Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

I remember last year when NCL and Carnival restricted smoking off balconies these boards were swamped. Can't smoke on the balcony? The outrage! No more cruising! I wondered then, is cruising not more than that?

And now, it's food. You are ALL entitled to your opinions, your choices and your frustrations. But now it seems to me I see those same parallells as before.

From the sound of it we need to be constantly eating while on a cruise ship. Everywhere. In restaurants, while lounging, in our cabins. Really? Without a dining table I find eating in a cabin kind of unappealing. I cruised with my sister in November and I joked on an earlier thread how she brought her take home desserts back to our fridge where they accumulated. I kept my mouth shut so we wouldn't argue. Likewise she wanted to carry our buffet breakfast back to our balcony. We did it once. Again, I did it to make her happy. Juggling my plate on my lap was not my idea of fun. Neither was carrying back food, juice and coffee. I wonder how many people spill? I did not want to leave messy plates in our cabin or in the hallway so back I went to the buffet. So, it seemed a lot off fuss for that "feeling". I just don't get it.

My mom was sick on the Jewel on our TA so she had sandwiches via room service, but other than that we went to the restaurant except when in a suite. And in my experience the delivery and pick up of dishes and having a dining table make that possible. I would not want to sit on my bed and eat dinner. I guess since I do not do that at home I can't imagine doing it on a ship.

Am I the only one who does not get it? Are the new "rules" about take out and room service really deal breakers for so many? Enough to drive you to another line or away from cruising if other lines follow? Or is this the new topic that will eventually go away?

Or is this just the straw that broke the camel's back... On the heels of so many changes? And have everyone rattled asking "what's next?"

Oh heavens: I am with you 100%. That is why I keep posting comments that make me sound like I support NCL 100%. I may not, but I also don't understand the obsession with eating in a tiny cabin. When we do land trips we rarely order room service, why would we do it on a cruise ship? Even when I see people post things like, my kids love room service, I want to say; tell your kids to go to the buffet ? When I hear I like to have a late snack on the balcony before we to to bed; have in in O'sheenans instead of your cabin. I just don't see the big deal. How many times have we all seens those trays outside the cabin with 1/2 eaten food on them? If we are honest, more times than we have seen them empty.

Some say it has to do with all the changes lately: well guess what, we live in a world of changes and nothing NCL has done is a deal breaker to me. If the cruise we booked in Oct went up 50% and we were required to pay it: that would be a deal breaker, but so far, nothing is that dramatic. Some say there have been too many changes, to fast; well I understand but guess, the same ones would gripe if the changes had happened over a year instead of 3 months. If these changes are the end for you, that is your choice. My bet, most of you will get over it and those who do not< NCL really isn't going to lose sleep over your decisions to switch lines. I just wish you would promise to post after you change lines and tell us how the "new" line met your expectations.

Edited by newmexicoNita

For many its "what's next" while the current changes don't necessarily bother me,what if they enter my wheelhouse by charging an access fee for the gym,waterslides and ropes course. Or start to dramatically cut back on port times, in an attempt to increase onboard spending.

It seems clear to me that they are systematically going through all aspects of the cruising experience to see how they can squeeze money out of passengers. While that is their job,don't think they won't hit your wheelhouse at some point.

Glad my cruises aren't close to final payment.

You're missing the point. It's about freedom to do what you want on your vacation.

You hit the nail on the head. Thought it was advertised as "freestyle". Not saying this is a deal breaker, but I'm not going to have someone tell me what I can/can't do on vacation (within reason).

Nope, not changing my thoughts about cruising with NCL. If the rumor about not taking food from the buffet is true, I'll just go up at 3:00pm and sit there while I eat my cookies and/or chips, instead of bringing them back to my cabin.

Wow, that sounds like fun. A scheduled cookie break:rolleyes:

Yes, it's a deal breaker for my family. It's not really because of my kids (youngest is 7), but because of me.

