RCL and Deferred adjudication...

Hello,

my just turned 18 (very maturity challenged) adult son just started deferred adjudication for a non-violent theft related felony here in Texas(in Texas 17 year olds are treated as adults for criminal matters). We have taken cruises as a family in the past with Royal from Galveston and enjoyed them. What I'm wondering is, assuming his probation guidelines allow him to go on a cruise, does anyone have any kind of valid information on if Royal Caribbean will allow him to go(I understand they run background checks now)? If it is dependant on situation, would they be able to tell us in advance of the cruise? Also any information on the normal western Caribbean countries letting him in just for the normal walk off and look at things type of activity. I would appreciate any information you have re: this. Also Carnival(the other cruise line out of Galveston) if any information is known about them.

Thanks,

Sad Dad :(

I don't know the answer, I know that if you were going to Canada it could be a problem.

I guess my gut reaction is I wouldn't give him the reward of a cruise vacation. The downside of that is eveyone else in the family is punished.

Good luck, and I am sorry for your situation. Kids do the dumbest things. Some kids never grow up.

jc

Hello,

my just turned 18 (very maturity challenged) adult son just started deferred adjudication for a non-violent theft related felony here in Texas(in Texas 17 year olds are treated as adults for criminal matters). We have taken cruises as a family in the past with Royal from Galveston and enjoyed them. What I'm wondering is, assuming his probation guidelines allow him to go on a cruise, does anyone have any kind of valid information on if Royal Caribbean will allow him to go(I understand they run background checks now)? If it is dependant on situation, would they be able to tell us in advance of the cruise? Also any information on the normal western Caribbean countries letting him in just for the normal walk off and look at things type of activity. I would appreciate any information you have re: this. Also Carnival(the other cruise line out of Galveston) if any information is known about them.

Thanks,

I don't see where there would be a problem as, like you said, his probation allows it and his PO knows exactly where he is. The only time there's usually a problem is if there's a warrant but this won't be the case.

Hello,

Thanks,

I think I would start with his probation officer to ascertain whether or not he will even been allowed to leave the country while on probation (my guess is that they won't allow such travel for a "vacation"); second, I don't believe that the cruise lines do any type of "background check" but of course US Customs will be made aware of his name along with all other passengers; third, I can't imagine how the foreign country could find out about his conviction. I do have to agree with the poster, xpcdoojk, who wonders about the reward of a cruise vacation following a criminal conviction. Good luck.

I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to voice my support for you in looking out for your son and family. You know your son, we on Cruise Critic do not. I imagine he is a good kid that made a poor choice...haven't we all! I hope your cruise vacation can proceed as a family without any negative impact of your son's situation.

Checks are done I believe by Homeland Security.

Ray, do you know if it is done on all passengers or just those with foreign passports and are they "background checks" or the usual computer name check, ie. no fly list kind of thing?

I think the PO is the one you should check with. Homeland security isn't going to be concerned with a crime...hell, they let all manner of illegals with felonies in the country without a blink of an eye. If the probation officer gives the go ahead, then go ahead.

Thanks all for the reply so far. As far as them doing background checks, I was going by this thread, but maybe it is out of date:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973210

Regarding the idea of "rewarding" him, lol, I definitely would not be doing that. We do not have any cruises currently scheduled, and if I did schedule one, I'm not certain he would be going, just need to know for the future (along with researching 1700 other ways this is probably going to bollox up his life and ours).

I appreciate the comments about "we don't know your kid" and "maybe he is a good kid who just made a bad mistake" as well. Thank you. Though I don't excuse anything, and without going into any details, he fell in with a bad crowd in high school(mostly druggie types), has always been a sad and lonely approval seeking (not from us, he always got support from our end) social crowd reject of a kid(never been in trouble before this), and fell for the "c'mon, you're my friend, this'll work out and be fun" of that crowd. Again, that doesn't excuse anything though, but neither would I not want him with us on any future family vacations. I don't believe in kicking people when they are down and I firmly believe that sometimes people just make stupid decisions that will haunt them for a long time. In my family, family stands by one another. :/

From my research online I don't think the probation officer saying yes to him going will be a problem, only the cruise line and any countries we would visit (all western caribbean). Thanks again for the above info and any further information you can offer.

Brizz - your support of him will make all the difference in the decisions he makes in the future. I'm certain everyone here did something beyond stupid in their youth or knows someone close to them who did as well. I would perhaps contact someone in the Special Needs area at Royal Caribbean. I do think some Caribbean countries do bar "felons" and he might have to remain on the ship. Seems like I remember seeing questions regarding criminal convictions somewhere in the cruise contract as well. Best of luck to you and your family.

Thanks Wolfgang!

I certainly can think of a few dumb things I did at 17. Not to his level, but there but for the grace of God go I, etc etc.

I'll call the cruise line and check with them, I'm sure they have a vested interest in not having passengers freak out and get upset(if it can be avoided) right at the gangway, so i'm sure they can set me straight about what his chances for any future trips will be. Thanks all!

I know they check mainly for warrants. I don't know if they pick and choose or what their protocol is.

I do know that many have been known to leave the ship in handcuffs. :D

Checks are for national security, public safety, warrants, visas (non US cruisers) and some other smaller categories.

JD

My heart goes out to you as our son did the same stupid thing.... As a 1st time offender his record was expunged after completing all the court requirements. One of those was not being able to leave the county we lived in during the length of his probation.

Hugs

Hello,

Thanks,

Hi, you need to call Royal and discuss this with an agent!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hm. Old thread but too many incorrect answers for me not to clarify.

If someone's on probation it is highly unlikely their PO will allow them to leave the country. AFAIK, terms of probation don't allow one to leave the county one lives in. Probation requirements are unyielding - you have to see your PO so often, you have to complete certain requirements like community service, and classes. You aren't allowed time off from probation, in fact, probation is set up for the average person to fail. It sucks, but for some reason the cops really like to toss criminals in jail.

As for Royal, I doubt they do background checks. Background checks cost money. I'm under the assumption they only check databases that are free, like the sex offender registry. If they find someone, they contact them and allow them or deny them on a case by case basis. (to Royal's credit, they try to be impartial about this)

As for Homeland Security, Customs and Immigration doing background checks. They don't have to. All this information is encoded in the magnetic strip on your driver's license and passport. So when you re-enter the country and the agent scans your ID and the information pops up, they'll most likely take you aside for some questioning.

At any rate, if you have a past. If you're an ex-con, my advice would be to contact Royal and come clean so there are no surprises. Get your attorney to write a letter in your defense, explaining the circumstances and why you won't be a threat to anyone on board. If it's been 10 or 15 or 20 years since your offense and you have been clean since then, (depending on the nature of the original offense) there shouldn't be a problem.