World cruise with children

We did a 30 day cruise to the south Pacific and only had one small one onboard. He was one of the officer's child. Only saw him and his mother around lunch time when he and his mother were in the lido for lunch. The officer would come and join them.

Good luck with the planning if you decide to go. Please come back and let us know what you decide to do.

Edited by Hflors

We are thinking about taking a 129 day world cruise with our two children, ages are 2 and 4. Has anyone every done anything like this or heard of someone taking a world cruise with two little ones? If so, how did it go?

Speaking as one who traveled on several passenger liners and cruise ships and visited multiple countries as a pre-teen, I would say that if you are doing this to give the kids "a special experience they will remember forever," then definitely don't do it. They are too young, will remember little if anything. If you are doing it because you and spouse have the time and resources and want to make the trip and "where we go, our kids go also", sure why not? As someone else mentioned, how is it any different for them than being at homecoming? They'll do just fine. Many couples have taken small children on round-the-world cruises in 45-foot sailboats; you will have backup from a large crew. Go for it.

Back on my original point, I can remember a very few aspects of our 2-3 years in Greece when I was 3-5 years old. I can remember very little of our first trip to South America when I was 11ish except for the kids in Trinidad diving for coins. Virtually nothing about the ship. It was just another place, nothing special. Unless they have a horrible experience somehow, they will never remember being on a ship or being ashore in various exotic places.

... As someone else mentioned, how is it any different for them than being at homecoming? They'll do just fine...

I tried to edit this right after I posted it but couldn't get back into CC for some reason. Of course the above was of course supposed to read "...As someone else mentioned, how is it any different for them than being at home with you for a long period? They'll do just fine..."

Not in many parts of the world, no, you can't.

A good part of Asia (China included), a majority of people DO NOT use diapers.

The first time I was in China well over 12 years ago, I was astounded to see Mom's and Dad's just open the legs of the kids pants and let them poop and pee wherever. This was every place and anyplace-street, Tiannamen Square, hutongs, etc. etc. There was even a spot in one of the shopping areas that was designated POOOP center. YUCK!!!

A good part of Asia (China included), a majority of people DO NOT use diapers.

The first time I was in China well over 12 years ago, I was astounded to see Mom's and Dad's just open the legs of the kids pants and let them poop and pee wherever. This was every place and anyplace-street, Tiannamen Square, hutongs, etc. etc. There was even a spot in one of the shopping areas that was designated POOOP center. YUCK!!!

So if (say) a the children of a billion people in China do not wear nappies (diapers), then the children of perhaps half a billion do. With a disproportionately high number of them living in the prosperous coastal regions.

What do Americans who go to work in China do? Do they immediately housetrain their children, or do they get used to the idea of smelly homes and clothes, or do they find places that sell nappies? :)

So if (say) a the children of a billion people in China do not wear nappies (diapers), then the children of perhaps half a billion do. With a disproportionately high number of them living in the prosperous coastal regions.

What do Americans who go to work in China do? Do they immediately housetrain their children, or do they get used to the idea of smelly homes and clothes, or do they find places that sell nappies? :)

Pampers are sold in China, but might not be available in the places that they would be.

But even if a bit of research leaves you worried about getting diapers in China [or any other stop], you'll sure get them in many other ports, my point originally was that the claims that you will need to pack a years worth was just crazy, even if you could only get them in England and Australia you would only need about a months worth at any given stop.

AND I have no doubt you would get them in a lot more locations than just those.

I would have two concerns. First, the ship's doctor is not going to be a pediatrician, and might not have common drugs such as antibiotics available in the proper dose for a small child. Second, some of the areas you would be visiting suggest vaccines for various diseases--yellow fever comes to mind. I would be uncomfortable vaccinating my child against yet another disease while they were already getting so many of the "regular" childhood vaccines.

I would have two concerns. First, the ship's doctor is not going to be a pediatrician, and might not have common drugs such as antibiotics available in the proper dose for a small child. Second, some of the areas you would be visiting suggest vaccines for various diseases--yellow fever comes to mind. I would be uncomfortable vaccinating my child against yet another disease while they were already getting so many of the "regular" childhood vaccines.

Good thoughts. This issue didn't cross my mind but it sure is an important one.

If a tablet is too big, they can cut it in half. If a capsule's too big, they can open it up and repackage the contents.

If a tablet is too big, they can cut it in half. If a capsule's too big, they can open it up and repackage the contents.