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. I'm in the minority of diabetics, because the majority control their blood sugar through diet and exercise and medications other than insulin. Those of us who take insulin have to be fairly vigilant at making sure our blood sugar stays within the normal range. I've been doing this for more than 30 years, so I've gotten pretty good at it. However, there are times (e.g. when a schedule changes and I'm more active than I normally might be at home), where I might miss the mark on the amount of insulin I need to take. At those times, I can become hypoglyemic, and that can become a medical emergency very quickly if I don't eat something soon.

When I travel, I always bring snacks to have in my hotel room with me. Last year, we took our very first cruise on the Dawn, and we loved it. In addition to the fun of the cruise, one of the side benefits was that I didn't have to pack a ton of snacks. This might seem trivial, but trust me, it isn't. You always need to have a snack with you, just in case, or have ready access to food.

Yes, I understand I'm on a cruise ship and there is food round the clock. However, if I awake at 3 AM and I'm hypoglycemic, I'm not going to want to leave my cabin and find my way to wherever the food is, simply because Norwegian has decided I can't take my snacks back to the cabin with me. During a hypoglycemic episode, a person is not usually thinking as clearly as normal and to me, this possible situation is a needless hassle and potential risk. The easier solution for me and my family is to find another cruise line which allows me the convenience I need, because quite frankly, if I am paying to cruise where there is abundant food, I shouldn't still have to tote my own snacks with me.

Oh heavens: I am with you 100%. That is why I keep posting comments that make me sound like I support NCL 100%. I may not, but I also don't understand the obsession with eating in a tiny cabin. Edited for brevity

For most its not an obsession but an enjoyment or a convenience.

1. My DH and I always order a wine package and while taking showers, getting ready for dinner/night we open a bottle and order fruit/cheese trays from RS. Its lovely, relaxing and we thoroughly enjoy sitting on our balcony while waiting for the other one to finish. Would NOT be the same thing in a restaurant/buffet.

2. We had our DDs family with us last cruise and our infant grandson would take a 3 hr afternoon nap. If was a convenience to darken the room, order room service and have lunch/read on the balcony while using a monitor in the room.

These are just 2 reasons WE order RS but others have their own and it has nothing to do with obsession.

Coming from a family of IT consultants there is no reason why NCL couldnt and should have grandfathered all these changes so that passengers could have made up a well-informed decision with whom to cruise.

Yes, it's a deal breaker for my family. It's not really because of my kids (youngest is 7), but because of me.

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. I'm in the minority of diabetics, because the majority control their blood sugar through diet and exercise and medications other than insulin. Those of us who take insulin have to be fairly vigilant at making sure our blood sugar stays within the normal range. I've been doing this for more than 30 years, so I've gotten pretty good at it. However, there are times (e.g. when a schedule changes and I'm more active than I normally might be at home), where I might miss the mark on the amount of insulin I need to take. At those times, I can become hypoglyemic, and that can become a medical emergency very quickly if I don't eat something soon.

When I travel, I always bring snacks to have in my hotel room with me. Last year, we took our very first cruise on the Dawn, and we loved it. In addition to the fun of the cruise, one of the side benefits was that I didn't have to pack a ton of snacks. This might seem trivial, but trust me, it isn't. You always need to have a snack with you, just in case, or have ready access to food.

Yes, I understand I'm on a cruise ship and there is food round the clock. However, if I awake at 3 AM and I'm hypoglycemic, I'm not going to want to leave my cabin and find my way to wherever the food is, simply because Norwegian has decided I can't take my snacks back to the cabin with me. During a hypoglycemic episode, a person is not usually thinking as clearly as normal and to me, this possible situation is a needless hassle and potential risk. The easier solution for me and my family is to find another cruise line which allows me the convenience I need, because quite frankly, if I am paying to cruise where there is abundant food, I shouldn't still have to tote my own snacks with me.

I am sure exceptions will be made for people like you who have medical reasons for needing the additional snack. Medical concerns are always addressed with understanding from all cruise lines.

Anyone else find it ironic that the most posts are from those who say it doesn't affect them? If that's the case, then why do you hang out on a thread and post several times about something that doesn't affect you? Move along, if there's nothing there for you to see.

