New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

I'm beginning to think that NCL is leaking these very unpopular trial balloons to pave the way for some moderately unpopular policy decisions. By letting the CC community believe for 24-48 hours that food may not be removed from the buffet ' date=' it will make the eventual clarification of buffet is ok but no doggie bags from mdr or specialty restaurants seem like a bargain. [/quote']

I agree with your theory. Time will tell.

So far, FDR is a most "unpopular" guy. But business is business. If "it" (whatever "it" is at the time) makes the business more profitable, it stays.

As to the dishes in the hallway, I've tried leaving my dirty dishes in the cabin. They don't get removed. So much for being considerate of my fellow passengers.

Edited by logan25

One of the biggest consequences of this (if true) would be the inevitable confrontations between staff and pax . I have seen other times when pax were approached by staff about some behaviors and loud (on part of pax) "discussions" followed. It was certainly uncomfortable to witness and not conducive to a relaxing vacation for all.

Agreed. I can envision this occurring. And, right or wrong, the staff will pay the price when people remove their DSC in anger over being hassled on vacation. Doesn't sound like a relaxing time at all. I try to avoid going to guest services, dealing with issues, meeting with managers, having "discussions" etc on vacation. I just want to relax.

The OP deleted the link, for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Here is the article

(4:20 p.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

In other words, if you want to bring food to someone in your cabin or bring your dessert back to your room to enjoy later, you won't be able to do so.

The new policy was confirmed in a statement by Vanessa Picariello, senior director of public relations for Norwegian. The line also posted it on the Cruise Critic message boards.

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants."

It's an unusual policy within the cruise industry, which has generally allowed passengers to not only carry drinks from bar to room, but also to bring plates of food to their cabins.

The "takeaway" rule has prompted a rush of comments on the Cruise Critic Norwegian board, from both supporters and opponents.

"No one in their right mind would take a 'doggy bag' back to the cabin after a meal in a specialty restaurant," says user zqvol. "Hopefully this is true and enforcement is easy -- don't have anything to put the leftovers in. You want to haul a dirty plate around the ship like a clown -- have at it."

Other members are not as convinced. "If it is a 'heath & safety' issue then you would of heard it from national TV, etc. And this would affect all cruise lines and not just NCL," says SAILPRO.

Member Wendy&Grumpy questions the timing. "Because if it was truly about 'a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy' it would have been done long ago, rather than coinciding with a $7.95 charge for room service."

Trevor Fountain sums up the debate by saying, "I try to stick to the rules and if I don't like them I take my future business elsewhere."

Also key to the discussion: How the line will enforce the policy. "Guests will be asked to enjoy their meal in the restaurant," Picariello said.

Norwegian recently rolled out a $7.95 fleetwide service charge for room service orders, expanded its room service menus, amended its pizza delivery program and reduced many specialty dining prices by a nickel. It also waived the cover charge for 12 of the line's Asian restaurants.

I agree 100% not bringing back food to another area, or to your cabin....First of all some people just dont care...in other words....they may just leave the food....leave the dirty dishes on the floor waiting for an employee to pick them up....or leaving dirty plates in the cabin or left over food....this attracts bugs....and that is the last thing someone wants to see when entering their cabin....or other in other areas of the ship....yes some people bring their food into the theater, which is totally uncalled for.... I agree with NCL, about keeping the ship and lounges, and cabin areas, clean at all times.....some people are total "PIGS" and just dont care.... You want a ship to stay beautiful and clean, and up to standards....just folllow NCL's request ..... it is not that hard to do.... you want a cup of coffe or a snack to eat, how hard is it to hop in the elevator and go up to the buffet area...not that hard at all....

I agree 100% not bringing back food to another area, or to your cabin....First of all some people just dont care...in other words....they may just leave the food....leave the dirty dishes on the floor waiting for an employee to pick them up....or leaving dirty plates in the cabin or left over food....this attracts bugs....and that is the last thing someone wants to see when entering their cabin....or other in other areas of the ship....yes some people bring their food into the theater, which is totally uncalled for.... I agree with NCL, about keeping the ship and lounges, and cabin areas, clean at all times.....some people are total "PIGS" and just dont care.... You want a ship to stay beautiful and clean, and up to standards....just folllow NCL's request ..... it is not that hard to do.... you want a cup of coffe or a snack to eat, how hard is it to hop in the elevator and go up to the buffet area...not that hard at all....

I like to sit poolside with my coffee and breakfast. I don't leave a mess. This policy is downright stupid.

