Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

Anyone else find it ironic that the most posts are from those who say it doesn't affect them? If that's the case, then why do you hang out on a thread and post several times about something that doesn't affect you? Move along, if there's nothing there for you to see.

Don't you think a company wants to see a true picture of how their customers feel or do they just want to see those that have an issue with the change. If we only had posts from those that are on one side of this change, it would not give a company a true picture. The voice of the passenger who a policy doesn't affect should be heard just as loud as the passengers who has an issue with a policy.

I think the general intent of the rule is okay and I can understand trying to reduce the volume of trays and food that end up in the passenger cabin areas. Enforcement is going to be interesting to see how it is handled. And what about items that are by definition "to go" like a coffee and pastry you get? Are those only to be consumed in the coffee shop area you purchased them from?

I think the general discontent is because NCL has branded themselves as "Freestyle". And these types of changes go against that branding. So it is offensive to some - and I get that.

I understand the "what's next" worries, but by and large I am not overly concerned. None of the changes thus far have a huge impact on me, and those that do are more minor inconveniences than dealbreakers.

What is irritating to me is all the hoopla over the speculation and unknowns. This whole board gets into a tizzy over things that haven't been announced or have otherwise bourne out in reality. For example: all this griping about not being allowed to carry out from the buffet. While I've seen accounts of people being denied carry out from restaurants (specialty, osheehan's, etc.), I've not see a single account of anyone being forbidden from taking food away from the buffet. So why does everyone act as if that is a done deal and become enranged by it?

As an aside, I am not particularly swayed by the arguments that carry out from restaurants should be allowed because people need to remove their screaming children. I am a mother, and believe me, in her day my daughter threw her share of tantrums in public places much to my chagrin. And I always removed her, sometimes forfeiting my own meal (and the money paid for it). If a particular dining experience were truly important to me, I would not risk it by bringing a child who I was not confident could behave. And if I took that bet and lost, I would not feel entitled to be pandered to because of my poor judgment. There are plenty of valid arguments for and against the new NCL dining policy, but this one is simply not persuasive to me.

I have no problem with people who are fine with it posting. It's the beating of the dead horse/your chest that becomes a bit much. You seem to have a compulsion to post at least every 20-30 posts on the same thread, using what I'm sure you think is really clever but is really condescending I'm-better-than-you "humor" simply because someone disagrees with you. You are arguing and calling names to those who dare disagree with you.

And if you'd really read the posts instead of just looking for points to attack, you might understand someone else's point or issues. Not to mention, several of us don't think it's just a food issue. It's a control issue on the part of NCL. Freestyle is essentially a thing of the past. I shouldn't have to try to guess what their next rule changes will attack next. So I'm not going to.

And if you are reading the posts of who have no issues its pretty much 'I can sit down and enjoy what my appetite can handle'~or~'Eating not the only important activity to do on a cruise, there's other stuff to do too". That and no one is putting agun to your head to cruise with them after finding out about this 'news'.

Oh and plenty of choice words and names for some people -'Eyes bigger than one's stomach', is a mild start. Because that pretty much the major crust of the takeaway policies complaints along side a upset child(ren) - and I have more sympathy for parents dealing with that than the former.

And if you are reading the posts of who have no issues its pretty much 'I can sit down and enjoy what my appetite can handle'~or~'Eating not the only important activity to do on a cruise, there's other stuff to do too". That and no one is putting agun to your head to cruise with them after finding out about this 'news'.

Oh and plenty of choice words and names for some people -'Eyes bigger than one's stomach', is a mild start. Because that pretty much the major crust of the takeaway policies complaints along side a upset child(ren) - and I have more sympathy for parents dealing with that than the former.

When my child is throwing a tantrum and / or sick I will just bring them to the restaurant with me. After all, NCL does not want me to bring anything back to the room for them and I am not paying $7.95 per room service order either and waiting 45 minutes for a messed up order.

I am sure my bonkers and sick child will not have a negative impact on anyone elses relaxing vacation and I'll be following NCL's policies.

I would like to know exactly what this policy entails.

Does it mean I cannot take my hamburger out to my deck chair? How does the crew differentiate who is taking a meal outdoors to eat and who is taking it back to their cabin?

I called NCL this morning to find out how this new policy will be enforced...the nice lady said she had not heard of this latest change. She said the changes keep coming to include those impacting NCL employees. She said she missed Kevin Sheehan. So I am getting concerned.

