Do you remember your 1st cruise? I kinda envy 1st timers.

scmona

Loving this thread fascination to hear of everyone's first times! We've only done one, that was 2 years ago for a milestone birthday. We flew to Miami then did grand princess 2 weeks b2b Caribbean . The journey was horrible but mainly the airports both sides of the pond and has put me off doing the Caribbean again however the cruise was amazing. I'd done tons of research and had some idea of what to expect but husband isn't like that and had no expectations at all. So I loved watching his face when we pulled up at the port and took in the size of the ships! It was wonderful, we had a balcony cabin as I wanted to be able to see as much as possible and it was fabulous watching new island come into few at dawn ! We had a balcony brekkie on my birthday in aruba which was a surprise and it was amazing . The formal nights were great the speciality dinning was special. All in all we loved it! So in June were going again this time to the Adriatic on the Queen Victoria . We can't wait as it will be all new again . We are going with family who haven't cruised before so it will be lovely sharing their first time with them.

Wasn't really a "cruise", it was a TA back in the 60's when I was a kid going back to visit Grandparents in Italy. I've been hooked on traveling on ships ever since. As a family, we also did a number of winter cruises out of NYC on transtlantic liners that also did cruises in the winter. Oh................how things have changed over the years!!!!!!!!! Still love traveling by ship and continue to.

Edited by marco

First cruise was almost 30 years ago. The ship seemed enormous. It is no longer in the fleet, but was a Carnival ship and TINY by today's standards. We had our two daughters and booked an inside cabin. The cabin consisted of two sets of bunk beds and a bathroom where the shower poured down all over the bathroom. You had to dry off the toilet when you finished. It was only a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. We had a great time but didn't get to cruise again for many years. The next time we cruised was Nordic, I believe. It was brand new and we were one of the first to cruise on her. This cruise wasn't just wonderful. It truly WOWED us and we were hooked. We did everything we could after that to save for a cruise because every land vacation we took, we would say it was fun, but it wasn't a cruise.

. . . but I am not sure that today's anticipation is of the same intensity that first-time cruisers had years ago. When we first began cruising, everything was a big deal. We joined a group formed by WAYE, a Baltimore big-band station, in those days. Of course, we had the requisite document dance when a big folder arrived by mail (HAL's documents came in a leather folder!)

Cruise lines are doing a wonderful job in catering a wild variety of tastes and dining preferences. Gone are the two seatings that pretty much everyone used. Also gone is the formality, in dress and presentation. I remember Celebrity serving a palate cleaner between courses. That was the line to take young ones to teach table manners!

Are today's master dining rooms seaborne Applebees?

Love this thread!

I'll never forget my first cruise. Our first cruise was in 1992 on Enchanted Seas/Commadore Cruise Line. We went with the women and their husbands from my Mardi Gras Krewe float.

The ship was so small but the fellowship, crew, service, food and activities were unforgettable! The service in the dining room was great and I wish today's service was more like that cruise. The place settings made the meals so special. There were more courses at a meal and the food was great. The midnight buffet was truly grand!

My first cruise was about 15 years ago on the Carnival Ecstasy. I went with my sister, her husband, her 2 young kids, and our dad. 3 cabins, with our dad alone in one, my sister and her husband in another, and me with my neice and nephew.

I remember the kids doing room service breakfast of hot chocolate and danish every day before going up for a "real" breakfast! I also remember the towel animals and how much the kids (and me!) loved them. I still look forward to them.

1429458676514.jpg.38604f3947ac233a9db3932c4363e33d.jpg

My first cruise was a New Years cruise in 1987-88 on the old SS Norway. It still had the class of the old ocean liners. Enclosed Promanade. Port holes for windows. Choc-a-holic Midnight Buffet! Life was good. Even better now.

Our first cruise was on the sensation almost 20 years ago. I can remember seeing it as we neared port. we were so in awe! It was a great honeymoon in the western Caribbean. Cruise number 6 on the pride in July will be awesome but no cruise is as awesome as your first. Ports were so different then, especially Jamaica. Not nearly a dangerous. and much more natural. A lot of the ports have become so commercialized. The carnival cruises have changed too but the crews are still the best around. Wow , 20 years ago.

Last night in the dining room last week on a cruise, I heard a young mans voice saying how much he loved eating in the main dining room and his wife agreeing. I realized dh and I said the same thing almost 30 years ago... It was their first cruise, our 20+. Both couples really enjoyed that night.

My very first cruise was on the January 9th 2005 sailing of the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera. We flew in the day before, and watched the ship come in bright and early the next morning. I remember the excitement of stepping on board this beautiful vessel, and thinking how HUGE the whole thing was...not just the ship, but the experience. We spent a lot of time exploring, wanting to see anything and everything the Pride had to offer. The views were gorgeous. The crew--I can't say enough great things about them. They were wonderful. Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas were amazing. I'll admit: I was absolutely hooked before we even set sail. After that experience, I couldn't wait to do it again!

