room service question

revj

On previous cruises I've never been sure how to handle the dirty dishes after we enjoy the food. I know tossing them overboard or hiding them under the bed are inappropriate, but do we leave the tray in the room for the steward to have to deal with or leave in the hall for fellow passengers to trip over? What do you think works best?

On previous cruises I've never been sure how to handle the dirty dishes after we enjoy the food. I know tossing them overboard or hiding them under the bed are inappropriate, but do we leave the tray in the room for the steward to have to deal with or leave in the hall for fellow passengers to trip over? What do you think works best?

We always leave our tray in our room. I think it is much better than leaving then in the hall.

Also harder for wheelchairs, scooters and walkers to go around.

Yes, I noticed that on one cruise where my neighbor had to maneuver his walker around a pile of dishes outside one of the doors near us just about every day.

Definitely in the cabin. Cruising with my son it was extremely difficult to maneuver around the housekeeping carts let alone somebody's pile of dirty dishes. Unsightly, unsafe, and a definite hazard to mobility.

The housekeepers can't help that their carts are an obstacle to wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, etc. but they do their best to be on top of things and move them immediately when needed (although we moved some ourselves and don't mind doing so the stewards always magically appeared and apologized for the inconvenience). The dishes, however, are a separate and very irritating issue.

Edited by Thrak

You can always call room service for a special pickup. :)

I always leave it in the room. I don't like to see dirty dishes in the hall either.

I've called room service to pick up the tray and they always say the room steward will take care of it. Doesn't seem fair that room service gets the tip and the steward has to clean up after them. That's why I always tip the steward extra. Room service will take away the dirty dishes if they are there to deliver the next meal. When we are in a suite we order alot of room service.

Hopefully Princess will read this thread.

Without exception everyone on this thread, agrees that the dishes should either be left in the cabin or RC phoned and asked to collect.

No-one thinks leaving them in the corridor is appropriate.

Princess - If you are reading this, perhaps you might consider putting a card on the Room Service delivery tray asking people not to leave the dishes in the corridor.

Princess - If you are reading this, perhaps you might consider putting a card on the Room Service delivery tray asking people not to leave the dishes in the corridor.

Its a moot point, there will always be those that leave them outside the cabin door anyway regardless of any what any card says, just as there are signs/notices that say no chair saving. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I agree with these comments. We've never put our dishes in the hall, but I see them there often and thought maybe I was doing it wrong. It would help if Princess included a note in tube room service menu with info on how to handle the "empties" With some cruise lines implementing charges for room service, while we are on our next cruise (Royal leaving the 24th) , I plan to take advantage of this service before it disappears--and I want to do it right !!

I’ve always thought you’re supposed to put the tray in the hall for the stewards to pick up. Nobody has ever corrected me saying it was wrong. You see allot of other cabins with their trays outside, honestly I thought it was the norm.

For now on we'll leave the tray in the cabin, much easier :)

Edited by ppmanusa

the tray more in the hallway than the recessed door area so the traffic can be clear for those with canes. walkers, wheelchairs. (I have none of those)

I have been known to take my foot and nudge those trays out of the path of

people walking in the hallway back to near their doors in the recess areas...

We tend to place anything that was room service or etra dishes/glasses on the little table- so it is clear we are done with them...

Bernadette

On my last cruise on the Ruby neighbor right across from us kept putting their tray just past their own door to middle of hall. Every day I pushed it back. Their teenage kids were next door to them and we watched the kids jump over the dirty trays full of dishes. Spoke to our Room steward and told him he needs to tell his supervisor to speak to them, this was getting dangerous. Our room steward said when he was on duty, he removed their trays. I told him the bad time is after 11:00PM at night. Reason I told my room steward to have his supervisor speak to them was because I didn't want the people to get mad at our wonderful room steward.

These people were Blue Cards and also didn't speak English.This practice went on every day, and they had food deliveries multiple time during the day. I knew what they ate all the time.

Hopefully Princess will read this thread.

Without exception everyone on this thread, agrees that the dishes should either be left in the cabin or RC phoned and asked to collect.

No-one thinks leaving them in the corridor is appropriate.

Oh Boy, I second your proposal . . that would be a great idea for Princess!

On Holland America, after the breakfast trays are delivered to cabins,

someone comes with a huge cart, set up for trays, and picks them up a couple hours later. HAL puts a note that you aren't to put trays in the hallways, they will be picked up from inside your cabin.Works well, never see the trays outside.

Unless we have a complete pile of dishes left over from a meal, I always carry a few items back to the buffet with us on the next trip. I hate leaving them on our limited space counter or table since it is at a premium in the regular size cabins.