My personal cruise consultant gets in at 11:00......I will be asking questions.

As a single passenger I pay double (like most cruise lines). I now pay for food in specialty restaurants (additional cost over what is included in the cruise price). So a cruise is pricey, and I understand the need for lines to make money....BUT, I do have a problem with a policy that dictates what I can do with something I paid for. If I decide to take my dessert from Cagneys back to my balcony and I am told no....you can't leave the dinning room.....I do have a problem with this dictating what I can or cannot do with my purchase. If I purchase a bakery item at Carlo's, will I be stopped in the hallway as I return with said purchase?

As for all the comments about plates and trays in the hallways......news flash, that's also people that order room service and put it out in the hall. Just the presence of a tray indicates it was room service.....seeing plates, glasses and the like will not disappear.

I don't like reading all the complaints here on Cruise Critic, but now find I am doing the same. Negatives detract from the joys of cruising, something I have experienced the last 36 years. I have seen the industry change, and in my opinion not always for the good. If this negativity for me continues, then I may have to discontinue cruising.

As for "freestyle" I think it should be changed to a la carte cruising or customize cruising. As for the comment what's next....your guess is as good as mine.

Lack of good communication results in discontent.....And can push people away which is a real shame. Criticizing posters for what they think or what is important to them is sad....but that's the way of the world it seems.

So today I will be asking about this policy, how it will be enforced and then decide whether it is acceptable to me. I hope it does not result in my cancelling the 4 cruises I have booked with NCL.

Stupid action on my part? Maybe, but as a consumer I dictate how and where my dollars are spent. Flame me if you must.

Perhaps if a company is concerned about $, it would be in their best interests to not offer complimentary all-you-can-drink packages as a perk. I would think that they'd probably get more $ from alcohol than hassling people who want to bring a donut to their nursing wife in their cabin.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Lack of good communication results in discontent.....And can push people away which is a real shame. Criticizing posters for what they think or what is important to them is sad....but that's the way of the world it seems.

So today I will be asking about this policy, how it will be enforced and then decide whether it is acceptable to me. I hope it does not result in my cancelling the 4 cruises I have booked with NCL.

Stupid action on my part? Maybe, but as a consumer I dictate how and where my dollars are spent. Flame me if you must.

You are right, if NCL would have come out with a comprehensive press release outlining the changes, then I don't think we would have near the number of posts on the subject or the speculation, etc,. It is just like when they put the 18 percent gratuity on specialty dining. If they would have just changed their website to reflect that complimentary restaurant staff received the DSC, there would have been all the hoo haa over that.

Please let us know what NCL tells you. I've also asked Cruise Critic to check the information in their article, but have only heard that they will get back to me.

For me the reasons I cruise with NCL were because for whatever the "other cruise" lines" offered they; either had no value or NCL was just a better line...???Of late NCL has given me too many reasons to re-think whether or not I will continue to cruise with anybody after my next booked cruise is over...We are booked into a suite for 2016, depending upon how we are treated by NCL and whatever the new polices might be will determine if whether or not we ever cruise with NCL again...Do not want to get into the minutia of past experiences but needless to say, NCL better be very careful of how they treat all of us past passengers in the future if they want a future...

Right now If I were new to cruising and looking for a cruise to book, with all the crap that is going on NCL I would never book with them, never...Especially after reading some of the threads here within CC...Truth is, might be done with cruising, something we have come to really enjoy...Have been a fan of NCL since our first cruise with them, nothings perfect but NCL with its "Freestyle" always made things right...Now Freestyle is all but gone and its my impression that if we're not happy with things as they are, NCL is only too happy to see us walk away...Which is always our right...

Speaking of rights, you do realize that after you sign that contract the only thing they need provide is 3 squares a day and a place to sleep between transporting you from here to there...

Like flying these days, cruising has become less fun than it should be...While I "vacate" I want to have fun, be relaxed, not be nickle and dime'd to death at every turn...I have no problem with the DSC or the gratuities being what they are, just don't "double dip" me is all...The result of this for us is simple, when we get our drinks we will not be adding anything addtional to the existing gratuitiy of 18%...(we have the UDP/promo)Hoping that between now and next year things can be made clearer...???

Take your 5 bucks and enjoy yourself, I know a VAT when I see one...Or is this just a "resort fee" that goes directly into the pockets of the "board"...???

For us, non of the recent changes are deal breakers, but we will take them into consideration when booking our next cruise.

