MTD Reservation Times ?

I know I can make MTD reservations on line, but the times offered aren't what we want. Can someone please tell me if resrvations around 7pm will be available if we make them in the dining room soon after boarding?

That's what we'd planned on doing, but reading a Cruise Compass someone posted, it says that reservations are recommended, and gives a number to call. I just thought that maybe if we go to the dining room first thing, I could get times that weren't available on line. We've done anytime dining on Princess, but this is a first on RC...:)

Edited by ciera123

I don't know if you will be able to get reservations for a specific time. But you can simply show up when you want to eat, without reservations.

Agree...Sorry but I don't get why making a reservation is such a concern for cruiser's...its "MTD" and the point of that is "flexability".

I wasn't so thrilled with MTD when it was first introduced but after using it several times since...We enjoy the option to dine when we want to.

Again...sorry..and thanks for listening...but just an opportunity to stand on a soapbox (something I tend not to do) about a subject that I am seeing many posts about lately.

I wasn't concerned about making reservations, until I read that they were recommended. We chose MTD for the freedom of going when we wanted. Not sure why RC would suggests them.....

Reservations make things easier for the dining staff. They will probably suggest reservations again when you are onboard, but they are not required.

I wasn't concerned about making reservations, until I read that they were recommended. We chose MTD for the freedom of going when we wanted. Not sure why RC would suggests them.....

Don't always believe what you read...especially recommendations from RCI via email/ads. It's for their benefit...just like recommending a certain boarding time...and all the suggestions you get for upsales like beverage packages etc. etc.

Enjoy MTD on your timeframe during the dining times.

Agree...Sorry but I don't get why making a reservation is such a concern for cruiser's...its "MTD" and the point of that is "flexability".

I wasn't so thrilled with MTD when it was first introduced but after using it several times since...We enjoy the option to dine when we want to.

Again...sorry..and thanks for listening...but just an opportunity to stand on a soapbox (something I tend not to do) about a subject that I am seeing many posts about lately.

We like reservations as we prefer to eat early and at those peak times there can be a lengthy wait, especially for a table by ourselves at that time.

Just because we want to eat early doesn't always mean traditional dining works. If we have an excursion that gets back 5 -5:30 then traditional dining would be a rush. We work out what time due back to ship, allow time to wash, change get ready and we book a time that works with that.

That way We don't get back and start feeling like we have to rush to try to get a table, or worry about queuing up just to get on the wait list. We know the table is there and we just turn up at the time we need to be there.

Everyone has their own preferences, but to me making a reservation is a lot easier than trying to check in with a long line of people that have not got reservations.

Some ships are better than others for this, but we have experienced one ship where the queue was so bad it blocked the entrance to the restaurant for those that had reservations. I was glad I didn't have to wait in that line.:eek:

Op reservations are recommended for a couple of reasons. One being, like Bob stated, restaurant management and planning. Two so that if guests are particular about the time they eat, it will be easier for them to try to accommodate as close to that time as possible. If 3000 people turn up first day all trying to book dinner reservations, that is a lot of pressure on the staff in such a short period of time. If no one made reservations it would cause a big headache at best!

I recommend booking a reservation for as close to the time desired now. And then once on board see if they can tweak it, or put on a waiting list for that time if still unavailable.

Edited by Spurschick

We like reservations as we prefer to eat early and at those peak times there can be a lengthy wait, especially for a table by ourselves at that time.

Just because we want to eat early doesn't always mean traditional dining works. If we have an excursion that gets back 5 -5:30 then traditional dining would be a rush. We work out what time due back to ship, allow time to wash, change get ready and we book a time that works with that.

That way We don't get back and start feeling like we have to rush to try to get a table, or worry about queuing up just to get on the wait list. We know the table is there and we just turn up at the time we need to be there.

Everyone has their own preferences, but to me making a reservation is a lot easier than trying to check in with a long line of people that have not got reservations.

Some ships are better than others for this, but we have experienced one ship where the queue was so bad it blocked the entrance to the restaurant for those that had reservations. I was glad I didn't have to wait in that line.:eek:

Op reservations are recommended for a couple of reasons. One being, like Bob stated, restaurant management and planning. Two so that if guests are particular about the time they eat, it will be easier for them to try to accommodate as close to that time as possible. If 3000 people turn up first day all trying to book dinner reservations, that is a lot of pressure on the staff in such a short period of time. If no one made reservations it would cause a big headache at best!

I recommend booking a reservation for as close to the time desired now. And then once on board see if they can tweak it, or put on a waiting list for that time if still unavailable.

That makes a lot sense, thanks! I totally agree with not wanting to rush after a day on port. That's why we booked MTD. Maybe I'll head over to the dining room after boarding and check to see what I can do.

They "hold back" the popular dining times....so that they are avail. onboard. Otherwise, they would all be booked in advance!

Once again, wrong information.:roll eyes: I just made MTD ressies for my upcoming cruise and there were slots available for 6:30, 6:45, 7:00 pm. Are these times unpopular? Not for me.

Once again, wrong information.:roll eyes: I just made MTD ressies for my upcoming cruise and there were slots available for 6:30, 6:45, 7:00 pm. Are these times unpopular? Not for me.

Don't know why you need to roll your eyes and say "Once again, wrong information". The cruise line often holds back slots for booking onboard between 7:00-8:30, which is a very popular time for those that don't want to eat too early or late. Whenever I've made reservations online there have always been time slots available before or after that window of time.

We also eat "early" and have sailed on several RCI ships recently...never more than a 5 min wait for our 2top. Sounds like your early and my early aren't the same.

And actually more often than not the reservation side of the entrances have had longer lines than the non-reservation side in MTD (:confused:).

All of us can "recommend" away, but each of us can approach this dining dilemma with what works out best for them personally and not stress out trying to pre-plan everything...after all it's just a week...not a lifetime at sea. ;):)

Don't know why you need to roll your eyes and say "Once again, wrong information". The cruise line often holds back slots for booking onboard between 7:00-8:30, which is a very popular time for those that don't want to eat too early or late. Whenever I've made reservations online there have always been time slots available before or after that window of time.

Spot on response marys350....I also too wonder why it's seems a few on these boards enjoy :rolleyes::rolleyes: when it comes to cb at sea's many responses...all of us at times mistakenly offer incorrect info :o. At least their trying to help..just offer a correction...no need for the sarcasim or trying to participate or start a feeding frenzy...this isn't high school.

They "hold back" the popular dining times....so that they are avail. onboard. Otherwise, they would all be booked in advance!

It seems to depend on the ship or sailing. Those time slots were not available to book for MTD on our upcoming Serenade cruise.

We always grab an early spot 6 pm for us...our party explanded and the 6 was gone when they signed up...so...as soon as we boarded we went directly to the DR and they were able to double our seating. Might give that a try.