Best Luau in Oahu or Kuaui

Shacky316

Hello. We will be on POA in July with a prestay at Aulani. In trying to pick a luau, I have never seen as much mixed reviews for anything before.

Simply, which is the best luau around taking into consideration the show, food, "authenticity", experience, service?

Here are the ones I know of. We are planning other activities on Maui and the Big Island. Please let me know if there are any others that should be attended:

Oahu

Paradise Cove

Germaines

PCC

Kauai

Kalamaku

Smith Family

Hawaii Alive

Aulii

Hello. We will be on POA in July with a prestay at Aulani. In trying to pick a luau, I have never seen as much mixed reviews for anything before.

Simply, which is the best luau around taking into consideration the show, food, "authenticity", experience, service?

Here are the ones I know of. We are planning other activities on Maui and the Big Island. Please let me know if there are any others that should be attended:

Oahu

Paradise Cove

Germaines

PCC

Kauai

Kalamaku

Smith Family

Hawaii Alive

Aulii

Oahu:

If time permits for a full day visit then the PCC hands down. However, it is not a traditional luau by any means (are there really any??). The PCC is owned by the Mormon Church so if you are looking for a party-type event, do not consider the PCC. It is really for people interested in spending the day and learning the Polynesian culture and history, with an unsurpassed show at night.

If you are looking for a more time-limited event (about 3-4 hours) or a party atmosphere, either of the other two will be fine. They are both about 30 minutes outside of Honolulu, just down the coast a few miles from each other. I went to Germaines years ago and had a good time, but I have no reason to believe that P.C. would not be good also.

Kauai:

The only one that we have been to is Smith's and it was OK, but not near as good as you can find on the other islands. I have never seen the others mentioned.

I second the PCC in Oahu for the most history and educational.

For just a big party ... I've done Paradise, and when I was young and crazy that would be my party choice.

I've done two on Kauai and in my older style like them both but prefer Smith's for the ambiance over the Kalamaku, but like these both over any of the hotels or other one's I've done, maybe it is just that Kauai has become my favorite Island ;)

Another vote for Paradise Cove Luau on Oahu. They show a little Hawaiian culture (lei making, hula lessons, hukilau net fishing, as well as the traditional pig in the ground ceremony, and show). The food is prepared for the masses, so it's buffet style. I believe we were given two free drink tickets with our admission. Outdoors on the beach.

Germaine's was also a great show, but they don't show you any of the other Hawaiian culture mentioned above, just the buffet, drinks and show.

PCC is an exceptional park and as the name says Polynesian Culture it is awesome. But it is not a typical luau. The food is served at a pavilion buffet style. The show is at a huge amphitheatre. Nowhere near the beach and certainly not the party atmosphere a luau has. I believe it is set up with about 6 different islands (Somoa, Marquesas, Hawaii, Tahiti, Tonga, etc.). I think it opens at noon and the evening show makes it an all afternoon event. I don't think we were back to our hotel until around midnight. It is quite a drive from Aulani up to PCC (almost opposite ends of the Island).

I haven't been to a luau on Kauai, so can't speak to those. Maybe check tripadvisor for those named and see what the reviews say.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide.

Isn't PCC no alcohol and no caffeine? Makes it tough to get through an evening especially after a big meal. :D :p

Yes, no alcohol. I had no idea before we visited, unfortunately.

I wouldn't consider using this as my only luau on the islands. It's NOT even close to a real luau and the food was really bad buffet food, at best.

It's a fun day, but just keep your food expectations low and you'll be fine.

(We did the Old Lahaina luau and it was perfect, a really memorable experience)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If staying at the Aulani, Paradise Cove is an easy answer. It's in the same resort complex, and you can walk. Assuming your prestay is at least 2 days, you will have more time on Oahu than Kauai so it makes some sense to do it on Oahu. I haven't attended a luau yet, but have swam in the lagoon at Paradise Cove while the luau is happening and got to see and hear a small part of the experience from a distance.

PCC is literally the exact opposite side if the island from the Aulani, so it would take more of your time getting there and back unless you were planning on being on that side of the island already for a world famous beach or for some tours at the kualoa ranch.

~Katy

• 3 weeks later...

Oahu

Paradise Cove

Germaines

PCC

Kauai

Kalamaku

Smith Family

Hawaii Alive

Aulii

We just got off the POA and we did Germaine's Luau on Oahu the night before the cruise. This was our first Luau so we don't have anything to compare it to. There was a lot of people in attendance. They had the pig ceremony before dinner. I am not sure that they actually make the pig there as when we were walking back to our seats, we passed the buffet line with metal pans labeled "PIG" LOL

The food was decent and the entertainment was good. If you book online you get a free gift at the gift shop. We were given 3 drink tickets too. Soft drinks are complimentary.

I've attended both PCC and Paradise Cove MANY times. I agree with the other posters. PCC is an all day event. Well, it opens around lunch time, but it's an all day thing. Lots to see and do to learn the history of the island and other regions. Think theme park with lots to learn, no rides...unless you count the canoe ride. The food is OK. There are several options there for what and how you eat. I think they are all buffet's. It's probably the farthest away from where you are staying of all the options.

Paradise Cove is an evening thing, lots to see and do. There is alcohol but it's not a drunk fest, the food is about the same as PCC but there's only one option for food. Depending on your ticket you are either served your meal or you go through the buffet. The sunset is beautiful out there. Paradise cove is right on the water so that's a plus that you don't have at PCC.

Staying at Ko'olina, I would go with Paradise Cove if you just want to enjoy the luau, a few drinks and then have a quick trip home.

I read Germaine's offers free transportation pick up from Waikiki. Is this just a one way free ride to the luau and you have to find your own way back or does the free transportation cover both ways from and back to Waikiki?

I read Germaine's offers free transportation pick up from Waikiki. Is this just a one way free ride to the luau and you have to find your own way back or does the free transportation cover both ways from and back to Waikiki?

It's round trip

We did Oahu's Paradise Cove just last week and we couldn't have been more pleased! The dancing was mesmerizing to say the least and we loved the demonstrations and the Huki lau net exhibition in the lagoon.

We thought the food was pretty good too, I cleaned my plate except for the poi:cool:

I suggest paying for the enhanced tickets as they seat you front row/center and you get the better leis (Kukui nut and orchid) and 2 photos with the dancers. They serve you so you don't have to go through the lines. We got $24 in drink tickets also. You are up close and personal like 2 ft away from the dancers.

I would redo in a heartbeat!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: Im born and raised on Oahu

That said OP, if you are staying at Aulani, Paradise Cove is a no brainer. Its right there practically a very short walk away. If you are into alcohol they got that too and you dont need to worry about transportation.

The hula and the dancing is legit and authentic as well. Food is on point.

If you have the transportation Germaines isnt bad either. PCC is quite a distance away and traffic might make you cranky by the time you get there.

But I have always done Paradise Cove on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed nor have the guests that I take there.