I understand what you're saying here :)

However....

what about room service? Room service allows the same 'dirty dishes', 'bugs', etc. that you stated above. Yet, they allow it. So, please enlighten me as to what the difference is between bringing back a tuna sandwich and an ice to to my balcony? Or Milk and cookies to my cabin? It's okay, though, if it's delivered via room service?

And....

What about the suites/Havens who have full dinners delivered to their room?

This does not cause 'bugs' or 'dirty dishes', etc.?

Your theory would only work if there was NO room service permitted and NO food delivered to Suites/Haven.

Harriet

Amazing how people have been doing it for YEARS with no issue :rolleyes: and no, I will not follow any request that bars me from eating my meal outside. Plain and simple.

I like to sit poolside with my coffee and breakfast. I don't leave a mess. This policy is downright stupid.

As do I ... and I shall.

I do agree with eating in the theatre. I personally have never witnessed that, so I think most people have enough cooth not to do it.

how hard is it to hop in the elevator and go up to the buffet area...not that hard at all....

Shoot! I forgot to add my thoughts on the above statement.

For some.....not hard at all :)

However, for some it's very hard.

Those with medical problems...for instance, those who are diabetic. If their sugar falls to low they actually may not have the TIME to get on an elevator to get to the buffet to stand in line and get something to eat before they pass out. That's just one instance of a medical condition.

For others with small children it might be a problem. Mother with two kids...one wakes from a nap and is hungry but mother can't leave the sleeping child alone so the only choice is to (1) let hungry child stay hungry until sleeping child wakes up or (2) wake up sleeping child to all can go to buffet and have moody child for awhile.

In the two above situations it's always nice to have a little something in the cabin. One could save a life. The 2nd feeds a hungry child.

Harriet

It is my understanding that people that take plates, utensils and glass ware tend to put them in the hall after eating, this has been creating issues for people in wheel chairs and people needing to use the handrail. These items are not picked up till the morning cleaning, on many occasions I have returned to my room in the wee hours and have seen 1/4 to 1/3 of the rooms with dishes and accoutrements piled up outside the room. So if you take food for later, leave the dishes in the room.

What I have seen out in the hallways has always been on trays which means that people put their room service trays out in the hallway to be picked up instead of leaving them in the cabin.

I agree that ALL dishes, trays etc should be left in the cabin. My husband walks haltingly with a cane and often has difficulty maneuvering past trays.

Just keep in mind, rumors are just that: We have no clarification about taking breakfast or lunch from the buffet to the tables near the pool area. Let's wait and see instead of thinking nothing but negatives.

Just keep in mind, rumors are just that: We have no clarification about taking breakfast or lunch from the buffet to the tables near the pool area. Let's wait and see instead of thinking nothing but negatives.

I was responding to the person that said no food should be allowed to be taken anywhere because people are slobs.

NCL certainly could and should clarify their position on this.

What I have seen out in the hallways has always been on trays which means that people put their room service trays out in the hallway to be picked up instead of leaving them in the cabin.

I agree that ALL dishes, trays etc should be left in the cabin. My husband walks haltingly with a cane and often has difficulty maneuvering past trays.

Could they not have hourly staff with a bus cart that roam hallways to keep them clear? I mean, I know it's borderline insane to suggest NCL keep their own ships clean and clear, but just an idea.

Yet, above where it asks, it says, :

"(4:20 p.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

So how do you take it? They are banning it but asking you to obey?

Harriet

The "banned" phrase is used by the author of the article, not quoted from NCL.

The author of the article is also the one who included buffet in the list. We do not know if NCL is including the buffet.

Edited by NMLady

Ridiculous rule and it seems that NCL now is all about rules. So much for free style.

Del Rio = Del Ruin.

Special rules for special people - it's okay if one got a butler and concierge at your disposal, odds are one has a bigger Fwd/AFT penthouse or deluxe 2 BR corner "suite", etc. - it's somehow given a waiver and fall under the exception - and I'm NOT using the politically incorrect term of calling it discriminatory, IMO :D For the "little" people stranded in a "tiny" Inside or OV with a small table/dresser, etc. - it's somehow not okay to eat or bring food.

I wonder how some would react if this purported "ban" or restriction or prohibition (dining policy, whatever it's called) would be perceived if it is universal for everyone, including those Haven & full suites ...

As for those trays, it would be simply enough for NCL to put a card inside the stateroom to remind all guests to either leave it inside to be picked up and/or to leave it outside & call the room service team to retrieve them ASAP, or, do they want to charge another convenience fee for the "extra" cleaning since the DSC isn't good enough ?? Feestyle cruising under this regime is clearly getting lots of attention on social media this morning.