I do agree very strongly with those who say all the changes are too much. Too many in a short period of time for my taste. While I do occasionally take a dessert back to the cabin and eat it about an hour later. Can I get along without doing that? Probably, but why should I have to? If I paid for dining in a specialty, that includes dessert and I most certainly do expect to take it with me.

However, the biggest issue is that we book our cruises usually a year out or more. At this rate, God only knows what changes will be made by the time it rolls around. Charging for luggage or the MDR? So yes, it's enough to probably make us jump ship for our November cruise. But it's too late for our cruise in a couple of weeks. I've always wanted to sail on a Solstice Class ship, so that may be our next booking.

I think the only way this might have impacted me was the occasional run to the buffet from the pool deck and back to grab a quick bite and take it back to our deck chair(s). I think I can manage to survive.

For me, this is divided into a few issues. First of all, charging for room service... well, OK, I can deal with a small charge. I don't order it alot, becasue I prefer to have things the way I like it, without extras or lacking in any particular fashion. I also like getting my own stuff and feel lazy when someone does everything for me. I'm a "do it yourselfer". But there have been times when room service is great. What I find outrageous is the price. $8? Really? I could see a small charge, maybe $2 or $3 tops. It's obvious that NCL would prefer that people not use the service at all. I just think the price is WAAAYYY too high.

The second issue is carryout. I fully agree with all the posters who discuss issues with kids. I have traveled with my granddaughter and know that meltdowns can happen at any time and the child needs to be removed from the situation. Much as we'd all like it, Stepford Children do not exist, and even the best kids can cause a horrible scene occasionally. (please don't hit me with the "children should be left at home" speech. This is just not happening in the real world.) Should the parent have to forfeit dinner for doing the right thing and removing the source of everyone else's aggravation? Then, should be parent be forced to "buy" room service in order to provide food for him/herself as well as the child? This doesn't sit well with me.

Then there's the other perfectly valid reasons for needing food in rooms, such as seasickness, other illness, medical conditions such as diabetes, etc. Sure NCL might give clearance to some to be able to remove food from dining areas, but I pity the poor employee that has to be the "leftover police".

Carryout from the buffet is the biggest issue for me. On every one of my 40+ cruises, I have carried some sort of food down to the cabin in the morning so we can prepare for the day ahead while eating. Sometimes dh just does not get up early enough to get up to the buffet. And why should he? He's on vacation!! And on the ships where there is still a chocolate buffet, (which is, incidentally, one of the only times they have decent chocolate desserts onboard, IMHO), it is one of my greatest pleasures to bring a plate of assorted chocolate goodies to my cabin and snack on them as the week goes on. I"M ON VACATION! I can't see how they can pull off policing that policy, but I hate to think that I have to be forced into carrying Ziploc bags in my purse so I can sneak food out.

So yes, it bothers me. Alot. And yes, it affects me. And I too am wondering, what's next?

Anyone else find it ironic that the most posts are from those who say it doesn't affect them? If that's the case, then why do you hang out on a thread and post several times about something that doesn't affect you? Move along, if there's nothing there for you to see.

I do agree very strongly with those who say all the changes are too much. Too many in a short period of time for my taste. While I do occasionally take a dessert back to the cabin and eat it about an hour later. Can I get along without doing that? Probably, but why should I have to? If I paid for dining in a specialty, that includes dessert and I most certainly do expect to take it with me.

However, the biggest issue is that we book our cruises usually a year out or more. At this rate, God only knows what changes will be made by the time it rolls around. Charging for luggage or the MDR? So yes, it's enough to probably make us jump ship for our November cruise. But it's too late for our cruise in a couple of weeks. I've always wanted to sail on a Solstice Class ship, so that may be our next booking.

Want to know why 'Doesn't Affect them' people are posting? Because our reasons are just as legit as those claiming 'Food Policing destroy their vacations'. Nothing more, nothing less - the flip side of the same situation.

Deal breaker for me. I was considering a solo sailing. As such I would most likely use room service more than usual. Once the charge was enacted my thought was I could always pop by the buffet and bring something to my cabin. Well, now that is in limbo. No problem, that is their right but there are other lines that I can choose from. That is the beauty of capitalism; it really is consumer driven. If the changes are so awful folks choose not to book NCL and they will have to adjust their fares to compensate for additional onboard expenses one might incur or they will suffer on the bottom line. One way or another they have to remain competitive. I will be monitoring how this plays out.

