What do I pack for May?

aggiemom11

I've never been on a Mediterranean cruise before but I'll be doing it in May too ( Oceania May 11th to 22nd) You can check the weather at http://www.holiday-weather.com - enter the city in the search field and you'll get a ton of weather information ( 7 day forcast, 25 day average forcast, monthly high/low temperatures, etc)

Just to give you some ideas, I plan on taking a couple of pairs of pants and capris ( I prefer pants and capris to sundresses, although I plan on taking a couple of dresses for evenings)and I plan on taking an assortment of tops and sweaters that I can layer - that way I can be warm in the morning as we set out and can take off the sweater as the day warms up. Weather can be unpredictable so I like to have a few options for warm days or cool evenings.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone who's done this cruise will provide more information for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've been to Italy a few times in May (going again in 3 days). I have had very warm, actually hot, weather and cold and rainy weather. I pack for it all, with layers. I only wear a dress if I'm going to a restaurant where I want to wear a dress instead of pants (I only pack one dress - my Little Black Tshirt Dress).

This time, it looks like upper 60s/low 70s in the daytime and mid40s/low 50s at night. Florence is going to be warmer in the mid-70s and lows in the 50s. Rain a couple of days each place.

I still haven't decided what I'm taking; that'll be finished about 15 minutes before I head out the door ;)

We leave Friday !!!!! This will be our second cruise in early May…..

Our first cruise we left May 3rd out of Civi - it was cold at night the 2 nights prior in Rome….. like coat cold !

It really depends on which area you are headed …… further south you go it will be warmer…..

When we returned back to Rome @ May 15th it was HOT !

So when you say May - early - mid or late May ???? It can be quite different.

BTW: I have packed all slacks/capris/shorts - except for my two formals…..

I will take a jacket (for evenings or that cool morning or two)

We leave Friday !!!!! This will be our second cruise in early May…..

Our first cruise we left May 3rd out of Civi - it was cold at night the 2 nights prior in Rome….. like coat cold !

It really depends on which area you are headed …… further south you go it will be warmer…..

When we returned back to Rome @ May 15th it was HOT !

So when you say May - early - mid or late May ???? It can be quite different.

BTW: I have packed all slacks/capris/shorts - except for my two formals…..

I will take a jacket (for evenings or that cool morning or two)

We leave May 3. Just wondering if I need to bring a heavy jacket or coat....I don't want to be cold!!!😁😁. But coats take up so much room and packing for 2 weeks is already challenging.

You will be able to wear sundresses, no problem. You will also be able to wear pants, no problem. You may choose to wear both at once. It's entirely up to you. But I've no idea what your weather is going to be because the Mediterranean is a very large area (slightly less than the USA), the temperature on May 1st will not necessarily be the same as on May 31st, and the long-range forecast is no more accurate than tossing a coin.

Take warm clothes. Last time I visited Italy in May (Lake Garda), it was 6 degrees C / 42 degrees F and rained all day, on the first day. The temperature reached double figures by the end of the week. You might not need the warm clothes, that temperature wasn't typical.

You don't need to pack a coat. Wear it. That way, it doesn't count against either checked luggage or hand luggage, and gives you extra pocket space on the plane.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

I would not take a heavy coat. Plan to layer instead. Take some t-shirts, a cardigan or two or maybe a lightweight fleece and a rain jacket shell with a hood. Layer as needed.

I have traveled in the Med several times in late April/early May and never needed a heavy coat. In the more southern ports (Naples, Sicily, Greek isles, Kusadasi) it will be warmer than in the more northern ports (Venice, ports in France, Istanbul, etc.)

Of course, weather is unpredictable which is why it's best to take a bit of everything. I've been in Rome in February when it was so warm I couldn't even stand to wear a cashmere twinset, much less a jacket. (The Italians, of course, were all going around bundled up as if it were below freezing....) :rolleyes:

Edited by cruisemom42

I leave in 26 hours - I haven't even started to put one thing in a suitcase :eek: But, the dog is washed and ready to go to doggy-sleepaway camp :)

I have a good idea of what I'm taking, but I keep having other things to do. At least all my electronics are charged up. I did some laundry and have to do a little ironing before I pack up.

