A, B, C islands

cruisewiththekids

I'm looking at the Emerald over Christmas going to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. I've been to several other Southern Caribbean ports but never these three. There seems to be fewer cruises with these islands, but I'm not sure why. How would you say they compare to other islands? About the same, better, worse?

The reason for the fewer cruises is because they are so far south of US ports. It's far easier for the ships to go to St. Thomas/St. Martin or the Western Caribbean routes of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. A few years back Princess was offering a 7-day cruise that hit two, but not all three ports, so there were a lot of sea days. If I remember correctly it wasn't that popular and the cruise was heavily discounted on many of the sailings.

Aruba has beautiful white sandy beaches, and the most beautiful aqua blue water.

Bonaire also has clear aqua water and is great for snorkeling. I think there is a nice beach.

Curacao I have never been to, so I can't comment.

These islands are not lush tropical islands like Grenada, St. Lucia, or Dominica, in fact Aruba has cacti. But if you like beaches/water activities you will probably enjoy. BTW Princess offers a 4x4 excursion on Aruba that is one of my all time favorites.

Bonaire is my favorite dry-type Caribbean island (as opposed to the lush green sort). The snorkeling and diving are beyond fantastic.

Aruba is fun, but a bit more touristic. We usually get a stick shift 4x4 and go off-roading on our own.

Curaçao is beautiful and friendly - the diving isn't as good as Bonaire but it's still a fun day.

All three islands are the victim of higher fuel prices - they really add to the operating costs of itineraries, and very few ships are sailing 7nts from San Juan which makes them more reachable. It's a shame: they're so friendly and fun.

I think there are fewer itineraries to these islands because they are so far away from the Florida cruise-ports, not because they are less desirable. We have been to all of them several times and enjoyed them all.

Aruba is nice, and easy to get around. You can walk off the ship and easily walk to the main shopping areas. Taxis are plentiful and fairly inexpensive, and public buses are easy and cheap to use. Aruba has beautiful beaches and interesting landscapes to see.

Bonaire is also easy to walk from the ship to the main shopping area. It is a wonderful place if you are into snorkeling or scuba. A sight seeing tour of the island is interesting.

Curacao is also an interesting island, and easy to walk from the ship to shopping areas. The architecture is very interesting, as is the swinging bridge across the shipping channel.

We like all three of the A B C's.

Many years ago when Princess stopped at all 3 on different itineraries I always wished that they would stay late at one because it was such a short distance to get to the other the next day. But they never did on our cruises.

Now in order to get back to Ft Lauderdale or wherever else they are heading its usually a really short day (2pm), at least in Aruba. :(

Great Islands and the 8 day cruise you are thinking about stops full days at each.

Aruba - nice downtown, great beaches that you can get to either by public transport or private taxi.

Curacao - Really nice walkable downtown area, (it is the photo you see on many Caribbean cruise ads), tours available around the island, not a really good beach island, but it does have a beach area. Make certain you allow sufficient time to return to the ship as you have to cross the pontoon bridge which frequently opens. When the bridge is open there is a ferry service, but that is slower than the short walk across the bridge.

Bonaire - Nice area along the waterfront. Beaches are coral in that area. One of the best islands for snorkeling & scuba, which is right close off shore

I been to Aruba and Curaçao and found them to be delightful.

As for how far they are, it takes 2.5 days to sail from Aruba to FLL. We did a "14" day Caribbean cruise last year (which was really 2 7day cruises) The first leg covered Princess Cays, St. Maartin, St. Thomas and Grand Turk.

On the second leg we hit Princess Cays, Aruba and Curaçao. That was it. 3 days down (with P.C.), 2.5 days back and some time in the Aruba and Curaçao.

I'm looking at the Emerald over Christmas going to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. I've been to several other Southern Caribbean ports but never these three. There seems to be fewer cruises with these islands, but I'm not sure why. How would you say they compare to other islands? About the same, better, worse?

Those are our favorite islands - but we like beaches and snorkeling.

I'll reiterate what everyone else said about why there are fewer cruises that go there - they're further away from Florida.

The reason for the fewer cruises is because they are so far south of US ports. It's far easier for the ships to go to St. Thomas/St. Martin or the Western Caribbean routes of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. A few years back Princess was offering a 7-day cruise that hit two, but not all three ports, so there were a lot of sea days. If I remember correctly it wasn't that popular and the cruise was heavily discounted on many of the sailings.

Aruba has beautiful white sandy beaches, and the most beautiful aqua blue water.

Bonaire also has clear aqua water and is great for snorkeling. I think there is a nice beach.

Curacao I have never been to, so I can't comment.

These islands are not lush tropical islands like Grenada, St. Lucia, or Dominica, in fact Aruba has cacti. But if you like beaches/water activities you will probably enjoy. BTW Princess offers a 4x4 excursion on Aruba that is one of my all time favorites.

That cruise itself was very popular. It was the cost of airfare r/t to San Juan from anywhere else that wasn't popular. I miss those 7 day southern carib itineraries!!