Might want to read your contract carefully; it does have a section there that says the cruise line (NCL) can change any policies at anytime - Whether it good or bad, depends.

And therein lies my concern. NCL has shown that they have no qualms with advertising something as being included and then saying "JK, LOL" once I board the ship, and my confidence that what I am being told I am buying is actually what I will receive once I board (or, it seems halfway through the trip) has waned. The fact that "I want to receive what I am being told I paid for" is a controversial opinion is disheartening.

Can NCL do what they're doing? Sure. But I think its bogus.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Want to know why 'Doesn't Affect them' people are posting? Because our reasons are just as legit as those claiming 'Food Policing destroy their vacations'. Nothing more, nothing less - the flip side of the same situation.

I agree with you on this one. :)

This policy doesn't currently effect me now, but it would have for the last five years. My dearly departed Jinglette suffered from chronic health problems and cruising was the only vacation option that worked for us. Breakfast was delivered by room service, lunch was delivered by me from the buffet. Both enjoyed on the balcony. Every other evening we enjoyed a good meal in one of the restaurants.

The room and the balcony watching the ocean were her vacation. I know it doesn't sound like much of a holiday to most of you, but it was for her. That my friends was what she was able to handle.

Many of the changes that NCL has made in the last few months would have effected her vacation to the point where we would have left NCL. I know we weren't the only people who used NCL in a similar manner. I've met many. So you can say it doesn't effect "me", but it might someday.

I'm sure I'll be flamed from bring such a frail lady onto a cruise ship. Jinglette knew she was dying and doing it on a cruise ship would have been ideal for her. My guess is NCL doesn't mind getting rid of people like her.

As I see it, "Freestyle" is dying before my eyes. Not a big deal in the overall picture, but annoying none the less. Nothing stays the same!

Jingle

Edited by jingle5616
one Jingle is enough for anyone!

Might want to read your contract carefully; it does have a section there that says the cruise line (NCL) can change any policies at anytime - Whether it good or bad, depends. Yes, I'm looking at the big picture and it not a HUGE DEAL to me because that a 1st world problem that honest does not affect me much - for one thing, my currently booked room doesn't have a mini-fridge and another I hate food smells in my own bedroom at home; I'm not too wild about it in cabin with no windows. Since I eat at different hours compare to main 'rush' times like 9:30am-12pm (breakfast, brunch or lunch), 1:30-3pm (lunch) and 7pm+ (dinner) for vacation - The policies doesn't destroy my trip like its doing to you and others.

So I guess if you get sick and need to eat in your cabin for a couple of days it won't bother you. I remember distinctly you saying on your last cruise you came down with something and had to go and get food to eat in your cabin. Sure changing your tune here saying you don't eat in your cabin And if you say it's untrue your wrong because I was on the same cruise with you. And you specifically said that you loved eating on your balcony that you upgraded to. So at least be honest with yourself if your not going to be honest with people on this board.

Geri

Oh heavens: I am with you 100%. That is why I keep posting comments that make me sound like I support NCL 100%. I may not, but I also don't understand the obsession with eating in a tiny cabin. When we do land trips we rarely order room service, why would we do it on a cruise ship? Even when I see people post things like, my kids love room service, I want to say; tell your kids to go to the buffet ? When I hear I like to have a late snack on the balcony before we to to bed; have in in O'sheenans instead of your cabin. I just don't see the big deal. How many times have we all seens those trays outside the cabin with 1/2 eaten food on them? If we are honest, more times than we have seen them empty.

Some say it has to do with all the changes lately: well guess what, we live in a world of changes and nothing NCL has done is a deal breaker to me. If the cruise we booked in Oct went up 50% and we were required to pay it: that would be a deal breaker, but so far, nothing is that dramatic. Some say there have been too many changes, to fast; well I understand but guess, the same ones would gripe if the changes had happened over a year instead of 3 months. If these changes are the end for you, that is your choice. My bet, most of you will get over it and those who do not< NCL really isn't going to lose sleep over your decisions to switch lines. I just wish you would promise to post after you change lines and tell us how the "new" line met your expectations.