Part of the problem is that NCL does NOT and continue not to communciate with the customers - the passengers on the sailing and expect everyone to read minds - what's next, we are going to be asked to take our own garbage to the corner dumpsters down the hallway.

The author of the article is also the one who included buffet in the list. We do not know if NCL is including the buffet.

If there is some miscommunication, NCL's rep, that was online this morning for an hour,could have easily corrected the mistake.

So often silence, speaks volumes...

Edited by ohiogymrat

Well, isn't NCL the cruise line that makes everyone in their stateroom purchase the soda package if one person wants it? I don't drink soda but the person I share a room with might. It's cheaper to bring some along because I won't be buying a drink package. Either way someone has to pay.

Nope, they don't. One or all can buy the soda package. There is no requirement for all in the cabin to purchase.

Let me get this straight.....

If I purchase a bakery item at the onboard bakery, I can bring it back to my cabin to eat at my leisure. But if I purchase a meal at Cagney' and want to bring my desert back to my cabin to eat at my leisure I cant? NCL dictates what I can do with my purchases?

Will I be confronted ....

BAD policy

You are correct. However, with all the hub-bub that's been going on here in CC in regard to the buffet you'd think the NCL Rep would have set the record straight right away.

The fact that they haven't makes me believe it's true.

All I want is the facts, really, is that too much to ask.

Even with all the changes, gives, take-a-ways, add-on's etc. I still love NCL. For *me* their MAIN problem is communication.

Don't let me guess. Don't let me worry about a rumor. Tell it like it is. Be upfront. And let me know about it BEFORE others on a cruise find out about it.

Is that really too much to ask?

Harriet

Nope, they don't. One or all can buy the soda package. There is no requirement for all in the cabin to purchase.

However, if one person buys an alcohol package, all must buy a package

"Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program"

Totally ridiculous for health reasons no take out but for $7.95 no problem delivering food

I can imagine a lot of potential law suits when people with health issues (ie a parent of an autistic child with sensory processing disorder; a diabetic or hypoglycaemic individual who needs to eat immediately in order to not pass out) have stress or issues from this absurd policy.

I have a special needs child who sometimes needs to be away from the crowds or she can have extreme meltdowns.... Does NCL want to make a spectacle of people?

I realize that NCL doesn't care or value its passengers and, as such, will be cancelling our upcoming sailing.

I wonder....

Could the number of people falling down stairs because they're balancing their plates in one hand and beverages in the other be lessened with this rule?

Could spills which cause other passengers to fall be lessened by having properly-equipped people deliver food to rooms (for example on wheeled carts)?

MAYBE it has nothing to do with trays in the hallway, OR the room service charge.

Remember, before 10 a.m. the food you used to go & get for yourself (which you're no longer permitted to do) will be delivered free of charge for you.

Maybe the rule should be revised to No food in the hallways or stairwells. And there should be a room service fee exemption for certain medical conditions.

Stephen

I wonder....

Could the number of people falling down stairs because they're balancing their plates in one hand and beverages in the other be lessened with this rule?

Could spills which cause other passengers to fall be lessened by having properly-equipped people deliver food to rooms (for example on wheeled carts)?

MAYBE it has nothing to do with trays in the hallway, OR the room service charge.

Remember, before 10 a.m. the food you used to go & get for yourself (which you're no longer permitted to do) will be delivered free of charge for you.

Maybe the rule should be revised to No food in the hallways or stairwells. And there should be a room service fee exemption for certain medical conditions.

Stephen

Nope, I still call BS on the whole thing. What you get before 10a.m. for free is not what you can get from the buffet- you get coffee and pastries (maybe fruit). I used to get a full breakfast for DW so she could enjoy breakfast in bed. Del Rio has taken the "we are family" feel away and replaced it with "you are a distant relative we don't want to see too often".

This made me think if it applied to me or not. Based on my previous cruises, the only time I brought food in my room (studio) is cookies and pastries from the Studio Lounge. Will they control that too?

Also, I once brought a plate of fruits to my lounger, by the pool, so that I wouldn't have to leave my chair empty for too long and so that I don't monopolize a table for myself at the buffet. Which makes me think that if everybody that used to bring food to their lounger/room are forced to monopolize a table in the buffet area, there will be a congestion problem there at lunch time during days at sea!

I wonder....

Stephen

Stephen,

In all my cruises I've never heard of any of the above problems occurring.

I believe you've cruised more than I have....is this something you've actually heard about or seen on any of your cruises?

Harriet