Things we miss about cruising today....

Dinkachu

What was once a special environment on even the mass market ships has now been downgraded to nothing more than a week or two vacation just about like Spring Break for the college kids.

So, why not cruise on the non-mass market lines......Maybe Silverseas or Windstar? Or Crystal (I'm a big fan, but the recent sale might mean the future changes will alter it's character and the passenger experience)?

If you don't want a common experience, don't vacation with a common cruise company.

There are cruises that offer experiences that are not like Spring Break at Cabo, but they're not priced like Spring Break at Cabo, and they're not broadly advertised.

My first cruise I had to share living quarters with 50 other guys, worked 16 or more hours a day, food was mediocore and service was surly, aclohol on the ship was verbotten. Compared to that I'll take modern cruising any day.:)

So, why not cruise on the non-mass market lines......Maybe Silverseas or Windstar? Or Crystal (I'm a big fan, but the recent sale might mean the future changes will alter it's character and the passenger experience)?

If you don't want a common experience, don't vacation with a common cruise company.

There are cruises that offer experiences that are not like Spring Break at Cabo, but they're not priced like Spring Break at Cabo, and they're not broadly advertised.

This is such a great post, it should be enshrined as a sticky. I am constantly amused by the people who complain about the mass market lines and keep sailing them anyhow. There is life outside of HAL, RCCL, NCL, CCL, MSC, Costa, etc.

I have never taken a 7 day cruise on a mass market ship. Never been to the Caribbean and have no desire to go. Other than a few QE2 crossings and two cruises to Alaska, both on Princess, I have never been on a cruise shorter than 2 weeks. Pick those specific cruises because they usually draw more experienced cruisers and not a lot of family groups.

I have taken Seaborn crossings a couple of times. The Silhouette cruise last December was a TA, was just before Xmas and because of the timing, expected an older crowd with a little more decorum. Boarding looked like Spring Break-loud, rowdy and complain, complain, complain.

I'll stick to planes and hotels from now on.

I think what I miss most are the on board "Bon Voyage" parties just prior to sailing. Sometimes, 2 or 3 (or more) visitors for every passenger, caterers delivering all kinds of goodies for the parties, the pursers desk reaking with the scent of flowers to be delivered to staterooms as well as, champagne, other "adult beverages", and other gifts being delivered to staterooms, "all ashore who's going ashore" followed by streamers, confetti, bands playing on deck, ships horn and tugs whistles tooting back and forth....what a rush when the ship was departing! And it was as much going to see someone off as it was being the passenger!

Skeet shooting, throwing streamers off the ship, and hitting golf balls into the ocean are three that I miss.

Agreed.

Maybe they could make golf balls out of Ice or fish food.

And skeet shooting might finally be a use for the big screens, electronic skeet shooting not the same but better than nothing perhaps.