Very well said!

So let me get this right. If I do not bow down and pay homage to FDR and his rules, I am a whiner and a complainer!

However, it is my money that I am spending on a cruise vacation. If I don't like a policy that goes in effect after I book the cruise, you can guarantee that I will let someone know.

What is very interesting is the lack of response on NCL's Facebook, either confirming or denying the change. Very similar to the initial response about the testing of the convenience fee, until they were forced to respond and apologize for how the change was released.

It seems a lot of question about the accuracy of the article written by CC. The article was written after a confirming conversation with an NCL spokesperson.

Defend as you may with all your rationalization for justification of the policy, dirty dishes in the hallway, no one needs to eat in their room, there is some much food available, etc. The policy does not affect me so why worry about it. In reality there will be a policy change that will have a negative effect on you, but you maybe unable to see the affect through your rose colored glasses.

Simply, this is all about getting an extra $5.00 from your wife (remember FDR's interview).

For me, it really is more of a last straw situation. I also do not think you can compare a policy like this to the policies regarding smoking - a habit that can harm the health of other parties around you and should be restricted.

It's less about outrage that I can no longer eat in my room, and more about the absurdity OF the policy, the implied reasons behind it, and what is means down the line for NCL. Hardly seems fitting to call it "freestyle" cruising.

I genuinely love the NCL brand and haven't had any major complaints, but I can also see what is looking more and more like a slippery slope. In the past two years, it seems that more restrictions and "nickle and dime" behavior has happened here than anywhere else. And yes, I realize I can go elsewhere, and I plan on researching my options for that, instead of my planned January sailing, but it's still a disappointment because of my fondness for the brand, otherwise.

I have no problem with people who are fine with it posting. It's the beating of the dead horse/your chest that becomes a bit much. You seem to have a compulsion to post at least every 20-30 posts on the same thread, using what I'm sure you think is really clever but is really condescending I'm-better-than-you "humor" simply because someone disagrees with you. You are arguing and calling names to those who dare disagree with you.

And if you'd really read the posts instead of just looking for points to attack, you might understand someone else's point or issues. Not to mention, several of us don't think it's just a food issue. It's a control issue on the part of NCL. Freestyle is essentially a thing of the past. I shouldn't have to try to guess what their next rule changes will attack next. So I'm not going to.

Given time to think about it:

Even in a suite, we haven't had the desire to eat in our room. I kind of like gettting out of the room and out and about on the ship. Back in the days when we were in an inside cabin and scuba diving all the time, we would occasionally order some fruit, danish and coffee from room service so we could get an early start on the day. These days it seems we like the non-rushed experience of a sit down meal with people serving us. Therefore, I don't see this as a big deal for us.

The only reason why I'm a bit ticked by this new rule is because I have two young kids travelling with us. (Ages 7 & 4). What I like to do is head up to the buffet and grab breakfast / dinner for them to have them eat in our cabin before they head off to Splash Academy. This way, I don't have to drag them into a very crowded buffet area wait on long lines and search for a table for 20 minutes. It just makes life so much easier for all of us if I can grab a plate for them & have them eat together away from the crowds.

And for what its worth, I never EVER understood the concept of leaving dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway outside the room. That is beyond disgusting in my opinion. I never did that, and certainly never will.

I have no problem with people who are fine with it posting. It's the beating of the dead horse/your chest that becomes a bit much. You seem to have a compulsion to post at least every 20-30 posts on the same thread, using what I'm sure you think is really clever but is really condescending I'm-better-than-you "humor" simply because someone disagrees with you. You are arguing and calling names to those who dare disagree with you.

And if you'd really read the posts instead of just looking for points to attack, you might understand someone else's point or issues. Not to mention, several of us don't think it's just a food issue. It's a control issue on the part of NCL. Freestyle is essentially a thing of the past. I shouldn't have to try to guess what their next rule changes will attack next. So I'm not going to.

Amen!!!