Documentaion info needed

We will be going on our first cruise May 30th 2015 on carnival paradise, porting in tampa.... My question is do my 3 children need notarized "permission" from my ex to travel? we were never married, I have always had full custody and I haven't seen him in almost 9 years, the travel agent told us I just need their birth certificates and valid i.d or passport for myself and boyfriend. but I was looking at another post and noticed someone mention this notarized permission needed...... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We will be going on our first cruise May 30th 2015 on carnival paradise, porting in tampa.... My question is do my 3 children need notarized "permission" from my ex to travel? we were never married, I have always had full custody and I haven't seen him in almost 9 years, the travel agent told us I just need their birth certificates and valid i.d or passport for myself and boyfriend. but I was looking at another post and noticed someone mention this notarized permission needed...... Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't seen or talked to him in nine years won't bother with the signed letter . I would any courts papers that give you sole custody of the minor children . Also take their Birth Certificate (with Official Seal ) not a hospital birth certificate.

If you haven't seen or talked to him in nine years won't bother with the signed letter . I would any courts papers that give you sole custody of the minor children . Also take their Birth Certificate (with Official Seal ) not a hospital birth certificate.

I would agree. Also, contacting an agent at the cruise line just gives their policy. You can always get an overzealous checkin agent at the port that would give you a hard time.

Since the dad has been MIA for nine years, I would think papers providing full custody would do. Though finding out the official policy might provide some peace of mind.

I don't know the answer but one question I would have is if the childrens' father is named on the birth certificate, could that present a problem for you taking them out of the country?

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine millions of parents take their kids on cruises every year without both parents.

You need the notarized permission when you apply for a passport, but not simply to board the ship. Especially if the kids' birth certificates identify you as their mom.

That said, when I take someone else's kid on vacation, I have written permission from their parents, including permission to change travel plans, authorize medical treatment, and I get copies of insurance info, etc.

thank you I do have their official birth certificates with seal and document stating I have full custody. I will also call carnival just to make sure, don't want anything ruining our first vacation. thank you all for your helpfulness!

With documentation proving you have sole custody, you should be all right --- but you should NOT take my word, of that of any other amateur/expert on these boards. Confirm with your cruise line - and be prepared to bring the documentation.

Since the dad has been MIA for nine years, I would think papers providing full custody would do. Though finding out the official policy might provide some peace of mind.

Definitely find out the official policy. Because, no offense intended, I wouldn't expect anyone to take OP's word for it that Dad has been MIA for nine years. If it were that easy, then what's to keep anyone from taking her children out of the USA on a cruiseship and saying, "I haven't heard from their dad in nine years"?

Even if a parent has sole custody, I don't know if that means they can take their kids out of the USA without the other parent's knowledge or consent. And if they can't, I can't see how they could accomplish it by merely saying, "I haven't heard from their father in nine years" whether it is the truth or not.

OP: Do you have full legal AND physical custody AND has the father given up his parental rights? If the answer to any of these three questions is NO then you need his consent. Without it you risk being denied boarding. Do not rely on what anyone tells you on the phone unless it is from ICE.

Now, if his name is not on the birth certificates than you don't need anything from him.

Edited by zqvol