It's really not the cost. We're in a position where we can afford the incremental charges, and I think cruising is still a bargain. If we get to the point where we can't afford to cruise, we'll find another way to vacation.

What does bother me is the incremental changes and they way they have been handled. We did our first cruise on NCL a year ago and loved the whole freestyle concept. We enjoyed it so much that we booked again for this fall. Since booking NCL has done the following...

• Increased the DSC - not a big deal, the crew deserves it.
  • Increased the mandatory gratuity on drinks - I'm not a fan of mandatory gratuities in the first place, but this is common on other cruise lines.
  • Implemented a mandatory gratuity of the specialty restaurants - Again, not a fan of mandatory grats. In this case I think it will cost the crew members money because folks who would have left more than 18% won't bother now
  • Added a service charge on room service
  • prohibited taking food back to the cabin

Non of these were in place when we booked. If they had been, I MAY have decided to book with another line.

Also, i see a lot of folks mentioning food in the hallways. When we have ordered room service in the past the crew member who dropped it off told us to leave the tray outside our door when we are done, so I doubt that the prohibition on food in the cabin will end that.

So let me get this right. If I do not bow down and pay homage to FDR and his rules, I am a whiner and a complainer!

However, it is my money that I am spending on a cruise vacation. If I don't like a policy that goes in effect after I book the cruise, you can guarantee that I will let someone know.

What is very interesting is the lack of response on NCL's Facebook, either confirming or denying the change. Very similar to the initial response about the testing of the convenience fee, until they were forced to respond and apologize for how the change was released.

It seems a lot of question about the accuracy of the article written by CC. The article was written after a confirming conversation with an NCL spokesperson.

Defend as you may with all your rationalization for justification of the policy, dirty dishes in the hallway, no one needs to eat in their room, there is some much food available, etc. The policy does not affect me so why worry about it. In reality there will be a policy change that will have a negative effect on you, but you maybe unable to see the affect through your rose colored glasses.

Simply, this is all about getting an extra $5.00 from your wife (remember FDR's interview).

I have to ask you 2 quesions: 1-the op asked if this was a deal breaker for you? well is it?

2-Is there anything that requires any of us to order room service? If not, then how do you justify saying it is getting the $5 and even if it is, so what?

Don't you think a company wants to see a true picture of how their customers feel or do they just want to see those that have an issue with the change. If we only had posts from those that are on one side of this change, it would not give a company a true picture. The voice of the passenger who a policy doesn't affect should be heard just as loud as the passengers who has an issue with a policy.

You certainly have hit the nail on the head; like any debate, both sides need to be heard and represented. I am sure NCL is reading what each of us have to say regarding any changes, even the positive ones. How many are saying to NCL: thanks for putting the Asian restaurants in the "free"catagory.

BTW: for all of you who are saying NCL is no longer "Freestyle" I doubt you have any idea what "freestyle" meant at the beginning back in 2001. It had nothing to do with overall outlay of money for heaven sake.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I have to ask you 2 quesions: 1-the op asked if this was a deal breaker for you? well is it?

2-Is there anything that requires any of us to order room service? If not, then how do you justify saying it is getting the $5 and even if it is, so what?

The food issue is not a deal breaker for me but Del Rio is taking NCL in a direction that I don't care for with all of the changes (and I think he is just getting started). As I've said in previous posts on related topics NCL has lost the goodwill that they had earned from me and now it comes down to dollars and cents- if they can offer me the same itinerary as another cruise line at the same or lower price then I will book with them (at least until I start seeing that NCL has become nothing more than Oceania-lite, at which point I'd probably not even look at the price).

Deal breaker for me, but more on principal. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Getaway cruise this October. But if they dont want me to bring back a couple of cookies or dessert to enjoy late night on my balcony, then so be it. I bet they wouldnt mind if I bought some snacks in the gift store or coughed up 8 bucks for room service.

So I will be sticking with RCCL.

NCL is making these moves to reduce costs. They are choosing areas that impact the customer experience and value model.

1. Restricting taking food back to the room wouldn't be a big deal if room service didn't cause a $7.95 fee.

2. The fee isn't designed to raise revenue, it's to serve as a deterrent to placing room service orders. Not enough room service orders less staff required.

3. Food not eaten around the ship, less clean up, work. Again fewer crew hours needed to clean and shine.

4. Food not removed and taken back to cabin never to be eaten, leads to less food waste so lower grocery expenses.

5. Reduction of these changes will come when customers make different choices or staff choose other employment options. I'm not suggesting anyone do anything to "show NCL", just indicating how businesses tend to react.

