For those booked for a Journeys cruise

tommytune42

In looking over the Carnival Journeys cruises, it says that they plan to have guest lecturers on board the ship for each sailing. I am curious--if you are on a Journeys sailing, would you attend the lectures (which are generally on sea days) and, if so, what kinds of topics would you like to see covered during those times?

In looking over the Carnival Journeys cruises, it says that they plan to have guest lecturers on board the ship for each sailing. I am curious--if you are on a Journeys sailing, would you attend the lectures (which are generally on sea days) and, if so, what kinds of topics would you like to see covered during those times?

These are usually well attended and can include presentations about destinations (ex:Panama Canal), technology, business, entertainment.

One cruise, a presenter was a retired CSI from Los Angeles area. He had slides and endless accounts of real life crime investigations.

If the topics are of interest to us, sure we'll attend. Talks on the ports we will be visiting (and I mean real talks, not shopping talks disguised as port lectures), ship navigation, life on board etc. We are booked on a Journeys cruise next May on Sunshine and are really looking forward to it.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

I would expect the guests to have interesting information pertinent to the ports. NOT about shopping!

I wouldn't only want to hear a lecture but perhaps an activity that was related to food/ culture/history/dance/music /animals etc.

Edited by riffatsea

I'm on a Journeys cruise in January. As long as they don't talk about food or shopping, I will likely make plans to be there.

On the Pride 14 day repo cruise in March the guest lecturer spoke on how to publish a book. The problem was that it was the only theme or topic for 5 or 6 sea days and it was at the same time of day and conflicted with other things.

I was disappointed that it was a series and the only lecture, no other topic or time. I went once and it was enough.

On the Pride 14 day repo cruise in March the guest lecturer spoke on how to publish a book. The problem was that it was the only theme or topic for 5 or 6 sea days and it was at the same time of day and conflicted with other things.

I was disappointed that it was a series and the only lecture, no other topic or time. I went once and it was enough.

That is one that I definitely would NOT go to.

Honestly while on board the only lectures I would want to attend would have to be related to the current itinerary and ship. It would interest me to learn about each ship's origin and unique facts pertinent to that ship. Anything related to each island- habitat and wildlife, political history, architecture, and excursions- would be fun for us. Shopping talks should be kept separate.

We would attend a lecture on board depending on the subject if it would be of interest to us. History would be one of those subjects depending on what it would be about but would be open to other topics as well. Will be finding out next February. We will wait & see what will be offered.

These responses are interesting to me. We had our first cruise lecturer when we did the Sunshine T/A and found it fascinating. In fact, that was one of the real highlights of our trip. Most Carnival cruises don't offer such a thing, and one of the reasons we are thinking about booking a Journeys sailing is to get that benefit. Thanks to all who responded!

What else is included in the Journeys cruises and when is the first one?

Carnival Journeys will debut with an 11-day cruise aboard Carnival Dream from New Orleans to San Juan Oct. 4, 2015.*

http://carnival-news.com/2015/03/05/introducing-carnival-journeys-a-new-series-of-one-of-a-kind-longer-length-voyages-featuring-spectacular-ports-of-call-and-special-onboard-experiences/

Memorable Activities

Carnival Journeys participants can also enjoy unique shipboard experiences that will be tailored to each itinerary in the areas of dining, entertainment, team member connections and enrichment, all infused with the line’s spirited brand of fun.* These experiences will include:

Authentic Eats:*Partnering with local restaurants and chefs, Carnival Journeys participants can enjoy on-board cooking demonstrations where these culinary artists will recreate their signature dishes and traditional cuisines from their country.* Participants will also have an opportunity to dine at the chef’s restaurant ashore for a nominal fee and accompany the chef as he or she visits local markets for delectable regional specialties.

*“Local”-tainment:*From calypso, soca and Goombay to colorful folkloric entertainment, Carnival Journeys participants will get an up close and personal look at their destination through local entertainment performances taking place outside the ship or on board.

**Academy of Fun:*Through these educational enrichment sessions, Carnival’s shipboard experts will instruct guests in topics ranging from cooking and arts and crafts to digital photography and social media, even celestial navigation.* All of these activities will be performed with the fun and entertaining style that only Carnival can provide.

**Throwback Sea Day:*Carnival will set the “way back machine” to 1987 and recreate a fun day at sea with retro pool and deck games, old school dining options like Baked Alaska and the gala midnight buffet, a white glove Captain’s Celebration, popular movies from that era, a circa 1987 version of the Carnival Capers shipboard newsletter, and more.

**Shipboard Team Member Connections:*Here, Carnival Journeys participants can learn more about shipboard life through informative question and answer sessions hosted by the ship’s captain, cruise director, hotel director and others, held at different times throughout the voyage and providing an opportunity to engage and interact with the Carnival team in a fun and casual setting. *There will also be an unforgettable show performed by the ship’s crew during the voyage.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

i would definitely attend the events hosted by 'guest lecturers' depending upon subject matter.

i'd like to think that if carnival actually brings onboard 'guest lecturers', it would be akin to what is standard on certain other cruise lines... presentations about the ports, the wildlife, the geography and terra firma (similar to the likes of naturalists talking about what you're seeing in alaska on HAL, princess, etc.)...

talks about the culture, architecture, food, etc. of ports being visited on caribbean itineraries would be great.

i've also seen some advertisements from princess, with 'discovery at sea' with the likes of stargazing (guided), and info about wildlife like whales, etc. which i would be in for 100%.

i think this is something that would be GREAT for carnival.. and when i saw princess advertising 'discovery at sea' i was kinda thinking 'awwww that's awesome, why not carnival'

Edited by falkcor

i'd like to see 'discovery at sea' (a partnership with the discovery channel), expanded to carnival cruise line. it's already on princess. THAT is the type of 'entertainment' that *I* want. i don't care about playlist productions, etc. but that is something i would actually be interested in.

They've been doing this for a long time on the HI cruises. Every sea day going over there was a talk about the Islands. The last few days on the return she spoke about Alaska.

Edited by SadieN

I'd attend lectures covering the ports we'd be visiting.

My one HAL cruise was 14 nights RT between San Diego and Hawaii. There was a native Hawaiian on board who gave talks on the way out on the various islands, history, culture, etc. I went to 2 or 3 of them. They were very interesting.

I'm booked on a Journeys sailing, but it's 11 nights with only two sea days (1st and 3rd days). Although I've been to all the ports but one, there just isn't time to hold port talks/lectures on that itinerary. I mean, we'll be ashore just about every day.

What I absolutely do not want (but wouldn't attend anyway because I haven't done so since my 2nd cruise) are the "port talks" that are just pimping certain shops. :(

But then, I also happen to do my research before I sail. I'm amazed how people go to Aruba and then are disappointed because it's a desert island. It seems many people have absolutely NO IDEA of the places they're going to visit and think all Caribbean islands are the same.

I do my research because it helps me decide which excursions I want to take. And I actually cruise to get to visit the islands, not to go shopping or lay on a beach and drink all day, so the island, the people, and the history matter to me.