Outdoor movies on the summit???

sullyd

I was on Summit about a month ago.

There is no "mega screen" like many ships have today.

What they did was to project onto a large wall deck 12 aft.

They had lounge chairs with blankets and provided popcorn.

Does anyone know if the Summit has an INdoor movie theater, and if so, where is it? It is always nice to "go to the movies"......:)
The Summit used to have a very nice indoor movie theater on deck 3, but it was taken out when the ship was "solsticized" a few years ago to add more revenue generating cabins instead.

I would LOVE if Celebrity jumped on the outdoor movie screen band wagon. Not a fan during the day, but so enjoy watching a movie at night under the stars!

Why should Celebrity copy other cruise lines? Can't they have their own way of doing things? Must every cruise line be exactly like all the others? Why bother having different cruise line choices if there is no difference between them?

I hate the concept of huge, bright, noisy movie screens on a ship. If I wanted to watch a movie on a big screen, I'd stay home and pay the $10 rather then the hundreds or thousands of $$$$$ I'm spending to be on a cruise.

If this is another Celebrity move to be like everyone else, I will have even more reason to find a better cruise line.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm with you. I don't like an outdoor movie/big screen concert going when I am sailing along. I appreciate the fact that some like to go to a movie while cruising (not me), but would rather the option be to go inside to a theater than up on deck to negate the cruise vibe. Although, I do realize many lines are going this way and I am probably a minority. Sigh... While I am at it, I wish all lines still had live calypso/reggae music. :mad:

I would LOVE if Celebrity jumped on the outdoor movie screen band wagon. Not a fan during the day, but so enjoy watching a movie at night under the stars!

Right on!!! And why stop there???? They should also install wave-riders, raft-in-a-tube rides, mega-waterslides, sky-pods-on-a-stick gizmos, bumper-cars, and ropes courses. Being different than everyone else is way over rated. Then they could also change their name to Carnorweiganisney Cruise Lines to pay homage to who they would be copying. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

The Summit used to have a very nice indoor movie theater on deck 3, but it was taken out when the ship was "solsticized" a few years ago to add more revenue generating cabins instead.

Bad to loose the movie theatre, but on a positive note, these have (IMO) turned out to be the best Oceanview staterooms on M class ships.

I'm with you. I don't like an outdoor movie/big screen concert going when I am sailing along. I appreciate the fact that some like to go to a movie while cruising (not me), but would rather the option be to go inside to a theater than up on deck to negate the cruise vibe. Although, I do realize many lines are going this way and I am probably a minority. Sigh... While I am at it, I wish all lines still had live calypso/reggae music. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. It's the biggest thing we disliked on the 1 Princess cruise we tried. LOUD giant TV screen deafening us all day whilst we tried to relax by the pool. Horrible:mad:

I am in the group that is pleased to see the outdoor evening movie offering. It's a nice alternative, and based on the location described, shouldn't interfere with other activities. I enjoyed movies onboard Princess and the screen didn't interfere with my daytime enjoyment as I preferred the deck above the aft pool and never needed to be near the main pool during the day. I'd love to hear from recent cruisers what some of the movies (in addition to Frozen) have been.

When looking for a cruise my DH always wants to cruise with an outdoor movie screen. He really enjoys watching the movies so hopefully next year when we cruise on Summit they will be offering movies outside.

Laura

Do the M class ships, ie, Millennium show movies anywhere?? Or, just what you can get in your cabin?

Thank you!

Thankfully, our Feb cruise on Millennium did not show outdoor movies. We like to stroll around the ship in the evening and encountering one of these abominations would interrupt a peaceful and relaxing evening enjoying the ocean breezes.

However, a selection of movies is available on your stateroom TV, some free and some for a fee.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I am in the group that is pleased to see the outdoor evening movie offering. It's a nice alternative, and based on the location described, shouldn't interfere with other activities. I enjoyed movies onboard Princess and the screen didn't interfere with my daytime enjoyment as I preferred the deck above the aft pool and never needed to be near the main pool during the day. I'd love to hear from recent cruisers what some of the movies (in addition to Frozen) have been.

So, the solution is to force some people to search for a place to relax away from the pool just so a few people can enjoy movies? Doesn't seem right to inconvenience people just so a few can turn the pool area into a movie theater showing movies that probably don't meet everyone's tastes, or even worse, sporting events.

[ Doesn't seem right to inconvenience people just so a few can turn the pool area into a movie theater showing movies that probably don't meet everyone's tastes, or even worse, sporting events.

I don't know, watching a baseball game on deck on a warm summer night sounds pretty good to me!