6. The consistent cruiser likes the service level of cruising, remove those and those bread and butter customers will find other vacation options. Those customers have the time, resources and desire to travel, NCL and cruising won't be the only option.

My family likes to vacation, this cruise is our next one. We may book NCL again soon or we may not, but certainly NCL is starting from a deficit with recent changes. We own a timeshare free and clear, so we would normally come out of pocket for more cash to cruise than to fly and enjoy a resort for a week. Given our extra expense cruising needs to offer us some additional items.

Edited by Nola26

I would not be surprised to see people packing tupperware containers in their luggage on upcoming cruises....

:D Don't underestimate people when they are pinching pennies....

It quickly adds up...

Sitting on the Balcony with a Hot cup of coffee and dessert is life's little pleasures...

But not a $7.95 Pleasure....

Edited by warriorking

You are right, if NCL would have come out with a comprehensive press release outlining the changes, then I don't think we would have near the number of posts on the subject or the speculation, etc,. It is just like when they put the 18 percent gratuity on specialty dining. If they would have just changed their website to reflect that complimentary restaurant staff received the DSC, there would have been all the hoo haa over that.

Please let us know what NCL tells you. I've also asked Cruise Critic to check the information in their article, but have only heard that they will get back to me.

Here you go again making me agree with you lol

Yes, this would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Not for cruising in total but just for NCL or any line that tries to enforce this policy.

If we have high waves and I get seasick while sitting at the table (watching the horizon bob up and down), I'm going to go back to my cabin and lay down. I expect my already-ordered food to be packed up and brought back to me, to be eaten later. They're already sending it to the table, so it's either that or they throw it away.

We had exactly this scenario with my daughter during Hurricane Sandy. We were able to eat at the table, she was not and went back to our room - before the meal was served. They packed up her food and we brought it back with us. She ate it a few hours later, after lying down, not being able to see outside, and having a Dramamine.

I most definitely expect this to happen if we're in a venue where we're paying extra money for special foods and service.

If we're not allowed to carry away an uneaten meal, or if we must resort to paying for room service for a week if quarantined in our cabin with norovirus - which we wouldn't be able to easily afford on our shoestring budget - then yes, that's enough to break the camel's back and we will no longer sail on NCL.

This new policy just makes the other lines look more friendly and more affordable.

Two things:

1) Del Rio isn't running NCL. Andy Stuart is. Del Rio is running NCLH which is the parent of NCL and includes Regent & Oceania. Day-to-Day decisions are most likely Andy's. Maybe we're seeing Andy's pet-peeves from his 16+ years at NCL being corrected.

2) Looking at the horizon bobbing up & down is one of the BEST things you can do for sea-sickness. As I understand it, motion sickness is frequently (always?) due to a disconnect between what your eyes see, and your inner ear senses.

That is, your inner ear (balance central) says....ooohhhh....everything is wobbly. Your eyes look around the room, and all the tables are still where they were a second ago, so they tell your brain...nope...all is good here. And your stomach goes....I've had enough of this, everybody out!!!

But when you reconnect the sensation your balance feels (movement) with the bobbing horizon, your eyes & balance accord with each other and the stomach shuts up.

That's my understanding of the typical process.

Stephen

I just have to say, that I have also had Type 1 diabetes for 30+ years.

And there is no way that I am relying on food from the buffet to help me out when my blood sugar goes low. I bring my own remedy on board. Granted, we've already paid for the food we are going to eat that week, but spending an extra $2.50 on my preferred blood-sugar raiser before we get on the ship is worth the peace of mind.

Like many have said, no one has actually confirmed that you cannot take food from the buffet, anyway. How are they going to stop that? The only ship I've been on is the Epic, and there is seating beyond the buffet that you have to carry you food out to in order to sit. How are they going to decide if you are going outside to sit or taking the food to another destination?

None of these changes/charges bother me. NCL is still the best choice for us and our money. Others may find a better value elsewhere and that is to be expected. I just hope that everyone who has cruises coming up shortly is able to relax and enjoy their trips!

You certainly have hit the nail on the head; like any debate, both sides need to be heard and represented. I am sure NCL is reading what each of us have to say regarding any changes, even the positive ones. How many are saying to NCL: thanks for putting the Asian restaurants in the "free"catagory.

