Time of arrival

pwillmo

I need to ask a question...

We have several options of flying into Rome.. We can arrive Rome time early in the am or later in the day Rome time.

It has been a while since we flew overnight, I don't sleep all that good on a plane.

What are your ideas for those that have flown. Is it best to get there early in the am or just kind of relax the first day and get up the next day ready to go.

One of our choices is to get to Rome at 2:30 in the day.

Thanks,

paula

I just did the Alitalia flight JFK-FCO that arrived at FCO at 6:45am 2 weeks ago. First time I did the early arrival instead of the afternoon one. I had packed a change of clothes on top of my bag so I could quickly change out of my travel clothes when I arrived (I was in transit for just about 23 hours!!!) My hotel room wasn't available when I got into Rome (took the train, then a taxi), so they took my luggage for storage and I went out and walked around for 7 hours. I was a little like a walking zombie, even though I had a lay-flat bed seat in Business class and slept most of the way. Once my room was ready, I took my usual little "power nap", showered and went out on the town for the evening, with dinner at 8pm.

The time that you can check in at your hotel (or store your bags) can be a determine factor; can you stand to wander around for hours or do you want to get in, get settled and then go out?

I don't sleep well on planes either, but hate to waste daytime hours sitting on a plane if I can help it so we always take an overnight flight to Europe, arriving in the morning. The downside is that hotel rooms typically aren't available til mid to late afternoon, so it means checking luggage at the bell desk and not being able to shower. We usually try not to do any heavy duty sight seeing that day; we and just take it easy, have a relaxing lunch somewhere etc. until the room is ready. When it is, we shower and change but try to avoid napping. We power through until bedtime and get a really good night's sleep so we can hit the ground running the next day. All individual preferences though.

Yeah, the nap is personal preference. I've been doing it this way when I travel to Europe for years. It's not a big one, about 30 minutes. But, it's just enough to give my eyes and body a break before gearing up for the evening. I tried doing the "power through" a few years ago when I went to Spain with friends. I didn't do well and was messed up for the next 2 days. If I nap, I'm good to go right away…

On overnight flights I always take the latest - say to Rome leaving JFK about 10:30 PM - landing close to 1:00 PM - getting me to the hotel between 2:00 and 3:00 - when the room is usually ready. If not, we go out for a light lunch and kill time in the lobby if necessary. Then a shower and a one hour nap (no more) gets us in shape for a good dinner then early to bed for a good night's sleep.

I like to arrive as late as possible. The hotel room is likely to be ready, so I can shower and change. Then I do a little light sightseeing, have an early dinner, and go to bed as soon as it gets dark. That seems to reset my clock, especially if I leave the curtains open and wake up naturally to sunlight. I've tried napping, but it just seems to prolong the jetlag. YMMV.

I usually take the flights that leave JFK/ATL in the late evening. But, I used miles for this ticket relatively late (late FEB for a APRIL flight), so I didn't have a choice in the matter (unless I wanted to pay a lot more miles).

Paying for the night before you arrive early is a smart idea. I get many guests at my hotel who do just that. I wish I could have done that, but my employee rate wasn't available the night before my arrival and I didn't want to pay as much as my entire stay would cost for that one night. So, I sucked it up and walked around.

That said, my Alitalia flight in their business class, Magnifica, was excellent! Solid service from the cabin crew, a very nice seat, and probably the best meal I ever had on a flight...

• 2 weeks later...

I have done both and prefer the power through method, but I usually have to take a nap or go to bed early. After one good night's sleep I am fine. I am anxious to get to the fun and see the sites so early morning is my preference. Drop off your bags, go have fun and then early to bed or nap. The key is not to nap too long or you will mess yourself up for the rest of the trip.

The last time we arrived around 8pm and we were tucked in our room by 10 and in bed by 11pm. I was traveling with kids and this was great for them. The previous power through and nap method didn't work so well for them. We had an awesome tantrum outside the gothic cathedral in Barcelona.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The Hilton Hotel connected to the airport by a long overhead walkway offers day rates (9am-6pm). The hotel also offers a free shuttle into Rome.

I have only used it at the end of a trip when I have an early morning departure to avoid having to get up earlier than needed.

As for the choice between early or late arrival I think it depends more on how upto it you feel after a long flight.

My last flight to Rome was two years ago I was in business class on US Airways. Better than economy but not great. Petty early arrival I dropped off the bags at the small hotel (Maison Giulia - they are the best) I was staying at and wondered around town. Short nap in the early afternoon and more wondering around and dinner. After that pretty much adjusted to local time.

Edited by em-sk

We usually do the freshen up thing, catch a half hour nap, walk around close to the hotel for a couple of hours, eat an early dinner, hit the sack about 9 pm and then are ready to go early the first full day. That has seemed to work for us, as long as we are willing to concede that we may need to have a few more relatively early nights. I am intrigued by the booking of a hotel room the day before arrival, and had never though of that. after all, when you have already paid a king's ransom for a European vacation, an extra night is not that much more, considering the convenience it would offer. As I get older, I am looking for ways to make my touring time offer more.

Second the recommendation on the Hilton. Easy for morning flights out of FCO, and the shuttle means you can still enjoy the sights of the city.

Yes, your dining options are reduced and you don't have the city "feel", but it's often the practical answer.