El Cid

DreamingBig1

The plane isn't intact - it's in pieces and sorta roped together so it doesn't drift away. It's in about 30' of water about 100 yards from shore but the location isn't ideal for snorkeling - there's way too much boat traffic. Diving is really the only safe way to see it.

We went there a few years ago, the food, drinks, pool and service was very good. The beach and the water were poor. There is no real beach and as other have said there is a lot of boat traffic. I would suggest another resort f you really want to go into the water.

We love El Cid, get off the ship, walk out of the port, turn left, and go about three blocks. short blocks. For 25.00 each (the last time we went) we scoped out some beach chairs, threw on our snorkels and headed into the water-a bit choppy. The area to snorkel is roped off, and yes my DH swam out to look at the plane. I saw more fish here, than on the reef in Belize, and far more than any where in the Bahamas.

Fish like rocks, they nibble on algae and sea weed, they don't particularly like flat soft sand. So if you need that kind of beach, don't go there. The pool is actually colder than the ocean, there is a large hot tub, there is a small (I mean small) sand entry way on the left side of the restaurant into the ocean. When you go directly to the hotel, and pay, you get a 10 dollar credit for food. And the food is incredible! The first time we stayed within budget, but the second time, we brought some extra cash and ordered a full meal from the menu. Very good!

If you don't want to be hassled on the beach, if you want a quiet time that is less American and more Mexican/European, then this place is a great choice. Oh, and if you like to snorkel-this place is great!

I am jealous, on our next cruise to Cozumel, we are going to do something different so that everyone can do something they like. (our fellow travelers are not beach peeps) I hope you have a great time, it's nice to sit and watch your ship across the crystal waters.

We were at El Cid a couple of years ago. I think we paid about $20 each, which included $10 food vouchers. We had some good guac and margaritas. My husband ordered the large and got a beautiful glass. I ordered the regular and got a styrofoam coffee cup! LOL We brought our tennis racquets and snorkel gear. No one else was on the one court that was in OK shape. We thought the snorkeling was very good. It was quiet with plenty of beach chairs. Nice hot tub! It was a short walk from where our Carnival ship docked. We thoroughly enjoyed our day there. When we were back in Cozumel with Norwegian it would've been a taxi ride, so we opted for the Money Bar, which also had good snorkeling.