and Freedom class were for us :)

I'm sure we will have a great time but not sure how much I am going to like pre-planning things like shows and dining. On vacation I enjoy going with the flow and NOT having a lot of structure. That's what concerns me the most about our Oasis cruise.

That's one of my hold ups also. And it's a major reason why I'm booked on Navigator and not a NCL cruise with an itinerary I like more on a brand new ship. I'm supposed to decide what time and where I want to eat dinner months in advance? No thanks. What if get hungry at 4pm, or maybe 9pm instead?? I'm on a strict agenda every single day at work. That's the last thing I want on my mind on vacation.

We have never been on any ship larger than Voyager Class but I would like to book Freedom or Liberty. If our family (children and grandchildren) all came with us - they would enjoy Oasis or Allure.

It was exciting to be on Vision of the Seas and actually dock in the city of Curaçao. It was unbelievable seeing the captain maneuver the ship past the bridge. So there are some places the smaller older ships can go that others can't.

After sailing on only Voyager Class ships for some time. I said "I will never choose a smaller, older ship". Now I never say "never" because I like them all.

After seeing picture/reviews of Quantum OTS. It seemed like fun (loved the Northstar) but it seems further removed from the water/sea views and that is what I enjoy. And I don't like juggling schedules on vacation too much work for a vacation. We may try it one day and love it - so I never say never anymore.

For us, right now, the Voyager and Freedom class ships are our favorites. We sailed the Quantum because it was in our "backyard" so to speak and we wanted to see what all the fuss was about before it heads to China. Been there, done that. Quantum was a nice ship, but we prefer the layout of the Royal Promenade. We have done MTD for years so the DD offered on the Quantum didn't really bother us.

This summer our extended family is going on a 9 day Liberty of the Seas trip. We go during the summer because of the grandkids school schedules. However, if it is just DH and me, we now cruise more often off season and will stick with the smaller ships. We were docked next to the Allure in Nassau (when we were on the Quantum) and DH said it was "too big" but if I wanted to go on it, we would. I think I would like to try the Serenade....I've heard allot of good things about this ship.

I would like to go bigger. I have been on Liberty, some older ships and Voyager class. Our upcoming Adventure OTS was for the itinerary. Really want to try Allure and Quantum.

For me, the ship IS the draw, not the itinerary. However, we are cruising with friends who wanted to do a southern Caribbean. It will be wonderful I'm sure!

I think the "sweet spot" for Royal Caribbean ships was 2006-2010. That's essentially the Freedom and Oasis class. The Freedom class just built upon the Voyager-class ships, giving them 7-9 years to improve upon Voyager, and Oasis and Allure are just simply fantastic.

If I ranked the ships on how well I liked each class, it would roughly follow their ages. My favorites are a tie between Oasis and Freedom, then Voyager class, then a tie between Vision and Radiance class.

In my opinion Vision and Radiance class ships are fine, but nothing special whatsoever. I would have picked Oasis over Serenade any day without hesitation, but different people like different things.

I haven't cruised anything larger than Voyager class. Sometime I would like to try Radiance or Freedom class ships, but I'm not interested in Oasis or Quantum class ships.

agree we would never sail on the Quantum,or Oasis class ships.Have a great next Royal cruise,only if the prices drop.:)

We liked the Radiance lass for the open feeling it gives you and view of the ocean. We found the Freedom Class made us feel closed in. Service, entertainment etc were flawless on our LOS TA in 2011, but that particular sailing offered little on board activies during the sea day, the Parades were beautiful and we enjoyed that a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to go another Freedom Class again as each ship & crew are differant.

Freedom of the Seas is my favorite ship so far followed by Serenade. After those two ships I thought I could go back to an older ship and went on Enchantment. Even though I had a good cruise on Enchantment and was sick for two the three days, I was not impressed with the ship itself. Actually in the older ship category I liked my first ship Sovereign of the Seas better than Enchantment. I want to try Oasis and Allure one day but I really would have to get a good deal for the category of cabin that I like before I cruise on them. :cool:

We are more comfortable with the 2500 to 3500 range of passengers and at the moment have no desire to sail the mega ships. Radiance to Freedom Class are fine for us, although we haven't been on a Voyager Class yet

My favorite ship of all lines is Adventure of the Seas of the Voyager class. A bit smaller than Freedom class. I like that range you mentioned too.

I was on Independence of the Seas however for a friend's wedding. They got married at port before the ship left Ft. Lauderdale. Spent about 4 hours on the ship for their wedding. From what I remember it was quite similar to Adventure just a bit larger.

I hope to try out the Oasis class at some point, but for the novelty. Not sure I will like it as well as Adventure but only one way to find out.