Regal Princess Medical Emergency 4/5 - 4/12

NdCottman

On day four of the cruise the Captain made an announcement, around 6:30pm that the ship was returning to St. Thomas due to a medical emergency. Does anyone know what the emergency was and if the person is okay? Just wondering.

Am I the only one who thinks it a bit ghoulish to ask about what the medical emergency is? It's not anyone's business except the patient, the Dr, and the Captain.

Not particularly ..... sounds more like the natural curiosity that many people would likely have when hearing that sort of announcement.

Yes.

As for wanting to know if the person is ok, no problem with that, but it's not your business to know what the problem was.

I think you're out of line, here. The OP appears to be concerned about the well-being of the individual who had the medical emergency. Nothing in her post suggests she has a "ghoulish" (completely inappropriate word, btw - no indication she has a morbid interest in the situation) fascination with what happened. You owe the OP an apology, IMHO.

Ghoulish? Are you kidding? If I were on the ship and found out we were turning around for a medical emergency I would also be interested in knowing what emergency could have the ship return to port.

I also was on that sailing last week, and was hoping everything was ok. A few years ago on a RCCL ship the Captain made an announcement at dinner that we were returning back to Bermuda to evacuate a passenger with medical emergency. The next day the captain reported that all was well with the gentleman who was in his 40's having a heart problem. Everyone cheered.... 1) The passenger was ok, 2) the Captain made the right decision to turn around.

Medical evacuations are not that uncommon. I will never forget a cruise on the old Regal where they made two general announcements for specific blood donors. We had two separate helicopter medical evacuations (probably the patients needing blood transfusions) and one unscheduled port evacuation. As a medical professional I wanted to head down to the on board hospital and offer to lend a hand. Let's be honest, in situations like that everyone is curious as to what is happening. It is rare that you ever find out what is going on. Staff's main concern is for the privacy, health and safety of their patient. Hopefully the passenger was transported to a good medical facility and is on their way to recovery. They are probably home by now. Your curiosity is totally normal. If you cruise frequently be prepared for this to happen again.

Used to live in a place where we had medical emergencies transported from ships all the time....Cruise ships as well as cargo ships...We had a really small hospital but excellent physicians and surgeons on call. It happens all the time....Crew, passengers, kids and infants.....you name it, and it can happen. Thank goodness that ships turn around for the benefit of the people that they carry...It saves lives...

My personal thoughts. . .

I feel that we become sort of a family while onboard. We want everyone to enjoy the cruise as much as we are. To hear of someone being so ill that the ship needs to turn around, causes us to become concerned.

I too have been on cruises when they have called for blood donors of specific blood types. I too have been onboard when the ship needed to take a small detour to let an ill patient off the ship to get better medical help than what the ship can offer. We worry about them. . .

How many here can honestly say they have never gawked when passing an accident along a highway, or watched the TV when something catastrophic has happened? We want to know. We listen to the announcers on the TV to hear if they people involved are okay.

I see nothing wrong with the OPs question. I think they are just concerned. . .

Off my soapbox . . .for now!

If I was the person with the a medical emergency I would want to turn around and go back to St. Thomas as it is part of the US had to leave my in-laws behind in Mexico not saying they did a bad job but it is a foreign country

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Medical evacuations are not that uncommon. I will never forget a cruise on the old Regal where they made two general announcements for specific blood donors. We had two separate helicopter medical evacuations (probably the patients needing blood transfusions) and one unscheduled port evacuation.
I agree. Medical situations are not uncommon. They happen all the time. If they are serious enough or require surgery, the passenger will be medevaced or the ship will head for the nearest port with a medical facility.

The Medical Center is equipped to do quite a lot of testing and procedures. They can screen blood and transfuse patients if needed, for instance. They have X-rays and can set bones. When my BIL suffered a massive ruptured bowel on a cruise several years ago, they screened 25 passengers, drew blood and gave my BIL eight transfusions. Unfortunately, we were too far from land to medevac him. All they could do was pump him full of antibiotics and give him blood. Many of the old timers on CC know the story as I did a "live" for over a month with his ordeal in the ICU in FLL.

Be very thankful the Medical Center is so well equipped and that the Captain will do anything, even inconveniencing other passengers to get you the help you need. There is a very good reason why the ship turned around so the person could be evacuated. If we'd been closer to shore, my BIL might have lived.

It has been OKed by patient or family to let everyone know the diagnosis.

It is nice to know that the person has been safely delivered to to a medical facility that can help onshore.....:).

Hoping that some one in the future will give us a happy ending :)

Not uncommon at all! On our last cruise...we had three of them!!!! It was crazy! We were on the Regal last week as well. What was curious to us is how soon after we cast off that they decided to turn back. I would have thought they would have just stayed. Members of our party saw the person as they were coming to dinner, before we left. But...I don't, nor do I want to make those decisions! I just hope the person was able to get the treatment they needed and are on the mend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last Alaska cruise, we had 2 emergencies back to back. The first one we were close enough to turn around and go back to port, the other one we were 10 miles out and they put the patient on a lifeboat and sent him back to port. The ship turned around and we met the lifeboat coming back. The captain in both incidences came back on the loud speaker and announced both were doing fine. I can see why the OP would like to know, I too am always curious about what happened and the well being of the patient. That isn't ghoulish at all.

Glad to hear all ended well. We were on the Diamond outside of Singapore in 2013 and a crew member had to be airlifted off the ship. They called for blood donors and this a good thread to remind all of us who want to know because we care, they will not let you donate blood unless you can show your donor card. So packing it with the other 7000 things in your suitcase is a way to help out.