BTW: for all of you who are saying NCL is no longer "Freestyle" I doubt you have any idea what "freestyle" meant at the beginning back in 2001. It had nothing to do with overall outlay of money for heaven sake.

Op here.

Here is MY feelings on the Asian restaurant being complimentary now.

No, I am NOT thanking them for this change.

I was on the Jewel 4/4-11/15 and this change was newly in effect.

The place was a zoo. We were given a beeper and told the wait was approx. 45 minutes. Ok, no biggie.

My niece and I got a seat at the Sushi bar and ordered some ala carte sushi. It was reasonably priced, beautifully presented, a generous portion and very tasty.

When our beeper went off we moved to our table. Obviously, this new change had rattled the staff. It was pretty unorganized. Ok, again, no problem, they were trying.

Here is where I felt they fell short:

1. The menu has changed. No more banana pancakes! The best dish on the menu is GONE! Tears.

2. My niece is a vegan. Not one dish off the menu could be prepared for her with just veggies. No vegetarian options on the menu. Her only option was more veggie sushi.

I has soup and a few appetizers. I was not impressed with any of them as far as taste.

So, for me, I would have preferred it the "old way", pay $15, have a reservation, better menu and the banana pancakes!

BTW, the wait was bad all week. People lined up in the hall. We stopped one night to chat with friends who had been told 45 minite wait. They inquired after an hour only to find out that the beeper system was having problems and theirs, as well as others near them, were skipped in the que system.

I think it's clear from these posts that all people with children should now choose another cruise line with immediate effect. It really is not on that the takeouts have been banned like this thus keeping youngsters out in the general population/public areas all the time...

In fact NCL should not allow any children on the ships at all to avoid any problems.

Ah I can but dream of such an outcome ;-)

NOTE: This is an attempt at humour, not a serious post.

I can't imagine eating in the cabin. They are tiny as it is and bringing food to the cabin does nothing but make it smell nasty. Hopefully this will result in cleaner more sanitary cabins, cleaner and less stinky hallways, less work for the stewards and a more enjoyable overall cruise experience. :):):)

This issue has never been about snacks, such as cookies, its about the plates of food that get left everywhere and end up making the whole ship smell.

No one is going to stop you from taking cookies or yoghourt back to your cabin in your book bag. No one is suggesting that they are going to stop selling candy and other snacks in the gift shops.

This is all about nasty plates of food that become disgusting after an hour out in the hot, humid air that permeates a cruise ship.

Kudos to NCL and hopefully they stick to their guns.

everyone has there own thing, and just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean you should judge others who find it important. We have a cruise booked for Novemeber. I was planning on ordering my 3 and 5 year old room service while my husband and I get ready for dinner or have a drink on the balcony, then drop them off so we can have a peaceful dinner. This cruise we may be done with naps, but last cruise one of us would bring our little back for a nap while the other brought back a lunch or ordered room service. We've always enjoyed breakfast on the balcony or in bed and sometimes a late snack in room.

This will be my 2nd cruise using cruise critic and I come to cruise critic to get excited about our trip and read some tips. Our last cruise was on Carnvial and I loved reading the reviews and posts. This time I'm just getting concerned. I've sailed NCL several times before then we took a break for a few years, now that we're coming back I hope I don't regret it.

I can't imagine eating in the cabin. They are tiny as it is and bringing food to the cabin does nothing but make it smell nasty. Hopefully this will result in cleaner more sanitary cabins, cleaner and less stinky hallways, less work for the stewards and a more enjoyable overall cruise experience. :):):)

This issue has never been about snacks, such as cookies, its about the plates of food that get left everywhere and end up making the whole ship smell.

This is all about nasty plates of food that become disgusting after an hour out in the hot, humid air that permeates a cruise ship.

Kudos to NCL and hopefully they stick to their guns.

Okay, I do follow you.

However....

What about room service? Room service makes the cabin smell nasty. Room service won't make a cabin cleaner and more sanitary. Room service won't make hallways less stinky.

Harriet

Two things:

1) Del Rio isn't running NCL. Andy Stuart is. Del Rio is running NCLH which is the parent of NCL and includes Regent & Oceania. Day-to-Day decisions are most likely Andy's. Maybe we're seeing Andy's pet-peeves from his 16+ years at NCL being corrected.

Stephen

Andy Stuart may be in nominal charge but he is dancing to Del Rio's tune, I can not believe otherwise after reading Del Rio's interview. He has a firm picture in his mind where he wants to take NCL and Andy is likely to have little say in where that is to be.