Probably 3 pairs of pants plus one pair of yoga pants for the flights (I've got 2 long flights plus a 9 hour layover, so the pair I wear will be washed and waiting for the same trip back)

my one nice black print sweater - goes with everything

6 of my various Tshirts

3 tank tops

2 long sleeved Tshirts

my long white linen shirt as a "jacket" in the daytime

my one light sweater hoodie plus one to wear on the flights

my LBTD (little black travelers dress)

my rain shell

wearing my new blue jersey blazer

Jambu light shoes

Sperry Topsiders

Either my engineer boots or my Jambu booties - I still can't decide

2 scarves

I just have to drag out my bag and pack it...

I leave in 26 hours - I haven't even started to put one thing in a suitcase :eek: But, the dog is washed and ready to go to doggy-sleepaway camp :)

I have a good idea of what I'm taking, but I keep having other things to do. At least all my electronics are charged up. I did some laundry and have to do a little ironing before I pack up.

Probably 3 pairs of pants plus one pair of yoga pants for the flights (I've got 2 long flights plus a 9 hour layover, so the pair I wear will be washed and waiting for the same trip back)

my one nice black print sweater - goes with everything

6 of my various Tshirts

3 tank tops

2 long sleeved Tshirts

my long white linen shirt as a "jacket" in the daytime

my one light sweater hoodie plus one to wear on the flights

my LBTD (little black travelers dress)

my rain shell

wearing my new blue jersey blazer

Jambu light shoes

Sperry Topsiders

Either my engineer boots or my Jambu booties - I still can't decide

2 scarves

I just have to drag out my bag and pack it...

LOL! Luv that the doggy is washed and ready! ☺️

Again - depends on which ports you are going to…….. further north it could be cold. Further south = warmer.

And again, our first trip in early May (we also left on our cruise on May 3) we spent 2 nights in Rome before boarding our ship and we wore coats. I had a pea coat as did dh. NOW - this was only at night as we love to roam around Rome (haha - pun intended) after having a nice dinner. When we returned to Rome 11 nights later…… it was already hot !

I have checked the weather for all our upcoming ports (we have been to all of them numerous times) from last year……. I will be taking a light jacket for the evenings again as it will be in the high 50's at night…… we are planning on roaming around again at night (Piazza Navonna is great at night!) and I also do not like being cold. I carry it on the plane with me so no need to pack.

Got the dog to doggy sleep-away camp.

Got the trash all canned up for my neighbor to put out tomorrow.

Figured out what to pack, clothes-wise

Packed up my messenger bag that is going to be my carry-on (it's a brand-new Shrepani (surprise!) Verve LE I got for $36 on special) with all my goodies, including a second shirt and pants for the JFK-FCO flight (I've got 9 hours between flights).

Took my shower.

Eating dinner next.

All with 2 hours to spare before I head to the airport.

Again - depends on which ports you are going to…….. further north it could be cold. Further south = warmer.

And again, our first trip in early May (we also left on our cruise on May 3) we spent 2 nights in Rome before boarding our ship and we wore coats. I had a pea coat as did dh. NOW - this was only at night as we love to roam around Rome (haha - pun intended) after having a nice dinner. When we returned to Rome 11 nights later…… it was already hot !

I have checked the weather for all our upcoming ports (we have been to all of them numerous times) from last year……. I will be taking a light jacket for the evenings again as it will be in the high 50's at night…… we are planning on roaming around again at night (Piazza Navonna is great at night!) and I also do not like being cold. I carry it on the plane with me so no need to pack.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

sorry, I just read this post. I have cruised several times in the Med in May. Its the best time of year. Weather in Italy will be in the 70's; weather in Greece will be in the 80's, and weather in Turkey will be in the mid 80's. Water in the med will be warm to swim; and calm seas for sailing. Weather in Croatia will be in the low 70's. I leave in three weeks for my next Med Cruise. See you out there.