Edited by Laughing Angel
corrected spelling

Our ship is now rebranded and in Australia. It only had 2 buffets and no sit down restaurant, only ocean view or inside cabins and we loved it.

I was up to watch every sail in

I was excited opening the blind every day to see the view

The entertainment was fab, the crew brilliant, I miss the simplicity but wouldn't give up my balcony now

My first cruise was on a Standard Fruit Company, the Contessa. It was a cargo/passenger vessel that sailed from New Orleans, first stop was Havana. It was in 1950!

Contessa_zpsal9nwc2g.jpg

My first cruise was about 15 years ago on the Carnival Ecstasy. I went with my sister, her husband, her 2 young kids, and our dad. 3 cabins, with our dad alone in one, my sister and her husband in another, and me with my neice and nephew.

I remember the kids doing room service breakfast of hot chocolate and danish every day before going up for a "real" breakfast! I also remember the towel animals and how much the kids (and me!) loved them. I still look forward to them.

Holland Ametica Veedam in '85 from NYC to Bermuda. Was the most relaxing vacation ever to that point but that ship was tiny compared to even modest size ships of today.

The Atlantic can be a bumpy place, particularly on a small ship. One couple from our group got sick and will never cruise again, even though we've tried to get them to join us on much larger and more sophisticated vesels of today. Their loss I guess, but none the less, it hooked me. [emoji4]

Stepping on the huge ship for the very first time in awe. It was breathtaking. This will be our 1st time on Carnival. Very excited.

We sailed on Carnival Splendor last week and sitting next to her in Miami when we boarded was the Disney Wonder which was our first cruise 14 years ago. It brought back some magical memories as we sailed past her heading out of port.

• 2 weeks later...

First was Jewel OTS. Seeing the size of the ship was cool...

However, not having cruised before, we were clueless as to what to do. We were with a group and we spent A LOT of time either sitting in the Centrum waiting for others or asking back and forth... What do you want to do? I don't care, what do you want to do?

I'd say our second cruise was the most memorable since we knew what to do.

I remember when my brother in law approached us , and said they were planning on a family cruise..it was over a year before we left....so we had plenty of time to save for it...

(first I want to tell you a story...when my hubby and I were chatting one day, I told him if we make it to 25 yrs married..i want to go on a cruise, he turned and said to me...WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO SIT ON A BOAT FOR 7 DAYS) So when his brother approached him, he said yes...we were married 27 yrs by then...but that is all behind us now..\

married 43 yrs this year and cruising almost every year since, needless to say...he loved it...

we were on Majesty of the Seas...14 of us that year..it was the most amazing thing I have ever done

CRUISING IS IN OUR BLOODS...I LOVE IT..

First was Jewel OTS. Seeing the size of the ship was cool...

However, not having cruised before, we were clueless as to what to do. We were with a group and we spent A LOT of time either sitting in the Centrum waiting for others or asking back and forth... What do you want to do? I don't care, what do you want to do?

I'd say our second cruise was the most memorable since we knew what to do.

That is too funny...we learned years ago to do your own thing, and we will meet you in the dining room for dinner...spent many hours wasted doing the same thing as you, but not now

Our first cruise was in 1996 on the beautiful Norway. What a beautiful ship that was! It was such a wonderful cruise. White-gloved waiters, teak decks and afternoon tea! Makes me sad to think of what happened to the Norway. As they say "they don't make them like that anymore".

Great thread!

Our first cruise was 16 years ago, from my husband for my 40th birthday. On Royal Caribbean, I can't even recall the name of it, and we had room on one of the lowest decks with a teeny portal to look out to the ocean. I believe we were on a deck with many of the staff - he'd booked the most budget conscious option possible.

We were also clueless about what to do, but we had a great time discovering the possibilities.

Since then we've become hooked on balconies like most people who stay in them, and while we always have a great time, that first cruise was the best cruise.

There's a Celebrity thread going on right now, with people discussing whether or not it's worth it to cruise these days. So many jaded stories of people who say they don't enjoy cruising anymore. Threads of the "horrible" food, the "terrible" service, etc.

So nice to read a positive thread filled with stories of people recognizing how fortunate we all are. :-)

Edited by CanadianDee

My first cruise was on the NCL Starward (17,000 tons) in 1982. I was very seasick until someone gave me a patch to put behind my ear. After that, all was well. I remember how shocked I was at the size of the inside cabin. It felt like a closet. Still, we had big fun!

We'll certainly never forget our first cruise, 9 nights aboard Caribbean Princess, back in 2004 the week before Labor Day. Started out as 7 nights, but thanks to Hurricane Frances, Port Everglades was closed for over a day, delaying our return.