Um no, it doesn't always work that way, and they definitely can't just repackage the contents of a capsule. There are medications for certain diseases and conditions that are formulated specifically for pediatric use and a medication for an adult for the same disease is a completely different drug and contraindicated for children. Kids are not just small versions of adults where pharmaceuticals are involved.

Diapers: Both of my children and my Grandson were potty-trained at 2 years old. If you are patient and dedicate some time to it, it can be easily done and that alleviates all the worries about the diapers.

Pediatrician: While the doctors are not pediatricians, they can certainly be in contact with pediatricians from the ship, should the need arise. I would consult with their pediatrician prior to the cruise. If your children are healthy with no issues, I would assume you would want to take some OTC meds for their appropriate age.

Playtime/Playmates: While the ship might not have other children, they are siblings and there are ways that they can play and enjoy the ship, whether it's small or large with their parents and each other.

They won't remember it: The children might not remember it but maybe it's important to the parents to include their children with them. So what if they don't remember it years later. The parents will remember seeing the excitement of their children learning and experiencing different things during the trip.

The behavior issues are different with each child and in each family. My Grandson went on his first cruise at 3 and has regularly been on cruises. He's well behaved and never enjoyed the kid's club or activities. He enjoyed spending the time with the adults and parents. He had good manners, the waiters absolutely doted on him and we feel fortunate after seeing some of the other children on board. If these parents feel comfortable carrying their children and can overcome some of the physical obstacles, I'd LOVE to be able to do this or have done this with my children.

Not all children are able to be potty trained at two. There is more to it than "being patient."" Some children are physiologically unable to have the bladder and bowel control until their body catches up with their cognitive abilities. Making a blanket statement that all two year olds can be potty trained and implying it is the parents fault if they are not is false and hurtful to parents who are struggling with the issue.

A little story about why a pediatrician might be needed... My son got a piece of styrofoam lodged deep into his ear canal when he was two. It had fallen onto the floor while we were unboxing and setting up a new TV. Long story short it caused an ear infection and required special tiny equipment at a pediatric ENT to remove it. His pediatrician did not have the special equipment needed, and no regular doctor or ship medical facility would have, either. Kids are different than adults when it comes to medicine.

A little story about why a pediatrician might be needed... My son got a piece of styrofoam lodged deep into his ear canal when he was two. It had fallen onto the floor while we were unboxing and setting up a new TV. Long story short it caused an ear infection and required special tiny equipment at a pediatric ENT to remove it. His pediatrician did not have the special equipment needed, and no regular doctor or ship medical facility would have, either. Kids are different than adults when it comes to medicine.

Yes, I accept the OP would be increasing the risk to their children because of the dangers of fast-acting fatal ear infections, other problems which can only be treated with a specific brand of children's antibiotic, and numerous other additional risks. But every one of us, adult or child, is increasing our risk of death by getting on a ship, because the medical facilities are not as good as that 1,000 bed hospital that we live next door to. I doubt the additional risk is really enough to make any difference.

If you had the Styrofoam ear, would the doctor on board have been able to treat it? And if not, did it put you off cruising in case it happens to you?

From experience, a child who's sick can get even more sick, much faster than an adult. We were on a cruise where a two year old came on board with her parents, and she had a cold. By the next night, the ship was diverted to a port to medically evacuate this child who was terribly sick and the doctor determined she might have to be intubated. They don't have this ability on a ship. A speedboat met the ship partway from the port and whisked the child off the ship.

Personally, I think kids that age are too young for a world cruise. Just the medical concerns alone give pause. And, when you add in the fact that vaccines might be required, and that young children can't be given those innoculations, would cause anyone to rethink a world cruise. Not only that, but 100+ days within the confines of a ship, with two very young kids, and most likely no kids program, I wouldn't do it---and we have four kids.

Yes, I accept the OP would be increasing the risk to their children because of the dangers of fast-acting fatal ear infections, other problems which can only be treated with a specific brand of children's antibiotic, and numerous other additional risks. But every one of us, adult or child, is increasing our risk of death by getting on a ship, because the medical facilities are not as good as that 1,000 bed hospital that we live next door to. I doubt the additional risk is really enough to make any difference.

If you had the Styrofoam ear, would the doctor on board have been able to treat it? And if not, did it put you off cruising in case it happens to you?

The doctor on board would not have been able to treat my son. We didn't cruise until he was a teen where treatment would be the same as it would be for an adult.